Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reintroducing neutered son? #671605
11/10/08 01:10 PM
11/10/08 01:10 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
Okay, I have a plan. My pair, Gizmo and Sprocket are in one cage. Giz is fixed. VanGogh, their son, is about four months old and in his own separate cage. I want to get him fixed in the next few weeks (Christmas gift from my roomie grin ). After VanGogh has some time to recover, I would really love to reintroduce him to his family. They have been apart for 6-8 weeks.

Do you think I will have any luck with this? Are there any risks I need to be made aware of? I worry the boys will fight over Sprocket, but they shouldn't if they are fixed, right? If I act fast, I might get the snip in on VanGogh before he reaches maturity as well. Would that help or matter?

I know all intros come with their own unique challenges, but I haven't ever reintroduced a male to a male/female pair before. I'm a tad nervous. I plan to follow normal intro techniques. I want to swap pouches, etc for awhile before tossing the three together and I plan to introduce them all one at a time. I don't think Sprocket will have any problems with VanGogh. It's only Gizmo and VanGogh I worry about.

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Reintroducing neutered son? [Re: StitchsMom] #671642
11/10/08 02:20 PM
11/10/08 02:20 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Originally Posted By: StitchsMom
Okay, I have a plan. My pair, Gizmo and Sprocket are in one cage. Giz is fixed. VanGogh, their son, is about four months old and in his own separate cage. I want to get him fixed in the next few weeks (Christmas gift from my roomie grin ). After VanGogh has some time to recover, I would really love to reintroduce him to his family. They have been apart for 6-8 weeks.

Do you think I will have any luck with this? Are there any risks I need to be made aware of? I worry the boys will fight over Sprocket, but they shouldn't if they are fixed, right? If I act fast, I might get the snip in on VanGogh before he reaches maturity as well. Would that help or matter?

It depends on how long they have been separated. If it's only been a short while, chances are they might just fall right back into place with one another.

Sometimes having them neutered will calm them down, however, each gliders personality is different so I would not take any re introduction lightly.

I know all intros come with their own unique challenges, but I haven't ever reintroduced a male to a male/female pair before. I'm a tad nervous. I plan to follow normal intro techniques. I want to swap pouches, etc for awhile before tossing the three together and I plan to introduce them all one at a time. I don't think Sprocket will have any problems with VanGogh. It's only Gizmo and VanGogh I worry about.

As long as you do the "slow" introductions, observe their behavior towards one another for a few days or so to see if there is any type of resistance happening. I strongly advise NOT to assume on the first few times that they are going to adjust. I've seen a few instances where it looked like they were going to be alright, but in turn the gliders fought during the night and caused serious problems.

You know your babies personalities better than anyone, so follow your instincts...I'm sure everything will flow smoothly.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Re: Reintroducing neutered son? [Re: LSardou] #671930
11/10/08 09:53 PM
11/10/08 09:53 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Getting the son fixed before he reaches maturity will help because it will reduce his interest (he may not be interested at all) of mating with his mother. The arguments between males often comes from territorial issues relating to food and mating rights. If the father is able to maintain his dominance, there are fewer problems than when the son has come into his own (sexual maturity).

I have three generations of boys. All are fixed now, but the oldest male, Dakota and his son, Pascal absolutely DO NOT and WILL NOT get along. I would love to have a large family colony, but the boys won't have it because eventhough they are both fixed now, they were both mature males when they were fixed and can't get over their territorial issues with each other.

Pascal's son, Cayden was fixed just as he was reaching sexual maturity (the vet wanted to wait until a certain weight). I thought we had caught him early enough, but for the first year, there were still several arguments when Lili went into heat. Pascal won out and Cayden no longer shows any interest in mating, but he will still fight over food occasionally when he is being honory.

I also have the unusual situation in that a friend of mine that used to live nearby has Pascal's younger brother. He was neutered before he reached maturity and for the first 3 1/2 years of his life, he came to visit his me and his parents (Kira and Dakota), and occasionally stay with me for a few days when my friend went out of town. Dakota NEVER fought with this son, ever. They welcomed him every time he came back to see them whether it had been weeks or months between visits.

BUT, please understand that I also realize that Kira and Dakota are very unusual glider parents and from my understanding, most gliders are not this way with their joeys after being separated for so long and WILL fight. My intention in telling their story was to describe the difference between ages of neutering and how it affected the relationship with this family of gliders. I think neutering the sons early makes a difference.

If you keep parents and joeys separated for a significant amount of time, then you need to test the waters and go through proper introduction processes to make sure everyone will be safe. thumb

(Sorry that was so very long winded blush )

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Reintroducing neutered son? [Re: sugarlope] #671949
11/10/08 11:10 PM
11/10/08 11:10 PM
Perry, Iowa
josefine Offline
Glider Addict
josefine  Offline
Glider Addict

Perry, Iowa
no one should ever appologize for thinking they said too much!! please don't feel that way.
there are way too many of us out here that need all the long winded knowledge & direction that anyone is willing to take the time to teach us.
each of you are taking precious time away from doing other things in your life to answer our ?'s & give us advice.
i will always be greatful
talk @ ya L8R
josefine

Larry & Josefine Vodenik
2014 4 St
Perry,Iowa50220
515/321-6081cell#
j.vodenik@hotmail.com
Re: Reintroducing neutered son? [Re: josefine] #675100
11/16/08 03:48 AM
11/16/08 03:48 AM

S
ShyRascal
Unregistered
ShyRascal
Unregistered
S

Yes, I would like to thank you too. In all that, you answered 2 different questions I had. I always feel awkward when I have to ask someone to expand on something they have answered.

Re: Reintroducing neutered son? [Re: ] #675297
11/16/08 03:17 PM
11/16/08 03:17 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
Yes, thank you for the responses. I'm actually a bit more worried about intros now than I was before. I really hope it goes well, but I noticed the bald spot trying to come in on VanGogh and he's starting to get fussy with me. Seems like maturity is hitting now.

I'm dealing with the parasite thing first and if my babies test negative, then I'll have VanGogh fixed. One thing at a time, you know? I am still going to try to put him in with his family again, but I understand that it will be a process. I'm just really hoping to see the three of them together again. However, if it doesn't work out, I have no problem finding him a pretty girlfriend to keep him company. That really is my last resort though. I'd much rather have the trio in one big cage.

I'll keep you all posted on the process. thumb

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Reintroducing neutered son? [Re: StitchsMom] #675425
11/16/08 07:37 PM
11/16/08 07:37 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
As I said, Cayden matured before he was neutered, but he and dad have figured it out. I hope everything goes well with testing, neutering and intros. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024