Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Important message on treating sick gliders #681901
11/28/08 02:33 PM
11/28/08 02:33 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline OP
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline OP
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
I did not know about the best way to treat gliders when they are sick, until an informative and detailed discussion with Bourbon. I wanted to make a post about this for those who may not know about this like me.

I have a trio cage with mom (Roxy), dad (Eddie) & daughter (Lily). In September '08, Roxy became sick with a parasite. She did not have Giardia. I was told that this parasite could only be passed on if the others ate her poop. I was told to separate her from the others so that they would not get infected. Again I wish I had known then what I do know now. **PLEASE DO NOT EVER SEPARATE YOUR GLIDERS FROM THE SICK ONES UNLESS YOU FEEL OR KNOW THERE MIGHT OR WILL BE HARM CAUSED TO THE SICK GLIDER!!** Since Roxy was diagnosed while already caged with her family, they more than likely have been exposed already. Unless your vet can absolutely know for a fact that the other gliders do not have the parasite then you CANNOT TAKE FOR GRANTED that they do not have it just because a fecal smear/float comes back negative.

IT IS IN THE BEST INTEREST HEALTH WISE TO JUST KEEP THAT GLIDER WITH THEIR FAMILY AND TREAT THE WHOLE CAGE!!

Treating the whole cage gives a better chance of the parasite not staying dormant and then begin being passed around again and having to constantly give meds. Less stress and better results can come from just treating the whole cage.

Roxy was treated with Flagyl for 7 days on then 7 days off and 7 days back on. This was done to make sure that not only the parasites were killed but also their eggs. During this time Roxy was separated from her family which was a horrible experience to had to have deal with. I am going to have to go back to the vet and explain about the situation. They are all acting normal but that does not mean that the parasite is gone. I will be making an appt for all 3 to discuss getting enough meds to treat the whole cage.

There are a couple questions I will be addressing to help my vet understand.
1. If she was already with her family when diagnosed, how did she get sick then?
2. Can you absolutely guarantee that the rest of her family definitely does not have the parasite within them?

I will say this again because of how important it is:

DO NOT EVER SEPARATE YOUR GLIDERS FROM THE SICK ONES UNLESS YOU FEEL OR KNOW THERE MIGHT OR WILL BE HARM CAUSED TO THE SICK GLIDER!! TREAT THE WHOLE CAGE!!

Thankyou so much Bourbon for your help!! hug2 I hope this infomation will be able to help others who don't know ahead of time.

Bourbon, if you get to read this and I missed anything, please correct or add to this message.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #681905
11/28/08 02:45 PM
11/28/08 02:45 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
When you have discovered ONE of your gliders have a parasite ALL gliders should be treated, whether they are negative or not...

Also they should NOT be seperated as this will cause stress to the gliders involved, therefore lower the immune system and allowing the chance for any dormant eggs/cysts that are laying to hatch and become worms...

It is recommended to rid of parasites to use panacur, strongid-t or ivermectin. Flagyl is normally given to help in the case of diarrhea.

Good post.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: Srlb] #681907
11/28/08 03:01 PM
11/28/08 03:01 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
Glider Addict
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Thankyou very much Peggy for the information! It is greatly helpful

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack

Crabby Crew

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #681924
11/28/08 04:05 PM
11/28/08 04:05 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Wow, this is good information. Who would know? Not all of us! I am getting my babies tested in the next couple of weeks, just because of all the "stuff" going around, and I'm paranoid. Now I know, if only one is positive, what to do. I also like the idea, Peggy, of knowing which meds are recommended. Again, Thanks you 2! thanks

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: SariYappa] #681937
11/28/08 04:39 PM
11/28/08 04:39 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
Glider Addict
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
You are welcome Sari. I'm just glad that this message has already helped someone. I hope it just helps more.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack

Crabby Crew

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #681939
11/28/08 04:41 PM
11/28/08 04:41 PM

G
glidernanny
Unregistered
glidernanny
Unregistered
G

Mods-any chance this could be a sticky for easy reference in the future?

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: ] #682055
11/28/08 09:26 PM
11/28/08 09:26 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I just wanted to comment that this advice is great for gliders infected with a parasite, but not necessarily true for any "sickness." So, when you have a SICK glider, please be sure to define what the sickness is before you decide whether it is in the best interest to separate the glider. There are some times when a glider may be "sick" but not with a parasite. In some instances, it is best to separate a glider and treat only that one glider - some things you do not want to treat a whole cage for. This is very excellent advice for the treatment of a parasite, but it does not encompass all illness.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #682101
11/28/08 11:29 PM
11/28/08 11:29 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
Glider Addict
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Thankyou Val! I knew it did not apply to all "Sick" gliders but could not find the right words to express that. Thankyou for taking care of that and adding great advice.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack

Crabby Crew

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #682187
11/29/08 02:18 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Not sure why a vet would suggest seperating a glider for the family unit if the parasite is contagious. If one of the members in a cage is positive for a parasite... then the whole family needs to be treated.

Now, being ill from a bacterial illness due to an overgrowth... usually only the sick glider in the group needs to be medicated. Do not suggest removing the sick glider as this does cause more stress because he has been pulled from the family unit. And it is even more stressful when the glider has to be reintroduced into the group when well.

Other illnesses... like abcesses and such... do require the sick glider to be removed.

Treatment with flagel... should be three rounds of seven days on the med and seven days off. This is to insure that all the eggs have hatched and are gone.

Should a parasite be found in one cage of gliders.... then all of the gliders in a glider room should be treated due to cross contamination with other cages. While it is miserable for the owner to treat all twice a day... it is best to do so to eleminate the possibility of another breakout and having to repeat the process.

Also.. do not forget to follow up with another parasite check in thirty days.

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #682188

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Thank you Melissa, Peggy and Val!
Good to know ahead of time smile

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: ] #682273
11/29/08 10:44 AM
11/29/08 10:44 AM
Dayton, Ohio
C
Glider Addict
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Judie
My vet wanted her separated because at the time her mate and daughter tested negative for the parasite and he was trying to keep from her family getting the parasite also. The parasite was not as contagious as Giardia, only if they ended up eating her poop.

This is why I posted this message because since she was already with her family when diagnosed then the whole cage should have been trated. Since they also shared the same food and water bowl then it was more than likely already passed around all 3 of them. This is why I need to go back and inform him about this and get them treated again to make sure. Better to be safe than sorry, I don't want them to have to suffer or keep having meds shoved down their throats on and off.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack

Crabby Crew

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #682370
11/29/08 03:15 PM
11/29/08 03:15 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Just a little off_topic but how did you administer the Flagyl to your glider? My son was prescribed Flagyl, he would take it in the bathroom because it made him vomit! His was in pill form.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: GliderNursery] #682390
11/29/08 04:13 PM
11/29/08 04:13 PM
Ft. Pierce, FL
thefotokat Offline
Glider Slave
thefotokat  Offline
Glider Slave

Ft. Pierce, FL
Like Val said, each illness is different. Unfortunately, there are no all encompassing rules for treatment as much depends on each case. Also want to stress that no introductions should be done while any glider is ill...regardless of whether all gliders have the same illness...as that stress can cause further problems. Common sense is one of our most valuable weapons in fighting illness.

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: thefotokat] #682404
11/29/08 04:38 PM
11/29/08 04:38 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Maybe I've taken it for granted because I've been around animals all my life but I thought it was all common sense when treating parasitic issues.

It is standard practice that if you treat any animal with a parasite (protozoas, helminths,anthropods etc), you treat the lot often including members of the human family too as a precautionary measure! Many animal parasites can be passed onto humans too and some of these can be particularly dangerous such as giardia, toxoplasma etc. Your human family are just as exposed as your animal ones!! Seeing all animals are being treated, there should be no reason to seperate them from their cage mates.

Oh and as Judie said, in regards to other illnesses or injuries etc generally you try and keep animal families together where possible as the less stress is always best and seperating can be quite stressful.

However there are times when there are illnesses or injuries that do require removal from a group purely for the wellbeing of the animal that is being treated as well as it's cagemates. It is definitely a case by case assessment for each animal in that scenario and not one done lightly as yes animals nearly always do better with companionship of their mates.

Oh and ditto to what photokat said!!

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: Marz] #682457
11/29/08 06:57 PM
11/29/08 06:57 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
Glider Addict
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Shelly, the Flagyl was in liquid/paste form already mixed in an oral syringe for me

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack

Crabby Crew

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #682460
11/29/08 06:59 PM
11/29/08 06:59 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
Glider Addict
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Marz, this is my first time having animals that are so strick within a family unit. The only parasite i've dealt with is, I had a german shepherd puppy that ended up with Parvo and I already knew about that illness. Treating parasites is not always a common sense thing if you are not used to it or never dealt with it in animals.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack

Crabby Crew

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: CharmedSuggies] #682480
11/29/08 07:33 PM
11/29/08 07:33 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: CharmedSuggies
Marz, this is my first time having animals that are so strick within a family unit. The only parasite i've dealt with is, I had a german shepherd puppy that ended up with Parvo and I already knew about that illness. Treating parasites is not always a common sense thing if you are not used to it or never dealt with it in animals.

Sorry Melissa my reply was not intended at you specifically and I would never single anyone out in that manner. It was more of a general reply to all the posters as well as other threads and instances that are currently being reported with parasites etc in the glider community. It appears that a lot more people than I thought, have not dealt with these issues before and on a learning curve with it.

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: Marz] #682545
11/29/08 10:28 PM
11/29/08 10:28 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Marz, do you guys ever deal with this there?? The Parasites I mean...

Also a bit off topic, but couldnt help but notice how gorgeous...what is the weight of that glider in that avatar of yours coming in at??

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: Srlb] #682679
11/30/08 09:29 AM
11/30/08 09:29 AM
Dayton, Ohio
C
Glider Addict
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Thats no problem Marz. grin I just wanted to let anyone know about my situation and non experience with parasites. I appreciate your input, it helps alot. Parasites so far seem to me like a common occurence no matter how hard you try to keep them away. It gets frustrating sometimes because I can't stand when my babies are sick and suffer. They are my kids and I love and cherish all 6.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack

Crabby Crew

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: Srlb] #683421
12/01/08 03:00 PM
12/01/08 03:00 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Srlb
Marz, do you guys ever deal with this there?? The Parasites I mean...

Also a bit off topic, but couldnt help but notice how gorgeous...what is the weight of that glider in that avatar of yours coming in at??

I haven't personally had any issues with parasites in my own gliders and possums but it's more prevalent that people are aware of and here it is taken as a matter of course and dealt with without fuss same as we would do with most animals.

There are marsupial specific parasites but also more generalised parasites that cross species. Many helminths (parasitic worms) actually have complicated life cycles that involve a number of different species as hosts.

The glider in my avatar is the matriarch of my colony... proud mother of all girls- two sets which were quads! She is getting on in age now though is still definitely the boss. In the avatar it shows her in her pre-winter condition. All my outside gliders put on weight just before winter just like the wild gliders do to cope over the colder months.

Re: Important message on treating sick gliders [Re: Marz] #684453
12/02/08 06:03 PM
12/02/08 06:03 PM
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

How interesting. I have often wondered why I have seen photos of gliders in Australia that appeared to be on the fluffy side. Extra fluff is for hard times during the winter.

Fluffy gliders remind me of little rolly polly bears.

As to flagyl being in a pill form... it is usually reconstituted in a syrup (by the vet or Pharmist) so the taste is more appealing. However, I taste everything that I give to my gliders... and Flagyl is still bitter even when mixed in a fruit flavored syrup. Yucky Yuck Yuck. roflmao

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024