Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? #687561
12/07/08 02:18 PM
12/07/08 02:18 PM
Maryland, USA
G
Glider_Invasion Offline OP
Glider Explorer
Glider_Invasion  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
G

Maryland, USA
confused I can’t contain my curious mind any longer, and need help. Because of so many rescues out there, How does a reputable breeder also take in rescues?

We are so protective over our gliders, that we were afraid, in the beginning, when we bought another glider, even from a private breeder. I have asked people not to come in with another glider if they are visiting, if I know nothing about them or their glider. (overkill...probably). But My babies safety comes first. Now, with many years of experience, I now have a better feel of checking out breeders. This is something we tell everyone to do, before they buy, and we ask they come to our home to check us out first, also. I just would not comprise our gliders or our reputation by having people wonder if our gliders are bred with the rescues we took in.

I know I am over protective of my crew, but I also know they can catch parasites from other sources (from birds, dogs & cats that are let outside, etc.). We won’t take ours outside on the ground since parasites such as Guardia is spread thru fecal matter & can be transferred by the owners’ hands. (water & food dishes, toys & even on the gilder itself). But even stool testing doesn’t mean it does not have Guardia. This has to be done by a blood work which will often (though not always) show an increase in a type of white blood cell called an eosinoplil.
But now I face a dilemma.

So I have to ask, when taking in rescues, are all these gliders checked by a vet BEFORE they come into the home? How do you afford all the fecal & blood tests on rescues if you are rehoming them instead of raising them to be adopted out under your name? Where is the glider, while waiting for test results? How do you protect your other gliders?

I am not asking this to sound snooty or to sound like an expert, (I feel we are all to far from that), & I hope not to offend anyone. But with (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets in our area so much, and so many impulse buyers not knowing what to expect, these little guys are being left out in the cold. I have helped people rehome suggies, interviewed & helped educate people for them, helped new owners to resocialize them & helped with appropriate cages. But this is done mostly without seeing the gliders, & often the owner, knowing their temperaments, which is a lot of hard work & very time consuming.

I have a true passion for the little darlings and even a mill bred glider can eventually; make someone a good pet, if it lives & homed under the right conditions. I would love to see them unconditionally loved & to be able to give that love back, as mine do. But how do I help without sacrificing the welfare of my own?
At least to me, this seems like a double edge sword. Am I the only one in the dark? Or is there a thread on here, about this, that I just can’t find?
I truly hope my questions & concern, does not hurt or offend anyone (unless they have earned the conviction) . (I have been told I have a “strong” personality)! And to think…All this time, I thought I just had a big mouth and sometimes very outspoken. OK…Most times.
But I would appreciate everyone’s help with my confusion, regardless.

Diane

http://www.glider-invasion.webs.com

Happy & Educated Parents, have Happy & Healthy Suggies.
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Glider_Invasion] #687570
12/07/08 02:39 PM
12/07/08 02:39 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
You do quarantine with all new gliders, regardless if it is a pet, a rescue or you found it in the street (Yes, that's happened.) You must follow all of the quarantine rules for at least 30 to 45 days, with a vet check at the beginning and the end.

Are you considering doing rescue work? If so, I would encourage you to wait until you have owned gliders for at LEAST a year. Rescues are heartbreaking, time consuming and expensive. They are not for the inexperienced glider owner. We would love to have more rescuers, but there are so many that want to do it, and it burns them out of suggies entirely. It is a HUGE undertaking.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Glider_Invasion] #687574
12/07/08 02:42 PM
12/07/08 02:42 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Why is it hard for you to believe that there are honest people?

Honest breeders that take in rescues do so because they feel they have an obligation to help the rescued gliders. Probably more so than non breeders do.

Honest breeders understand that rescued gliders are never to be bred and are firm believers in neutering all rescued males.

The breeders I know that also take in rescues, me included, are aware of the health risks of bringing unknown gliders into their homes. But it is no different for a "breeder" to bring in an unknown glider than it is for a "rescuer" to bring in an unknown glider. Regardless if there are breeding gliders in the home or not, there is still the risk of the unknown glider getting the rest of them sick.

That is why there is quarentine. There are sanitary measures used. Precautions taken. vet checks are done.

I, for one, have a seperate room for gliders in quarentine.

For me, it doesn't matter whether the gliders are rescues, breeding/breedable, adults, joeys, "colored" or greys, healthy or ill, "whole" or amputees, they all get the same level of care, same cages, same toys and wheels, (usually) same diet. But the rescues do tend to get more attention simply because they truly need it to help them over come the (often) bad past they have had and to help them socialize and get ready for their new home.

Rescuing is NOT for everyone. It is hard. It is expensive. It is emotionally stressful. And it can be totally heart breaking too.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Dancing] #687617
12/07/08 04:12 PM
12/07/08 04:12 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I don't think that I can add anything that Shawna and Teresa have not already said.

There is ALWAYS going to be risk involved with bringing ANY new life into your home. With proper quarantine and hygiene procedures that risk is DRASTICALLY reduced. If it weren't, then rescue homes that take in dozens and dozens of gliders every year (like myself) would find themselves ALWAYS dealing with parasites and illness. That is not the case. It simply is not.

If you are that concerned and it is something that will eat at ya, I would recommend not even starting rescue work. I agree with Shawna - you should own gliders for a long time before beginning to rescue. You should also find a reputable rescuer and talk with them about what they REALLY see in rescues, as there are a lot of misconceptions about what it really takes to rescue, what rescued gliders are really like and the prevelance of disease in rescued gliders.
Rescue work is hard - doing it RIGHT is even harder, more time consuming, more paperwork heavy and more exhausting than one can very imagine. Are there rewards? Sure. But you sometimes have to keep reminding yourself that there will be a reward for all the hard work and exhaustion.

QUARANTINE is so essential it cannot be said enough. A reputable rescue home quarantines in a separate room for at least 30 days without fail and without question - all the time no matter what.

And, I agree with what Teresa said - a good breeder understands their obligation to rescue. As a fantastic breeder once said to me "if I'm not willing to help the gliders already out there, I have no business bringing more into the world."

Also, as an FYI - if you were ever to find yourself in over your head, overwhelmed or unable to care for rescues for any reason, most any rescue home would be willing and ready to jump in and help you out. All you have to do is say the word.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Dancing] #687629
12/07/08 04:43 PM
12/07/08 04:43 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing

Rescuing is NOT for everyone. It is hard. It is expensive. It is emotionally stressful. And it can be totally heart breaking too.

This is the honest truth! All of my rescues so far have came with "baggage", meaning they were near death. (except for 3) They all have needed either surgeries, medications, TONS of love and patience. I can honestly say I've cried more since rescuing gliders than I have in my entire life. Will I keep doing it? YES! There is nothing more precious (in the glider world) than having those big eyes looking into yours KNOWING they love you and TRUST you...after being cast out by someone else, abused, mill bred or literally thrown out!

There will be times you get no sleep for days on end and are near exhaustion, headaches from reading online, books, etc., from calling and waiting on calls from your vet or other facilities...endless trips to the vet at the spur of the moment, day or night, weekday or weekend. You will start to think you might qualify to be a vet yourself after everything you've learned.

There will be a time when you've done everything humanly possible for many months only to lose the precious angel. You won't know what to do with yourself, you've just lost your best friend. The grieving begins...does it end? I don't know...I'm still grieving after over 4 months.

Other times you will have a rescue for years, one that came abused, scared, lunging, sick and near death....knowing you gave the glider the best home, got her well, she trusts you...she's your angel. You got to hold her for years and she now knows that humans can be good...and pray that she has forgotten how some humans had hurt her.

You will have to put your "well" buddies on a so called back burner at times while you are nurturing the sick ones. Split your time accordingly...it's not easy. At times it simply cannot be done and you feel guilty for not passing out the bugs one night..or doing tent time. It's a balance you TRY to give them..and sometimes, the scales tip.

There is just something so special about these creatures that makes me love them all, regardless of color, sex, age, health or anything...they are all created equal.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #687635
12/07/08 04:53 PM
12/07/08 04:53 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Great Question - I have been meaning to ask a similar one myself. After last weeks efforts (that seems to have failed) to save a little pet store glider - I feel a need to know more about helping any future gliders I find in a similar situation.

Long story short - several of us reported the store and got an inspection. Unfortunately, when I went in fully intending to go ahead and get the glider to take him to a vet for immediate care of his bruised toes etc. the store said they had sent him back to his original owner - the next day they told one of our group he had been sold.

I do not even know if there is a rescuer in our Area! I am not sure the local humane society or county animal services would know what to do with a glider if they did pick one up and I want to know WHO they would contact to care for a glider if they did take custody of one.

I do plan to call both agencies on Tuesday (they are closed on Mondays) to find out if they have a plan in place for Sugar Gliders. I know I would feel better knowing that they do.

I do not intend to become a full rescuer BUT if one or two gliders needed a temporary foster home I would be willing to take them in and get medical care for them. I have decided to keep my extra cage (was going to sell or give it away after my babies all moved to their new big cage). I now have my own 'emergency' plan in place since I do not think I would be able to walk out of a petstore glider mistreatment situation again. I have a cage, extra pouches, an extra wheel and a spare room for quarantine should the need arise again.

That brings me to another question for the rescue homes out there - do you use multiple quarantine rooms for gliders that come in at different times? How do you deal with bringing in another glider when you have one cage that is 20 days into their quarantine period? Do you try to keep them from being in the same room with another new arrival? I have this mental picture of a rotating quarantine system. Level 1 for new arrivals, Level 2 for those that have already passed 15-20 days and the first vet check, Level 3 30+ days and have passed a 2nd vet check - But most of you have families in your homes as well so multiple quarantine rooms would be difficult, I think. Just curious how you do it with many gliders coming and going.

Candy

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: CandyOtte] #687645
12/07/08 05:13 PM
12/07/08 05:13 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Oh, and I'm not a breeder but have many suggies in my life. Rescues are kept in a seperate area and after years of rescueing, I've never had any illness spread. Wash wash wash and wash! Change clothes after handling an ill glider, wash hands, arms, etc. Keep the cages clean!

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Dancing] #687647
12/07/08 05:21 PM
12/07/08 05:21 PM
Maryland, USA
G
Glider Explorer
Glider Explorer
G

Maryland, USA
Thx Shawna, No, I am not planning on being a RESCUER. Thank God we have connections with a wonderful Wildlife Sancuary for that. And they need money & supplies all the time. (completely supported from donations). It's easier just to help them all we can. But I'm saying, that seems to be just the go between.
We have owned gliders for past 7 years. Just the time & heartbreak of losing one of our joeys is heartbreaking enough for me. Not to mention the expense.
That's why I "help" with rescues but don't do it myself.
But I'd like to do more to help. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough in my post.

Teresa,I think you got a better picture. And yes, I do have a trust issue. That's why I posted on GC. I know here, are some honest people that flat out love animals. And this is where I get what is best for the suggie answers. But "honest" is the key word. I know accidents happen. But I was recently checking on adopting a glider from a reputable breeder & next day learned that a friend had just gotten one from them, that had hook & round worms. Being a new glider owner herself, I'm glad she knew to take it to the vet for a checkup. But I also know how easy just the eggs can trasport. If I had taken this glider into my home with my other pets, I would have been frantic just trying to think of what I had touched. Even if the breeder was not aware of this "one" joey, (which I'd rather assume they weren't), I'd still be a vary unhappy customer, since I was paying good money for it. My next thought was "what about the rest of their gliders"? (She did call them).
Unfortunately, every new owner does NOT take them in for a checkup. And this is getting worse with the economy.
With that said, there's the other side:
As I stated; (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets has been in my area 2x's in past 3 months. Leaving a trail of dead & sick gliders behind them. I have been overwhelmed with people in need. And been around long enough to know what happens to them after the newness wares off. Christmas is just as bad, the reason I don't sell gliders this month.
Now there are the "fast money" people everywhere around here, with Mill bred gliders, who are breeding.
I would like to do more to educate people, but more so for these gliders. I just want a way of doing this without the "risk" involved, when it concerns my own gliders health. But I see there is really no way of getting around the risk. I surely don't have the sickbay needed, or the money to do rescues. So I guess I was looking for a safer & easier answer. I like to consider myself one of those honest people, who is able to help rehome a glider in need. But with a teenager in the house, I don't feel we could keep a sanitary and safe enough enviroment to actually rescue.

If one who has never bred gliders, they have no idea of what is involved. I would think this is double with rescueing.
I will leave the rescuing to you rescurers.
I just was wondering how it is done. And if there's a way I can do more than just run my mouth, to help. Hopefully others have the same concerns I do.

Teresa, maybe in your "spare" time, you could post some of the things you encounter, what it takes to rescue,as well as the costs involved. I don't mean the obvious, I mean the time consuming as, getting up every hr to feed & stimulate a joey, getting & giving meds, or rushing one to the vet & still watching it die anyway. I would love to hand out some firsthand experiences, on a rescued glider, as I help educate people. I know about the breeding part of it. But rescues are another story.
But I feel there is a need for all to know the "In's" as well as the "out's" of a becomimg a rescuer or a breeder!

Diane

Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Glider_Invasion] #687662
12/07/08 06:12 PM
12/07/08 06:12 PM
Maryland, USA
G
Glider Explorer
Glider Explorer
G

Maryland, USA
Candy, I hope someone will answer your questions soon. These are same type of questions I get, but I don't have experience in rescues,(only our own rejected joeys & what I have done with other people) so I can't give them an good, honest or experienced answer.
I have my hands full with my own furry butts. But with the holidays and so many Mill gliders, this problem is growing fast.

Anyway, glad this subject is open.

Diane

Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Glider_Invasion] #687669
12/07/08 06:46 PM
12/07/08 06:46 PM
Austin, TX
USMom Offline
Serious Glideritis
USMom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Austin, TX
To know if a breeder who also rescues is honest, takes research, research, research, talking to that person and a certain amount of trust.

Yes, we have multiple quarantine areas, I'm currently maxed out on quarantine areas, unless I use my bathroom. I am maxed out on cages. If the glider is in quarantine, the glider should be tested at the beginning of quarantine and at the end.

I have slept in my car at the vets office waiting for tests, I sleep in the living room a lot, and in the glider room. It's hard work. And I was cautioning you because I did get into it too early, and was overwhelmed.

Shawna
Who are you networked with? Networking could save your gliders life. Create one now.

Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: USMom] #687784
12/07/08 10:48 PM
12/07/08 10:48 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Thanks Shawna,

I admire your dedication and that of the other rescue homes.

Candy

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: CandyOtte] #687813
12/08/08 12:22 AM
12/08/08 12:22 AM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
Originally Posted By: OtteMom

That brings me to another question for the rescue homes out there - do you use multiple quarantine rooms for gliders that come in at different times? How do you deal with bringing in another glider when you have one cage that is 20 days into their quarantine period? Do you try to keep them from being in the same room with another new arrival? I have this mental picture of a rotating quarantine system. Level 1 for new arrivals, Level 2 for those that have already passed 15-20 days and the first vet check, Level 3 30+ days and have passed a 2nd vet check - But most of you have families in your homes as well so multiple quarantine rooms would be difficult, I think. Just curious how you do it with many gliders coming and going.

Yes - multiple quarantine areas. It is not quarantine if you are introducing other gliders - the whole point of quarantine is ISOLATION to prevent the spread of any disease or parasite. So, If I have gliders come in on the 1st of the month - they start quarantine in a room all of their own. IF more gliders come in on the 15th, they go in a DIFFERENT room - one where there are no gliders - and begin their own quarantine. Any that come in after that go in a different room. Once they complete quarantine and are cleared by a vet, they move to an area in my home that has other gliders in it - either my recovery area or my glider room or my glider play room. I routinely give up personal space and comfort to make room for rescues.
This is one reason why rescues MUST keep accurate and detailed written records, must have adequate space and must know their limits. Rescue work requires not only a lot of time, space, money and effort, but a lot of organization, dedication, paperwork, decision-making and networking. These things are even more important if you are a home that brings in seriously ill and/or injured gliders.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #687842
12/08/08 01:20 AM
12/08/08 01:20 AM

S
ShyRascal
Unregistered
ShyRascal
Unregistered
S

I just want to add, you girls are awesome!!! I think what you are doing is amazing and I wish there was something I could do to help. I'm smack in the middle of Oklahoma. Is there a rescuer in Oklahoma that I could volunteer my time too? maybe I could donate items of somekind to other rescuers? I don't have alot of money, but I would be happy doing other things? Where do I sign up? Maybe I should start another thread for this, lol.

Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: ] #687873
12/08/08 02:58 AM
12/08/08 02:58 AM
Dallas, TX
sandbat Offline
Glider Guardian
sandbat  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dallas, TX
This is what I want to do...to maybe donate resources/money/items to rescuers and efforts that I know are reputable.

Last edited by sandbat; 12/08/08 02:59 AM.
Re: "Safe" breeders that take in rescues?? [Re: sandbat] #688095
12/08/08 02:27 PM
12/08/08 02:27 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Thanks to all of the rescue homes that have answered my question on multiple quarantine rooms.

I am relatively new to gliders (saw them at the home show Aug 23, went home to do some research and decided gliders were perfect for me - but not from the homeshow mill breeder. I got my first female and neutered male babies from SunCoast and two months later my two white face baby girls also from SunCoast.

I have seen a lot of new owners, with no more experience than I have, posting here that they have a glider for a couple of weeks, then run out to get another one for company, then realize these fur kids are like potato chips - you just want more and more - so they run out and get a couple more for their "colony".

I do not think all the advice given here about quarantine has emphasized enough the importance of totally separate spaces for new gliders added in such rapid succession.

Kudos to all of you who do rescue work. I too would like to know if there is a rescuer in the Tampa Florida Area - I would love to help out any way I can. I can always make pouches - I would love to give my time and talents to help.

Three of us in Tampa worked together recently to discourage a petshop from selling gliders. Unfortunately the fate of the glider we found in the shop is unknown and my not buying him to get him help will always be on my mind. I think that is the beginning of a network of Tampa owners - we would just like to locate more in our area and find out if there is a rescue home here as well that we could call as an experienced resouce person.

Candy

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot

CandyOtte@aol.com

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024