Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
abolish ppp #692829
12/15/08 03:02 AM
12/15/08 03:02 AM
Poynette, WI
sketchyglider Offline OP
Glider Guardian
sketchyglider  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Poynette, WI
is there any way to do this? petition them or something? i have read way tooooo many posts on here about how horrible they are. i am basically in tears after reading these thing about the horrible (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets people. i really would like to do something about it! tant tant tant tant

Jessee slave to:
Ender :rtmo: & Valentine :leu: and 1 non-fuzzy kid Carleigh

I am SOOOOOO happy to finally be able to have my gliders back home with me! I have missed my babies soo much <3
Re: abolish ppp [Re: sketchyglider] #692847
12/15/08 05:49 AM
12/15/08 05:49 AM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
The thing I see with this, is that the harder we try, the harder THEY will try. People will buy on impulse, not knowing anything about the gliders. It's a vicious circle. Unfortunately enough, the "mom" or "dad" is the one that pays the price with a rainbow baby.

Ash
Re: abolish ppp [Re: chattrbabe] #692848
12/15/08 05:56 AM
12/15/08 05:56 AM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: abolish ppp [Re: sketchyglider] #692861
12/15/08 07:38 AM
12/15/08 07:38 AM

B
beezer
Unregistered
beezer
Unregistered
B

I seriously don't know we can do - but if there is a way and GC and help do it - I'm all for it - what about getting a petition and having ALL the people that have been duped (sp) to forward letters to us - and we take it from there - like sending it to their state ASPCA or animal control or where ever they get their license from and NOT allow them to renew their license - if they infact have a license at all - I live in Florida and if I can help I'm all for it - upset

Sue
Owned By &
Mom To

Re: abolish ppp [Re: ] #692873
12/15/08 08:48 AM
12/15/08 08:48 AM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
The problem is that (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is a dealer; not a breeder. There are different laws for dealers, and there are very few laws that protect gliders in that situation. What (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets is doing is not illegal so there is little that can be done under the current regulations.

Just like pet stores, (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets get their gliders from a broker who gets them from the mills. (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets has no control over the quality or the age of the animals that they recieve. They simply place an order for X number of gliders and trust that the broker will deliver a sellable product. If they sometimes get sick gliders, or underage gliders, well how cares? (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets has moved on to the next festival or state fair.

Unless we can prove that what they are doing is against the law, we don't have much chance of shutting them down. Even if what they are doing was illegal, they would more than likely change to conform with the laws. They are making big bucks so they are not likely to close down unless new laws are put into place that severely cuts into the proffits.

If you look at other distasteful industries, like the alcohol industry or the tobacco industry, many groups have tried to "shut them down". And these are industries that hurt people, not animals. But as long as they work within the law, there is litte that can be done. So a better aproach was to change laws to protect the innocent. Maybe the same can be said with (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and pet stores. We need to work to educate the public about how gliders suffer at the hands of the mills and have laws changed...not an easy task are we up to the challenge?

There is currently two glider groups that are working on this problem.

SESG Is working on collecting documentation about sick and dying gliders that are sold by (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets.

And we have just started a new group. SPAS is working on getting laws changed and educating the public about the problems with the retail pet industry.

I encourage all of you to roll up your sleeves and join both groups in this fight. Is it going to be easy? NO Way! realize that the pet trade industy already has lawyers and lobbyist in place to fight us. An I can assure you that they will fight us. But if we have to try.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: abolish ppp [Re: hushpuppy] #693106
12/15/08 03:54 PM
12/15/08 03:54 PM
Poynette, WI
sketchyglider Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Poynette, WI
in my opinion they are doing something wrong VERY wrong. and if the government cant see that and licenses them then what has the government come to? to allow the sale of a sick, underage, or inbred glider is simply cruel. and i so believe there are laws in most states about animal cruelty. and people just let this go blindly and that makes it all the more worse.

Jessee slave to:

I am SOOOOOO happy to finally be able to have my gliders back home with me! I have missed my babies soo much <3
Re: abolish ppp [Re: sketchyglider] #693183
12/15/08 06:49 PM
12/15/08 06:49 PM
Mims, Florida, USA
hushpuppy Offline
Glider Slave
hushpuppy  Offline
Glider Slave

Mims, Florida, USA
sketchyglider. I totally agree with you that what they are doing is very wrong. Now if we could only get our government ot see it the way you and I do, we wouldn't need to have this topic at all.

USDA doesn't regulate the retail pet industry. However they do regulate it if certain regulated exotics or wild animals are being sold. If regulated animals are sold, the animal wellfare act can be applied, and sugar gliders are regulated exotics. So that does give us a little edge, but not much of one.

So states are the next line of defence for the animals. Most states laws are inadequate with less than half even requiring pet stores to provide food and water to animals. Out of those, in 8 states the law only applies to dogs and cats. So you can see that there needs to be some improvement it the laws.

Yes, animal cruelty is illegal in all states. But what constitutes cruelty is the question. So lets look at the things you mentioned.

Sick: It's difficult to prove because it requires documentation by a vet. Normally by the time a buyer realizes that their glider is sick and takes it to a vet, (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets has moved on to the next venue. That is why the documentation that SESG is doing is so important.

Underage: There are no federal minimum age laws. A few states have them but they normally apply only to dogs and cats.

Inbreeding. Try to outlaw inbreeding and the AKC will be on you like white on rice. It's also practiced by many glider breeders to create those beautiful colored gliders. I'm not saying that to put breeders down. We have many excellent breeders in the glider community. But where do you draw the line and how can you outlaw something that is practiced by many without problems?

I don't think anyone is letting it go blindly. A group of us just tried to get some help for a sick glider in a pet store. The place was inspected, and they gave him a warning. That's it. We couldn't get anyone to help this glider.

Last edited by hushpuppy; 12/15/08 06:51 PM.

Anita Rae
StealthWheels, MagnumWheels and more at Atticworx

Play with us on Facebook

Re: abolish ppp [Re: hushpuppy] #695721
12/19/08 01:21 AM
12/19/08 01:21 AM

M
Mions_Mommy
Unregistered
Mions_Mommy
Unregistered
M

Hello All,

Just wanted to add a bit of something here, I am not sure if any of you have seen my other posts about the [censored] I have gone through with two emergency surgeries for my little guy to him losing his battle on Monday after fighting for his life for two weeks, but we to were sucked in to the PP speech and got our guy from a fair. Long story short they sold us a very sick, too young to be away from Mom baby and they told me they DO breed them, that they are a reputable breeder with a USDA license and the whole nine. I have since spoken with the USDA, Attorney general, the fair I purchased him from, the SPCA in my area and several lawyers, and I have found out many of fraudulent things they have done, and yes, many of them have been illegal! I am on the phone everyday and have launched an investigation with the USDA, gotten them banned from the fair in my state, and the list goes on. With a heavy heart I had to post a blog about losing my angel, but I have to be his voice now, and the voice of all the other poor innocent gliders that suffer at the hands of these people. I will not stop my fight just because my little one has passed, I WILL get justice for him and all the others. So keep hope that there is things that can be done, and I will not stop until I achieve them! :0)

Re: abolish ppp [Re: ] #695748
12/19/08 02:35 AM
12/19/08 02:35 AM
Mesa, AZ
konotashi Offline
Glider Addict
konotashi  Offline
Glider Addict

Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Mions_Mommy
Hello All,

Just wanted to add a bit of something here, I am not sure if any of you have seen my other posts about the [censored] I have gone through with two emergency surgeries for my little guy to him losing his battle on Monday after fighting for his life for two weeks, but we to were sucked in to the PP speech and got our guy from a fair. Long story short they sold us a very sick, too young to be away from Mom baby and they told me they DO breed them, that they are a reputable breeder with a USDA license and the whole nine. I have since spoken with the USDA, Attorney general, the fair I purchased him from, the SPCA in my area and several lawyers, and I have found out many of fraudulent things they have done, and yes, many of them have been illegal! I am on the phone everyday and have launched an investigation with the USDA, gotten them banned from the fair in my state, and the list goes on. With a heavy heart I had to post a blog about losing my angel, but I have to be his voice now, and the voice of all the other poor innocent gliders that suffer at the hands of these people. I will not stop my fight just because my little one has passed, I WILL get justice for him and all the others. So keep hope that there is things that can be done, and I will not stop until I achieve them! :0)

I commend you for everything you are doing and have done. I commend everybody who has helped this fight, and I will go to the party once they're taken down. It makes me physically sick to my stomach when I hear these stories, yet they can still breed and sell their animals.... If they come here, I'll protest right next to their stand with a picket sign chanting, "DOWN WITH Pocket Pets, DOWN WITH Pocket Pets!" if I have to!

Re: abolish ppp [Re: konotashi] #695757
12/19/08 02:52 AM
12/19/08 02:52 AM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I'll be right there with ya Marissa.. mad

Re: abolish ppp [Re: ] #695765
12/19/08 03:02 AM
12/19/08 03:02 AM
Poynette, WI
sketchyglider Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Poynette, WI
i hope they come here just so i can protest!! rotten food and all!

Jessee slave to:

Re: abolish ppp [Re: sketchyglider] #695805
12/19/08 04:56 AM
12/19/08 04:56 AM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

I hope they DON'T come there because the more they spread out the worse it will be worried Some people can be reached by giving them the correct information, but others will make their impulse buys no matter what information they are getting. The less places (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets goes, the better.

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: abolish ppp [Re: ] #695831
12/19/08 07:29 AM
12/19/08 07:29 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
I'm so sorry about your little one. I wonder if there is anything I can do about the stupid Kiosk they have set up in the mall here on Long Island. I went there the other day and all I saw were healthy (looking) adults.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: abolish ppp [Re: Gossamer] #696008
12/19/08 02:27 PM
12/19/08 02:27 PM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Yeah, that's what they show you. They usually have the joey cages covered with towels.

~Deanna~

(702)250-5236
Re: abolish ppp [Re: DeeDancer] #696016
12/19/08 02:40 PM
12/19/08 02:40 PM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
We talked about this problem of mill breeders at the last OH gathering. Someone (won't disclose names unless permitted to) made a good point of if the mill breeders get shut down, what is going to happen to all of thsoe gliders?? There are alot of people who have said "I'll take some", that is nice but most neeed to remember that there are ALOT of rescues needing that same commitment.

I agree it is a shame but we all have to also think of the consequences and no way does this mean that I agree or support mill breeders. They should get arrested & prosecuted for animal cruelty, but hey that's my opinion and feelings towards them.

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024