Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Breeders: In it for the money? #703573
01/01/09 04:53 PM
01/01/09 04:53 PM
St. Charles, Missouri
Suggiegramma Offline OP
Glider Slave
Suggiegramma  Offline OP
Glider Slave

St. Charles, Missouri
It really makes me mad when people say breeders are "in it for the money". If you breed gliders then you know we're not in it for the money! I'm sure there are a few breeders that actually can make a living doing this but I put everything I make and MORE back into my gliders. It's expensive to keep as many gliders as I have, but it's well worth it. I love my suggies dearly and they are MY PETS! I've invested over $50,000 to get my colored pets and it's nice that they occasionally have a baby I can sell to help recoup some of the money.

breeders: Are you in it for the money?

Virginia

Suggies
Sachi,Miuccia,Mignon,Cosette,Blaise,Florianna,Fabio,
Abbi,Fletcher,Eshton,Hansel,Gretel,Sahara,Parker,SugarBear,
Emily,Ariana,Symphony,Mozart,Smeegle,Cocoa,Hershey,Tippy,
Hollister,Anastasia,Buffy,Tawny,Stormy,Aurora,Chance,Karma,
Kristoff,Ruby.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Suggiegramma] #703577
01/01/09 04:59 PM
01/01/09 04:59 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Exactly! I've seen many people think by being a breeder they're making tons of money. Yes, they are making money but that money goes into breeding them. The money they're making makes them have these guys as pets ... so basically their expenses are paid for.
You may make some money but I don't know if it's enough to make a living off of? Maybe if you have over 200 breeders? dunno

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Suggiegramma] #703582
01/01/09 05:07 PM
01/01/09 05:07 PM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

agree I understand completely - back in the 90's I raised birds - and when people use to try to get me to lower the price I became furious - mad Most breeders put so much time and money into their animals (no matter which kind) they can never recoop all that they've put into their (stock) wrong choice of words but the only word I can think of at this time dunno

Then I raised Grey Gliders and the same thing happened there - who do these people think stays up at night just to make sure all is okay in the glider room and who do these people think cries when something happens to one of their precious pets - need_hug

Sue
Owned By &
Mom To

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703587
01/01/09 05:11 PM
01/01/09 05:11 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
People just don't realize how expensive it really is to breed. They think breeders are making big money, and any breeder can tell you, it's just not the case. I guess if you had alot of colored gliders you might make a profit possibly.

Problem is that a lot of people do go into it for the money. Then they discover they are not making money and sell all their gliders, or don't take care of them. Sad.

I have never made any profit in the year or so that I have been breeding, I have however racked up a significant amount of debt :/

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: SugareeErin] #703592
01/01/09 05:16 PM
01/01/09 05:16 PM
St. Charles, Missouri
Suggiegramma Offline OP
Glider Slave
Suggiegramma  Offline OP
Glider Slave

St. Charles, Missouri
Originally Posted By: SugareeErin
Problem is that a lot of people do go into it for the money. Then they discover they are not making money and sell all their gliders, or don't take care of them. Sad.

So true...

Virginia

Suggies
Kristoff,Ruby.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703595
01/01/09 05:17 PM
01/01/09 05:17 PM

C
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
Crafts_Critters
Unregistered
C

I have heard this comment all to much. Especially the newbies. How can anyone make money breeding is beyond me. Unless you have a large breeding program. Our money comes from our two full time jobs. We make some money off our joey sales which goes back into food/supplies.

Considering many of the expenses; vet, food, caging, material, supplies, and other expenses that come up that can drain money. If the money I get can help maintain my gliders, ferrets, chinchillas, or kinkajous, than I'm doing okay. Our animals pretty much eat better than we do.

So I guess another question is; why do people breed? Not too many people are giving their joeys away for free.. so the breeder knows that they expect some money to at least maintain an excellent breeding program. Not too many people I know make a lot of money breeding animals because if done right everything your pretty much making is going back into the breeding program.

Why do people breed? Is it for the joy of having and breeding any animal? Or is it because after working with rescues and seeing the conditions of animals sold in many pet stores? Pet stores that when you ask them about diet or care information you get "I dunno." This is not to say all stores are bad, but there are quite a few in our area that are really bad. One has been hit by USDA, SPCA/Humane Society. Oddly, nothing happens to them.

So, I think everyone has different reasons for breeding animals.

Chad

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Suggiegramma] #703601
01/01/09 05:22 PM
01/01/09 05:22 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: Suggiegramma
Originally Posted By: SugareeErin

So true...

agree It's just so sad! frown

Chad, that was very informative! I agree 100%

Also breeders don't want to give them away for free because I at least feel that you should pay for it. Because if a newbie comes on here and sees a glider for free they may buy it without researching... which leaves a glider at a loss.
All the breeders, at least I hope are in it for the gliders sake, not theirs.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Suggiegramma] #703604
01/01/09 05:24 PM
01/01/09 05:24 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Ok well here is MY take. Personally when I bought my first colored breeding pair it was because I was simply fasinated by lion coloring. I wanted to have two and breed for the color. The pure reason WHY I breed is to further the lines, and produce BEAUTIFUL sweet babies. I've bought two of my breeding cages with absolutly no intention of selling any of the joeys but to produce joeys to go in the next step of my breeding program. As of today every adopt fee I have recieved has gone into one more new cage or new stealths/ toys. My fiance will tell anyone that he has yet to see a single cent out of the adopt fee's go into "our" combined finances. But someday its my great hope my gliders will be too flippin spoiled there is nothing left to buy and or vet fund will be full again.

However. What about the much larger breeders. I won't name any names but there are key breeders in the glider community that to have 10+ joeys available is common at any given time. Are THEY in it for money ?

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Laurens_Babies] #703608
01/01/09 05:29 PM

K
KristopherDeRose
Unregistered
KristopherDeRose
Unregistered
K

In it for the money? how is that possible lmao... I havent made even a fraction back.. because I have their food their cages toys pouches and all that other good stuff....

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Laurens_Babies] #703609
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
But someday its my great hope my gliders will be too flippin spoiled there is nothing left to buy and or vet fund will be full again.

Ok I hope people don't take this to mean I am in it for the money. I just mean that it would be nice to not worry about needing to buy these things some day.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703614
01/01/09 05:35 PM
01/01/09 05:35 PM
Port Saint Lucie, FL
MatchMakerMagic Offline
Glider Addict
MatchMakerMagic  Offline
Glider Addict

Port Saint Lucie, FL
While I cannot say that you can or can't make money off of breeding from experience. I can say from observations that alot of folks get into breeding to begin with because they THINK they will make money (and not just the glider world).

But I know that there MUST be money made or the likes of (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets would not be around. There would not be glider breeders that ONLY breed gliders as their source of income. People/Companies like this are making profit not just breaking even or going into debt.

Unfortunately I think this style of breeding often means large numbers of gliders (mass producing) and awful living conditions. frown Just as with any other type of mill situation.

Though on the other hand, if a person only had one pair of gliders and they were a color in high demand, I think then one *might* actually turn a profit. With most breeders though I dont think this is the case.

Last edited by MatchMakerMagic; 01/01/09 05:37 PM. Reason: left out words... oops

Kinue

ISTJ
When it rains, it pours...

www.serenitysugargliders.homestead.com
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Laurens_Babies] #703615
01/01/09 05:36 PM
01/01/09 05:36 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
I currently only have one breeding pair out of six cages of gliders. I don't break even let alone turn a profit. I'm going to be introducing a new pair soon and they will be breeding. That will put me at two breeding pairs total. The rest of my gliders are non-breeding.

I do not sell off my retired pairs. They are my pets! They all stay with me. I neuter males as needed. I'm not afraid to neuter a male to keep a pair together for their sake.

It's about your morals. Not money. But, for crying out loud, breeders have to charge SOMETHING for their babies. Yes, that means there is money involved in most cases. I've even given babies away at no cost and know for a fact others here have too. These babies were perfectly healthy. If we were in it for the money, there is no way that ever would have happened.

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: StitchsMom] #703636
01/01/09 05:49 PM
01/01/09 05:49 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
(PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets makes profits tho doing business the way they do.Selling to young of gliders and sick gliders means that they have a better chance of dying which means its all profit to them.Since some have even purchased a second pair thinking it was just a mistake their first one died.I'm a small breeder I have two pairs that are breeding.And I have now two cages of pets only .I put every bit of my money back into supplies for my babies.And my retired gliders are here to stay they are my pets all of them.I take a lot of time to make sure my gliders are very loving and gentle and easy to handle.But I've seen the newbies think that there is a lot of money to be made in breeding.Since I've been in the community.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Laurens_Babies] #703643
01/01/09 05:55 PM
01/01/09 05:55 PM

D
Daffodilly
Unregistered
Daffodilly
Unregistered
D

I am still new here, but I like to think that one reason people breed these babies is to simply be able to share the pure joy of loving, and being loved by, a suggie.

And as for giving them free.... Well, we all know that we take much better care of what we pay for. The more we pay, the better we 'guard and protect'.

It is a privilege to love and be loved by these babies. And they trust us implicitly to care for them. If someone is not willing to invest a little for that privilege, then would they be willing to pay exotic vet bills?

Yes, I like a good deal just like anyone else, but the good deal is knowing that I can get a healthy, loving glider from a responsible breeder. I don't have to worry about long term effects of malnutrition or poor health. I appreciate the sacrifice of time, effort and money that you give.

Now as for the 'puppy mill' type breeders.... well, I hope you know that NONE of this applies to them. But I won't get off on that tangent....

Here's to the breeders who sacrifice to do it right. Thankyou.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703655
01/01/09 06:14 PM
01/01/09 06:14 PM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Originally Posted By: Daffodilly
I am still new here, but I like to think that one reason people breed these babies is to simply be able to share the pure joy of loving, and being loved by, a suggie.

And as for giving them free.... Well, we all know that we take much better care of what we pay for. The more we pay, the better we 'guard and protect'.

It is a privilege to love and be loved by these babies. And they trust us implicitly to care for them. If someone is not willing to invest a little for that privilege, then would they be willing to pay exotic vet bills?

Yes, I like a good deal just like anyone else, but the good deal is knowing that I can get a healthy, loving glider from a responsible breeder. I don't have to worry about long term effects of malnutrition or poor health. I appreciate the sacrifice of time, effort and money that you give.

Now as for the 'puppy mill' type breeders.... well, I hope you know that NONE of this applies to them. But I won't get off on that tangent....

Here's to the breeders who sacrifice to do it right. Thankyou.

Actually there is some that no matter how much they spend the gliders or animals are not given great care.All tho with most its a case that no matter what they spend the gliders and animals are loved.But there are some that the money doesn't change their idea that they are just property to own.And just cause they are something they own they are replaceable.The rescuers that rescues some of the most awesome animals can tell you that color of these animals or breeds of the animals.And how much they really cost these people didn't change the way they were cared for .Animals are for the most part for most of us they are just that are family .Which means we give them all the love and caring we can.And of course we can spoil them rotten.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703667
01/01/09 06:26 PM
01/01/09 06:26 PM
SE Minnesota..
GliderLove Offline
Glider Addict
GliderLove  Offline
Glider Addict

SE Minnesota..
I agree with most of what has been said. I DO KNOW for a fact that there are people out there that look for free and cheap gliders, then breed them and sell them to profit when they should not have been bred in the first place! And many times those very same people sell off those gliders just to keep the cycle going. It may not be a whole lot but there are people who do it, and sadly those are the gliders that have lower qualities of life. Your are 100% correct that a pretty good % of people go into breeding because they *think* they can profit from it.

I have 2 breeding pairs, and there is NO WAY I come close to profiting off that!! I have 6 other pet only gliders, and I too would NEVER, EVER sell a retired pair of gliders. That is one of things that show me people are in it for the money.

Even some of the "bigger" breeders still have a great cost that goes into their breeding program, I find it really hard to believe that anybody could live soley off the income of breeding gliders.

Cindy
Mom to
Jae, Ashton, Briannah, Nevaeh & Addy

& all my fuzzies!
Breeder of Leu's, Mosaics, wfb, and standard grey's.
Owner of www.MySugarAddiction.com

:rtmo: :leu:

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: GliderLove] #703684
01/01/09 06:50 PM
01/01/09 06:50 PM
Poynette, WI
sketchyglider Offline
Glider Guardian
sketchyglider  Offline
Glider Guardian

Poynette, WI
well when i started to think about breeding i had already had just a few gliders and didnt even think about makeing a profit or liveing off the money that could possibly be made it was to as someone said before futher the lines but not for every body else's pleasure but for mine i wanted to see what would happen if you mix this kind and this kind and the only time that i was honestly intrested in getting a really expensive breeding pair wasnt yet again to make the money off of them but for the fact that i could possibly trade for a different color that i didnt have to further along my generations and make it easier for me to avoid inbreeding and at no point did i think that i could ever live off of the money made maybe for one month if i had a couple go they could pay the rent 1 whole month out of the year lol but then i would have just spent the money on them by accident by haveing the money and always looking at stuff for them it would have ended up for them without me planning on it not that i care thats why i do it its all for them

Jessee slave to:
Ender :rtmo: & Valentine :leu: and 1 non-fuzzy kid Carleigh

I am SOOOOOO happy to finally be able to have my gliders back home with me! I have missed my babies soo much <3
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: sketchyglider] #703688
01/01/09 06:54 PM
01/01/09 06:54 PM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
Amen! I don't think I could have said it better Virginia and everyone else. I have no idea how much I have spent on my gliders, but it's ALOT and I have in no way, shape, or form even begun to make any money back. You know why? toys, pouches, cages, food, vet bills etc rack up FAST! Just in the last month alone I have spent over $500 on JUST some toys and pouches and I'm still not done.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: GliderLove] #703690
01/01/09 06:58 PM
01/01/09 06:58 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I am not a breeder - but I have several friends who are. I can tell you that those that are RESPONSIBLE and RESPECTABLE are not making any profit.

Sadly - as a rescuer - I can tell you that there ARE many, many smaller breeders out there who ARE doing it just to bring in some money. They don't care about lineage, their gliders are provided the bare minimum as far as diet, cage, toys, etc and their joeys are sold at a slightly higher price than average to anyone with money. They do sell them at an appropriate age, but do not screen new owners. MANY of these joeys end up in homes such as mine. Not all rescues started out with a mill breeder - but most of them started with an irresponsible or uncaring breeder.

Tammy is right - to some people it does not matter how much was spent on the glider - they are still treated like possessions. I have living in my home several gliders that came with lineage but were relinquished anyway! WFB's are not uncommon in rescue homes and many other colors are showing up more and more. HETS are even more common in rescue homes. I have two that were higher priced hets that were relinquished because they did not produce the desired color. frown On the flip side of that coin - I have adopted gliders to homes that treat them like ROYALTY - it is such a heartwarming and rewarding thing for a rescuer to see her rescues treated like they were worth all the treasure in the world. That is how ALL gliders should be treated.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Lynsie] #703691
01/01/09 06:59 PM
St. Charles, Missouri
Suggiegramma Offline OP
Glider Slave
Suggiegramma  Offline OP
Glider Slave

St. Charles, Missouri
I just had to buy a new cage ($150), a stealth wheel to put in it ($40 w/shipping) and more fleece ($100) to make new cage sets! Plus the toys I make for them!

I've spent about $200 on Florianna's arm (and Dr. King is CHEAP!) in the last month and that's just ONE glider!

Virginia

Suggies
Kristoff,Ruby.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: GliderLove] #703692

I
IvoryGlider
Unregistered
IvoryGlider
Unregistered
I

I only have one objection to what's been said so far......

Quote:

I got my first gliders for free. A breeding pair and their first, and at the time, only joey (female). SugarMama, SugarDaddy & SugarBaby.......and SugarMama had a joey IP we didn't know about as well (JoJo).

I love & cherish these guys just as much as I would had I paid hundreds for them. They are loved & spoiled and give love back freely.

I did not get them from a breeder, I got them from a young girl who realized she didn't have the time to take care of them since she was going off to college. She wanted someone who would take good care of them and we had met her mother by chance. We have many pets, mostly reptiles. We do breed and sell some of our Geckos.

I had been wanting sugar gliders for years and had been doing research for a year when the opportunity came up. I am in the process of getting JoJo & his younger brother neutered and after one more joey, SugarDaddy will be neutered as well. I had given thought to selling the joeys, but after spending the time bonding with them, there is just NO way I could part with any of them.....even my wildcat SugarBaby!!

Maybe in the future, I will consider expanding our little family. My Hubby is designing a HUGE cage for me.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that getting something for free doesn't always mean you care less for it.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Jackie_Chans_Mom] #703698
01/01/09 07:04 PM
01/01/09 07:04 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I hate breeders that sell their suggies that are 'retired' frown
That I feel is wrong. They are a living animal!

I agree with Val with the screening. You need to ask new owners how they're going to treat them. This is why breeders have a 'rep' they won't just give them to someone on the street to make a buck.

Before I decided on my girls I went through a few breeders asking them questions, making sure they provide care for their gliders. I feel that most of them have a great rep on this site and deserve it.
All the time they take into their gliders, spending time with them, providing them with a good diet, ect is a good breeder and not just in it for the buck... buck in it for the gliders sake.
I love those breeders smile

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703700
01/01/09 07:06 PM
01/01/09 07:06 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

I also agree 100% with Jessica on the 'free glider' part.
If I got a glider for free I would treat it just as good as if I spent $1,000 on him/her. I feel that it depends on the person.

I do however believe that if someone that doesn't know much about them and sees them for free vrs the normal price they will think more on what they're buying. There's still going to be impulse buying... but I believe if it's free it would be much worse.

Last edited by prettyinpink; 01/01/09 07:07 PM.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703705
01/01/09 07:14 PM
01/01/09 07:14 PM
Poynette, WI
sketchyglider Offline
Glider Guardian
sketchyglider  Offline
Glider Guardian

Poynette, WI
about the screening do it dont take me wrong on this just an aboservation it sucks to fill those things out over and over when your looking for a new baby (yet again im not saying it shouldnt be done) im just saying when you do know how to treat gliders and you know enough ( never everything) it gets really annoying to fill them out just to run into a dead end lets say the gliders already gone or something does anyone else feel this way? but besides that i still feel it should be done becuase how else are you suposed to know?

Jessee slave to:
Ender :rtmo: & Valentine :leu: and 1 non-fuzzy kid Carleigh

I am SOOOOOO happy to finally be able to have my gliders back home with me! I have missed my babies soo much <3
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: sketchyglider] #703728
01/01/09 07:59 PM
01/01/09 07:59 PM
St. Charles, Missouri
Suggiegramma Offline OP
Glider Slave
Suggiegramma  Offline OP
Glider Slave

St. Charles, Missouri
I always talk to the person BEFORE I have them fill out an application. So I'm not wasting their time. I've been fortunate and have known (or met) most of the people I've sold joeys to.

Virginia

Suggies
Kristoff,Ruby.

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: Suggiegramma] #703761
01/01/09 08:45 PM
01/01/09 08:45 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
There *are* many breeders who are doing it for "the money."

There are breeders who come out of no where, with no research, with no previous glider experience, who only seek out the colored gliders, and then want to sell them. They have no knowledge of the lines or the genetics. They see someone listing a glider for multiple thousands of dollars, and they want to cash in.

These people do not spoil their gliders with big cages, toys, cage sets, etc.

Yes - they are out there! No one on here is going to say "Yes, I breed for money." But - they know who they are!

Hopefully, they will be discovered for what they really are.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703775
01/01/09 09:02 PM
01/01/09 09:02 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: prettyinpink
If I got a glider for free I would treat it just as good as if I spent $1,000 on him/her. I feel that it depends on the person.

How many times have we all seen grey gliders referred to as "only grey". As if that makes them disposable!

Free? I have many rescues - all of which came to me for "free." They have the EXACT same cage sizes, get the same food, have the same toys, get the same care and love as my high-dollar gliders.

I've posted on here before: A mutt has no idea it isn't as "valuable" as a dog with show lineage! Both dogs will be equally devoted and loving. Both dogs will be loyal to a fault.

Gliders are the same way. My "free" gliders give me as much joy as the gliders I paid for. In fact, as I'm sure Val can tell you, sometimes you develop a greater love for those you have to fight for. The scared ones, the abused ones, the ones you have to work months to be able to pet.

I am NOT picking apart anyone here, and these posts are NOT directed to anyone in particular! I come to GC because I LOVE my gliders, and I want ALL gliders - even the ones from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets (or maybe especially?) - to have the love and care they deserve! I think most people on GC feel the same way. Free is in the eye of the beholder!

The best way to shut mill breeders and breeders for profit down is to KEEP EDUCATING!

As far as "free" and "disposable" - I've never loved a glider I've never even met as much as I love Jackie Chan! He was a throw away - and I've learned so much from him and from Val.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: sketchyglider] #703783
01/01/09 09:10 PM
01/01/09 09:10 PM

P
prettyinpink
Unregistered
prettyinpink
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: sketchyglider
about the screening do it dont take me wrong on this just an aboservation it sucks to fill those things out over and over when your looking for a new baby (yet again im not saying it shouldnt be done) im just saying when you do know how to treat gliders and you know enough ( never everything) it gets really annoying to fill them out just to run into a dead end lets say the gliders already gone or something does anyone else feel this way? but besides that i still feel it should be done becuase how else are you suposed to know?

I agree with that... I didn't like the forum I had to fill out but I filled it out as best as I could.

I just feel that you should at least talk to the person to know that they know about gliders... and are not just buying on impulse wink

Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ] #703787
01/01/09 09:13 PM
01/01/09 09:13 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: Daffodilly

I have given several joeys away to awesome homes. They have all been local to me and I KNOW for a fact they are spoiled beyond belief.

As far as ME getting "free" gliders, I have gotten quite a few. Either they were rescues or ended up in a situation where someone else refused vet care which ended up costing us thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) of dollars in the past 3 years alone. I have a girl now we picked up for FREE in August, the very next day we spent over $400.00 on a vet bill because she was so sick, had giardia..a UTI and HLP! After 4 months of vets, hardly any sleep and tons of worry...I am still having to get her to eat! I wouldn't trade her for the world, she is a bra baby now..at 8 1/2 YEARS old.

Not everyone gets a free glider for "FREE". ALL of mine have cost a lot in vet bills, cages, toys, cage sets, food, gas. My heart has been ripped to shreds a few times and I've been through medical issues with it and pure exhaustion. Will I keep doing it? YES! I take in the gliders no one else wants to spend time or money on to give them a great life. Some of these gliders were tossed away simply because they were to old to breed anymore. They weren't taken care of or abused. My first two came with HLP, foot amputation, tail amputation, botched neuter, giardia and roundworms..UTI's and nail infections causing toes to be lost! These two gliders had been thrown into a wall and left to die at 6 1/2 years old. Isabella passed away in Sept from a tumor, her mate is still with us going on 10 years old.

I could go and on...but the thing is...not everyone breeding is in it for money. I am hoping to breed a few colors eventually to help offset vet bills. The initial cost of the gliders themselves are costly too though!

NO glider I have will EVER leave their home here because of health issues, being retired or for ANY reason! I love them too much!

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Breeders: In it for the money? [Re: ValkyrieMome] #703792
01/01/09 09:16 PM
01/01/09 09:16 PM
North Fort Worth - TX
jacknsally Offline
Glider Addict
jacknsally  Offline
Glider Addict

North Fort Worth - TX
Ok I'll step to the other side. The truth is, breeders are making money though. Considering I have spent $$$ on my gliders and not one of them is bringing $$$ back in to my pocket. Since breeders breed and sell joey's, they have the chance to recoup money spent on their gliders and they have an extra income to buy glider supplies and so forth. My pet only gliders bring in NO money - where as a breeders gliders do bring in money.

Just do some math- someone spends $2,000 on a mosaic - that mosaic then has mosaic twins that sell for $2,000 each- the expense of the glider is recouped and then there's $2,000 left over and that's just from one breeding pair. It's easy for someone that sells their joey's at the current average price for that color, to recoup the cost of the glider with the 1st set of twins.

My gliders are spoiled, they never go without- I can tell you not including medical bills, I don't spend $2,000 on them in a month let alone 6 months. A pair of gliders usually have 2-4 gliders in a 6month time frame.

Ñancy
~Always on my mind & in my heart Jack, Sally & Serenity~

Mobmilli's Boutique
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024