Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Diet Fatigue #722088
01/23/09 02:49 PM
01/23/09 02:49 PM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline OP
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Where did the idea of diet fatigue come from? How come some people think that gliders get "bored" with their food and some people insist that they don't? I'd like to hear from people that think either of these things (either believe in diet fatigue or don't) and why they feel that way.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: DeeDancer] #722268
01/23/09 07:50 PM
01/23/09 07:50 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Ok, so I said you'd receive more responses...but no takers yet. roflmao

I will tell you my opinion (and I'm kind of in the middle, so I imagine not much help to your quest) but here it goes anyway. smile

I have seen gliders that have lived on a pellet food and water with no other food/treats/etc. and be very healthy (good weights, no HLP, no mouth/teeth problems). Even so, do I think it is the healthiest choice? No, not for me and my kids.

I don't think it is a matter of them 'craving' something different (I don't think they 'think' about it). I also believe (much like dogs/cats) if you change their food constantly, you *may* see a little more pickiness than if you keep some consistency. Which is also why I do not believe in commpletely switching diets every few days or every few weeks. (I think their digestive system gets used to handling a type of food and drastic changes can throw them into a bit of a tail spin if done too quickly or frequently...Like if we were to go from liquid diets to high protein, to high carb...something like that).

As far as different fruits and veggies, I change because I know they like all of the different fruits and veggies and it is too much trouble to use them all at once, so I use 3 of each a month. dunno (No really big scientific theory behind it, just that I like to give them what they like...it's probably more for me than them. roflmao ).

Hopefully, others will be along to add their insight soon. Sorry it took so long for you to receive a response. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: sugarlope] #722272
01/23/09 07:53 PM
01/23/09 07:53 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
diet Fatigue ?

I'd be bored if I ate the exact same thing day after day, year after year, for my entire life. So I assume they would be too.

I do feed a regualr diet of HPW, fruits, and veggies but every now and then I change it up for a day and I try to add different fruits and veggies here and there.

No scientific research, my my view.

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: queenduck] #722291
01/23/09 08:37 PM
01/23/09 08:37 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I have found with my two that if I give them one or two things different once every two weeks it seems to 'spark' their interest and they will eat it. On the other hand when I first was a new glider mommy, I tried offering them different things frequently, which caused them to become picky and wouldn't eat.

Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: LSardou] #722418
01/24/09 12:09 AM
01/24/09 12:09 AM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

I usually give mine different fruits each night with their hpw, just for a variety. Papaya and cantalope they always get, but Ill add different fruits along with it...kiwi one night, mango the next, pears, and so on. I do the same with the veggies. Sometimes I think "yeah they must get bored getting the same stuff every night". I'm fortunate to have 5 healthy eaters...so I can safely say they'd eat whatever I put in their bowls lol.

Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: ] #722446
01/24/09 12:57 AM
01/24/09 12:57 AM
DeeDancer Offline OP
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Yeah, I'm almost positive mine would eat whatever was in the dish lol. What prompted this was that someone told me that gliders are creatures of habit and that they are fine eating the same thing all the time. When I spoke to the person that created the diet that I feed, she said that this is incorrect and that I should vary the fruit and veggies as much as possible. Now I'm trying to find out which is true.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: DeeDancer] #722454
01/24/09 01:13 AM
01/24/09 01:13 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I feed close to the same foods every night. They get Reep's mix, peas, corn, green beans, carrots and a fruit. While I do rotate the fruits, it is mostly cantelope, honeydew, apples and pears. They get yogurt once or twice a week, either strawberry or raspberry.

Every once in a while I will skip the Reep's mix and feed scrambled eggs or chicken breast but that isn't very often.

I've been feeding this way for about 3 1/2 years and have clean plates every morning in ALL my cages (currently 14).

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: Dancing] #722580
01/24/09 07:11 AM
01/24/09 07:11 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
I do what dancing does. I will skip the HPW once in a while and give them chicken or eggs. I will also give them yogurt one night instead of fruit. Change up the veggies. They don't eat the same stuff in the wild everyday - we need to give them some variety.

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: Gossamer] #722585
01/24/09 07:41 AM
01/24/09 07:41 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I am new to the glider community but I have done alot of reading/research on the whole diet thing. When I first got my gliders I got very frustrated because one person would say their vet says this and another person would say their vet says just the opposite. I was going crazy trying to figure out who was right and who was wrong. For example I read almost everyone gives grapes...and yet some very respected glider people say never feed them as they inhibit kidney function. Another example...zoo keepers secret has peanuts in it and is highly recommended by some and yet I found many reports on the internet that say never feed peanuts as it inhibits thyroid function(what is a thyroid and what does it do?) so without diet bashing OR condoning I sat down and decided to start with the diet they eat in the wild and how can I best copy that at home? what is the nutritional value of their wild diet and how can I provide that. then I prayed and asked God for some insight. this is what I do: both consistancy and variety are needed. I have 4 staple foods that I regularly use on a rotation basis, changing each day. they get different fruits and vegetables each day. twice a week they get either yogurt or vanilla extra calcium ensure. everyother day they get vitamin supplements, but I use 2 different types. one made for gliders and one I mix myself. the one I mix myself I will sometimes give more often as a treat or "bonding bribe" I make it with bottled water, acacia gum powder, bee pollen, sprinkle of glider calcium, and a touch of NATURAL maple syrup to sweeten it. they love it! I also provide eucalypsis leaves and branches at all times. they get insects either safe crickets or mealworms (plan to try wax worms soon) everynight hand fed during tent time. the 4 staples I use are BML (and note I use raw honey and have not seen any ill effects...it's what nature makes)exotic nutrition's baby glider diet, complete diet, and eucalypsis diet. My guys will NOT eat it if it is still hard so I soften it with alittle bottled water. depending on the amount of fruit given they will always eat it and if at 2 am they havent touched it I sprinkle alittle fruit juice on it and that will make them eat it up. the complete diet I actually grind up in the blender and then add a couple ground figs to it before softening it. I have also "grouped" the friuts and vegies according to calcium ratios and always feed a mix from the SAME group and on the night I use a low ratio group is the night i use supplements. seems to be working so far as my 2 babes have progressed FAR faster then the "normal" I have read about and my mom and dad are way more active and fine furred than when I first got them. so what do you all think for a "newby"

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: JillMarie] #722586
01/24/09 07:44 AM
01/24/09 07:44 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
oh yeah!....one more thing....what they may not eat today they will eat another day. Just like we have moods or desires in food so do they. I have seen them refuse a food one day but then gobble it up on another try. It took weeks of tries befoe they finally ate kiwi. and my Kizmit hates crickets...but one day he decided to eat one. its just a mood thing...i guess

^website link wink

Re: Diet Fatigue [Re: JillMarie] #722590
01/24/09 08:05 AM
01/24/09 08:05 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Oh I forgot...I also use the zoo keepers secret as a treat food or just as a surprise dinner once in a while. I have found that both suz's sugar gliders and Lisa at suncoast to be very helpful and very unbiased in giving me answers and on 2 occassions Lisa has done extra research on two topics I was concerned about right away for me. No one person can have ALL the answers but COLLECTIVELY we can hopefully provide well for our little grey angels. Oh and the Pocket Pet People that were bashed abit in another topic...have you seen how they house the babies at the expos???? OMG! I am at all the expos in my area because i do wolf rescue as well...so I see and hear them all weekend. it's just....OMG!

^website link wink

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (KarenE), 341 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,571 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,159 UTAH
321,680 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024