Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
something is wrong with Sugar #726959
01/30/09 04:36 AM
01/30/09 04:36 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
I'm really worried about Sugar. Since we've moved to our new house (about two and a half years ago), Sugar's gotten a lot of UTIs. We can't figure out what the problem is, but every three to six months I'm back at the vet's office for a checkup, urine test, and Baytril. Once she started getting UTIs, she developed the habit of overgrooming. She was so good at hiding the UTI, until I figured out that no hair on the tip of her tail means she'll starting hissing when peeing in a couple days. Over the course of her meds, she'll spend a lot of time grooming the top and bottom of her tail and her cloacal area, and for some reason the back of her shoulder blades. The doctor wasn't too worried, because she never was completely bald in any one area, didn't seem to hurt herself, and it seemed related to the stress of the UTI and giving her medication. And she'd get furry again after a while.

Last week I noticed her tail tip was bald and called the vet. We got an appointment scheduled for two days later (the earliest he could see her) and by that time the areas around her cloaca and pouch were bald. She was still bright-eyed and perky-eared, active and eating well, barely hissing during urinating. I thought we caught it early for once. The doctor gave her an injection of Baytril and she has been on the meds twice a day for a week now.

But things haven't gotten better. She's hissing more, and crabbing. Sugar is my sweet one; she never crabs. And she is making weird sounds when going to bed in the morning. Not SM sounds, just weird ones. She's eating less and grooming more. She's spending a LOT more time in the pouch. Today at playtime I noticed all she wanted to do was clean her cloaca. She'd play for a minute and then flip down to clean herself. She's easily distracted but every once in a while it's like she goes "oh yeah!" and dives back to her cleaning.

Scarier, when I put Sugar back in the cage after the vet visit last week, I heard a scuffle in the pouch with her sister, Spice. Spice doesn't like the smell of the vet or being woken up once she retires to the pouch in the morning, so when I saw a small wound on Sugar's shoulder that night, I figure Spice nipped her. It's happened once before, also right after a vet visit. I've been watching this wound for a week now. It's never bleeding, and in fact it looks like it's starting to heal. But it looks bigger and now there is a small grooming patch around it. I don't know if it looks bigger because there is less fur there or if it looks bigger because she is making it bigger, but it scares me. Tonight I noticed another tiny patch of grooming (no sore though) on the shoulder in the exact same place.

Sugar has been sitting in a pouch in my lap with me for the last couple hours now. This in itself is weird (it's the middle of the night here, she should be up. Her sister is.). If she wakes up, she goes towards her cloaca right awaya and I just go SSST! and she stops. The rest of the time she sleeps. She's still so sweet. When I put my finger in the pouch, she licks my nail or presses her face into my hand. Her nose is warmer than normal. She's shakier. She looks sleepy.

We have an appointment with the vet in 7 hours (yay, 24-hour answering service). I'd put an e-collar on her, but in my lap she's so calm and mostly just sleeping and I can keep her from grooming herself by saying SSST! every time she tries to. I don't know what to do except hope now that everything will be ok.

I feel like I should be panicking. An hour and a half ago I was worried and on the brink of tears. But since I've been sitting with her, I feel better about things. She's calmed me down. I'm now just enjoying Sugar's calm comforting warmth in the pouch on my lap. I am wondering if it might be her time soon? I hope not, but I hate the idea of such a wonderful glider in pain. She and her sister are at least 7, maybe older; they've been with me for five years now at any rate. They're so much grayer than they were when they came to live with me.

Have your gliders ever given you a signal that their time was coming soon?

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #726962
01/30/09 04:59 AM
01/30/09 04:59 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Has the vet done a Culture and Sensitivity on your gliders urine? If not, I highly suggest one ASAP.

Also, Pure Cranberry Juice will keep the bacteria from sticking to the bladder wall thus preventing the bacteria from multiplying. Offer the cranberry juice instead of water for now.

Is her cloaca irritated from urinating? If it is... you can apply small amount of vasoline or even Prep H.

Be sure she is not constipated. I myself have a glider that will pluck her tail if she is constipated. Apple juice releives her of the problem.

When you put the female back into the cage after the vet.. give her a second pouch to sleep in so as not to disturb the other female. However, since it appears that the other female is overgrooming the area on the shoulder of her sick sister... you may have to seperate them till the wound is healed.

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Judie] #726970
01/30/09 07:01 AM
01/30/09 07:01 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
I agree with all Judie said. Also, what type of cage is the glider in? I'm wondering if that has something to do with the constant UTI's. Has the vet done any other tests on her?

Jeannine

3 Cats (Spike, Kismet, Honeycat)
1 understanding Husband
1 WFB Neutered Glider boy - Grissom! (oop 8/7/06) :wfb:
1 BB Glider girl- Willows! (oop 1/7/07) :bb:
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Gossamer] #726981
01/30/09 08:14 AM
01/30/09 08:14 AM
indiana
F
flutterbye Offline
Glider Guardian
flutterbye  Offline
Glider Guardian
F

indiana
Please make sure you let us know how the vet visit went. We will all be worried.

Shelly

~enhance your life, own a suggie or four~

Slave to
4 very spoiled suggies~Ginger,Spice,Penzey and Pepper
1 very spoiled black German Shepherd~Annie
1 very spoiled black standard poodle ~Ty
1 dove

Rest in Peace my dear Sadie...mommy loves you!
4 parakeets
55 gal fish aquarium
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: flutterbye] #727021
01/30/09 10:13 AM
01/30/09 10:13 AM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
Yes a culture and sensitivity will tell the vet what kind of bacteria is present and which antibiotic will clear it up. how long are the antibiotics being given??? Gliders require antibiotics longer than other animals. Your vet can consult with Dr. Tristan @ 361-994-1145. Hope Sugar improves.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Cora] #727104
01/30/09 01:00 PM
01/30/09 01:00 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Unfortunately, the vet called in sick today and I got a call at 5:55am am that our appt was canceled and the appointment is rescheduled for 9:40am tomorrow. Our vet is a good one who practices exclusively with exotics, and has not only a VetD but a PhD in animal nutrition. He also had an internship in Australia working with small animals for a year and a half).

We did the culture & sensistivity each time, and it always came back with signs of white blood cells in the urine and with an enteric (intestinal) bacterial infection. This past time there were no white blood cells but she developed all the UTI symptoms and remember, we thought we caught it very early. The vet says that once a glider gets a UTI, they are more prone to UTIs because their immune system will go through a big response trying to ward off problems. So the symptoms hit quicker and stronger when there might be only a smaller-scale infection or irritation.

The cage is a 6'x3'x2' cage made of Klubertanz PVC-coated wire. It's the same cage we had before we moved.

I'm not sure now if it is Sugar's sister who inflicted the initial wound or not, and I'm more concerned about the over grooming around the wound. There are always two pouches in the cage in case one of them doesn't want to sleep with the other. For the past two days they've slept apart during the night and together when they are most sound asleep during the day.

The overgrooming is in a circle around her shoulder wound, a small circle on the other shoulder, a small circle around her pouch opening, a large circle around her cloaca, a strip down the entire length of her tail's underside, a strip down most of the length of her tail's topside, and the tail tip. There are no wounds anywhere except the shoulder, and there is a little fuzz in both the groomed strips. I do think her cloaca is irritated and that's why she is grooming it, but now she is also grooming her pouch a lot.

I sat with Sugar in my lap for another hour and a half or two hours last night. She was calm and sleepy and not once did she wake up to groom. When she woke up she was perky and I hand fed her about 1 tablespoon of peas, apples, and mangos, and let her lick yogurt off my finger. She got restless and I put her back in the cage. She peed, but it was painful (hissing) and when it was done she drank a ton of water and then began grooming her cloaca again. I distracted her and she ran around the cage for a few minutes before grooming again. It's so frustrating. Once she goes to sleep she is fine, and if you keep her distracted she will forget about grooming for a little while. So I will keep her with me tonight again to keep her distracted.

I am going to ask the vet to switch meds (after a week, no change) or maybe to consider adding a little in the way of pain meds to make things easier for her.

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #727106
01/30/09 01:03 PM
01/30/09 01:03 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
The vet said the enteric was the commonest bacterial UTI of small animals with cloacae. Sharing a common opening means there are some enterics hanging around anyway, and eventually they head up the tract and make trouble.

In the first two UTIs, we had her on a different med, which didn't work, and both times switched to Baytril after trying a gentler med.

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #727135
01/30/09 02:06 PM
01/30/09 02:06 PM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
Is it possible the one has some type of skin condition? maybe mites or even an allergy? From what I understand, a glider needs to be on meds for a full 3 weeks for an UTI or it may come back. Was the the length Sugar was on? Please let us know what the vet says.

Jeannine

1 understanding Husband
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Gossamer] #727443
01/30/09 10:03 PM
01/30/09 10:03 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Has your vet checked her anal glands? Females have them as well as males, but with the recurrence like this I'd be inclined to suspect a possible abscess that's not entirely healing. Xray could help show if she's backed up at all, also.

While I understand your reluctance to put her in a collar, I do hope you have one, know that it fits, how to put it on quickly, and keep in mind that a glider can do fatal damage if they chew into the cloaca/abdomen in less than 15 minutes if they're in pain or determined. And may not make a sound when they do it.

My vet has a lot of experience with the glands, and is in on Sa-urday mornings (and will consult with another -et) if needed: 801-485-4736 Dr. Laurel Harris at Wasatch Exotics.

Healthy glands should be about the size of a grain of rice and soft-barely detectable, at the 3:00 and 9:00 positions (pouch would be 12:00)-if infected/abscessed they enlarge and harden. Worth looking into.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Xfilefan] #727480
01/30/09 11:14 PM
01/30/09 11:14 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
Another thought....
In talking with Mary she said...
Multiple UTI's are an indication of a stone.....people need to start saying 'get an ultrasound', not just more meds!! I learned the very hard way. And her description, including the grooming, is Roo all over (Roo passed away from this)! The strange noises, all of it!! My heart is hurting right now just reliving it. But if this is what is going on with this girls glider, she needs to know. There are things they can do to support the kidneys and more importantly, keep her glider comfortable, even if only for a while.
I sent you a PM Sarah.

Pat

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
I miss you gangel Boo-Boo, Lucy, BJ, and Fivel gangel
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: ozzi] #727538
01/31/09 12:40 AM
01/31/09 12:40 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Things are getting worse. I came home today and the wound was so much larger on Sugar's neck/shoulder. It's larger and crater-shaped. I've attached a picture; it looks even worse in this image because took it after I rinsed the would with saline solution and applied Bacitracin with a q-tip to keep things moist (before that, it looked much drier). From the position and the fact that she doesn't mess with it at all, I think it has to be her cagemate doing this. Tonight I will keep Sugar separate from Spice (thank goodness we have a spare cage!). It's so frustrating that just when Sugar gets sick, Spice decides to attack her.

I noticed the cloacal cleaning is always worst after she pees or poops. For about 15-30 minutes afterwards we need to distract her and then she is ok. I feel like we can get through tonight ok.

Some good suggestions I've gotten are about anal gland problems and kidney stones. I'll request an ultrasound from the vet tomorrow to see what we can do. Hoepfully it is something small and fixable. Please keep Sugar in your thoughts and prayers.

Attached Files
sugar.JPG (247 downloads)
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #727559
01/31/09 01:27 AM
01/31/09 01:27 AM
Elkhorn, WI
CSteele Offline
Glider Slave
CSteele  Offline
Glider Slave

Elkhorn, WI
Sara, you and Sugar are in my thoughts hug2 good luck to you and Sugar tomorrow!

Celeste
262-325-7137

Spoonful of Sugars-Gliders & Gear
www.glidersandgear.com

:grey: Nissa, Moose, Faye, Dexter, Frankie,
:wfb: Shakespeare, Elsbeth, Isabeau, Dartanion,
:wt: Adonis
:rtmo: Lily & Lil Aphrodite (my wht mo)

gangel Squirrel & Damien

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: CSteele] #727577
01/31/09 02:15 AM
01/31/09 02:15 AM
Missouri
tammyangel Offline
Glider Slave
tammyangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Missouri
Prayers and my thought for you and your little one.

Having Faith and Hope that some day soon.That all the world will come to see that all of gods babies deserve love and affection.

gangel My little three precious angels :rbridge:

http://suggieshack.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=login

Mom to some really spoiled little ones.

:rtmo:
:leu:
:grey:

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: tammyangel] #727612
01/31/09 03:16 AM
01/31/09 03:16 AM
Homestead, FL
Adri Offline
Glider Guardian
Adri  Offline
Glider Guardian

Homestead, FL
My heart goes out to you and sugar. Many prayers sent your way.

Adri

Mother of 2
Adrian, Sofie
Slave to many glidin' gliders

www.sugarsensation.com

Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved.
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Adri] #727615
01/31/09 03:28 AM
01/31/09 03:28 AM
Chicago Suburbs, IL
GliderGrrrL Offline
Glider Guardian
GliderGrrrL  Offline
Glider Guardian

Chicago Suburbs, IL
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Sugar, Sara. Good luck tomorrow.

Nicole
Mommy to
A spoiled Yorkie, Lexi
2 very spoiled Fuzbutts: Delilah & Nemo
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: GliderGrrrL] #727755
01/31/09 01:56 PM
01/31/09 01:56 PM

L
lookin4asuggie
Unregistered
lookin4asuggie
Unregistered
L

maybe it has something to do with her diet does she eat meal worms:)

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: ] #727777
01/31/09 02:36 PM
01/31/09 02:36 PM
indiana
F
flutterbye Offline
Glider Guardian
flutterbye  Offline
Glider Guardian
F

indiana
owwww that looks painful...please update us on how Sugar is doing....poor baby...your both in my prayers

Shelly

~enhance your life, own a suggie or four~

Slave to
4 very spoiled suggies~Ginger,Spice,Penzey and Pepper
1 very spoiled black German Shepherd~Annie
1 very spoiled black standard poodle ~Ty
1 dove

Rest in Peace my dear Sadie...mommy loves you!
4 parakeets
55 gal fish aquarium
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: flutterbye] #727800
01/31/09 03:05 PM
01/31/09 03:05 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
We just got back from the vet. The doctor ordered a culture and sensitivity (apparently they did not do that last week, just looked at urine under the microscope for red and white blood cells). Because it is a weekend, the results will be in on Monday or Tuesday and that will dictate how we proceed.

He palpated her anal glands and kidneys to check for compacted glands and for stones. Her anal glands are fine. I asked him about stones, and he said that while they are not common in gliders, it is a concern. If the culture and sensitivity is clear, we will check for that next using x-ray or ultrasound. However, he thinks it is unlikey because: the kidneys are easy to palpate because they are near the surface of the lower back and are not covered by bones. When he has had gliders with kidney stones in the past, they have been easy to feel, and put the glider into a lot of stress from the pain. Her kidneys feel normal and sugar didn't seem to mind him palpating those. It may be the case that it is a bladder infection---there was some swelling there that was not present last week. In the past (with a previous UTI), her bladder has been swollen and Sugar showed signs of discomfort when he palpated that.

The vet switched her meds from Baytril twice a day to trimethiprim sulfa twice a day. He wants to try a different med now since the Baytril is not working, and it will be a few days till the culture & sensitivity comes back. When that comes back we will know for sure what route to take. They flavored it with something that Sugar apparently finds very tasty.

For the wound, the doctor advised against continuing with the Bacitracin, but said it was ok that she had it on her last night. Even though it is very good for wounds, it is not good for the digestive tract, so for self-cleaning animals it is problematic. He prescribed Neo-Predef powder for the wound, to be applied twice a day. The Neo-Predef contains an anti-inflammatory, a bacteriacide, and a pain med/anesthesia.

One issue of concern is that Sugar has lost 6 grams since last Friday. She has not been eating a whole lot, but takes food readily when hand fed. When we came back from the vet she was very hungry (and this was after a kingworm and 3 cheerios at the vet's office) and ate some avocado and drank a bit of juice. The doctor recommended leaving a lot of juice (cranberry or orange or anything with a little acid) and letting her have as much as she wanted to keep fluids up and maybe change the pH of her urine. She is not dehydrated (she drinks a lot of water and the tent test is fine), but there is always a risk with UTIs.

For the overgrooming: he says this is all stress and pain-related. He says I can help keep the cloaca clean with clean water on a cotton ball. If I have any witch-hazel, I can add that to the water (but I'm not sure where to buy it...).

The doctor thinks that we will know tonight whether or not Sugar is making her wound worse, but he thinks it's her cagemate/sister, Spice. I am supposed to keep the two gliders in separate cages for the course of the meds. The doctor thinks the UTI has changed the scent of Sugar's urine, which is a problem because it makes her smell unfamiliar. I am amazed that the gliders could sleep together every night of their lives (7+ years) and that this could still be a problem, but I'm not a glider.

The doctor was positive, and we still have treatment options open. Please keep sending your positive thoughts our way.

Last edited by LSardou; 02/01/09 02:12 AM. Reason: edited for doseage
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #728185
02/01/09 02:07 AM
02/01/09 02:07 AM

S
sheila82
Unregistered
sheila82
Unregistered
S

You can buy witch hazel at wal mart or any other pharmacy. It is right with alcohol and peroxide. You might try to get ahold of Bourbon. We were at a glider gathering a while back and she seems to know quite a bit about UTI's in gliders. She may have some helpful hints to send your way. Her number is 321-331-1608. Or her other contact info is in the emergency contact information on the home page. I'm not much help with the UTI issue, as we've been lucky enough to have never had to deal with the UTI issues. We wish you the best of luck, and we're prayin for your baby.. Keep us posted.

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: ] #728229
02/01/09 03:27 AM
02/01/09 03:27 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
If she eats when hand fed-then hand feed, and go for her favorites on the heavy side to keep her weight up. When ill, nutrition is secondary (still important, but not as important as weight loss).

Know that with a bladder infection, when anal glands are eliminated, she could have the infection driving up into her kidneys without any way to tell they are involved, except that the pain level is stressing her into the overgrooming...if all tests show normal function of the kidneys (that they aren't compromised-ie possibly unable to handle the meds) your vet may want to take whatever antibiotic the culture shows is appropriate, and extend the length of treatment a few weeks, considering the recurrences. I've been through this more than a few times.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Xfilefan] #728248
02/01/09 04:01 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Thanks to everyone for the positive thoughts and prayers.

Sugar is in good spirits tonight, she even went for a run on the wheel! She is up and moving around and perky. It's so much easier to give her trimethiprim sulfa than to give her Baytril---the vet flavored it and she likes it a lot.

She didn't eat much last night but this night has drank a lot of juice and water and we are giving her mealies and grapes whatever food she will take from us. I am hoping she gets her appetite back with a switch to the new meds.

She seemed desperate to find Spice tonight (searching everywhere, calling, trying to get to the other cage), so I gave them some *highly supervised* playtime together. They both seemed happy to see each other and did a lot of chattering. After Sugar saw Spice, she was much more relaxed and less jittery. I am going to be swapping their pouches every night so they can keep being reminded of each others' smell.

We are not out of the woods but I hope things are getting better.

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #728249
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
PS thanks for the tip about witch hazel!

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #728398
02/01/09 02:21 PM
02/01/09 02:21 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
This is great news about Sugar! I hope that things will continue getting better and your two little ones will be back together soon.
Sending lots of hugs and prayers!
hug2

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: LSardou] #728427
02/01/09 03:28 PM
02/01/09 03:28 PM
Elkhorn, WI
CSteele Offline
Glider Slave
CSteele  Offline
Glider Slave

Elkhorn, WI
Wonderful news for you and Sugar!!!! dance I will keep my fingers crossed for the continued progress!!

Celeste
262-325-7137

Spoonful of Sugars-Gliders & Gear
www.glidersandgear.com

:grey: Nissa, Moose, Faye, Dexter, Frankie,
:wfb: Shakespeare, Elsbeth, Isabeau, Dartanion,
:wt: Adonis
:rtmo: Lily & Lil Aphrodite (my wht mo)

gangel Squirrel & Damien

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: CSteele] #728819
02/02/09 03:40 AM
02/02/09 03:40 AM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Sugar has now had four doses of the trimethaprim sulfa and I have separated her into a different cage from her sister. Her wound seems to have stabilized (not gotten worse) and her eating seems to have picked up a lot compared to previous nights---she ate a good amount of food, and most of it on her own, though I am feeding her by hand some food throughout the day just to be on the safe side. She is not cleaning the powder from her wound (good sign!).

My one concern is that her pain when pooping seems to be getting worse. Whereas before she would only hiss, now she is crabbing and hissing, and her whole body is shaking and heaving while she strains to poop (during urination it is still a hiss). It takes longer for the poop to move out of her cloaca and she definitely wants to use her nose/mouth to help it come out. I try to distract her from straining and cleaning herself mid-poop but obviously I can't be there for everything.

Her poop has not changed in color and is soft (normal amount of squishiness - not dry at all) and uniform/consistent in texture. I emailed my vet to see if there is anything I can do to ease her pain or make it easier for her to poop. I will respond with his advice but I am pretty sure he has recommended against mineral oil in the past (in case of aspiration) and anyway the poop itself is normal---just not the getting it out part.

I feel sorry for her because she is spending more time than I would prefer in her pouch with me rather than in her cage running around. frown

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #728820
02/02/09 03:45 AM
02/02/09 03:45 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
the 'crab/hiss' is one of the ways to describe the SM noise, exclusive to cloacal Self Mutilatiors. Whether you want to or not, now her life is at stake if a collar is not used. Progressing to this says the meds are NOT working. frown

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Xfilefan] #728821
02/02/09 03:49 AM
02/02/09 03:49 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
If the poops are normal consistency, something else is wrong-inflammation may be making it hard for her to go. She needs to go back to the vet, pain meds (like Torbuterol, can be given every 4 hours, or Butorphanol) and a collar to prevent damage. Once damage is there, her chances go down dramatically-the best thing is to not let it start. If the med is right, the pain should be subsiding, NOT getting worse worried

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Xfilefan] #728838
02/02/09 07:12 AM
02/02/09 07:12 AM
Long Island, NY
Gossamer Offline
Glider Slave
Gossamer  Offline
Glider Slave

Long Island, NY
My vet told me the Tri-sulfa is a baby antibiotic that is used to treat skin wounds and is not strong enough to treat a UTI or infection. Did the vet give you an antiinflammatory or pain meds? I also feel she should be in an ecollar at this point. Poor baby.

Jeannine

1 understanding Husband
Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: Gossamer] #729041
02/02/09 02:28 PM
02/02/09 02:28 PM
Norman, OK
S
SarahW Offline OP
Glider Lover
SarahW  Offline OP
Glider Lover
S

Norman, OK
Sugar is not hurting herself when she is making this noise. She is straining to poop, and starts out by doing the hiss she's been doing the past few days, then midway through her body shakes in pain and she crabs for a second, then once the builk of the poop is out she returns to the hissing. I have had a glider SM before and this is not that noise. It looks like she is dealing with a spike of pain by making a crabbing noise.

I got an email back from the vet and he has prescribed Metacam for the pain, and that prescription will be filled this afternoon.

The problem is that the Baytril wasn't working, and the results from the culture and sensitivity aren't back yet---the doctor wanted to switch her meds to replace the Baytril, but doesn't want to nuke her system with a heavy med that could be inappropriate or could react with the Baytril in her system. Not every med is right for every bacteria.

One thing I am starting to wonder is if Sugar was ever responsible for the overgrooming. Since we separated her from her sister, a layer of fuzz has appeared over her bald patches on the tail (both sides) and around her cloaca. I am paying a lot of attention to her grooming. When Sugar tries to lick her cloaca, it is mostly happening when she is pooping. I wonder if she is trying to make her poop come out faster or easier. She grooms for only a second after peeing, and isn't spending too much time grooming down there when she is not or hasn't recently peed or pooped. When our male had his SM problem a couple years ago, he was always after his cloaca. It was impossible to distract him. I can distract Sugar from grooming pretty easily with food. I am of course keeping a constant eye on her, but the situation is so different that I am still hopeful.

I separated them one night before switching meds so I don't know if the fuzz growth is due to the separation or the meds. At any rate, I'm glad about the pain meds.

Re: something is wrong with Sugar [Re: SarahW] #729158
02/02/09 05:43 PM
02/02/09 05:43 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Please do NOT use the Metacam for more than three days. It can cause organ failure (liver). It is an anti-inflamitory and can be useful but if pain persists past day three, please switch to Torb.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024