Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization #770438
04/26/09 12:17 AM
04/26/09 12:17 AM

R
reddiva
Unregistered
reddiva
Unregistered
R

My fiance [now husband] and I rescued a 2 &1/2 year female Glider....raised solo. The intention was, i think, for me to have a pet since before him i had never been petless. including a lot of difficult rescues. I studied up on the taming, undoing past owner damage & everything else on gliders. We renamed her Flymouse, the mandarin word for sugar glider, after several of my husband's film students & interns [from asia] called her that. We decided to wait to get a 2nd glider since she had been always alone....bonded to 1 person [sad divorce] we wanted to get more advice on introducing a 2nd since she was uniquely not glider socialized.
2 weeks after acquiring her, My husband was diagnosed with a nasty, fast growing cancer. The prognosis was 3 months.....It's been 9 & although declining he's still pretty active & we live every day as normally as we can.

At first he went thru months of chemo [censored] & exhaustion. His larynx was removed...meaning he talks thru an electro vocalizer...frightening to some humans but not Flymouse. Flymouse became his light at the end of the day...his companion [they are remarkably good[healthwise] cancer pets] She follows him everywhere[when not in his pocket]...loves to snuggle in his pockets & can often be found sleeping in the toe of his boot or inside one of his guitars. She tolerates me....plays with me & will sleep with me if he's unavailable but she made Greg hers.
She really made a difference.sometimes this was the only thing that made him smile .this guy never had pets but turned into a mushy teddy bear with her. He's taken over feeding, making toys & really uses Flymouse [and me] to not think about cancer
Now he is in home hospice care...still active but theres no more treatments. in some ways...good. No more poison, chemo brain or chemo depression. One sign of his decline however is frequent coughing...his lungs are filling with metastasized tumors.
This week the coughing got a lot louder & more frequent. yesterday we noticed something. AAt wakeup & play time...instead of hearing barks we heard a strange noise. Within a few hours Flymouse had mastered Greg's style of coughing.
At first Greg, a total stranger to animals was actually hurt & thought she was making fun of him.
I managed to recruit my son who trains "problem" dogs & "exotics" & got Greg to understand. He's thrilled now.
By tonite coughing has pretty much replaced barking as "come find me & play" she follows him at night coughing...or sits on his desk, chirps, whirs & coughs conversationally. This morning, just to be sure, I took her to the vet. She's fine....just learned a new conversation tool.
Since he doesn't really talk like I do this is probably a real triumph...she can "talk" like him.

When my beloved goes...probably a few months.....could be weeks. I know I will have a grave new problem...shes going to mourn as much as me.

Meanwhile...i had to share.

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #770449
04/26/09 12:34 AM
04/26/09 12:34 AM
Florida
BindiAndScrubbie Offline
Glider Slave
BindiAndScrubbie  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida
Wow that is so amazing. I'm sorry to hear about your husband, I can't imagine. hug2

Davie

:rtmo:SpoiledRottenSuggies.com

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy - Anne Frank
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: BindiAndScrubbie] #770458
04/26/09 12:58 AM
04/26/09 12:58 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
I am so sorry that your husband is having to go through this. Tell him that flymouse is his 'gliding light home' What a remarkable angel she is.
My heart and prayers are with all of you. hug2

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: LSardou] #770465
04/26/09 01:18 AM
04/26/09 01:18 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
My heart goes out to you, I know all to well what your going through. Flymouse knows what your husband is enduring and has adopted him to give him as much love as she can in the time she will have with him.

You will most definately have a glider to grieve with when your husband crosses the Rainbow Bridge.

May you have the strength to endure the days ahead.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: Feather] #770484
04/26/09 01:42 AM
04/26/09 01:42 AM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
Welcome to GC. I hope you find a warm home here with us!

And thank you for your AMAZING and terribly sad but beautiful story. I'm just bawling. What a wonderful light in his life she has been. heart

Praying for you and your family ~

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: DirtyPaws] #770516
04/26/09 03:19 AM
04/26/09 03:19 AM

R
reddiva
Unregistered
reddiva
Unregistered
R

thank you to all of you. it really is the most amazing thing. Greg really had never experienced any animal "choosing him" i had known that gliders are very bright social creatures but not that they can pick "that person" like i've had dogs & one "rescue raccoon" do with me.
She really has brightened both our lives but there been times he really needed something special that was his to care for & train. well he has me for the caring for...probly not the training. soon as i figure out how i will upload pictures. one question....i really am wondering......do i need to worry about her when the time comes? don't get me wrong...shes mine too but its not the same. i've had pets bonded to each other refuse to eat & just fade away when one dies.
thanks guys

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: Feather] #770518
04/26/09 03:23 AM
04/26/09 03:23 AM

R
reddiva
Unregistered
reddiva
Unregistered
R

BTW Greg is from Wisconsin & his parents & 5 sibs are there...they all want to know more about gliders & love them...having met Flymouse. I'll pass along there's a rescue there

Last edited by sugarlope; 04/26/09 03:44 AM. Reason: removed all caps
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #770535
04/26/09 04:19 AM
04/26/09 04:19 AM
Chicago Suburbs, IL
GliderGrrrL Offline
Glider Guardian
GliderGrrrL  Offline
Glider Guardian

Chicago Suburbs, IL
Reading this post has brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart. As for Flymouse when your husband passes, I would get her a glider friend. Get the one now, that way after a 30 day quarantine, you can introduce the new one to Flymouse. That should help her once Greg passes. I'll be saying a prayer for your husband and your family. hug2

Nicole
Mommy to
A spoiled Yorkie, Lexi
2 very spoiled Fuzbutts: Delilah & Nemo
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: GliderGrrrL] #770543
04/26/09 07:12 AM
04/26/09 07:12 AM
Southeast Iowa
Ember Offline
Glider Explorer
Ember  Offline
Glider Explorer

Southeast Iowa
Thank you for sharing your story, it really hits home for me in a lot of ways. I hope that each day brings new strength for you. Your husband and you and Flymouse are in my thoughts and prayers hug2

Casey

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: Ember] #770659
04/26/09 03:09 PM
04/26/09 03:09 PM

R
reddiva
Unregistered
reddiva
Unregistered
R

if you want to see pictures or know more about Greg & me.....i keep an [almost] daily blog at gogregster.com. ignore our pleas for funds...thats not why i'm sending you....but theres a section of pictures a blog & some really good music
reddiva

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #770661
04/26/09 03:15 PM
04/26/09 03:15 PM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Truly a heart warming story - I am really sorry to hear about your husband - live every moment as happy as the two of you can -

My prayers are with you

You both have one magnificent little furry baby -

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #771179
04/27/09 03:36 PM
04/27/09 03:36 PM

S
sugarsweet820
Unregistered
sugarsweet820
Unregistered
S

Thats great that your little lady is able to comfert Greg in a way you can not. I wish you all the best and Will Keep You and Your Family in my Prayers

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #771188
04/27/09 03:49 PM
04/27/09 03:49 PM

B
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
BBsuggiesBG
Unregistered
B

This story is so touching... I'm actually teary-eyed and all. I don't think Flymouse could be anymore awesome. A lovely girl you have.

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #771191
04/27/09 03:56 PM
04/27/09 03:56 PM
East Texas (Tyler Tx)
MagicEyez Offline
Glider Slave
MagicEyez  Offline
Glider Slave

East Texas (Tyler Tx)
What am amazing story!! My thoughts and prayers will be going out to you and your loved ones ~ and to Flymouse as well!!!! How lucky you guys are to have her and vise versa!!!

‡*Lauri -aka- Queen Of Everything*‡
:glider: Draven, Diego, Dirk, Delilah, KC & Sunshine :glider:
(^-_-^) Mom to 2 cats - Missy & Furby (^-_-^)

All around furbutt lover & Offical Member of the DB's Club

http://txmagiceyez.webs.com/index.htm
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: MagicEyez] #775130
05/05/09 07:34 AM
05/05/09 07:34 AM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
Our thoughts and prayers are with you ... and with little Flymouse, too

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: LabNGliderMom] #775154
05/05/09 08:53 AM
05/05/09 08:53 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Flymouse obviously knows how much she is loved and her special "skill" is, just her loving Greg back. She senses the need Greg has for her and she is fulfilling that need with her love. The bond they have is incredible and amazing. I love that she communicates to him, esp the coughing. What a remarkable glider. I agree that getting her a cage mate before needed, is a good thing to do. She will definitely grieve and her cage mate will help her. Don't worry about that having a cage mate will lessen her love for and bond with Greg. Gliders have an unlimited capacity for love. My prayers go out to you. I'm glad you found your way here. There will always be someone here for you when you need them. Please, call me any time, if you'd like to. And I mean, any time. My numbers are below.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: LabNGliderMom] #775156
05/05/09 08:56 AM
05/05/09 08:56 AM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
What an amazing story. That is really incredibly sweet.

My dad recently passed away from cancer, and he was in home hospice care as well. His cat (one of them) attached herself so closely to my dad - she slept with him up until the very end. She never learned any new vocalizations, but she was attached to him like Flymouse is to your husband. She mourned when my dad passed, but after she was given time and love, she's not attached herself to me pretty closely. Flymouse will be okay, just be sure to be there for her (that may seem a little silly, but she's going to need you just like if she were a person).

hug2

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: glidergrl1513] #775175
05/05/09 09:45 AM
05/05/09 09:45 AM
Williamsburg, Ohio
Zuki_Mom Offline
Glider Lover
Zuki_Mom  Offline
Glider Lover

Williamsburg, Ohio
Thank you for sharing this story, it's absolutely amazing. I'm sorry for how hard of a time you are going through, thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Tiffany

Glider mom to:
Nami, Zizi, Xavier, Askr, Gio, & Alice

Also mom to:
1 Dog-Evie
2 Cats-Apollo and Morpheous
2 Beautiful Skin Kids
angel For all my lost angels, Mom loves you angel
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: Zuki_Mom] #775198
05/05/09 10:29 AM
05/05/09 10:29 AM
TX
tootles Offline
Glider Slave
tootles  Offline
Glider Slave

TX
What a wonderful story. I wish I had found gliders before I lost my sister to cancer I think she would have enjoyed them too. It's so wonderful what our pets can do for us and how amazing they are when we need them most. What a blessing that little girl will be for him. Prayers to you all.

Tracy

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #775321
05/05/09 02:45 PM
05/05/09 02:45 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
Thank you for sharing this amazing, although heart breaking story. Brings back a memory. A friend was was battling cancer years ago. His wife told me that Marc would look out the window at the squirrels at play and thought wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to play with the squirrels. When she told me this I told her I have the next best thing. I told her about Boo-Boo. I brought Boo-Boo over to Marc and when he took Boo from me Boo just stayed there with him, sitting next to Marcs neck, just snuggled in. Boo was one to always run back to daddy if I ever handed him to someone but there he stayed. Like he knew. Marc would joke "I'm sharing my oxygen with Boo-Boo". It was amazing to watch the immediate bond between them.
Yes, our little animal friends are truly amazing.
My deepest sympathies that you are both going through this.
Bless you all, and little Flymouse too angel

Pat

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
I miss you gangel Boo-Boo, Lucy, BJ, and Fivel gangel
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ozzi] #778361
05/11/09 08:04 PM
05/11/09 08:04 PM

M
mamahunni
Unregistered
mamahunni
Unregistered
M

wow. your story is amazing! my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. what an incredible little girl you've got! and remember-everything happens for a reason. i truly believe that flymouse was meant to be with you and your husband. i have tears just rolling down my cheeks after reading this. this is a wonderful example of how love works. i wish the best to you all. hug2 angel heart hug2

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #781939
05/21/09 03:01 AM
05/21/09 03:01 AM

A
AngelRN
Unregistered
AngelRN
Unregistered
A

how is little flymouse and you doing?

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #781941
05/21/09 03:40 AM
05/21/09 03:40 AM
Tennessee
Kayrahmommie Offline
Joey Member
Kayrahmommie  Offline
Joey Member

Tennessee
What a touching story, it made me tear up.
It's so lucky you and your husband have been blessed with such a special little glider. She sounds like a true gift.
My little niece is suffering from a brain tumor. I bought my nephew a puppy for his birthday and ever since MaKayla got sick, the little pup is with her night and day. He seems to think it's his job to take care of her. Our pets really are amazing sometimes.
My prays go out to you and your family during such a hard time.

Kaylagrin
Mommie to two suggies, one fat and lazy bulldog, and my wonderful furless baby.
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: Kayrahmommie] #783674
05/24/09 10:00 PM
05/24/09 10:00 PM

Z
Zaina
Unregistered
Zaina
Unregistered
Z

Oh I'm so sorry, your story made me cry, your so lucky to have this glider, she is very special, and Flymouse still has you. God bless.
Please update us on how she is doing.

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #785030
05/27/09 03:46 PM
05/27/09 03:46 PM
Oregon
Kage Offline
Glider Lover
Kage  Offline
Glider Lover

Oregon
Thank you for sharing this amazing, heart warming, yet sad stroy. It brought tears to my eyes. That is really neat that Flymouse is there for him. Plus I welcome you to GC. I really hope you like it here. I'm really sorry to hear about your husband and you 3 will be in my prayers. I hope you all have a good time while you all can.

:grey: :grey:
Jennie RVT CVT, with Amos & Amelia

:rbridge: Oreo, Cookie, Snicker, and Doodle

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: Kage] #785330
05/28/09 02:11 AM
05/28/09 02:11 AM

C
ChristyDawn
Unregistered
ChristyDawn
Unregistered
C

Truly amazing story. This is AWESOME!!!! YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS!!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!!

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #812009
07/26/09 12:56 PM
07/26/09 12:56 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

I have been keeping up on gogregster.com ever since Reddiva first posted this story. Flymouse had a vet checkup the other day and is doing just fine. Greg however is not... There are now signs that the cancer has spread to his brain, but they are being cautiously optomistic. If you have never read her bog, you really should. This couple is absolutely amazing in their dedication to giving Greg aas normal an end to life as possible, and there are some cute pics of the glider too!

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: ] #846486
09/30/09 09:02 PM
09/30/09 09:02 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I have sad news to deliver Greg passed away August 10, 2009.

I found this when I checked their blog tonight. Here is a little blurb from her blog.
Quote:
Thats how we got Flymouse. we were in Chicago on a roadtrip. i was oooohing & awwing over a mistreated /shy/ unsafe w/ humans/skinny solo [they are always in pairs]sugar glider while Greg was getting coffee. he thought i had stopped to get a strange [sugar glider] pastry. he found me beaming with Flymouse climbing up my arm, nestin in my hair & chattering in my ear.

We went back to his sons house
that night Greg announced his intention to aquire Flymouse [then gremlin]. he had seen me with an animal. he felt he culdnt deprive that part of me.
i actually wept & begged him not to….i was afraid, like marriage, to alter a perfect thing.

loving, animal despising Greg prevailed.

we know how THAT turned out. Flymouse went to work on Greg & before we got home he was putty in her paws. the day after we returned we learned the totally unexpected news….3 weeks to 3 months. chemo started that day.
FLYMOUSE WENT TO WORK……..lovving, distracting, learning to cough like Greg….forcing him to care for her no matter how tired….and living in his pocket. Right thru the end….guarding him like a banshee when he was comatose…..flying a soaring ballet over us as he passed.

right now she is working again….comforting my favorite non-son young man who is grieving deeply over Greg. he thinks he’s taking care of HER.

Work your magic little Flymouse

I’M FREE
Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free.
I'm following the path God has laid you see.
I took His hand when I heard Him call.
I turned my back and left it all.
I could not stay another day,
to laugh, to love, to work, or play.
Tasks left undone, must stay that way.
I found my peace on that day.

If my parting has left a void,
Then fill it with remembered joys.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
Oh yes, these things I too will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I savored much.
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.

Perhaps my time was all too brief
Don’t lengthen it with undue grief
Lift up your heart and in peace be
God wanted me now, He set me free!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: Feather] #846500
09/30/09 09:37 PM
09/30/09 09:37 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
I have no words. Only tears.
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Glider bonded to cancer patient/ new vocalization [Re: suggiemom1980] #846517
09/30/09 10:27 PM
09/30/09 10:27 PM
Sedona, AZ
ozzi Offline
Glider Addict
ozzi  Offline
Glider Addict

Sedona, AZ
cry cry cry Absolutely heart breaking cry cry cry
I feel bad for not following up on that thread.... upset
Pat

Pat
You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.....Unknown

Rest in Peace our little sweet friends that have crossed over the "Rainbow Bridge".
I miss you gangel Boo-Boo, Lucy, BJ, and Fivel gangel
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 323 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,572 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,681 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024