Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Suggies and kids... #780704
05/18/09 09:32 AM
05/18/09 09:32 AM

J
JoGirl
Unregistered
JoGirl
Unregistered
J

Ok.. this question is very important to me... I have 5 kids- the 2 legged kind. Can anyone tell me how it changes the bonding process with suggies? Is there any other precautions I need to know of? Should I make the kids leave the suggies alone til they are bonded with ME or should I let them bond with the suggie too?

ANY advice on this would be very welcome!

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #780713
05/18/09 10:32 AM
05/18/09 10:32 AM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
Hmm...I'm not terribly experienced, but i do have 4 little girls. (Ages 6, 3, 2, and 8 months.) Dexter is my first suggie and ive had him about a month and a half.

Anytime he thinks my children are approaching his pouch, he crabs like theres no tomorrow. I think if maybe i included the six year old in play time he could come to like her, but its a rule in my house that the little ones DO NOT touch Dexter. (Or "Decker", as they call him. lol)

What i do to insure there are no unauthorized guests in Dex's cage is ziptie all the doors closed every night. When i need to get in there i just snip the ties, do what i need to do, and then ziptie it back with a new one.

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Gliders have indentured servants.

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: MissSarah] #780770
05/18/09 01:22 PM
05/18/09 01:22 PM

J
JoGirl
Unregistered
JoGirl
Unregistered
J

Thank you. My kiddos are 11 yr old girl, 10 yr old boy, 5 yr old boy, 4 yr old girl, and a 5 month old boy. They all love animals..

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #780782
05/18/09 01:45 PM
05/18/09 01:45 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
Mine do too smile They actually have two guinea pigs that we get out for floor time and theyre fine with them. Im just afraid the younger ones might squeeze or freak out if he climbs onto them. (Even though theyre normally pretty good with animals. You never really know how theyre going to react though.)

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Gliders have indentured servants.

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: MissSarah] #781008
05/18/09 09:12 PM
05/18/09 09:12 PM

A
AussieLove3
Unregistered
AussieLove3
Unregistered
A

I have three daughters ages 14, 13 and 8. That is a good question, one that I wouldve asked had I thought about it when I first got my gliders.
However, I didn't ask, and proceeded to let the suggies bond with all of us at once! Not overly agressively of course, and I was careful to monitor each thing one of my girls do, but now, they have playtime in the bathroom along side me and it is well known in our house, that only mom can get them out, and when they are out, they have to be "chosen" somewhat for the gliders to play with them.
In other words, they don't force the gliders to come to them or onto them, and the gliders like them just fine.
I would say that my youngest probably smells the most like me, (becasue she is a hugger and obviously younger and wants more mommy attention)and I do notice that they seem to gravitate towards her more than the other two who don't have as much of "mommy" smell on them. wink
But, for the most part, they allow the kids to play with them and are slowly bonding with them.
I feel that they can't help but bond with me more becasue I am the main caretaker, and the rule is....on school nights they rarely get to play with them becasue they get up so late and the kids need to go to bed at a decent hour.
So....that being said, they are still bonding to them well and they don;t see them as often.
I know that is a lot of info and I hope I didn't run on too much! smile

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #781010
05/18/09 09:13 PM
05/18/09 09:13 PM

A
AussieLove3
Unregistered
AussieLove3
Unregistered
A

Oh, I forgot to say that I have only had them about 6 weeks now...so we are still early on in the process. smile

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #781110
05/19/09 12:43 AM
05/19/09 12:43 AM

J
JoGirl
Unregistered
JoGirl
Unregistered
J

Thank you both! smile My kids are usually great with animals too.. other than the overly curious stuff that all kids seem to have with new animals/things...

My 4 yr old would be the one to scream bout them crawling on her.. she'd start yelling that there was a bug on her or something.. i'm sure.. at least til she got used to them.. lol.. the older 2 would likely be fine with them.. The baby of course would NOT be touching them! He likes to squeeze things TOO MUCH! My 5 yr old.. I never know how he will be with something til he sees it.. He loves the hedgies.. and plays pretty well with the cats and kittens around here..so we'll just have to see..

ANY other warnings anyone has would be appreciated!

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #781155
05/19/09 09:19 AM
05/19/09 09:19 AM

A
AussieLove3
Unregistered
AussieLove3
Unregistered
A

Your very welcome JoGirl, wink
I would also advise that when you do have them out with you in the beginning or with the kids, that you have them in like a bathroom, or tent or some other room in your house that has been glider proofed.
This makes it easier on you that if one of your children are holding them and they get scared and put them down or if the glider is able to jump away....then you don't have to worry about where your glider goes.
That is what we do. I have a large shower in my master bathroom and we will usually go in there and I am not stressed when my suggies want to crawl around or back and forth or even when they want to glide to one of the other girls. It is fun and takes the pressure off. LOL

If you are not stressed, then they will not be stressed either. smile

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #781157
05/19/09 09:34 AM
05/19/09 09:34 AM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
I don;t recommend sugar gliders as pets FOR children because it is far too easy for tehm to be injured or neglected... however, if the suggie belongs to an adult who closely supervises the glider's interactions with children, I think it is a blessing to the kids and the gliders. My little grandson checks his chest pocket on his overalls for "KOUT" (Scout) looking for his havorite of my gliders!

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: LabNGliderMom] #781206
05/19/09 12:00 PM
05/19/09 12:00 PM
Illinois
tlc_in_chitown Offline
Glider Explorer
tlc_in_chitown  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
I have four children. Two daughters ages 15 and 16 (my childern) and two step-sons ages 18 and 12. Although my children are much older than yours...there will be a point to this story. My sugar gliders go to any of them, but I am always the one to get them out and stay within arms reach at all times. It is the gliders choice to go to them or not and I am always close enough for them to come back to me. We recently let my step-son (12) come in the tent with us and one of our gliders did pinch his ear pretty good (left a mark). My step sons hand automatically flew to his ear, where I caught his hand (before he could hurt the glider), and quickly removed the glider from his shoulder. Children don't understand take the bite and don't have the self control to not react. This glider did not bite him aggressively, but they sometimes test or taste when they are around their people. Most often they "bite" when they are new or growing up (during their nippy phase). As adults, we learn their body language and see this coming. Children usually aren't that intuitive yet. This glider has never bit anyone else except him and is exposed to many different people. Maybe my step-son moves too fast around him or there was something about his scent?? Make sure you know your glider well enough before you let them around young children and be prepared to act quickly if something does happen.

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #781246
05/19/09 01:27 PM
05/19/09 01:27 PM

J
JoGirl
Unregistered
JoGirl
Unregistered
J

Thanks again! The gliders will be MY gliders. And I do not intend to get any gliders til the "hedgehog room" is finished. The room will have a door on it so the gliders will not be able to escape the room.. And I DO intend on getting a pop up tent of some sort.. (I liked the one Judy had at her house the other day!)

The kids, I am thinking, will be allowed to pet the gliders when "I" have them out.. but not play with them themselves.. at least not at first..

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #781248
05/19/09 01:31 PM
05/19/09 01:31 PM

A
AussieLove3
Unregistered
AussieLove3
Unregistered
A

Well said, tlcinchitown!
That is very true....I also made my little girl sit down when first holding one of our suggies. The first couple of times she held them their "claws" as she called them scratched her little skin on her neck and arms and she just about wanted to throw him away from her. However, like TLC said up above....I was right there, and calmed her down and got the little bugger before she reacted. She has since become my "best" suggies holder and we always make sure she is well covered (arms, neck etc.)before she holds them. Of course, they love that....there is lots of fabric on her to snuggle and hide in. wink (Like hoodies)

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #781265
05/19/09 02:12 PM
05/19/09 02:12 PM

N
Nurturingnest
Unregistered
Nurturingnest
Unregistered
N

I have 2 kids at home(a third is grown). My 4 year old loves to pet the "suggie glidas". But, she does not like them on her at all. Most kids don't like their nails. I usually have at least one of the fur babies with me at my preschool but I only let them pet. One of my 3 year olds got a face hug from Ollie. Not a pleaany experience. Enjoy bonding with your babies. Even my 19 year old is not big on more than an occassional tent time visit

Re: Suggies and kids... [Re: ] #781270
05/19/09 02:33 PM
05/19/09 02:33 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
My 15 yr old daughter is very good with them and has her little Selena who came oop on Valentines, very bonded to her. My 2 1/2 yr. old grandson always wants to help clean, feed and re-do the cages. He screams if we don't let him help! The other night we were feeding and Selena was out with my daughter and jumped over onto Nodin. I went to get her off of him & he just laughed & said "No, Gega!" (his name for me) He loved her climbing all over him and was very gentle with her, but he is the exception to the rule. I would never let him be with them unsupervised.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,163 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024