Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! #771575
04/28/09 08:35 AM
04/28/09 08:35 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
This past weekend, I traveled by car 668 miles from home for the TN Glider Expo with my daughter-in-law and 2 year old grandson. I have traveled long-distances my entire life, but have never had an emergency en route until this past weekend. My experience this weekend led me to realize how unprepared for an emergency I truly was, and how much we take for granted. This post is so that others can learn from my unpreparedness and can make proper preparations BEFORE leaving home. Be warned, this will be LONG!!! wink
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While traveling the first leg of my trip home on Sunday, we were going to Leigh/lab123's house for the night to get us 3 hours closer to home. That way, the trip on Monday would be that much shorter. Thankfully, Leigh and her 12 year old daughter Colby were in the car. I don't know what I would have done without them. (Thank you, thank you, thank you - Leigh & Colby! hug2 )
We were still about 2 hours from Leigh's house when my daughter-in-law had a sudden onset of horrible abdominal pain. Leigh drove us to the nearest emergency room and we were able to get Alicia help (I won't go into details about Alicia's emergency, but know that she will be fine!) This event taught us many things...
1) Know where any passengers in your car have their identification and insurance cards with them. Make sure those cards are in the passenger compartment of your car, not with all the luggage! Make sure the passengers know where your cards are.
2) Know what your passengers' emergency contact information is. Everyone should carry an up-to-date ICE (In Case of Emergency) card noting emergency contact information, any known allergies, current medications, medical conditions, etc. Make sure your passengers have these cards which should be kept next to their ID card. Make sure you have your own ICE card up-to-date also.
3) Make sure everyone knows the last names of all occupants in your car. We all know each other by our first names and GC usernames, but if you are at a hospital, the personnel will want to know the last name of the patient before they will give you any information about that patient.
4) Make sure there are bonding pouches for all sugar gliders in the car. Many of us carry our gliders in our bras or pockets - but they can't be there when in a hospital, nor can you leave them in the car. You need to have a secure place for all gliders - and you should have extra bonding pouches, "just in case". All pouches should be marked with the gliders' names so that the right gliders end up in the right pouch. Make a little bead chain using letter beads and attach it to the outside of the bonding pouch for easy identification. Know who is "packing gliders" and which ones are where on them.
5) Have a sign in the car that states "Sugar Gliders/Pets in Vehicle" with instructions for emergency personnel on basic glider care. Also, on where to find the gliders within the vehicle. Can you imagine being in an accident where everyone is unconscious and the gliders are left behind because the emergency personnel didn't know to look for them? Or their shock when they open your shirt and discover a fierce, scared animal in your bra or pocket?
6) Know who other glider owners are along your route. Make a list of their names and contact information so that you know who to call if there's an emergency along the way. Attach this list to the "Gliders on Board" sign so that emergency personnel can know who to contact to come get your gliders if you're incapacitated. Thankfully, TerieK, Chad, Sharon/Izzyandrileysmom & Gary all lived near where our emergency occurred. They all came to our aid and helped us in various ways with accommodating gliders, kids, etc. during this emergency. (Thank you, thank you, thank you, All! hug2 )
7) Start keeping a "black book" with information about your friends in the glider community. Keep their contact information, ICE information, etc. all in one place so that if you are together, you know what you need to if there is an emergency on the road or at the gathering location. You never know when an emergency is going to occur - shouldn't you know if your friend has a medical condition that needs special treatment? Don't you want to know who to contact if there is an emergency? Keep it all in one place and you will never be left wondering what to do for a particular friend...
8) If you are hosting a gathering, get ICE information on all attendees, either in advance or immediately upon their arrival.

PLEASE let your friends know about this thread. Direct them to read it and make sure you are prepared before you take to the road next time. We were left scrambling on many of these counts and it got us thinking... Learn from our experience and if you have something to add, please do thumb

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #771580
04/28/09 08:55 AM
04/28/09 08:55 AM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Wow Suz..I hope your daughter in law is doing ok!

Those are really good ideas you had! Maybe even coming up with lamenated "suggie" cards...with some basic care, maybe even our vet's #'s on them, or/and a contact persons #, if God forbid someone had to come to the scene of an accident, or in your case, an ER, they would be able to pick up and care for your gliders and get them somewhere safe.

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: ] #771586
04/28/09 09:07 AM
04/28/09 09:07 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Great idea, Stephanie! In fact, I was just PMing Karen/sugeebaby that I was going to come up with a standardized format for the ICE cards and include glider information on them. So... great minds think alike! roflmao

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #771592
04/28/09 09:26 AM
04/28/09 09:26 AM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
Glad all is ok now! Must have been scary to go thru! I have been working on a travel ER kit that I was going to introduce at the Michigan Gathering which will include emergency stickers for gliders/pets that may be "on board". Let me know if you could use any to go with the ICE cards.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: gliderma] #771593
04/28/09 09:30 AM
04/28/09 09:30 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Lynn, could you e-mail the sticker file to me? I'm interested in seeing what you have come up with wink
sugarglidersuz@yahoo.com

ETA: you do know that TGI already sells a travel ER kit, right?

Last edited by sugarglidersuz; 04/28/09 10:31 AM.

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #771616
04/28/09 11:12 AM
04/28/09 11:12 AM

L
lab123
Unregistered
lab123
Unregistered
L

Suz, I am gald Colby and I were there with you. I am glad everything worked out like it did. I am glad everyone came to our rescue, a million thank yous to them.

The only thing I can think of that might be added is #7 your little black book needs the owner's name on the OUTSIDE of it so it is easy to place back in it's owner's hands.

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: ] #771617
04/28/09 11:16 AM
04/28/09 11:16 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Excellent addition, Leigh thanks

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #771658
04/28/09 01:25 PM
04/28/09 01:25 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
What a wonderful idea Suz! I'm glad to hear that Alicia is doing OK!

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #771661
04/28/09 01:30 PM
04/28/09 01:30 PM

T
twoday87
Unregistered
twoday87
Unregistered
T

I am so happy that everyone will be alright. That sounds like a very scary experience.

These are wonderful precautions to take when you are traveling with friends, family, or pets. I think it is something taken for granted when you are traveling that everything will be just fine -no worries. Usually it is, but something can come up, so I am with you. It is best to be prepared!

I will use some of these next time I travel as well.

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #771664
04/28/09 01:35 PM
04/28/09 01:35 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
I cant think of anything else to add other than this is a great idea!

You just never know when something can come up when you might need something like this. Even for car trouble this is a wonderful thing to have on hand. Unfortunately car trouble can lead to a day or more stay somewhere your not familiar with, and to have that contact info for other glider people close by would be great to have.

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: Sherri] #771684
04/28/09 02:04 PM
04/28/09 02:04 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Yeah my hubby and my roomie are like computer illiterate 100 fold lol...so I have a list of glider owner #'s on my fridge w/ the vet #...in case of an emergency, if I'm not here, they are caring for my suggs, etc...so if they needed help, they have a list of people here they can call. But I never really took into account about travel and cars...until Suz told us what happened.

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: Sherri] #771897
04/28/09 08:43 PM
04/28/09 08:43 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Sherri
I cant think of anything else to add other than this is a great idea!

You just never know when something can come up when you might need something like this. Even for car trouble this is a wonderful thing to have on hand. Unfortunately car trouble can lead to a day or more stay somewhere your not familiar with, and to have that contact info for other glider people close by would be great to have.
Excellent point, Sherri, and one I hadn't thought of thumb

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #772262
04/29/09 03:13 PM
04/29/09 03:13 PM

K
khyricat
Unregistered
khyricat
Unregistered
K

I am so glad things worked out... and you are so right.. I am going to get the sugar glider on board signs I put together for the SGGA that we never finished (too expensive to print for goodie bags back then, and they wanted 500 minimum orders) and get them to Shelly as we discussed this weekend- she's going to look into getting them made as a TGI item for sale, maybe we need to add a spot on them for someone to add personal information... or some emergency #'s that will be on every one (like the main # for TGI.)

Amie

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: ] #772292
04/29/09 04:22 PM
04/29/09 04:22 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
Mine is more a travel kit, not so much emergency and I have talked to Karen who will check it out at the Michigan Gathering. The stickers are being made as we speak and I will send them along as soon as I have them. Let me know if you guys need someone to make up the suggie on board signs. I have a friend who does my business signs and I have referred several jobs to them, so they give me great deals! They can do them in almost any type material (fabric, canvas, plastic, etc).

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: gliderma] #772511
04/29/09 10:06 PM
04/29/09 10:06 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
off_topic
Originally Posted By: gliderma
Mine is more a travel kit, not so much emergency ...

Lynn, I know it has already been mentioned that TGI has e-kits for sale, but Tinkerbell's mom already makes a travel kit. It's called "Glider on the Go Kit". (In addition, Suz makes a Rejected Joey Pouchee Kit.) This is already being made and offered for sale to the glider community. I hope this link works:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...e_Go_Kit#UNREAD

It's a common practice and courtesy in the glider community to not copy/duplicate someone else's product. I don't think that was your intention, so I thought I'd give you a head's up! smile

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #773258
05/01/09 01:16 PM
05/01/09 01:16 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Bumping to the top to make sure everyone sees this thumb

You may want to start a group PM with your friends asking them for their emergency information...

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #775122
05/05/09 07:18 AM
05/05/09 07:18 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
jump BUMP again jump

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #775127
05/05/09 07:27 AM
05/05/09 07:27 AM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
Hi Shelly! I had the travel kit in the works for quite some time now and was going to introduce it at the Michigan Gathering, but tinkerbellesmom beat me to it! I know about the TGI ER kit and do have one myself as a TGI member. I have spoken to Karen about this and she will be checking on my kit at the Gathering. If they are too similar, the items will be donated to TGI to be incorporated into their kits. Thank you for the heads up!

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: gliderma] #781963
05/21/09 07:28 AM
05/21/09 07:28 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Happy Memorial Day everyone!
With the holiday weekend coming up and lots of people about to travel, I thought it would be a good idea to bump this back to the top thumb

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugarglidersuz] #781966
05/21/09 07:56 AM
05/21/09 07:56 AM
Dayton, Ohio
C
CharmedSuggies Offline
Glider Addict
CharmedSuggies  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Dayton, Ohio
Suz, so glad you all made it alright! Great tips on being prepared.

If someone comes up with the 'suggies on board' sign, I know I will definitely be buing one. I have some people listed under the 'networking' thread but need to get emergency contact info and find the best way to format it on paper!

Anyone who is traveling for the Memorial Day weekend, please be careful and safe. Don't forget Suz's tips and BE PREPARED!!

Melissa & Aaron

Brat Pack
Roxy, Eddie, Lily :bb:

Crabby Crew
Brutus Theodore, Hugo Bug, Lulu :wfb: :leu:

Akeesha, Orion & Niko :rtmo:

SFS
Bella Belle mlove

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: CharmedSuggies] #782771
05/22/09 07:55 PM
05/22/09 07:55 PM
Michigan
S
sugeebaby Offline
Glider Slave
sugeebaby  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Michigan
I now have ICE cards that you can download and print off. They are great to have at your gatherings and to keep in your purse with you.
They have your personal medical info as well as your glider info.
Anyone needing them please email me and I will send you the file that you can print out. They are double sided and 4 cards to a page.
kmilas@gmail.com

Karen
President of The Glider Initiative
:bb: The Glider Crue :grey:

The Pampered Glider

The Glider Initiative
Have you educated someone today?

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: sugeebaby] #782970
05/23/09 07:16 AM
05/23/09 07:16 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Karen, Thank you for taking the time to make these up hug2 I meant to and just never had the time to do it ohwell

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: CharmedSuggies] #782973
05/23/09 07:48 AM
05/23/09 07:48 AM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
Originally Posted By: CharmedSuggies
Suz, so glad you all made it alright! Great tips on being prepared.

If someone comes up with the 'suggies on board' sign, I know I will definitely be buing one. I have some people listed under the 'networking' thread but need to get emergency contact info and find the best way to format it on paper!

Anyone who is traveling for the Memorial Day weekend, please be careful and safe. Don't forget Suz's tips and BE PREPARED!!

I do have a "suggies on board" sign in the works right now! I will post as soon as they are done & give them to anyone at my cost, so watch for it over the next week.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: gliderma] #783052
05/23/09 01:10 PM
05/23/09 01:10 PM

T
Tinkerbellesmomm
Unregistered
Tinkerbellesmomm
Unregistered
T

sugeebaby you did a awesome job on these thank you so very much!

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: ] #786512
05/30/09 09:01 PM
05/30/09 09:01 PM

T
Tinkerbellesmomm
Unregistered
Tinkerbellesmomm
Unregistered
T

Someone had said having pictures of each of your babies. I got to thinking and I ordered the key chains that you put pictures. Each key chain will have a picture of the glider and on back the gliders info and cagemates. I ordered enough to put on travels cages,vet visit cages and everyday cages. Thought I would share if anyone else needed a idea. I got the from Oriental trading for a good price too.

Re: Travel Emergency Preparedness!!! [Re: ] #786514
05/30/09 09:03 PM
05/30/09 09:03 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Coeli, that is a BRILLIANT idea! I'm going to do that and put them on my bonding pouches, too thumb

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024