Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Diatomaceous Earth... #785040
05/27/09 04:04 PM
05/27/09 04:04 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

I have recently brought home 12 chickens. And while doing research on the best ways to keep them healthy, I came across numerous articles on DE (diatomaceous earth).

Food grade DE is used for horses, cows, goats, chickens, dogs, puppies, cats, kittens, about all farm livestock and yes, even humans to eleminate parasites.

DE is the fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is 100% natural and has some amazing properties to it.

It dries out the parasites, internal and external in warm blooded animals without causing any harm to the animal. (can be harmful to the eyes if direct contact because it is a drying agent).

Added as a food suppliment, it kills almost every internal parasite (such as GIARDIA, Hook worms, tape worms, etc) and it is NOT a chemical (such as the meds we give to treat these parasites) so the bugs don't build up a resistance to it and it doesn't have the nasty side effects that the chemicals can have. Used externally, it kills fleas, ticks, mites, and lice (probably other things too). It is used in chicken coops mixed in with the bedding to control odor from their poop, helps to keep their bedding dry (preventing mold) and helps prevent fly problems. I don't use bedding with my glider's cages though so don't think that would help.

While I don't know of anyone that has used this with gliders, I have to wonder if this would be as beneficial to gliders as it seems to be with all other warm blooded animals.

I would LOVE for others to do some research on this and give some feedback. With all the sites I've read, I'm just not seeing any negatives with the DE. But I am seeing a ton of health benefits.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Dancing] #785060
05/27/09 04:53 PM
05/27/09 04:53 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
VERY interesting, T - I wonder if anyone has any experience with using DE for gliders dunno

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: sugarglidersuz] #785067
05/27/09 05:02 PM
05/27/09 05:02 PM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

From what I've read, it looks like if no one has tried this it would be REALLY worth looking in to.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: DeeDancer] #785069
05/27/09 05:03 PM
05/27/09 05:03 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I think I remember someone here posting they used it to get rid of sugar ants last summer.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: SugareeErin] #785073
05/27/09 05:10 PM
05/27/09 05:10 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
There are alot of holistic vets. Perhaps you could google them and see if any treat exotic pets. If you give them a call they might have an answer for you or could at least look into it. wink

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Guerita135] #785079
05/27/09 05:16 PM
05/27/09 05:16 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I know DE has been discussed on GC as far as getting rid of pests in the house (like fleas and ants). But have never heard of it being used internally with gliders. dunno

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Guerita135] #785080
05/27/09 05:17 PM
05/27/09 05:17 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
My vet Dr. Ness at Ness Exotic Wellness Center does holistic care smile They are listed in the vet database.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: sugarlope] #785094
05/27/09 05:51 PM
05/27/09 05:51 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I found this under the 'Cautions' on this page;
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/diatearth.htm
Quote:
Do NOT give to very small pregnant animals such as cats, guinea pigs, etc. and do NOT feed continually to babies or small animals such as cats, hamsters, etc. DE can be fed on a continuous basis to larger animals and livestock for continuous parasite control and mineralization.

So it would not be something that should be used in breeding females, and should not be used continuously. dunno

I would be interested to know what vets would say about this in gliders (my vet is out of town or I would ask her).

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: sugarlope] #785102
05/27/09 06:16 PM
05/27/09 06:16 PM

B
bdeese
Unregistered
bdeese
Unregistered
B

Im curious to this too but donot have a holisitics vet nearby.

Keep me updated!

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: ] #786317
05/30/09 10:24 AM
05/30/09 10:24 AM

L
lab123
Unregistered
lab123
Unregistered
L

Denise just told me about DE and I have been doing some research. What other positive and negative things are others finding? I am extremely interested in learning if this will help our sweet little fuzzies.

Dancing, Thank you for everything that you do to make our fuzzies lives better and longer. You are an amazing one and I am proud to call you friend.

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: ] #786385
05/30/09 01:24 PM
05/30/09 01:24 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
From what I've found, there seems to be a low risk of problems (except inhaled, or to the eyes, as Dancing stated above). dunno

~Gretchen

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: sugarlope] #786435
05/30/09 04:52 PM
05/30/09 04:52 PM
Dallas, TX
sandbat Offline
Glider Guardian
sandbat  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dallas, TX
I could ask Dr. Murray on Monday. I wonder what Dr. Tristan would have to say about this? With all of my bug problems, this sounds like just the thing, even if it is not fed to the gliders. Something safe that I can use around them that does not contain pesticides would be a Godsend.

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: sandbat] #786500
05/30/09 08:14 PM
05/30/09 08:14 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
The anatomy of a glider's digestive system is very different from most animals. I would be very hesitant to feed DE powder to them, There could also be a drying effect in the gut causing constipation or even possible an impaction which in a glider could be fatal.

Unless someone's vet can actually show us documentation that it would be safe to give to a glider - through some published research on its side effects - I would not risk the life of my gliders.

DE Powder works great in my POOL FILTER however.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: CandyOtte] #786515
05/30/09 09:18 PM
05/30/09 09:18 PM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

The human food grade DE is MUCH different than what a person uses in their pool filter. What is used in the pool filters CAN be fatal to animals as it has been heat treated to create a crystaline form (glass).

Please share with us where you found that it could be drying to the gut, cause constipation or impaction. I've not seen that on any of the many websites I've visited.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Dancing] #786516
05/30/09 09:21 PM
05/30/09 09:21 PM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Also, much of what IS given in the form of "medicines" to gliders has had NO research done on it either except through trial and error on sick gliders. There had to be a first glider to get baytril, metacam (which we KNOW causes liver damage but is still given to gliders) etc...

620-704-9109

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Dancing] #786545
05/30/09 10:15 PM
05/30/09 10:15 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I asked Dancing to get a 5# bag of this stuff for ME. I have a cat who has serious reactions to any of the chemical flea repellants (Revolution, Frontline, Hartz, etc) and it doesn't seem to be killing off the fleas very well either.

This morning I put the first sprinkling of DE in everyone's breakfast & served it up (still talking CATS here people). Nobody turned their noses up to it.

My vet, unfortunately, wasn't in today...and I seriously fear that I have a parasite issue in my glider family...but here's another interesting fact from one of the websites on DE: "Fecal smears are only TWENTY PERCENT accurate" (let me crunch that into numbers for y'all: 2 out of 10 chances that you'll detect a FATAL parasite in your glider's poo...EIGHT OUT OF TEN that you WON'T!!! Now how good of odds are those? NOT GOOD ENOUGH is my answer!!) My poor little Mambo was FULL OF THEM and the vet didn't see them in TWO DIFFERENT FECAL EXAMS! Oh yeah, they were "numerous" and the damage they had done was quite visible after he DIED!! We need to get AHEAD of this train of death, not be trying to catch up with it an hour after it left the station!

Yes, I'm going to do my dutiful glider-owner thing & take a sample from one of the "M Family" into the vet's office on Monday morning...but THAT ONE glider is also going to get a PINCH of DE for a week, then THAT GLIDER will get a second fecal taken in for a re-check. Let's see what the microscope finds...

I also tried a "dab" of DE powder on my finger...it has a texture like corn starch & NO FLAVOR at all. (It's safe for HUMAN consumption too.)

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: minkasmom] #786572
05/30/09 11:50 PM
05/30/09 11:50 PM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Denise, you are very brave to try this with your glider. Please do keep us updated on the results of the fecals, I am interested in how well the DE does.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: DeeDancer] #786601
05/31/09 12:51 AM
05/31/09 12:51 AM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Denise, I'm have my concerns about giving it to gliders like I'm sure everyone does. The "bug" that took Mambo is such a nasty one (trichomonas) and is so very hard to get rid of. Peeper went through MONTHS of cleaning and sanitizing and meds for her gliders. Sadly she lost Peeper in the process. The DE is supposed to kill off the giardia so maybe, just maybe this is the chemical free answer to trichs.

Don't do anything with your gliders and the DE until you talk to your vet about it. Make sure you discuss all options and info you have about it with the vet. While we need to stop the death train, we don't need to be adding in stations either.

Please let us know what the vet has to say.

The dogs, horses, chickens and even me are all starting on the DE tomorrow.

620-704-9109

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Dancing] #786658
05/31/09 06:30 AM
05/31/09 06:30 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: minkasmom
My vet, unfortunately, wasn't in today...and I seriously fear that I have a parasite issue in my glider family...
...My poor little Mambo was FULL OF THEM and the vet didn't see them in TWO DIFFERENT FECAL EXAMS! Oh yeah, they were "numerous" and the damage they had done was quite visible after he DIED!! We need to get AHEAD of this train of death, not be trying to catch up with it an hour after it left the station!
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Denise, I'm have my concerns about giving it to gliders like I'm sure everyone does. The "bug" that took Mambo is such a nasty one (trichomonas) and is so very hard to get rid of. Peeper went through MONTHS of cleaning and sanitizing and meds for her gliders. Sadly she lost Peeper in the process. The DE is supposed to kill off the giardia so maybe, just maybe this is the chemical free answer to trichs.
Denise, if you look at the copy of Mambo's histopathy results that I e-mailed to you, you will see that there are actually TWO possibilities for the type of parasite Mambo had: 1) trichomonads 2) Hexamita. Please make sure you print out Mambo's histopathy results when you take the one member of the M-crew into the vet's for testing so your vet can read the full report.
Originally Posted By: minkasmom
here's another interesting fact from one of the websites on DE: "Fecal smears are only TWENTY PERCENT accurate" (let me crunch that into numbers for y'all: 2 out of 10 chances that you'll detect a FATAL parasite in your glider's poo...EIGHT OUT OF TEN that you WON'T!!!
Also, I asked my vet about this and the fact that although Mambo had been tested twice - once in-house at her office and once by an outside lab - the results had come back negative. She told me there is a much better test that can be used when looking for giardia-type organisms (of which trichomonads is a very virulent type) - it is called zinc centrifugation. She didn't say how MUCH more accurate it is though. I have ordered it for both Pepe & Bittah, whose cage was just 6" from Mambo's while he was with me because I was going to introduce him to them.

Another interesting, vital point to keep in mind about Mambo came from correspondance with my vet, as well:
Originally Posted By: e-mail from Dr. West dated 5/28/09
Sometimes, however, these organisms are not always being shed (fecal tests might be negative but the animal still might have a parasite) In Mambo's case, these organisms were found mainly within the walls/glands of the intestine, and may not necessarily have been shed in large numbers in the fecal material.
So, in conclusion here, I agree with Teresa: Don't just automatically start your M-crew (even just one member) on the DE until you've discussed all of this thoroughly with your vet. Remember, we don't know WHERE along the way Mambo picked up the parasites during his brief life here on earth. It could have been at your house; it could have been at Leigh's while she had him; or, could have been after he came to my house... That is one of the reasons I am getting Pepe & Bittah tested...

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: sugarglidersuz] #786669
05/31/09 07:42 AM
05/31/09 07:42 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I am very interested in this DE thing as well. On another thread I had asked about yucca powder. some of the research I did on it said it has some "cleansing" properties to the body and has been used to treat some parasitic infections, such as giardia. will try to locate the sites where I read that.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: JillMarie] #786674
05/31/09 08:30 AM
05/31/09 08:30 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey

^website link wink

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: JillMarie] #786675
05/31/09 08:34 AM
05/31/09 08:34 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/yucca-plant-extract.php
note it mentions "reduction in atmospheric ammonia in confinement animal and poultry facilities, anti-protozoal and nematocidal activity, modification of ruminal microbe populations"
http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/yucca-plant-extract-anti-inflammatory-and-anti-arthritic-effects.php
note"Saponins are also effective anti-protozoal agents. Yucca saponins are as effective as metronidazole in killing giardia tropozoites in the intestine [14]. Thus, if the protozoal theory of causation of arthritis has any merit, a role of yucca in arthritis treatment can be advanced on the basis of the anti-protozoal activity of yucca saponins"

^website link wink

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: JillMarie] #786704
05/31/09 10:33 AM
05/31/09 10:33 AM

V
Vickirs
Unregistered
Vickirs
Unregistered
V

I bought two 5 lb bags to use with my skunks. The skunk people swear by it, saying it gets rid of fleas and can be used as a wormer but they say great care has to be taken that it's not inhaled by people or animals. I've used it in the skunks food and they don't seem to notice - like Denise says though, I'm really disappointed because it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all to get rid of fleas ON the skunks (which is the biggest reason I bought it). Don't know how it would work on something as small as suggies.

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: ] #786708
05/31/09 10:49 AM
05/31/09 10:49 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Vickirs
I bought two 5 lb bags to use with my skunks. ... - like Denise says though, I'm really disappointed because it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all to get rid of fleas ON the skunks (which is the biggest reason I bought it).

Don't you do a light dusting on the exterior of the animal for exterior parasites, being careful not to get it on their face (eyes & nose)? Sometimes internal dosages do not take care of external parasites. dunno dunno

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: GliderNursery] #786736
05/31/09 11:59 AM
05/31/09 11:59 AM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
This is an interesting topic. I have been thinking of some type of routine parasite prevention for my gliders. I am not comfortable with the DE for my babies as I can find no studies on the longterm effects of DE to very small animals.

I do however wonder what are the chances that I will happen to pick the right day to have my gliders fecals checked.

I have fecals checked twice a year. My vet uses the standard fecal float & smear not the "super fecal" so I think that with the potential for the fecal to not catch a bug due to it being inferior to the super & the chance that I chose a non-shedding day to test. I have real good chances of never catching a parasite.

Suz, I looked up some on the Zinc Sulfate Centrifugation and it still calls for several tests over several days & then still has about 70-93% success at finding the parasites.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/courses_vm546/...trifugation.htm

How is your vet advising you to test? How many & over what period?

Have you discussed the option of preventive treatment with your vet? If so what are their thoughts on this?

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Trigger] #786825
05/31/09 02:43 PM
05/31/09 02:43 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
What I read on it, was that DE should be used in small animals no more than 10 days at a time (10 days on, 10 days off, and for 90 days in full).

And what I read regarding external fleas was that you have to put the powder on the animal's coat to kill the fleas. Internal and external use is for two different reasons. Externally, DE is supposed to treat fleas, ticks, lice and other external parasites. Internally it may help treat internal parasites, has detox properties, trace minerals, may help with digestion, and may reduce the occurrence of coprophagia as well.

This is what I found on this website - http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html
Quote:
Food grade diatomaceous earth has not been found to cause any insult to the mucosa or barrier wall.

From the same website, here are the cautions it lists;
Quote:
CAUTIONS:

· DE manufacturers who work in diatomaceous earth mines 5 days/week advise inhaling it is not a problem (tho of course, don't be snuffing it) and we have not had problems when inhaling DE in small amounts. IF you have asthma or some other lung ailment, either wear a mask or be very careful when using food grade diatomaceous earth.
· Do NOT get diatomaceous earth in the eyes. DE is drying to the eyes, so do NOT put it out when you or your pets are down wind of it. DE is drying to your skin, hands, and feet, just as it can be to your pets.
· Do NOT use heavily in carpet. Some advise too much DE causes vacuum problems.
· NEVER use pool filter grade or any diatomaceous earth other than those labeled "Food Grade" for yourself or your animals. It can poison or kill them.
· Some people experience a healing crisis (detox reaction) when beginning DE consumption. If this occurs, reduce the dose, till your body is cleansed, and then increase to the RDA.
· Remember, DE will kill beneficial insects as well, so don't put it on your flowers where the honey bees go and use wisely.

~Gretchen

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Trigger] #786856
05/31/09 03:53 PM
05/31/09 03:53 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
You may think it is OK to experiment with DE Powder on your gliders but I think the risk is entirely too high given the little knowledge we have on the glider's unique digestive system. The glider's digestive system is entirely different from that of a cat, dog or human.

I located a recent article which comments on the unique anatomy of the digestive system of sugar gliders. It also comments on the fact that additional research is needed on the role of beneficial microbes in the gut of sugar gliders, which appear to be required by gliders to digest complex carbohydrates.

Dierenfield, Ellen S., PhD.CNS, Feeding Behavior and Nutrition of the Sugar Glider, Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice. Vol 12 Issue 2, (May 2009) pages 209-215

(Pg 211) Digestive Physiology: Anatomically, sugar gliders, unlike other arboreal possums but similar to other mammalian gumivores, have an enlarged cecum well-suited for microbial fermentation of complex dietary carbohydrates, such as gums. However, this assumption has not yet been investigated experimentally.

(Pg 214) One area in which further investigation is recommended is on the Sugar glider’s ability to ferment soluble fiber (gum) should be investigated. Their gastrointestinal tract anatomy suggests that they have a large capacity to harbor beneficial microbial populations, and their feeding ecology is heavily dependent on ingestion of plant gums to meet energy needs.

I would have to wonder if feeding DE Powder to a glider might have an effect on the beneficial microbial population as well as killing potential parasites. I still wonder if its drying effect might have adverse effects on the glider's overall digestion and cause difficulties in the passage of stool through their system. I think giving anything like this without any evidence that it is SAFE to give to gliders is just too risky especially if you are expecting to be able to give this on a routine basis as a preventative against parasites.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: CandyOtte] #786866
05/31/09 04:19 PM
05/31/09 04:19 PM

N
Nurturingnest
Unregistered
Nurturingnest
Unregistered
N

I used DE when I lived in Vegas. It kept he roaches and black widows down. I never used it for fleas though. I'm gonna try this week. In layman's terms DE is crushed shell. It cuts the exoskeleton and the bugs dehydrate. I would be VERY careful when applying externally. It is dangerous when inhaled. Like inhaling tiny glass shards.

Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: ] #786873
05/31/09 04:59 PM
05/31/09 04:59 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Originally Posted By: Nurturingnest
I used DE when I lived in Vegas. It kept he roaches and black widows down. I never used it for fleas though. I'm gonna try this week. In layman's terms DE is crushed shell. It cuts the exoskeleton and the bugs dehydrate. I would be VERY careful when applying externally. It is dangerous when inhaled. Like inhaling tiny glass shards.

Then is it not like feeding the gliders little glass shards? Maybe not as damaging as to the lungs but wouldn't it be capapable of harming the digestive system as well?

Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Diatomaceous Earth... [Re: Trigger] #786875
05/31/09 05:00 PM
05/31/09 05:00 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Candy I also worry that while killing the harmful it will be knocking out the beneficial flora. What effect will this have on the gliders?

www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 337 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,575 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,161 UTAH
321,685 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024