Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
National Sugar Glider Registry and Association #797745
06/23/09 12:17 PM
06/23/09 12:17 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Myself and the steering committee of the National Sugar Glider Registry and Association believe that the Sugar Glider community has grown to a point that would highly benefit from a national registry. The registry would permanently record your name and your glider in history and establish a record of lineages, pedigrees, breeders, rescuers, owners, and affiliates for the Sugar Glider Community.

The National Sugar Glider Registry would be the first nationally recognized and recognized avenue for Sugar Glider Owners and breeders to register their Sugar Gliders in an effort to begin the establishment of lineage and eventually pedigree (that will deal with specific color variations) of Sugar Gliders bred in America.

So what can you do to contribute?

Charter Members
will comprise the Registry's core membership and we will be accepting applicants at this year's SGGA. Alternatively, you can still become a charter member simply by e-mailing me to receive the application form but keep in mind that we will only be taking Charter Members for a limited amount of time.

For a small registration fee ($25), you would be helping to found the National Sugar Glider Registry and Association (NSGR, NSGRA) and your name would become a permanent part of our records.

By joining as a charter member, you are showing your support of a National Registry and also expressing your opinion that there is a need for recording lineages and pedigrees of Sugar Gliders in America. In recognition of your early support in this effort, once the NSGR officially begins taking requests for glider registration, you would be eligible to request a Charter Member Certificate and will receive 10% off of all other fees.

Note: With their non-refundable contribution, Charter Members are supporting the foundations of a National Registry. Without continued support and effort on our part and that of the community, the NSGR will not be able to come to fruition.

The National Sugar Glider Registry Association (NSGRA) is how the Glider Community will become the crucial aspect to the Registry.

The NSGRA is a committee of devoted glider enthusiasts who will be willing to undertake such tasks as:

-Establishing color standards
-Governing and Enforcing the rules and standards of the Registry, its Lineages and Pedigrees
-Moderating the Registry-related Forums on the Website
-Meeting at least once a year for an annual review and to plan for the upcoming year
-Spearheading and supporting other important glider-related endeavors such as informational campaigns

The NSGRA is the authority that will verify and uphold the Registry, therefore the committee will be comprised of knowledgeable and experienced individuals that are respected by the glider community.

The Registry itself provides for every type of glider and glider owner, breeder, rescuer, and affiliate. More information about the Registry will be on the website which we will have up and running shortly.

Here are just a few examples of what the Registry will provide:

-An online, searchable database
-Yearly memberships that award special privileges
-Registered numbers for each individual glider
-breeder, and Rescuer registration numbers that are incorporated permanently in each glider's registration number
-Owner, breeder, Rescuer, and Affiliate Certificates
-Pet only registration with or without lineage and pedigree

My family and I have been working on this for quite some time now. We will be a vendor at the SGGA, but we wanted to get the word out now to answer any questions/concerns that you might have. We also would like you to contact us (PM or e-mail me meghanrwolfgram@gmail.com) if you are interested in becoming a representative of the NSGRA.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #797818
06/23/09 02:58 PM
06/23/09 02:58 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
How will you become nationally accredited?

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Guerita135] #797850
06/23/09 03:47 PM
06/23/09 03:47 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
It will be more nationally recognized instead of accredited.

thanks for your observation, here is what we were trying to get at by using the word accredited:

The NSGRA will become the authority that gives credibility to the information in the Registry. One of the NSGRA Committee's most important jobs will be to verify the information that is going into the registry and correct any mistakes and/or falsifications.

I will be correcting my original post.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #797857
06/23/09 04:04 PM
06/23/09 04:04 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Will you be obtaining a 501c3 non profit status? Have you established yet what the "fees" will be?

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Dancing] #797909
06/23/09 05:20 PM
06/23/09 05:20 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
We will not be applying for non profit status at this time. The NSGRA committee (when established) can choose to apply for non-profit if they see fit.

We have not yet established the fees, but we will do that soon and would like the community to know that they will be extremely reasonable.

We have decided that any person or organization that registers as a "Rescue" will not have to pay ANY membership/glider registry fees. "Rescue" membership will be subject to approval by the NSGRA Comittee.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #797920
06/23/09 05:52 PM
06/23/09 05:52 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Sooo...it won't actually be accredited, but rather a self-proclaimed registry?

If it was accredited, like with the national dog/cat registries, then I'm sure you'd have alot more interested, but, as it is, there are 2 other databases that are free to use, so I can't imagine that very many people would be interested in paying money to register their gliders when databases are available for free.

Know what I mean?

Also, with only a little bit of searching, you can easily look up and verify the lineages of most gliders. wink

I think the idea of having an entirely accurate database is an awesome idea and should definitely be done, but I think that requiring a fee might be a bit much if the database wouldn't really be offering much more then the other databases already are offering.

You should speak with the people who run the national registries for other animal species and try and find out how you might be able to get national recognition and be able to get accredited so that there will actually be some validation behind the registry so that people will be able to put more trust in it and would be willing to pay to have their gliders entered.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Guerita135] #797950
06/23/09 07:12 PM
06/23/09 07:12 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
"Accredit" is defined as:

To give official authorization to or approval of: a: to provide with credentials ; especially : to send (an envoy) with letters of authorization b: to recognize or vouch for as conforming with a standard c: to recognize (an educational institution) as maintaining standards that qualify the graduates for admission to higher or more specialized institutions or for professional practice.

The NSGR will be structured just like the AKC is. The NSGRA is similar in function to the AKC-accredited Kennel Clubs. The Clubs set the breed standards just as the Association will set the color standards.

Accreditation is based on credible merit determined by an association. It means that the information provided is credible, based on standards that are set and defined by the association.

*PLEASE NOTE*

The NSGR and the NSGRA are TWO separate entities.

The NSGR (like the AKC) is the registry that records the lineages and pedigrees, and issues registration numbers.

The NSGRA (like the individual Kennel Clubs) is the entity that sets and enforces the standards.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #797953
06/23/09 07:23 PM
06/23/09 07:23 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Will the fees be per glider, or ?
I assume there will be separate fees for both, correct?

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: sugarlope] #797961
06/23/09 07:40 PM
06/23/09 07:40 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Will the fees be per glider, or ?
-The fees have not been determined yet. This is a question that we have been asking ourselves since we realize that there are individuals with many gliders and that a high fee would be unreasonable. Will there be registry fees for gliders? YES Have we figured out how it will apply yet? NO

I assume there will be separate fees for both, correct?
-I am not sure what you mean by "Both".

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #797985
06/23/09 08:41 PM
06/23/09 08:41 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
In the AKC, you pay a fee to register your dog and get a pedigree. When you have a litter, you have papers on them and give them to the buyers, who then pay to register that puppy. As far as a breeder, there could be a fee to register the breeding pairs and when joeys are born, a certificate could be issued which would go along to the new owner who could then register the joey. The certificate would include the parents, the color & the oop date. When the joey is registered, there could be an option to obtain the lineage (pedigree) for an additional fee. People do it all the time for dogs, cats, horses, etc, so why not gliders? I would love to have something I can trust to know the proper lineage on all of my gliders. Most of the breeders have been very helpful to me in providing this, but I know there are some others that may not be.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #797986
06/23/09 08:43 PM
06/23/09 08:43 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
As said before, we do NOT want to set fees until we have come to a fair way to accommodate both the small and large breeders. Since there are already established breeders with multiple breeding pairs, we want to allow for these breeders to register every one of their breeding gliders without incurring a registration fee for every individual glider.

We are considering allowing breeders to register as many breeding gliders as they currently own without incurring fees per glider. To address the costs of entering every one of these gliders in the Registry, the breeders will pay a flat fee when registering based on the number of breeding pairs they own.

NOTE: If the breeder buys additional gliders at a later time, they will have to pay the normal registration fee that is yet to be determined.

Our question for you is:

In your opinion, what would be a fair breakdown of categories of breeders??

For Example:
Small 1-3 (pairs)
Medium 4-14
Large 15-25
Giant 25-50
Extra 50+ with the fee increasing for every additional 10 pairs

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798001
06/23/09 09:09 PM
06/23/09 09:09 PM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas
Honestly I would use free database, where do the moneys earned go?

Cathy Hart

Support Aspergers and Autism Research, help put the pieces together.
www.hartlandsugargliders.com
cathyhart2texas@yahoo.com
469-964-4152
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798011
06/23/09 09:19 PM
06/23/09 09:19 PM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
well, I am all for a registry- HOWEVER I feel that in today's economy, it will be difficult for some breeders and rescue homes and even just pet owners like myself to add their gliders to the registry on a per-glider fee basis.

I believe that when this starts up, those who add their gliders should pay differently than future owners... for instance, a personal pet owner with 6 gliders wouldn't pay $25 each to register them all, but a set fee based on the number of gliders being registered. Same goes for breeders and rescue homes- the higher the number of gliders all being registered together, the lower the fee.

Then, as time goes by, breeders will be able to provide a pedigree and a "litter certificate" (so to speak) to the new owners of joeys they sell... those joey's new owners can then pay a fee (again based on the number of joeys purchased) to register their joeys.

I am a member of the AKC. My dogs are both registered and I paid $25 to register my male and name him when I aquired him as a puppy. He had already been assigned a registration number by the litter owners when they registered his birth. Later, when I got my female, she was already a registered adult, so I paid another $25 to have her registration changed to my name as the owner, but the AKC registration number and the name recorded by the original registered owner never changed, of course. When I have puppies born, I pay a single $25 fee to the AKC and they send me a registration paper for every puppy in the litter no matter how few or how many there are... assigning each a number that will never change but not a name. When the new owners take posession of the puppy, I record their name, address, and phone number on a breeder record that gets sent to the AKC at no charge to me. The new owner gets a paper I signed that they fill out their chosen name for the new puppy on, along with their name, address, and phone number. They send in their certificate with $25 and get back a 3 generation pedigree chart and a registration certificate OR they pay $45 and get the registration certificate and a 5 generation pedigree chart on prettier paper that is suitable for framing. The reason both the new owner and i send the new owner's info in for that puppy is so if the new owner does not register the puppy in a timely manner, the AKC can contact them directly to ask them to register their puppy, instead of me... AND it provides proof to the AKC that the breeder agrees that the person sending the registration request IS who I sold the puppy to.

The registration paper the new owner gets has a transfer option on the back side. That way, if the puppy ever gets sold again, the certificate gets sent back to the AKC with the original purchaser's signature AND the info for the NEW owners, along with ANOTHER $25 fee. The NEW owners do NOT get to change the NAME of the animal that is registered, but DO get to call it whatever they want at home, of course... and the registration number never changes... sending the old certificate allows the AKC to verify the info and create a new certificate for the new owners with their info on it, but the same registration number and origianl name to make record keeping easier. All new certificates have the transfer option ont he back so no matter how many times the dog changes hands the AKC can keep track as long as the paperwork is sent to them.

As the breeder, if I keep a puppy, I send in the paperwork myself stating that I the breeder am retaining the animal for myself and I then I have to pay the $25 registration fee myself.

There is also an option on the certificates to put the "kennel" name in the puppy's name. FOr instance, my male get called Claude at home, but his registered name is "Hammock Haven's Big Boy". Any puppy that comes from my home, with the new owner's agreement, can be named "Hammock Haven's <FILL IN THE BLANK HERE>" which then ALWAYS shows WHERE the animal originated.

Last edited by LabNGliderMom; 06/23/09 09:21 PM.

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798013
06/23/09 09:20 PM
06/23/09 09:20 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: oakley
The NSGR and the NSGRA are TWO separate entities.

That's the both I was asking about. wink

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: sugarlope] #798019
06/23/09 09:30 PM
06/23/09 09:30 PM
Jupiter, Florida
SugaWhit Offline
Glider Guardian
SugaWhit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Jupiter, Florida
I was just asking on another part of this forum why don't gliders have a reg?-
I think you will have to tread carefully, and watch every penny that comes in accounting wise, as these kinds of things can be a huge SNAFU when it comes to taxes etc.

I'll be avidly watching, and depending, supporting as well.
I strongly believe in reg. animals, and support my breed reg that I belong too.
Whitney

Mom to (heaven help me!) Three pairs of wonderful Glider kids-
Nero :rtmo:
Cupid a :cream: & Ceres :rtmo: +1 boy oop
Warbuck :plat: & Lysia :rtmo: & Clarissa with Twins oop each!
http://palmbeachgliders.webs.com/
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: LabNGliderMom] #798048
06/23/09 10:30 PM
06/23/09 10:30 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: LabNGliderMom
well, I am all for a registry- HOWEVER I feel that in today's economy, it will be difficult for some breeders and rescue homes and even just pet owners like myself to add their gliders to the registry on a per-glider fee basis.

-Just to reiterate, Rescue homes will NOT pay any fees for registering gliders. Also, in our previous post, we asked for your help to categorize breeders into levels based on the amount of breeding pairs they own. We don't have a fee schedule set yet BECAUSE we have the same concerns that you do.

It is great to hear from somebody who has a lot of knowledge about the AKC. From our research, we have found that the NSGR will closely resemble the AKC in the way it operates. In fact, we have modeled our registry after the AKC and other successful registries (AQHA...)

Quote:
I am a member of the AKC. My dogs are both registered and I paid $25 to register my male and name him when I aquired him as a puppy. He had already been assigned a registration number by the litter owners when they registered his birth. Later, when I got my female, she was already a registered adult, so I paid another $25 to have her registration changed to my name as the owner, but the AKC registration number and the name recorded by the original registered owner never changed, of course. When I have puppies born, I pay a single $25 fee to the AKC and they send me a registration paper for every puppy in the litter no matter how few or how many there are... assigning each a number that will never change but not a name. When the new owners take posession of the puppy, I record their name, address, and phone number on a breeder record that gets sent to the AKC at no charge to me. The new owner gets a paper I signed that they fill out their chosen name for the new puppy on, along with their name, address, and phone number. They send in their certificate with $25 and get back a 3 generation pedigree chart and a registration certificate OR they pay $45 and get the registration certificate and a 5 generation pedigree chart on prettier paper that is suitable for framing. The reason both the new owner and i send the new owner's info in for that puppy is so if the new owner does not register the puppy in a timely manner, the AKC can contact them directly to ask them to register their puppy, instead of me... AND it provides proof to the AKC that the breeder agrees that the person sending the registration request IS who I sold the puppy to.

The registration paper the new owner gets has a transfer option on the back side. That way, if the puppy ever gets sold again, the certificate gets sent back to the AKC with the original purchaser's signature AND the info for the NEW owners, along with ANOTHER $25 fee. The NEW owners do NOT get to change the NAME of the animal that is registered, but DO get to call it whatever they want at home, of course... and the registration number never changes... sending the old certificate allows the AKC to verify the info and create a new certificate for the new owners with their info on it, but the same registration number and origianl name to make record keeping easier. All new certificates have the transfer option ont he back so no matter how many times the dog changes hands the AKC can keep track as long as the paperwork is sent to them.

As the breeder, if I keep a puppy, I send in the paperwork myself stating that I the breeder am retaining the animal for myself and I then I have to pay the $25 registration fee myself.

You just described our plan for the registry to a T! (excluding the fee amount since that has not been determined)

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798053
06/23/09 10:37 PM
06/23/09 10:37 PM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
I would be interested but I currently don't own gliders nor do I intend to breed.. can I still register if I intend to own gliders again at a later date? Or must I own them at the time of registration? Plus, as simply a pet owner with no formal education on gliders outside of the good database here smile will I even be able to register when it is first opened, or is the Charter membership exclusively for breeders/specialists/dealers etc?

Sabarika
Photography
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798061
06/23/09 10:47 PM
06/23/09 10:47 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I think that a neuter incentive should be offered, in which part of the registration fee is refunded upon verification, such as a letter from a veterinarian, that the glider has been neutered.

Neutered gliders could be registered at no charge.

The Arabian Horse Association and the Arabian Registry of America offer a gelding incentive where you get part of your registration fee refunded upon remitting a letter from your vet along with the original registration certificate.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Feather] #798087
06/23/09 11:24 PM
06/23/09 11:24 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I'm sorry, I'm not paying to register my gliders. Do I pay to register the rescues I've taken in, or the ones I've bought or had born here...

And just who IS a rescuer anyway? Anyone that takes in a rescued glider or only those that someone feels fit to be called a "rescuer"?

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Dancing] #798095
06/23/09 11:37 PM
06/23/09 11:37 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Sabarika:

Great Question! You could have a membership without owning any gliders at all! Additionally, you are more than welcome to become a Charter Member even if you have no gliders at the moment. We actually would like to encourage that! Remember... becoming a Charter Member is voting “YES” in our effort to improve the Quality of Life for the Sugar Glider.

Feather:

You have brought up a point about the neutered gliders. We have actually been thinking about this in a different way. We feel that the registration fee for ALL pet gliders (male or female, neutered or un-neutered) should be lower than the registration fee for a glider registered by a breeder with the intent to breed. Keep in mind that ALL fees will be set reasonably.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: SugaWhit] #798106
06/23/09 11:58 PM
06/23/09 11:58 PM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
I do not think this is a good idea because most people don't have the right lineages for their own gliders. One example is that every single time I see the lineage for MIckey and MInnie it says that they are out of Ethan and Eileen. Anyone who has a Leu het generally has one out of Mickey, MInnie or Ethan. Ethan and Eileen only had three offspring. They were Titan, Whisper and Gia. Mickey and Minnie were with a different female. Now anyone that would register it - there are literally hundreds, would put the wrong pedigree. I have spent three weeks trying to straighten out the pedigree that is in the Pet Glider Database that is wrong. I have had to contact breeders and ask them to change the information. You can't even imagine what a mess it is on there. Priscilla had entered my gliders for me and about 25% of them were wrong. It is not that they were so wrong on my site, she just did it from memory. I don't see where a registry will be affective because of all the bad data that will be put into it.

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Sheila] #798111
06/24/09 12:04 AM
06/24/09 12:04 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Quote:

And just who IS a rescuer anyway? Anyone that takes in a rescued glider or only those that someone feels fit to be called a "rescuer"?

It is our plan that Rescuer's will receive free membership and glider registration. If you were to apply as a Rescuer, you could register every rescued glider you own for free regardless of how you acquired the rescue.

The NSGRA (Which will be headed by a committee made up of respected community members that will be tentatively voted for at the SGGA) will be notified of all rescue applicants and have the authority to analyze and review the Rescue's status.

NOTE: Anyone who takes in rescued gliders will be able to register as a Rescuer. This glider community has members that breed and rescue and keep those operations completely separate, and according to our plan, they will be able to within the Registry as well.

This means that someone can be a registered breeder AND a registered Rescuer and register their gliders under these separate categories.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798114
06/24/09 12:13 AM
06/24/09 12:13 AM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
What about people who "rescue" from bad owners, gliders that are being neglected or pet stores? If you purchase a glider to provide it a better home, is that considered a "rescue"?

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798115
06/24/09 12:15 AM
06/24/09 12:15 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Sheila:

That is why we are here. No one is going to personally create the lineage of their gliders. It will be the responsibility of the NSGRA to investigate, and verify lineages.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: oakley] #798140
06/24/09 12:48 AM
06/24/09 12:48 AM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
Meghan, I have bred 100's of gliders and do not want to be contacted by everyone wanting to verify lineages. I am working on a database for all my gliders so that people can just look there instead of emailing me. I get at least three emails a week wanting me to verify something.

ToandFro Gliders

Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Sheila] #798157
06/24/09 01:08 AM
06/24/09 01:08 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline OP
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline OP
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
That is what the Registry will provide. The individual owners will not be verifying their own lineages and therefore not contacting you about it. You (for example) will register your breeding pairs and those that purchase gliders from you will register their gliders. The NSGRA will verify the lineages taking the personal, and sometimes biased, opinion out of the equation. The AKC does not allow a new owner to submit a full lineage on a newly registered dog, owners receive their dog lineages through the AKC and the Registry will operate the same way.

Don't get us wrong, there will be MANY hours of effort put in to start up the Registry, however, NOW is the time to do it while we can still trace lineages. Imagine trying to set up a Registry in 5 years!

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Sheila] #798163
06/24/09 01:45 AM
06/24/09 01:45 AM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
When I complete my database I will see if I can help you out.

ToandFro Gliders

Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Sheila] #798164
06/24/09 02:18 AM
06/24/09 02:18 AM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
Thank you, I would love to support this. I think if we can come together and make an organized and UNIFIED registry for gliders (for the US at least?) that was an all-in-one database for sugar glider registration and information that would be another step towards being recognized. My main concern is that this is just like what a lot of others are trying, but separately. If it it's an "official" organization people may be less apt to show their support (especially financially) but I would be so happy if we received some sort of professional recognition or title or whatever.. to make this a real "legit" organization. Does that make sense?

Right now there are how many websites offering lineage and pedigree tracking? The Pet Glider has a database and so do others. There are MANY websites and forums offering information but there is no MAIN orgaization that can be pointed to responsible for everything - owner and breeder and rescue registries, ways to contact community members, etc. How many of us have registered on more than one glider forum or direct people to CG after they were "educate" by lesser-informed websites or [worse] mill breeders like (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets? I think the concept is great, and while it may take lots of time and a lot of dedication to get this rolling (especially since glider, while growing in popularity, are NOT seen to be as organized a community as AKC or whatnot) but if we can come together to do this it would be an amazing starter resource to any new glider owner. It is more than just a registry and database for glider lineage, it can be an information hotspot for ALL things glider (much like many websites try to do but don't have the time/bandwidth/resources/know-how) related from basic are and how to buy a glider all the way to posting and reviewing vets from all over the country, contact information for people nationwide who you can call for help on rejected joeys and mill research, etc.

Fair and affordable pricing (but also enough to support the organization) is a hard issue but I would gladly pay a fee to register any glider I own (I actually registered my GERBILS with a Gerbil society when I owned them!) if it means I have a reliable way to track their lineage and even, maybe, so far as tracking any inheritable diseases or disorders (wouldn't it be nice if we could not just follow what lines are sterile but what gliders or glider lines may be susceptible or shown to have cancers, liver problems, obesity, thyroid problems, SM, or joey rejection?). This could be an EXTREMELY helpful thing especially for breeders or people who want to START breeding and wish to know what lines to avoid for certain traits or which you want to enhance.

Maybe I'm going too far or confusing the point of this project with something else, correct me if I'm rambling! I am very excited, this is an appealing project and if we can unite to really get it going we could have something very useful here, combining all those great sites available to us now into one databank that is a click away!

Sabarika
Photography
Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Sabarika] #798170
06/24/09 03:23 AM
06/24/09 03:23 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I think that IF this organization was to become 501c3, more would take it seriously and be more willing to participate. I for one though have 30 gliders. Many that were rescues, most that are non breeding. I am also not in the (financial) position to PAY to register each of my gliders on some website when there are other sites doing the registries for free. It would take away from my "toy" money for the gliders.

Some of the larger breeders keep fabulous records (like Sheila and Anita) on their gliders and are working on getting all their lineages straight on the existing databases. To ask this to be done yet again and for them to have to pay for it is just a bit much. It is an expense that breeders shouldn't have to consider. However, if it was a 501c3, that expense could then be written off on their taxes, giving them more incentive to participate.

I guess from my perspective, my gliders are pets first. IF my "breeding" gliders have joeys, fine, if not that's equally fine. I did not get a single one of my gliders because of potential joeys from them. I have 4th gen wfb joeys right now. I may have 5th gen in the future. Having their lineages is fantastic but I'm not in it for the joeys so the "registry" isn't important to me.

I have a registerd dog...she got spayed the first week I had her. I never bothered to have her "papers" put in my name because it just wasn't important, she is a pet, not a breeder. Since my gliders are pets first...it is equally as unimportant that they be "registered".

620-704-9109

Re: National Sugar Glider Registry and Association [Re: Sabarika] #798171
06/24/09 03:31 AM
06/24/09 03:31 AM

B
Babydevilsangel
Unregistered
Babydevilsangel
Unregistered
B

There was a thread recently that was almost similar in content, but someone was wanting to create a database for no charge. I'm afraid there will be no way to assure everyone's participation on any one "official registry".

There was discussion of correcting the errors on the current FREE databases, and I believe that a lot of people have gone and done exactly that.

It seems that efforts are being duplicated... only for a substancial cost... when there are people already working on creating something better, more unified, and correct... for free.

I keep my own database of my sugar gliders. Lineages of my sugars are available to whomever wants to view them. After all the time I've spent to collect all the information that is in my database and the upkeep it takes, I cannot see having to pay someone else to do the exact same thing.

I mean, just to be quite honest.. $25 for just becoming a member? If this thing goes, there is going to be a load of money going somewhere. Seems almost like a MLM.

I would most certainly need to see this database, and everything it offers in some type of demo before I'd ever agree to sign up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024