Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Outdoor Gliders #809707
07/20/09 01:46 PM
07/20/09 01:46 PM

F
furbaby25
Unregistered
furbaby25
Unregistered
F

I need some advice on my gliders.

I have 3 gliders two females and a male. I currently keep them in the extra room of my house. I have had them for a couple months and my mom is now complaining about the smell. I have done everything! wash the cage once a week along with switching sets of pouchs but nothing makes my mom happy. I really don't think the smell is too bad but nothing I can do will ease my mother so it's gotten to the point where she wants them out of the house. I can keep them but they have to be moved. I can put them in my garage but I am afraid the car fumes will be hazardous to them since my parents park both cars in the garage now so thats really not an option. The only real option is to keep them outside. I have a terrace in the backyard but it's not screened it so it worries me. I live in miami florida so we do have some pretty hot days and I don't know how they do with the heat. Can anyone give me any advice on my glider issue. As of right now I have to sell one of my females to be able to offer the right outdoor cage. Would putting them outside be ok? or do I have to find them a new home (which I absolutely do not want!)

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809712
07/20/09 01:49 PM
07/20/09 01:49 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
First of all, please pleaase do not split up a bonded trio.

Second, what diet do you currently have them on?

third, are you washing the cage one day then pouches and toys the NEXT day?

fourth, is your male neutered or not? if not neutering a male can greatly decrease the smell of a male.

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: MizValorie] #809715
07/20/09 01:59 PM
07/20/09 01:59 PM

F
furbaby25
Unregistered
furbaby25
Unregistered
F

I don't want to spilt the trio at all!! I love all 3 of the suggies. I don't really have them on a specific diet. They get two portions of fruits the morning portion is just a snack during the day along with some dry food. At night they get fruits veggies and zoo keepers secret along with Cal.

When I wash the cage I usually switch the pouches and toys that same day. And my male is not neutered but I can't bring myself to do it YET(but I will) to him I was hoping to have some joeys around.

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809717
07/20/09 02:07 PM
07/20/09 02:07 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Okay, getting them on a specific diet will definitely help with the smell BIG time. I am on the HPW diet and have noticed that it is the least smelliest of diets, you might want to give it a try or another approved diet.

Secondly are you really ready to have joeys? Having joeys is a BIG deal. You have to deal with the possibilities of cannibalization and rejection. I recommend reading up on breeding first.

If you neuter your male within a month I bet the smell will decrease about 50 percent.

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: MizValorie] #809718
07/20/09 02:09 PM
07/20/09 02:09 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Oh also trying washing the cage one day and then the toys and pouches the next. For some that seems to help decrease the marking which is probably what is causing the smell your mother is smelling.

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: MizValorie] #809719
07/20/09 02:16 PM
07/20/09 02:16 PM

F
furbaby25
Unregistered
furbaby25
Unregistered
F

Hmm this is some good advice. Thanks definitely going to look into these options. But I don't know home much time my mom will give me till she puts the cage out their herself. So I want to know how safe it is and what precautions to take. Then hopefully I can get my male neutered and bring them back inside.

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809721
07/20/09 02:22 PM
07/20/09 02:22 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
I agree. if she sticks them out there you need to know all that. I would talk to Marz, she is from Australia and keeps her gliders outside.

Please sit down and talk to your mom about all your options, the dangers of having gliders outside. See if she will give you time.

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: MizValorie] #809724
07/20/09 02:26 PM
07/20/09 02:26 PM

F
furbaby25
Unregistered
furbaby25
Unregistered
F

OK Thanks so much... How do I contact Marz though?

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809725
07/20/09 02:31 PM
07/20/09 02:31 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Go to Active search and then User list. From there you should be able to type in "Marz" Her name should come up and you should be able to click on her name and send a pm to her about your questions.

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: MizValorie] #809727
07/20/09 02:37 PM
07/20/09 02:37 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I would recommend having your male neutered as well, it will cut down on the smell big time, and if your worried about the smell now you don't want babies around, more gliders=more smell. I agree diet change should also help. Housing the gliders outdoors is a not safe unless you have climate control...but even then you will not be as in tune with your gliders and what is going on with them...

A better cleaning routine will definatly help! agree The tray in the cage is probably the stinkiest, try changing that every other day and wipe cage bars daily (esp where food dishes are placed and bottom grate) I use puppy pee pads which work great in the tray! Do you take your cage outside to wash it? Hose it down for a deep clean weekly. I use Natures Miracle on my cages, there are many excellent products that clean very well and eliminate the smell. Also, changing the pouch at least every other day, I change my trios daily, leaving a couple scent blankies in there. I sometimes use Pure Ayre odor eliminator when I'm on vacation and people complain about the smell. It's just a safe (food grade) air freshener of sorts. It works really great!

Last edited by SugareeErin; 07/20/09 02:40 PM. Reason: added

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: SugareeErin] #809736
07/20/09 03:10 PM
07/20/09 03:10 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
There are MANY hazards to putting your gliders outside.

1. If the gliders take a chance to jump out of the cage when you are putting food in or getting them out to play - they could hide and never be found.

2. The heat in Miami (I grew up there) and the humidity will probably be uncomfortable for your gliders. The cage would also need to be in an area protected from blowing rain which means well under a roof area on your porch.

3. Most neighborhoods have either stray cats or possums roaming around at night - they might consider glider food or worse yet the gliders themselves a tasty snack.

4. There are also some pretty large wild lizards in Miami - stray Iguanas or Cuban Cameleons might also be a threat to gliders and would be attracted to the fruits & vegetables put out for the gliders as well as the insects the food would draw.

Try neutering your male, changing to the BML or HPW diet and the gradual cage cleaning tips already listed to reduce over marking before attempting to move your gliders outside.

If outside is your only choice you may need to find a loving home for your trio that can provide space inside for the cage.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: CandyOtte] #809740
07/20/09 03:21 PM
07/20/09 03:21 PM

7glider7
Unregistered
7glider7
Unregistered

Gliders can do fairly well in the heat as long as there is also a shady corner for them to stay cool...I would be more worried about how cool it gets at night. My vet recommends keeping gliders between 70-85 degrees F at all times. You also have to worry about glider escapes and animal predators if you keep them outside...NOT IDEAL.

DEFINITELY DO NOT KEEP THEM IN THE GARAGE. I agree with your worry that fumes and other chemicals in the garage would likely be very harmful.

You can greatly reduce the smell of your gliders by 1) getting them on a diet you can find here (HPW is a great one) and 2) neutering the male ASAP. I can't stress how much neutering the male will cut down on the smell.

I wish you the best of luck, but I need to be honest with you here. If you can't afford neutering the male and you are going to have to sell a glider from a bonded trio to get a cage, you really don't have enough money to own gliders. The diet is going to cost you money too. Perhaps it might be fairest to these gliders to find another home that can meet all their needs, and when you are in a better financial situation, you could consider adopting gliders again, when you have your own place and can provide an indoor environment and a proper diet.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809759
07/20/09 04:09 PM
07/20/09 04:09 PM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Is there any way you can put a LARGE cage on your patio with a roof on it and at night cover the complete cage with water proof material - I know it can be done but I'm not too sure what the material is called -

The roof can be made of plastic or PVC over lapping the cage on all 4 sides

then when you cover the cage at night the material will not touch the cage and the gliders would still be safe from predators

Just a suggestion

Please keep us informed - and good luck

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809780
07/20/09 04:57 PM
07/20/09 04:57 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: 7glider7
I need to be honest with you here. If you can't afford neutering the male and you are going to have to sell a glider from a bonded trio to get a cage, you really don't have enough money to own gliders. The diet is going to cost you money too. Perhaps it might be fairest to these gliders to find another home that can meet all their needs, and when you are in a better financial situation, you could consider adopting gliders again, when you have your own place and can provide an indoor environment and a proper diet.

I have to agree with Jen, here. Also consider that breeding gliders means more mouths to feed and MORE smell. Getting your male neutered would be the best course of action right now (if you can talk your mom into keeping them in the house), otherwise finding them a new home would be the best option for them right now. You can always get gliders at a later time, when you are out of your parent's house and on your own.

I know how difficult it is to even think of giving an animal away, but right now that sounds like the best course of action, particularly for them. Good luck with whatever decision you make. hug2

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: sugarlope] #809796
07/20/09 05:37 PM
07/20/09 05:37 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Like Candy said, there are just too many dangers for them to be kept outside. I honestly think that the heat and humidity of outdoor Miami after being kept indoors in a controlled temperature may be fatal to them. Can you let your mom know that?

Also, someone mentioned covering the cage with plastic, DO NOT DO THIS! That will hold in the heat, humidity, smell and quite possible restrict airflow enough to cause serious respiratory health issues.

I agree with the other posters on what you need to do: change to a proper diet, neuter your male, and alternate cleaning to reduce scent marking. I have one female that goes into overdrive if I wipe cage bars and swap toys/pouches all at once. Her little tushy gets raw because she drags it all over everything blush

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809811
07/20/09 05:53 PM
07/20/09 05:53 PM

P
PriVe
Unregistered
PriVe
Unregistered
P

in the wild sugar gliders are outdoors, it is their natural habitat and although i never been to australia or new zealand area, i heard its hot. but the humidity here is unbareable along with the heat. not to mention the extreme rain and recent thunder storms....may cause some stress for your suggies.
i sent u a PM (flashing envelope at the top center button "My Stuff" then click on "Messages")

Last edited by PriVe; 07/20/09 05:53 PM.
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809819
07/20/09 06:26 PM
07/20/09 06:26 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: PriVe
in the wild sugar gliders are outdoors, it is their natural habitat...

But these are not "wild" gliders accustomed to being outdoors. They are spoiled little fuzzies that will NOT adapt favorably to being kept indoors for their entire lives, then suddenly thrown outside in the heat and wet.

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809822
07/20/09 06:30 PM
07/20/09 06:30 PM

M
monluvspagen
Unregistered
monluvspagen
Unregistered
M

Shoot it is too hot for me outside, so it is too hot for them haha

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #809862
07/20/09 07:48 PM
07/20/09 07:48 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
The weather is not the only concern here. There are predators to worry about as well! I would have to agree that the problem is in no diet and an intact male. You should get them on an approved diet, like HPW, which is fed at night with various fruits & veggies. You don't need to feed them during the day as they will be sleeping. Neutering your male will help in many ways. It will decrease the scent marking as well as avoid more gliders being born. Do you use any type of bedding in the tray of the cage? I find that using paper towel and changing it every few days really helps. If your parents are upset about what you already have, how will they feel about more? How can you justify having joey's when you can't have these 3? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but you need to do what is best for them and not you. Maybe now isn't a good time for you to have gliders. Will you be in a position to be in your own place any time soon?

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: gliderma] #809888
07/20/09 08:23 PM
07/20/09 08:23 PM
Tennessee
teriek Offline
Glider Lover
teriek  Offline
Glider Lover

Tennessee
OK, honestly, I haven't read everything in the thread....BUT
two things to consider....you may acutally be washing the cage & contents too much. If it's all clean, he feels like he needs to mark it all again. I do my cages about once a month or so depending....I do pouches about every 2 weeks & the other items as needed. BUT the litter pan is the place where all of their waste & food droppings goes to get all smelly so that's probably what needs to be cleaned most often.
A steady diet will help with the smell & a neuter will do wonders.
My kids enjoy a trip outside on occasion but I would not consider leaving them outside in any type cage without me.

Teresa
Rockie,Princess,Scooter,Pumpkin
Chip,Embry,Gizmo,Piccachu
Bonnie,Clyde,JessieJames,Annie
Pez,Cotton,Carina,Taz,Bugz,Sugar,Spice
Ares,Athena,Hera,Hermes
Dingo,Raven,Rain,Ace
Dolly,Dusty,Derby
Dollop,Gemini,Gracie
Caimyn,Cassio,Casper
over the rainbow bridge Louie,Cocoa,Ross,Midnight,Dione,Dale
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: teriek] #809890
07/20/09 08:25 PM
07/20/09 08:25 PM
Florida
R
Rieshu Offline
Glider Lover
Rieshu  Offline
Glider Lover
R

Florida
Miami heat will most likely kill your gliders. It's been close to 100 degrees outside.

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #810060
07/21/09 09:41 AM
07/21/09 09:41 AM

P
PriVe
Unregistered
PriVe
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: BelladonnasMom
Originally Posted By: PriVe
in the wild sugar gliders are outdoors, it is their natural habitat...

But these are not "wild" gliders accustomed to being outdoors. They are spoiled little fuzzies that will NOT adapt favorably to being kept indoors for their entire lives, then suddenly thrown outside in the heat and wet.

Was used as an example since some may consider to somewhat mimic their natural habitat. they're still exotic animals, which is why we feed them diets as close as it may get to what they eat in the wild.
regardless of that....yes, we love to spoil our suggies, but understand being couped up in a room does no good either. just like us, we need fresh air, whether during the day or night. when i get home from work and its not raining, i'll open the windows to let some fresh air in. and no, i don't recommend putting their cage outside, especially that it's not screened and their scent or food will attract some animals that may be a threat to them....not to mention the little annoying fruit flies, mosquitos due to humidity. i live near a lake now and we're having mosquitos follow us in and sometimes little tiny frogs finding their way in....yuk! please let ur mother know the risks of having them outside. when i had Dude (un-neutured), i sometimes would put a small cup with baking soda (filled 1/2 way) sitting about a foot away from their cage...this helped absorb some odor. but as others said, neuturing is the best option if you still want them in the house without upsetting your mom. best of luck to you finding a solution.

Last edited by PriVe; 07/21/09 09:46 AM.
Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #810075
07/21/09 10:20 AM
07/21/09 10:20 AM

S
SugarGliderCandy
Unregistered
SugarGliderCandy
Unregistered
S

Put their dinner in a glider kitchen, to contain the smell. My cages reaked so bad up until I made a glider kitchen. Now all of them have kitchens in the cages and I don't have to clean as often as I used to. It had dramatically reduced the smell, to the point I don't smell them(and I have a sensitive sniffer)

I wipe down their cages with vinegar/water mix about once a week or so and fully wash down their cage about once per month. I wash their pouches as needed, but usually once every other week. The more you take away their smell the more they will scent mark it up. You're defeating your own purpose.

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #810687
07/22/09 04:26 PM
07/22/09 04:26 PM

F
furbaby25
Unregistered
furbaby25
Unregistered
F

Well good news I am changing their diet and I now can keep them at my girlfriends house so they will be safe indoors! I am also looking into neutering.. Just have to find the right vet in Miami. Also I'm getting that stuff called carbin? for the bottom of the cage I was told that it works well. And with your great advice I will not wash everything so completely at the same time.

Re: Outdoor Gliders [Re: ] #810695
07/22/09 04:44 PM
07/22/09 04:44 PM

P
PriVe
Unregistered
PriVe
Unregistered
P

there's one i heard is good:

Avian & Exotic Animal Medical Center
12125 S. Dixie Hwy
Miami, FL 33156
http://www.avianexotic.com/

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024