Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... #863264
11/07/09 06:31 PM
11/07/09 06:31 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
So I've been considering tent-time with Murdoc, but I'm terrified hes going to bite me.
As of right now, I can put my hand in the pouch without crabbing or him trying to hide from me. When I put my scent patches in the pouch, he immediately starts "grooming" them. (Licking, nibbling, etc.)

This morning, his nails were caught in the fleece of his pouch. I gave him a treat and gently freed his nails and stroked his little palm without protest.

Yet I'm still afraid. Suggestions?

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Gliders have indentured servants.

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863266
11/07/09 06:39 PM
11/07/09 06:39 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I found that even my fearful biter bit me less often when we were in the tent (he no longer bites unless clipping nails). It was almost as if he felt safer and so was less afraid of me (because I didn't have to chase him or worry about catching him). dunno

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: sugarlope] #863287
11/07/09 08:04 PM
11/07/09 08:04 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
krysKritters Offline
Glider Addict
krysKritters  Offline
Glider Addict

Hudson Valley, NY
Ironically enough, what usually works best is accept the fact that you will get bitten.
Gliders, like any animal can sense fear and the more you fear it the more they feel you fear, and actually become fearful themselves. Therefore bite more often.
Once you accept the fact that you will get bitten, you calm yourself and therefore your glider is calmer.
...and if you don't get bit, well then that is just a bonus.
(BTW, I have been around gliders for 5+ years and once in a while, one will still catch me by surprise and nip me. I don't think I've ever gotten used to it but if I worry or dwell on it, it seems to happen more often.)

I think gliders tend to bite less in the tent or glider proof room because your stress and fear of not being able to catch them is less, so they are calmer too.

Moral of the story, RELAX and enjoy your glider. When you do that, he will probably relax too! wink

Krys DeRosa
Godfather of the NY Glider Mafia

KrysKritters.comcloud9

A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world.
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: krysKritters] #863303
11/07/09 09:18 PM
11/07/09 09:18 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I agree with the above. It doesn't sound like he's a biter. If you've not been bitten by now, especially after freeing his foot, I don't think you will be. Actually, my only concern with him is his nail getting stuck. Do you know how to trim or file his nail so it won't get caught? You don't want it to get caught when you're not around to free him.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: suggiemom1980] #863307
11/07/09 09:29 PM
11/07/09 09:29 PM

A
albaugh21
Unregistered
albaugh21
Unregistered
A

It sounds like if you did tent time that he'd be gentile with you. I've never been bitten really bad...well, not yet, but even the nips that draw blood aren't bad...it's gonna hurt your feelings more than anything. It did me anyway. If that happens, all you can do is keep trying.

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: ] #863320
11/07/09 09:52 PM
11/07/09 09:52 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
No, I don't know how to trim them. frown I've watched videos and read tutorials, but still don't trust myself and theres no glider people close to help me.

I was going to let my vet's office do it, but they want $54.99 for an office call and then $12 for the "grooming".

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863324
11/07/09 10:01 PM
11/07/09 10:01 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
There should be no office charge if you just go for nails trimming.
Does he love mealies? If so the easiest way for you & him is to put him in a pouch along with several mealies and take out just one foot at a time & close the rest of him up in the pouch firmly, use little nail clippers and just trim the very tips off as quickly as safely possible.

If you only manage a few nails at a time that is a few more than when you started. You will get used to it & become more adept quickly.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: Trigger] #863462
11/08/09 10:41 AM
11/08/09 10:41 AM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
I'm terrified of hurting them though. frown

Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863523
11/08/09 01:47 PM
11/08/09 01:47 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
When we say "trim the tip", that means just barely the very point. When I use the emery board, I run it across the nail no more than 3 times. The objective isn't to take off as much nail as possible before you reach the quick. It's to barely dull the point so that it won't get caught on pouches, toys, etc.

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: suggiemom1980] #863525
11/08/09 01:55 PM
11/08/09 01:55 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
I may get an emery board and try it. I'd probably be more comfortable with that. I've noticed that both of the boys have been getting caught in their fleece. >.<

Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863554
11/08/09 02:48 PM
11/08/09 02:48 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
Here are a few suggestions for clipping nails:

1. Get him out during the day when he's more likely to be a bit a sleepy and needing to potty. While he's out, sit on the floor with your legs bent up in front of you. Place him on your knees. You can offer a treat as a distraction. Calmly pick up one foot at a time and spread the toes with your fingers. You will be surprised at how easy you can snip the tips of the nails while he munches a treat or pauses to potty.

2. Use the burrito technique. Wrap him up in a fleece blanket like a glider burrito. Gently pull one foot out of the burrito and use the fleece to create a barrier between yourself and the glider as you clip the nails.

3. Enlist a buddy. Use the burrito technique from above only have one person hold him while the other clips the nails.

4. One foot at a time. There are some days, with 13 gliders, that clipping all of the nails just gets me all frustrated and upset. So, I've learned to space it out over a few days. Those nails aren't going anywhere. roflmao You can always tackle another foot tomorrow! Taking your time also give the glider time to recover from any stress from the previous clipping.

Oh, and here is my advice to any and all people who get nervous about one of my gliders biting..."Any animal with teeth can bite. Just keep in mind that a glider on it's worst day cannot kill you." I know it sounds silly, but try to keep things in perspective. Your little guy sounds like a typical gliders in terms of behavior. He isn't aggressive. While nips ARE part of glider ownership, I don't think they are anything to be afraid of.

Hope that helps!

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: StitchsMom] #863587
11/08/09 03:37 PM
11/08/09 03:37 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: StitchsMom
Here are a few suggestions for clipping nails:

1. Get him out during the day when he's more likely to be a bit a sleepy and needing to potty. While he's out, sit on the floor with your legs bent up in front of you. Place him on your knees. You can offer a treat as a distraction. Calmly pick up one foot at a time and spread the toes with your fingers. You will be surprised at how easy you can snip the tips of the nails while he munches a treat or pauses to potty.

2. Use the burrito technique. Wrap him up in a fleece blanket like a glider burrito. Gently pull one foot out of the burrito and use the fleece to create a barrier between yourself and the glider as you clip the nails.

3. Enlist a buddy. Use the burrito technique from above only have one person hold him while the other clips the nails.

4. One foot at a time. There are some days, with 13 gliders, that clipping all of the nails just gets me all frustrated and upset. So, I've learned to space it out over a few days. Those nails aren't going anywhere. roflmao You can always tackle another foot tomorrow! Taking your time also give the glider time to recover from any stress from the previous clipping.

You can also use the emery board in place of clipping.

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: suggiemom1980] #863591
11/08/09 03:43 PM
11/08/09 03:43 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
I think I would be more comfortable with the emery board as opposed to clippers. Seems like theres a lot of room for error when it comes to clippers and I don't trust myself as inexperienced as I am.

I've decided I'm going to give tent time with him a go tonight. I'm excited and nervous about it. I'm hoping all goes well with it.

Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863665
11/08/09 06:34 PM
11/08/09 06:34 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
So its getting closer and closer to time for him to wake up...I have the tent set up in the living room...and I'm on the verge of chickening out. frown

Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863670
11/08/09 06:46 PM
11/08/09 06:46 PM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
Go for it! You'll be delighted when he comes out to play! Before they get used to hands, they need to get used to YOU. hug2

Ash
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: chattrbabe] #863674
11/08/09 06:57 PM
11/08/09 06:57 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
Give it a try! Playtime is sooo fun. Have fun and I cant wait to hear how it goes

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: Janie] #863708
11/08/09 07:56 PM
11/08/09 07:56 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
I'm really hoping it goes well! I'm going to try it regardless. I figure they let me put my hand in the pouch, they take treats, and they let me pet them with no protest. Therefore, tent time should be okay...right? lol

Last edited by MissSarah; 11/08/09 07:57 PM.

Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863713
11/08/09 08:02 PM
11/08/09 08:02 PM
ohio
Miai43 Offline
In Pouch
Miai43  Offline
In Pouch

ohio
You'll never know until you go for it but you'll do fine smile

Love my babies,
CAT: Darc
DOG: Joey
GLIDERS: Lei and his babies Nova and Teara, Bit and Opal are some new ones and last but not least my little fighter whom I just recieved recently Netty.
R.I.P Vince, Rook and Rayleena i love you and miss you dearly
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: Miai43] #863716
11/08/09 08:04 PM
11/08/09 08:04 PM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline OP
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
I really should stop saying "they" because I'm only talking about Murdoc. Dexter is as sweet and gentle as they come.

Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: MissSarah] #863722
11/08/09 08:18 PM
11/08/09 08:18 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
Skittles was meaner than blue blazes when we brought him home, crabbed his head off all the time & would literally draw blood THRU the bonding pouch.
Put him in the bathroom(we had no tent back then) & he was a different glider, he would occasionally find a piece if skin he felt like tasting but NEVER an aggressive mean bite just a little nip

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: Trigger] #865572
11/12/09 02:25 PM
11/12/09 02:25 PM

R
Rin
Unregistered
Rin
Unregistered
R

hmm my case would be weird, my glider is afraid but she doesn crab at me.. When i put hold her she falls straight to sleep or hug my finger to sleep...

the thing with her is she loves.... i mean seriously love biting my fingers and nails.. i let her chew as long she doesn chew too hard... no matter how many time i put my hand into the cage she will come and the first thing she do is bite...

is like cleaning me.. she go ard chasing my fingers...

perhaps is the way they play around with you? to them may be a sort of 'fun' thing to do??

what do you think??

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: ] #865597
11/12/09 03:17 PM
11/12/09 03:17 PM

N
Ninja_Jack
Unregistered
Ninja_Jack
Unregistered
N

Well Sarah, Was it as horrible as you thought? smile Did you even go through with it! You better have!! tounge

You get bit, you get bit. Youve given birth to four beautiful kids, I dont think a pinch is gonna compare.:) Believe me, if you saw me, youd think I got in a fight with a thorn bush with all the scratches I have all my over my hands, shoulders, chest and neck.. I am the jungle gym during out time!

Better have taken pics tounge

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to get bitten... [Re: ] #865639
11/12/09 04:41 PM
11/12/09 04:41 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I agree! as much as it may hurt you if they bite...well they are very small. it's not like you will lose an arm, you will at worse get a tiny hole and a tiny spot of blood. like from a needle. and the scratches on my arms...well...since I garden alot and sometimes do wrestle with rose bushes...i just dont even think about it.

Last edited by JillMarie; 11/12/09 04:41 PM.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024