Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? #891944
01/11/10 06:06 PM
01/11/10 06:06 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline OP
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NY
When I see the classifieds postings for gliders on here, I get a bit nervous.. Because anyone could reply. Anyone could get the gliders.. And lets face it -- these people might not know how to care for them.

So to the breeders on here, how do you screen future homes?
Do you ask questions? Ask for pictures of where the gliders will be kept (this, to me, might be a good idea). Do you keep in close contact with the person you're selling to? What else do you do, if you do something else?

I just see so many gliders posted on Craiglist.. Or being rehomed... Granted a lot of those joeys are (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets joeys, but some aren't. I don't care to see joeys passed from home to home, or kept in unfit conditions... so, how do you, as breeders, try to prevent this from happening?

---and to those purchasing joeys, what questions do you ask?

I have not yet used the classifieds to find a glider (though we all know I've been tempted!), but I have a LONG list of questions typed up to ask.. in the event that I ever decide to add a new friend to my pair.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: WintersSong] #891948
01/11/10 06:13 PM
01/11/10 06:13 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
I don't know a single breeder on this board who does not, granted some screen less than others. But I would say I have a medium scale screen process my thought process being what they still have questions about I can help with and if I come off sounding like a cop I will never find good homes. Some of the best homes I've placed gliders in are the new owners who you can start fresh with and spend a lot of time over the phone getting to know them.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: WintersSong] #891949
01/11/10 06:14 PM
01/11/10 06:14 PM

P
partyofsix
Unregistered
partyofsix
Unregistered
P

True that anyone can inquire about them, but I for one am very selective on who they go to. I have a questionnaire on my website for people to fill that covers just about everything I want to know. Even then if I just get a bad feeling about someone I won't sell to them. I also try to keep in good contact with them after the gliders leave. I have a contract that they must sign as well.

I have had a few gliders rehomed and I am thankful that the owners did contact me first. If I can't take them back I want to know where they go to and help them screen potential homes so that I may keep in contact with the new owners as well.

Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: Laurens_Babies] #891952
01/11/10 06:16 PM
01/11/10 06:16 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
Oh read more in your post I first get a general idea of what the person is looking for in a glider and go from there sometimes I have to talk them out of the adoption they want straight off the bat so why waste the time? Then once I have someone who genuinely wants a joey I start asking questions, if they are new owners I ask what are they prepared for (cage, food time etc..) New owners I ask for pictures, previous breeder references (so if I know the breeder I can check with them how the adoption went) what care their current gliders under..

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: Laurens_Babies] #891973
01/11/10 07:22 PM
01/11/10 07:22 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
you can screen, teach, screen and teach some more but guess what........it doesnt mean a darn thing so breeders must be ready for damage control and such. I know where the gliders are I have sold/given away............been fairly lucky so far.......got a few gliders back in a way in which my buyers were not taught..............thats reality folks!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: Cora] #892033
01/11/10 09:40 PM
01/11/10 09:40 PM
Elkhorn, WI
CSteele Offline
Glider Slave
CSteele  Offline
Glider Slave

Elkhorn, WI
Quote:
you can screen, teach, screen and teach some more but guess what........it doesnt mean a darn thing so breeders must be ready for damage control and such. I know where the gliders are I have sold/given away............been fairly lucky so far.......got a few gliders back in a way in which my buyers were not taught..............thats reality folks!

I agree... I have had very few bad experiences and have talked a few out of getting a glider but at the end of the day, for the most part, I am comfortable with where my babies are smile and some of the homes (you know who you are...Tami and Jen!) I wish could take more of my babies because they take such good care of them!!!

I keep in contact as much as everyone will allow. I send out periodic emails to the people who have adopted my joeys and who haven't talked with me in a while. And sadly, one I have lost contact with.

I think it's a game of chance no matter how much you screen...and that thought alone sometimes makes me want to neuter all my boys...which may soon happen.

Celeste
262-325-7137

Spoonful of Sugars-Gliders & Gear
www.glidersandgear.com

:grey: Nissa, Moose, Faye, Dexter, Frankie,
:wfb: Shakespeare, Elsbeth, Isabeau, Dartanion,
:wt: Adonis
:rtmo: Lily & Lil Aphrodite (my wht mo)

gangel Squirrel & Damien

Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: CSteele] #892040
01/11/10 09:56 PM
01/11/10 09:56 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline OP
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline OP
Glider Slave

NY
I have another question for the breeders..
What questions do you WISH those wanting to buy from you would ask???

And is it possible for one to ask too many questions?

Like I said, I have a very long list of things that I would want to know about new gliders..and I won't be getting more gliders for a long time. The questions on my list include some basic things about the suggies likes.. what treats are their favorite, what toys do they seem to like, what sort of pouches.. And then things like, what is their lineage, could I receive a copy of their vet records for him/her, if I get them.. was the glider a rejected joey? Has the joey ever had a medical issue, or injury? What diet do you feed, how much time do you spend with them, can I see a photograph of the cage they are kept in..... things like that.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: CSteele] #892042
01/11/10 10:05 PM
01/11/10 10:05 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
I do have an application & a contract. I know where the gliders are that I have placed and do send a periodic email if they haven't been in touch for a while. I have placed gliders with experienced owners and new people, all with good results. I have a folder full of information that goes with them. This includes diet, housing & helpful links, as well as my business & personal phone numbers. Once I get the application they come to meet me and the gliders. I always bring a few with me to my office so they can see how different gliders can be from one another. Once they decide what they want and I decide they can be a good home, the contract is done and they get their new babies. Yes I breed & sell gliders, but they are my family members first and I do want them taken care of in the manner they are accustomed to with me. Otherwise, they do not go!

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: gliderma] #892055
01/11/10 10:29 PM
01/11/10 10:29 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I go over as much as I possibly can with a potential new owner. I find out what they know, correct them if they have gotten bad info (one researched a lot - too bad it was all from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets's site), and give them whatever info I have that they don't. It's pretty much an information overload. If they come to my house, I give them info on paper along with some sites to do good research ~ along with my phone # and e-mail. I'm willing to educate even if you don't buy my joey!

I had people here the other day for over 4 hours going over every aspect I could, and answered every question they had. They went home thinking things over and doing more research.

I think they will make a great home, but as already mentioned, it's always some level of a gamble. So far I've been pretty lucky.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: GliderNursery] #892060
01/11/10 10:35 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
I actually wish buyers would ask more questions. So no, I dont think you can ask too many!!! Lynn, You have been around breeding for how long?? Just wait a bit.......I hope all continues to go well..........time will tell.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: gliderma] #892061
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
hi sara,

I do agree no matter how much we screen homes or how much the buyer screens the breeder, this is not foolproof. In saying that I have been very lucky. i have a very LOOOONG questionairre IMO and a contract with first rights of refusal, breeding or no breeding etc. it can be very hard to let these precious bundles of joy go, but i have been very lucky and happy to find excellent homes that do periodically update me. All my gliders have and are seen by a vet, my cages and even a video of my glider room (since pics can be edited) are posted on my site.

also I would feel a whole lot better about a home for my joey the more questions that are asked. There isn't any question out there that i think would be too much per se. I think it is awesome you have a list of questions, because it does go both ways. The breeder wants a good home for their joeys and the buyer wants to know their joeys have been cared for with the most love and care out there. thumb

Kristy

Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: GliderNursery] #892068
01/11/10 10:48 PM
01/11/10 10:48 PM
Roanoke, Virginia
mommawannabe Offline
Glider Slave
mommawannabe  Offline
Glider Slave

Roanoke, Virginia
I pretty much do the same as the others. For the most part have had pretty good experiences with placing my joeys. There is no such thing as too many questions. I also will tell the bad along with the good and sometimes I feel almost like I am trying to talk them out of adopting. I just try to always remain honest. I've only had one bad experience that turned out good. I blame myself as I had a feeling and should of went with my gut feeling when they came to pick up. I tell every potential new glider parent that they can come by or call any time or email with any questions. I want them to be completely prepared for anything that could happen. I stress the cage, toys, pouches and diet and the fact that they can be expensive to care for. I really really stress that this is not a pet you can just get and leave in the cage and not handle it at all. I also make sure they understand this is a long time commitment. I encourage folks to come here ask questions and learn as much as they can before making a decision. I too have a contract. I'm working on an adoption questionaire.

Anna

Hubby Tommie
son Logan - 11
Pugs-Duncan and Raven,
Bunnies-Foo&Friday
Hedgies-Sweet Pea,Dobby,Bambi,DarthVader,Lexy,Shadow, Willow & Thatch.
suggies-Izzy, Miley~Toff, Jasper~Twinkie, Nix~Ash, Nash~Riley, Barney~Spryte~Pixie, Apollo~Athena.
Turtles - Shelly~Petunia

www.suggiebabies.com

Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: mommawannabe] #892072
01/11/10 11:00 PM
01/11/10 11:00 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
Yes, Cora I am relatively new at this, but I still know what is important to glider care and want to impress upon people that they do have very specific needs and are not your typical pet. I have told many that it's like having a 2 yr. old for the next 10 yrs and they usually don't call back! But that's a good thing! I would rather be honest and have them walk away empty handed.

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: gliderma] #892074
01/11/10 11:12 PM
01/11/10 11:12 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
I have an application I have them fill out that tells me how much they know about care, diet, etc.

It also tells me if they are a minor or not. I won't sell to minors unless the whole family is involved and understands the gliders too.

Also, the name of the town they live in is important. I call the local humane society to see if gliders are legal in the community.

I also get the vet's name so I can find out if they are taking other animals to the vet for wellness check ups or just emergencys. That makes a big difference to how I make up my mind on where my gliders wind up.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: Marsupial_Mayhem] #892366
01/12/10 09:44 PM
01/12/10 09:44 PM
Kenosha,WI
J
jen102375 Offline
Glider Lover
jen102375  Offline
Glider Lover
J

Kenosha,WI
Where is Sugagree Erin? (Hope I spelled that right Erin). She has a great application. It is very well thought through. Really makes one think " Am I really ready for all of this" I have to say, I will be a complete nut case when I have my first set of joey's and no one will probably jump through the hoops I set out before them, but if they want one of my babies they will have 2. I will want to see pic's of the room they will be in, pic's of their cages. Well way to more to list. But most importantly I will have in my contract that they have to stay in contact with me once a month for a year and give me the right to stop in for a visit within the first year. My breeder Celeste was the best. She introduced me to GC she also gave me ton's of printed out information even where to get great deals on glider supplies. She taught me about the HPW diet. I now have 3 of her babies wich all are super sweet. Celeste has become my dearest friend and we talk almost daily and I can't even count the text's lol. We can't predict the future but we sure can try our best to ensure our babies go to the best of homes. Celeste and I have talked about trying to come up with a screening process together. Maybe the breeders should start a group where they all put their idea's and thoughts together to come up with a wonderful screening process and applications and contracts. And where we work together to weed out the ones that are not glider ready or the ones that have not been good glider owners in the past. Sorry to ramble lol this is a topic that is very important to me.

Last edited by jen102375; 01/12/10 09:50 PM.

Slave 2
Hubby Jon
3 daughters Ellivia(13)Hanna(10)Alayna(6)
6 Suggies: Harley/Abby, Pongo/Pracilla, Cash/Charity
4 wonderful Rescues

Jen
262 748-4128 24hr help
www.thegliderboutique.com

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEY'S (THANK YOU) smile

Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: jen102375] #892388
01/12/10 10:49 PM
01/12/10 10:49 PM
fredericksburg va
garrick_d Offline
Glider Explorer
garrick_d  Offline
Glider Explorer

fredericksburg va
I have one of Celeste babies and he is the best! And well he is about to be a father soon:) I love here contact so much she is letting me use the same one and she also sent home many papers on food and care and enough hpw to make a batch! she's great!

Father of...

Pheobe :grey: + Elliot :grey:
+joey:)
my chinchilla Kiki
Snowball my hedgehog

http://www.garrickexotics.com/
Re: Breeders: Do you "screen" future homes in anyway? [Re: jen102375] #892433
01/13/10 01:52 AM
01/13/10 01:52 AM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
I don't breed or have gliders right now but I wanted to make a suggestion.. try Google searching. If the potential owner is someone from the boards I'm sure most breeders will go through that person's post list to see what their posts consist of and if there are any discrepancies, but I'd say go farther than that. Google search the username or email, or name if you have it. It could pop up that they are an animal hoarder or have a blog that might show they have owned many animals in the past and gotten rid of them as soon as the novelty wore off, you never know! Or you might find a pleasant surprise such as they donate to many local charities and volunteer at an animal shelter. smile

Go above and beyond, I don't feel like it would be "sleuthing" in a bad way to take precautions such as Google searching a username--I think of it as a background check. It may not turn any results or it could bring you to other forums they are on, websites, anything--as long as you can confirm it is them it can't hurt to look. Hope this is helpful, I know it has helped me in the past to research people commissioning me for art--I've declined working for people who I discovered were deadbeat payers and I feel it worked to my advantage--sure I could have made some cash but I also could have worked many hours for no pay at all.

Sabarika
Photography

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024