Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Would like your thoughts #922180
03/23/10 10:44 AM
03/23/10 10:44 AM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

on this.
First off I never yet had a sick glider and I have had gliders for over three years now. The only problem I have had was a glider I took from my sister ended up with HLP due to her having three pregnancies in less than a year and not being on a good diet but now is in good health.

I read a lot of posts about gliders getting sick. I was wondering does anyone ever think it might be that their is bacteria build up on the cages and wheels or even their pouches/toys?

I am not saying that people don't clean their cages but maybe just not enough. This is what I do and I have OCD when it comes to cleaning. lol

I clean their cages totally ever week cage, toys, pouches, wheel. But every day I take a bucket of hot soapy water ( I use Seventh Generation soap ) and wipe down the whole cage and wheel and any toys that I put a treat in. Then I wipe the bottom grate down on top and bottom and then I take out their tray and take out the old paper towels then I spray with clorox anywhere spray and I wipe the tray clean and dry and I put down more paper towels.

I can not stand to see any food or poop sticking to any parts of their cages especially their wheels. Because mine do smear poop on their stealth wheels and its gross so I clean them good every day.

Now with this is mind ok- say a glider gets a scratch or tears a nail or what ever and their is bacteria buildup on the cage that of course we don't see and now the bacteria gets in the cut now we have ourselves an infection that will most likely get worse or have a glider start messing with it and making it worse. Now we have a glider that has to go to the vet is but on meds or what have you. But still has the cut, scratch or even bite. Now they are put back in a cage that still has bacteria on it and maybe the cut won't heal. And the glider keeps getting sick.

Has anyone ever thought about this? We clean our houses after someone has the flu or what have you to kill all the germs so that maybe no one else will get it. Maybe we just are not cleaning their cages good enough to kill all the germs and in turn they get sick from it.
This is just a thought I was having- thats why I want everyones input on this.
I do not want anyone thinking that just cause your glider got sick was from their cage. I was just asking a question. This is not to start a argument this is for the good of our gliders.
Just what to see what everyone else's thoughts are on this and maybe this could be a possibility.

And what about their water. I only give bottled spring water and clean their water bottles daily.

Last edited by AmyLynn; 03/23/10 11:05 AM.
Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: ] #922212
03/23/10 11:47 AM
03/23/10 11:47 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
Maybe we just are not cleaning their cages good enough

While your logic is good and all, consider this. What if by cleaning on the schedule you are, you are preventing them from being able to build up any immune system to the normal daily bacterias they do come into contact with.

If you take an animal baby and raise it in an isolated sterile environment, their body has no reason to develope anti-bodies to bacterias and such. Then as adults, remove them from that sterile environment and it is almost guarenteed they will get sick and die.

Could it be we clean their enviornments TOO much?

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: Dancing] #922218
03/23/10 11:54 AM
03/23/10 11:54 AM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
In the wild, their environment is surely not spotless....
I do think that there is such a thing as over cleaning. But yes, there is also such a thing as UNDER cleaning.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: WintersSong] #922229
03/23/10 12:24 PM
03/23/10 12:24 PM
Kentucky
nancy1202 Offline
Glider Addict
nancy1202  Offline
Glider Addict

Kentucky
I do believe that you can definitely OVER clean a cage. Gliders like to have their own scent on their cage/toys/pouches, and will likely over-mark like crazy if the whole cage is sterilized daily! That is why many of us alternate changing out pouches and toys. I have two pouches in all cages except my breeding pair and will switch out one pouch weekly so they always have a "stinky" pouch. The breeding pair gets to keep their "stinky" blankies when they get a clean pouch to hopefully be less stressful.

Of course, a strict cleaning and sterilizing schedule should be followed when a parasite or bacteria has been identified and is being treated.

~Nancy~
http://www.derbycitygliders.com

:grey: Jackson/Izzie, Lukas/Leilah, Mizuki/Elektra, Oliver/Ava, Ramon/Paloma, Charming/Snow
Rest of the menagerie: dogs, cats, corn snake, bearded dragon
Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: nancy1202] #922288
03/23/10 02:10 PM
03/23/10 02:10 PM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

Yes, I could be over cleaning and probably am. But mine honestly do not over mark their cage. They mark me up good if they smell another glider on me. agree

I am nuts about things being clean- I can't help it. I don't like them walking on pee and poop. We don't let our dogs walk in their messes why would we our Sugar Gliders?

I am not saying I sterilize their cages everyday I just wipe them down so they also are not sticky and yucky from their pee. And that old food is not stuck to everything because they like to shake off their paws and food goes everywhere. I don't want them trying to eat old food that got stuck somewhere.

You got to admit if a cage is not cleaned often they can get sick from it.

Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: ] #922292
03/23/10 02:23 PM
03/23/10 02:23 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
Amy, my cleaning schedule is almost the same as yours, except I change the pouches every 1-2 days and I don't change/clean their pee pads everyday, but every 2-3 days. My gliders do not overmark either but then I leave toys and pouches with their scent on them, and they are used to having a clean cage.

Someone suggested I may be overcleaning and I asked my vet about it. He said no, I am doing just fine. The fact is that bacteria is everywhere, so no matter how clean your cage is they are going to be exposed to it in between cleanings.

I use Novaslan (diluted with water) that I buy at me vets office for daily wipe downs and antibacterial dish soap for the weekly clean and rinse.

I don't think that either of us are really overdoing it, IMO this is a very appropriate cleaning routine. A filthy cage can certianly cause a glider to become ill. As said above when a illness has been diagnosed it is important to keep the cage extra clean and disinfected.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: SugareeErin] #922304
03/23/10 02:47 PM
03/23/10 02:47 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I hope no one took my post wrong. I clean my cages. I was playing devils advocate.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: Dancing] #922327
03/23/10 03:17 PM
03/23/10 03:17 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Originally Posted By: Dancing
I hope no one took my post wrong. I clean my cages. I was playing devils advocate.

roflmao I don't think anyone thought that, at least I didn't! wink

Erin, can you tell me more about the stuff you get at your vet's office (Novaslan)?? Thanks.

Last edited by SariYappa; 03/23/10 03:17 PM.

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: SariYappa] #922387
03/23/10 05:39 PM
03/23/10 05:39 PM

A
AmyLynn
Unregistered
AmyLynn
Unregistered
A

Teresa I did not take your post wrong. I want everyones opinion even if someones opinion is different from mine. That's how we get things figured out.

I was just thinking about everything in a Sugar Gliders life that could make them sick and I of course thought about the cage.

None of my 15 Sugar Gliders have ever been sick. A couple of scares but no illnesses. Thank God.

Because I cry reading other people posts about sick gliders and just want to help figure things out.

Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: SariYappa] #922391
03/23/10 05:59 PM
03/23/10 05:59 PM
Kentucky
nancy1202 Offline
Glider Addict
nancy1202  Offline
Glider Addict

Kentucky
Originally Posted By: SariYappa
Erin, can you tell me more about the stuff you get at your vet's office (Novaslan)?? Thanks.
Novalsan is some great stuff! It's a disinfectant that comes concentrated, and is mixed 20:1 (20 parts water). I keep two spray bottles of it and use it for all of my critter cages.

~Nancy~
http://www.derbycitygliders.com

:grey: Jackson/Izzie, Lukas/Leilah, Mizuki/Elektra, Oliver/Ava, Ramon/Paloma, Charming/Snow
Rest of the menagerie: dogs, cats, corn snake, bearded dragon
Re: Would like your thoughts [Re: nancy1202] #922478
03/23/10 09:27 PM
03/23/10 09:27 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
thumb Thanks Nancy. I started using the Novaslan this month. I had asked my vet what would be better to clean and disinfect my cages with and he suggested it. They use it at my vets office to wipe things down. I get it concentrated with instructions on how to water it down.

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024