Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
You have to "take the bites" #925324
03/31/10 12:32 PM
03/31/10 12:32 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

For years I've read where you "have to take the bites" if you want to get your glider to learn not to bite.

I don't know about anyone else but that just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Never has.

I understand the idea that if they bite and bite and you don't go away, they will learn that biting doesn't work. However, WHY would anyone let any type of animal bite on them?

I have learned over the years to respect a glider's teeth and their ability to use them. Bites can be very painful and can easily become infected. YEARS and YEARS ago, Judie Hausmann told me about having to get stitches after being bit by a glider. Granted that was an EXTREME bite and most aren't like that but...I've been bitten. I've been "pit bull" bitten. It HURTS! After one such bite, my finger was infected and swollen for a month.

I do pull back when I see a glider getting ready to bite me. But I always go right back to what I was doing (petting them, clipping their nails, giving them their full body inspections etc). By pulling back yet still continuing with what I'm doing, I'm sending the same message that I'm not going to go away just because they try to bite me. But I don't have to take the pain in order to send that message.

Learning your glider's body language is key. Learn what they are doing just before they try to bite. It might be something really subtle like cocking their head or lifting one foot. If you learn their body language, you can interceed BEFORE they bite. The psst sound or redirection works wonders.

So, I'd like other's input on what I believe to be fiction.

Do you really "have to take the bites"?

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Dancing] #925335
03/31/10 01:03 PM
03/31/10 01:03 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
heck no..............pfffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttt pffffffffffffftttttttttt works for me along with redirection towards a toy, yogie or mealie, depends on what we are doing!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Cora] #925342
03/31/10 01:23 PM
03/31/10 01:23 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
So I am of the same mind as the two of you! Sitting there while you let an animal, any animal bite you doesn't make sense to me. To go right back to what I was doing before they tried shows them that you are not going to stop just because they try to bite. The redirection with a sound makes sense too. I am so glad I am not the only one who pulls away from sharp teeth coming my direction. I don't think we are teaching any bad behavior as long as we remember to go back to the task so they know we didn't stop because we are intimidated. Thank you for sharing!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: tjlong] #925346
03/31/10 01:34 PM
03/31/10 01:34 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
I never thought of it this way. Off course this will work, I learned the hard way, Never pull away!!!!! Take the bite!!! So that is just what I did, it worked, but if it is not neccessary, I sure won't take it again and again and again. I have to admit, I took only a few bites when I first got the boys. Now they never bite.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: tjlong] #925349
03/31/10 01:40 PM
03/31/10 01:40 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
I'm in the same boat...

I've seen people inexperienced with gliders stick their fingers in front of a gliders mouth.... well, if I were a glider, I'd bite too!

I don't give them the chance. If I'm approaching a new glider, I offer the back of my hand (in a fist) for them to smell, and then I either pet their back or go for the scoop method to pick them up. If I have a glider in my hands that I think may bite a finger, I don't let them get fixated on my fingers... you know, they'll scrape first, then bite gently, then harder, harder, harder... I just keep my fingers away from their teeth, and I don't ever try to restrain them by grabbing them. If I have to trim nails or do an inspection, I will use a fleece blankie from their pouch to reduce stress and put an extra layer between them and me.

I also agree that if a glider does sink its teeth into you, the best thing to do is to make the tsssk tsssk noise or distract them so they will let go... Otherwise, they can learn that biting makes the hand go away... or even worse, you will have flung your glider across the room with your jerk-reaction (I really hope no one has ever done this!)

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: oakley] #925353
03/31/10 01:51 PM
03/31/10 01:51 PM
st.louis, missouri
HappyToBeHere Offline
Glider Lover
HappyToBeHere  Offline
Glider Lover

st.louis, missouri
when i got my suggies i was told by the breeder to take the bite. it seems im not the only one whose been told that! which is good to hear, but bad in a way.

i personally dont get it either. but i was told by the wiser person who knew suggies and me with no experience to do it. so i did!

i think redirection is much better... so thanks! phew.

LIVE life to the FULLEST, that way you really have no regrets when its over..

Mom to Pickles :grey: Precious :grey: Gizmo :rtmo: Ducky :wfb: and Dizzy :leu:
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: HappyToBeHere] #925399
03/31/10 03:50 PM
03/31/10 03:50 PM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
What is the logic behind "taking the bite"? Why is it suppose to teach the glider not to bite and how does that teach a suggie to trust or bond to you?

Also the difference between a true hard bite and nips or a progressive nips to a bite, or communication nips, grooming nips. To new owners these all may be considered a suggie bite and can be un comfortable or even startling to a new suggie parent and then the reaction of the suggie. It seems to start a vicious circle or traveling down the wrong road to me.
Art

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: 1daddyglider1] #925416
03/31/10 04:47 PM
03/31/10 04:47 PM
Orlando, FL
Tish84 Offline
Glider Slave
Tish84  Offline
Glider Slave

Orlando, FL
I definitely agree with Art...there are different kinds of bites.

TISH

Lana (Siberian Husky)
2 Turtles
Bunny
:bb: :leu: :wfb: :rtmo: :cream:
Lily Fawkes Kingsley Ice Regulus Romeo Mimkin Saturn Jupiter Taiyou Kat Julianna

Glide Free My little Lily And Ice (Miss you every day)

www.fancysuggies.com
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Tish84] #925428
03/31/10 05:44 PM
03/31/10 05:44 PM
Elkhorn, WI
CSteele Offline
Glider Slave
CSteele  Offline
Glider Slave

Elkhorn, WI
Thanks for posting this! I am one of those that move at a turtles pace when I get to know a new glider! My friends laugh at me and I just say...well I've never been bitten yet (out of fear)! I know it will happen eventually though but I try not to give them any reason to bite. I really don't think I could just take it without pulling back anyhow! Their crabbing alone makes me jump everytime!

And what does that teach them anyway.... here we have a scared (newly arrived/rehomed) glider in a new surroundings and he does what instinct tells him to do when he is afraid and he bites...so when it doesn't work...does that instill trust or just surrender???????

I would rather have a glider come to me willingly because they trust me and not because they are just surrendering because their only defense doesn't work... frown

I know a bit extreme and I'm anthropomorphizing again, I'm sure....

the psssst! sound works for me when they decide to "taste" me once in a while smile

Celeste
262-325-7137

Spoonful of Sugars-Gliders & Gear
www.glidersandgear.com

:grey: Nissa, Moose, Faye, Dexter, Frankie,
:wfb: Shakespeare, Elsbeth, Isabeau, Dartanion,
:wt: Adonis
:rtmo: Lily & Lil Aphrodite (my wht mo)

gangel Squirrel & Damien

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: CSteele] #925458
03/31/10 07:23 PM
03/31/10 07:23 PM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
I would rather have a glider come to me willingly because they trust me and not because they are just surrendering because their only defense doesn't work...

I couldn't have said it better. I have learned with working with horses, you can "break" a horse or you can train a horse. Breaking them makes them surrender to your will. Training them takes longer but it is a process where you earn their trust and where they are in a good place where they want to please you. The bonds formed from trust will be so much stronger than those born of surrender.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: oakley] #925491
03/31/10 09:05 PM
03/31/10 09:05 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Originally Posted By: oakley
I also agree that if a glider does sink its teeth into you, the best thing to do is to make the tsssk tsssk noise or distract them so they will let go... Otherwise, they can learn that biting makes the hand go away... or even worse, you will have flung your glider across the room with your jerk-reaction (I really hope no one has ever done this!)

I've done this. I had a glider that hated me, I put my hand in to pet his mate and he jumped on my arm from across the cage and sunk his teeth in, he startled me and this was my first reaction-however; he didn't come off when I flung, his teeth were INBEDDED. After I got my composer back and tried the psssst, puffed air in his face-NOTHING worked to get him off of me. I finally had to grab him around the middle and PULL him off my hand.

I had 5 bleeding bite wounds from that encounter. He (and his mate) has since found a home that he is happy in. It's been reported that he is now the sweetest bra baby ever. YAY!

I believe in taking the bite however, but I don't look at it like "their only defense isn't working" I look at it like they can bite me and learn that my hand won't go away and won't hurt them. smile
After they realize that my hand won't hurt them they settle down. That's how I look at it at least, but I can understand where all the rest of you are coming from. grin

Allie
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Dancing] #925528
03/31/10 11:07 PM
03/31/10 11:07 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Quote:
I would rather have a glider come to me willingly because they trust me and not because they are just surrendering because their only defense doesn't work...

I couldn't have said it better. I have learned with working with horses, you can "break" a horse or you can train a horse. Breaking them makes them surrender to your will. Training them takes longer but it is a process where you earn their trust and where they are in a good place where they want to please you. The bonds formed from trust will be so much stronger than those born of surrender.

agree agree agree If I have a glider trying to bite me, it tells me two things: 1. They're terrified of me. 2. I'm going waaaaay to fast for their comfort level.

For me, putting the glider in the position to bite, is absolutely, positively wrong, wrong, wrong. It does nothing to earn their trust. In fact, I think it would make them fear me even more because I took away their only means of protection.

I absolutely LOVE earning the trust of these special, amazing and incredible beings. Taking baby steps not only gives me time to watch them slowly learn to trust me, but it also give me a time to learn how they normally act, so when something is wrong, I'll know it immediately.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: suggiemom1980] #925534
03/31/10 11:40 PM
03/31/10 11:40 PM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

My gliders don't bite out of fear, so I don't really get it. I have one that bites because she wants to be left alone... Miss Fat Donna! (Yes Roya, I said it again! LOL). She doesn't want to be messed with. Pretty much ever. I have learned to respect her personal space and interact with her on HER terms.

Bella NEVER bites. She fights like a demon during nail clipping, but I wouldn't even know that girl has teeth if I didn't see her eat pine nuts on a regular basis.

Then we have the trio... they bite to play. I SWEAR!!! None of them have ever bitten hard enough to break the skin, so I pretty much laugh it off. Merlin gets a bit rough with the knuckle chewing sometimes and I have to distract him, but he doesn't cause pain... often. LOL

Bottom line is this: If they are biting, there is a REASON. And if you jerk your hand back automatically every time someone bares their teeth they WILL figure out that if they bite then you will go away. Which means they will never get to trust you, and the important things will never get done like: nail clipping, checking for injuries, feeling tails for boo-boos, checking pouches for infection, looking at teeth when your glider is eating weird (or not at all).

If your glider bites you: don't yank away like you got something hot, take your hand away in a controlled motion, but go back to what you were doing; make the snake noise; blow in their face; distract them with a feather or treat... Hey, my laughter was initially a nervous reaction. But I now know it works as a distraction. It works for us.

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: ] #925544
04/01/10 12:17 AM
04/01/10 12:17 AM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Originally Posted By: BelladonnasMom
If your glider bites you: don't yank away like you got something hot, take your hand away in a controlled motion, but go back to what you were doing; make the snake noise; blow in their face; distract them with a feather or treat... Hey, my laughter was initially a nervous reaction. But I now know it works as a distraction. It works for us.

agree

Allie
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #925602
04/01/10 07:36 AM
04/01/10 07:36 AM

H
Hapiee
Unregistered
Hapiee
Unregistered
H

This was a very helpful topic for a new glider person. My girl, Luna, bit when I first got her and actually drew blood once (my husbands finger not mine). I was not able to just leave my hand in place and let her bite me. My instinctive response was to pull my hand back. With time and carrying Luna around in a bonding pouch all the time she has stopped biting though she will still nip every once in awhile. I didn't know about the psssssssst sound but will certainly incorporate that into my bag of tricks.

What can I say - I love this little girl so much, she brings me a lot of comfort in my mourning process. Who would have known.

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: ] #925904
04/02/10 01:27 AM
04/02/10 01:27 AM

4suggies
Unregistered
4suggies
Unregistered

Ugh! I got one of those pitbull-type bites not long ago. Looking back, it was entiely my fault. Glide was riding on my shoulder as I did my housework. I put him back into the cage and without thinking, reached into another cage to hang a sleeping pouch back up from earlier in the day. The second my hand touched the bag, Jett came flying out of the pouch and latched on. I didn't even see him come out, he was so fast! I ground my teeth for what seemed like forever as I tried to figure out how to remove him. He had just been introduced to my mosaic female and was just protecting her. I KNEW BETTER! Now, let me ask you this: how do you remove a glider when you are in this situation? I really don't like sitting there hopeing he will let go, but I am afraid of hurting him if I do anything. This was the first bite that I have ever taken. I have always been able to read body language and use treats to avoid this before.

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: ] #925972
04/02/10 11:03 AM
04/02/10 11:03 AM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
Crabbing is your first warning of a scared lunging biting, if you don't listen and stop moving forward. Until the suggie calms down or you move slower so they can see you.

Nipping or grooming are not always a sign of moving too fast as it can truly be a form of communication, that they want something.
Bambi will nip me through the pocket pouch when she wants out for a drink, potty, or treat. Once she gets it she goes right back to sleep and never crabs at me.
Pin head nips if he is tired of being showed off after a few times and will get a little harder if I don't listen to what he is telling me. Other times he is like a little ham as he loves to show off and meet people. He totally learned to bond by watching other gliders being handled as he was a biter, now he truly communicates when enough is enough. He was also surrounded by a group of kids and they were grabbing him over the top and he was loving by chirping, chittering, and how he acted. I stopped the grabbing as we were surrounded by persons that wanted to know more about suggies(hard to answer questions and watch your glider at the same time)
Then Jester and Jelly: They like to lick my hands, neck, ears alot. But they use to lick a few times and then nip(like a dog that flea nips) like pulling my skin slightly up. It was not scared, aggressive, it is cleaning me or grooming. Thankfully he just licks and skips the nips.
Kay Kayand Suggie: They are my dancers(sqwaggle dancing or "booty dancing) They mark/claim/initiate me on my back and the reason I think it is a ritual or accepting me into their family is because when they are done I get a light pinch on my ear lobe and they purr lightly in my ear. My males that MARK their territory do not pinch my ear. Same behavior possibly two diff meanings. But when they start sometimes(Kay Kay) will bite the material on my shoulder. She has learned that a ett ett kayy kayy makes her stop for a second or Psst(if the other doesn't work) She looks in my eyes and she will wiggle her behind a time or two. I say with sweet high pitch voice good girl and pet her lightly on her back and then she dances without the nips or bites. We communicate but her nips are not scared.

For me I want to know why they crab, bite, or if it is something that I have done that caused them to be scared I stop and let them calm down and get relaxed.
Even holding babies away from parents for the first time. If I see a certain movement that they do that if I continue is going scare them, I stop until they relax. Even if talking to them gets a crab, I will try diff loudness, softness, and no talking to start out with until they show me that they are more comfortable around me. I may say only one word, one little pet, offer a live treat. What ever works and what ever makes the suggie comfy and calm around me so we can bond together. I take my ques from my suggies behavior, sounds, movements, body language. I always have for years as that is why I started handling moms and babies together. If you would of seen how Suggie acted when her baby cried and she had this look in her eyes as to say why did you do that to my baby as she picked it up away from Paulette and placed it in my hand. She had a look of distrust and her body was not in a relaxed position for a few seconds until she ran off to play. It broke my heart that she saw us as somebody scaring her babies and I promised her that I would try to never do it again to any suggie. Hard promise to keep to never scare a sugar glider, but I try...
Art
I posted this in a diff area but thought it might help as to what "taking a bite" to a grooming, communication nip.

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: 1daddyglider1] #926014
04/02/10 12:36 PM
04/02/10 12:36 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
I also believe there are more reasons gliders bite than just being scared.

One of my gliders bites me if she doesn't appreciate the way I'm holding her. She's bonded to me and is not afraid of me, but she still bites. I don't have to pull away with her or keep my hand in the exact place it's in. I simply adjust how I'm holding her to make her happier.

My glider Emmett gives me love bites. He puts his whole mouth around my finger and bites down very gently and then lets go and continues to cuddle with me.

You have to look at each individual situation with a glider and biting. Not EVERY bite means a glider is terrified. If I were to pull away when Emmett bites me it would either startle him and have the opposite effect, or it would curb his attempts to show me affection. So I 'take' his bites. Same with my other glider, I 'take' her bites, and adjust my holding situation accordingly.

I've had new gliders calm down much faster when I simply leave my hand where it's at and allow them to bite me- I don't keep advancing so I don't scare them- but I keep it in place until they calm down. I've also backed off when they bite me (my first gliders) and it took me much longer to earn their trust.

These are my experiences. I'm not saying any way is the right way to go- but this is what works for me. grin

Allie
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #926022
04/02/10 12:58 PM
04/02/10 12:58 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

I was referring to just when bonding. At least, that's my experience and being a rescue, I have the opportunity to bond with a lot of gliders who are terrified and try to bite to protect themselves.

I've found, concerning bonding, if I go slow, I won't get bitten.

I do have gliders who like to nip/lick. Abeje does it best. I'll have my hand in her pouch and she'll reach out and gently nip me, then immediately lick the same spot. I believe she's showing me she's still timid, but wants to be bonded to me.

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: suggiemom1980] #926043
04/02/10 02:02 PM
IL (St. Louis area)
StitchsMom Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
StitchsMom  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

IL (St. Louis area)
My view on taking the bite have shifted over the years. I used to think that if I pulled away, I was showing the glider that a bite won't deter me. However, I've also learned that just analyzing the situation generally puts me to blame for any bite I receive. If I can avoid getting the glider into the position to want or "need" to bite me, I don't get bitten.

~*~Jenny and the fur kids~*~
>>> Sugar Glider Slave <<<
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: suggiemom1980] #926044
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
One of my gliders bites me if she doesn't appreciate the way I'm holding her. She's bonded to me and is not afraid of me, but she still bites. I don't have to pull away with her or keep my hand in the exact place it's in. I simply adjust how I'm holding her to make her happier.

My glider Emmett gives me love bites. He puts his whole mouth around my finger and bites down very gently and then lets go and continues to cuddle with me.

See, I don't consider those as bites. In your first case, that is more nipping (unless she is drawing blood) and letting you know she isn't happy.

In Emmett's case, again, that isn't a bite. That is a show of affection. Again, showing you he could hurt you if he wanted to but would rather love on you.

I consider bites to be those that are done out of fear, real displeasure (such as some of mine when I'm clipping nails), discomfort (when they are in pain) or agression or protectiveness (such as when they are protecting a mate or their joeys). Bites to me are when they are hard enough to draw blood or cause real pain to me.

Nips are different. Abeje, the nip and then lick...that is her showing you she COULD inflict pain on you but she loves you enough not to.

620-704-9109

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Dancing] #926097
04/02/10 04:24 PM
04/02/10 04:24 PM

H
Hapiee
Unregistered
Hapiee
Unregistered
H

So many gliders so many personalities. I really had thought I had done my research on gliders before becoming a glider mommy. I have quickly learned I barely scratched the surface. Now we are in line to adopt a playmate for Luna and can hardly wait. I will go slower with him then I did with poor little Luna.

My daughter was killed seven months ago and I find holding and talking to Luna so warm and comforting. It really helps a lot on the bad days. My grandson, who was the real reason for adopting a glider, has not met her yet. He doesn't want to leave his daddy's side so won't come over. I know that when he does the gliders will help him come out of the shell he has build around himself. 8 and 10 year old children should not watch their mother get hit by a semi. I am sure these wonderful little creatures will make a big difference in their lives.

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: ] #926224
04/02/10 11:37 PM
04/02/10 11:37 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Hapiee
So many gliders so many personalities. I really had thought I had done my research on gliders before becoming a glider mommy. I have quickly learned I barely scratched the surface. Now we are in line to adopt a playmate for Luna and can hardly wait. I will go slower with him then I did with poor little Luna.

My daughter was killed seven months ago and I find holding and talking to Luna so warm and comforting. It really helps a lot on the bad days. My grandson, who was the real reason for adopting a glider, has not met her yet. He doesn't want to leave his daddy's side so won't come over. I know that when he does the gliders will help him come out of the shell he has build around himself. 8 and 10 year old children should not watch their mother get hit by a semi. I am sure these wonderful little creatures will make a big difference in their lives.

PM sent

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #926255
04/03/10 02:33 AM
04/03/10 02:33 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

Yep yep... total agreement here!

Donna will bite the CRUD out of me if I put my hand in her pouch. I mean grab with both hands and go for bone buddy! I do not believe she is scared of me though. I think she simply does NOT want me to put my hand in her pouch and corner her. If she can see a way out, she's fine, and will leave. She'll still crab her head off, but she won't bite if she can get away from my hand. If she was afraid of that hand she would NOT hold onto my fingers with both hands whenever I offer treats. Nope, not fear from this girl making her bite. Her biting is telling me, "You are invading my space now GET OUT!". LOL No amount of gently pulling away, talking, blowing, hissing or anything will stop her from doing this after living with me for more than a year and a half.

Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: ] #926424
04/03/10 05:53 PM
04/03/10 05:53 PM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
My gliders would nip me out of curiosity when I first adopted them (not fear, they would approach and climb on me and sniff, lick, and nip), but I don't think I was ever bitten in any sense of fear/aggression/discomfort. I assume gliders can be similar to rodents in the sense that they may "explore" with their mouths, particularly when young or in a new situation, but I can't be for certain.

Sabarika
Photography
Re: You have to "take the bites" [Re: Sabarika] #927115
04/06/10 10:31 AM
04/06/10 10:31 AM
st.louis, missouri
HappyToBeHere Offline
Glider Lover
HappyToBeHere  Offline
Glider Lover

st.louis, missouri
I think for new glider owners, like myself, its simply that i havent learned all the different types of bites! My girl Precious now grooms me, but the first few times i thought she was biting me. But shes 'nipping' me and licking. Hasnt drawn blood so im glad she kept doing it. Because at first id feel her teeth and freak out like oh [censored] a bites coming and id pst her. she'd stop and go away.

It never registered to me that shes on my hand, looks relaxed, and is sniffing me. I just felt teeth and thought oh boy. Now i let her and just deter her if she starts grooming me too hard!

LIVE life to the FULLEST, that way you really have no regrets when its over..

Mom to Pickles :grey: Precious :grey: Gizmo :rtmo: Ducky :wfb: and Dizzy :leu:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024