Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Remaining Glider After Death of His Cagemate #925492
03/31/10 09:13 PM
03/31/10 09:13 PM

L
Lexie
Unregistered
Lexie
Unregistered
L

Hi,

I have been caring for two un-neutered males... Unfortunately one of them died about a week and a half ago. The remaining one seems to be doing okay, given the circumstances. According to the vet he is just fine physically. At first, he wasn't eating as much and was sleeping a lot more than usual, but now he is eating a healthy amount and gradually returning to his normal level of activity.

I have been watching them for a friend of mine, and after she found out what happened and gave it some thought, she asked me to find a good home for him. I have grown quite attached to the little guys myself, and I would love to be the one to keep him, but the fact is I was only prepared to care for them on a temporary basis. Right now I have plenty of time to spend with him at night, but my schedule changes about every four months, so that's going to change as well. I hate to say so, but even if I get him a companion, I simply don't think I will be able to give him (or them) the quality of care that he deserves.

So, I have several questions. Any advice will be much appreciated. First of all, I want to do whatever is best for him... So, if I need to rehome him, what is the best way to do it? Other than going with my gut feeling, and asking a bunch of questions about diet, habitat, etc. from anyone I consider giving him to... how do I ensure that he is going to a good home? Also, I don't want to get anything out of rehoming him -- I just want to make sure he will be happy and well taken care of -- but I know with cats and dogs and such it is sometimes best to charge at least a small fee to ensure that they aren't being taken by someone who won't be willing to invest financially in their well being in the future. Is this the case with sugar gliders as well, or is it typically safe just to pass him on without worrying about that sort of thing?

I know that finding him a new home will be a lot of stress for him, and that he has suffered a pretty big trauma and a large amount of stress already. How long should I keep him and allow him to adjust before attempting to find him a new home? As long as is necessary is fine with me; I will find a way to make it work, no matter what kind of time frame we are looking at. As I said, I want to do whatever it takes to minimize his stress levels and keep him happy and healthy; I just don't think I can truly give him the level of care he deserves in the long term.

This is all I can think of to ask at the moment, but if there is any other advice you have, I will appreciate it!

Re: Remaining Glider After Death of His Cagemate [Re: ] #925517
03/31/10 10:29 PM
03/31/10 10:29 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
wave Lexi, I have to agree in the fact that this little guy has gone through a tremendous amount of changes in such a short period of time. To up root him again at this point, worries me in the fact that he might not be able to withstand another drastic change.

I believe that he's doing as well as he is due to your loving and compassionate care. If at all possible, I would strongly consider keeping him, and make adjustments as they need. Most gliders will adjust to changes (in their own secured environment), so if your schedule changes, but yet if you are still able to provide him with the proper care and attention, I would say to work with that.

Have you considered possibly getting him another cage mate? This would certainly help to fill that void in his little world.

If none of the above feels right to you, than it would be best to find him another home right away, with hopes that who ever does take him, will be able to provide him with the care that he's grown accustomed to.

I would only allow him to be placed in a home that's within reasonable driving distance. Set up an interview with the prospective owners, so that you can meet them first hand.

I hope things work out for the best. Good Luck. I will keep good thoughts coming your way.

Re: Remaining Glider After Death of His Cagemate [Re: ] #925527
03/31/10 11:05 PM
03/31/10 11:05 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Contact JackieChansMom on here, I think that is how she spells her SN. She does has the most experience in rehoming gliders. She will be able to help you with all your questions.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Remaining Glider After Death of His Cagemate [Re: LSardou] #925900
04/02/10 01:16 AM
04/02/10 01:16 AM

L
Lexie
Unregistered
Lexie
Unregistered
L

Feather -- Thanks for that; I will definitely see what she has to say.

LSardou -- Thanks also to you, again, for your advice. The thing is, the next couple of months I will be in town, but after that I'll be transferring to another city and I will be gone practically every week Mon-Fri. My husband will be home, but he really flat out doesn't like the glider; he never wanted me to take them in to begin with... So he would be willing to feed them while I'm gone, but wouldn't be willing to spend time with them.

With that in mind... If he had a new cagemate to play with, do you think he would be better off remaining here with very little human interaction most of the time, or in another good home with more interaction but the stress of having to adapt to the new environment? If it matters one way or another, he is one of the more friendly and trusting gliders I've seen... very outgoing and willing to love on just about anyone that comes around.

Re: Remaining Glider After Death of His Cagemate [Re: ] #925971
04/02/10 11:03 AM
04/02/10 11:03 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Lexie, with the schedule you have described, I honestly believe he would do better in a home that has time to give him. With limited human contact, he won't get much time to play outside his cage (if any at all) and bringing in another glider as a companion only condemns that companion to the same lonely fate.

It is not easy to let them go, especially once we become attached to them but we have to do what is best for the gliders, not what may be best for us.

I've had so many gliders through my home over the years and some of those the last thing in the world I wanted to do was let them go but when you find a home that can give them everything they need, including the time and devotion they deserve, it is the best thing, even if bitter sweet.

I do suggest when looking for a new home for him, either have him neutered before you place him or make sure (through a contract) that the new owner will have him neutered and not use him for breeding.

If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Remaining Glider After Death of His Cagemate [Re: Dancing] #926510
04/04/10 12:45 AM
04/04/10 12:45 AM

L
Lexie
Unregistered
Lexie
Unregistered
L

I will start looking for a home for him... Hopefully somewhere nearby where I'll be able to keep up with how he's doing. I wouldn't have thought about someone using him for breeding; I'm glad you mentioned that. Thanks for your input.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024