Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! #938649
05/03/10 10:54 PM
05/03/10 10:54 PM
Washington State
Durbimad000 Offline OP
Joey Member
Durbimad000  Offline OP
Joey Member

Washington State
Did you introduce your glider to you cat(s) or dog(s, and how?

( dont have a glider yet and just super curious! )

In love with my new babies Shark and Shrimp! :grey:
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: Durbimad000] #938650
05/03/10 10:55 PM
05/03/10 10:55 PM
Washington State
Durbimad000 Offline OP
Joey Member
Durbimad000  Offline OP
Joey Member

Washington State
p.s not sure if this si the right area to post this question

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: Durbimad000] #938665
05/03/10 11:09 PM
05/03/10 11:09 PM

J
jennifer
Unregistered
jennifer
Unregistered
J

sorry, I dont have any other pets, well besides fish, lol. I just wanted to say hi from Oregon..... smile

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: ] #938713
05/03/10 11:43 PM
05/03/10 11:43 PM
GA
Sabarika Offline
Glider Slave
Sabarika  Offline
Glider Slave

GA
Hey there! It would be in the gliders' best interest to NOT introduce them to other animals in your house, and here's a few reasons why:
Cats and dogs will see gliders as a prey animal. Even if they are well-trained and never chase squirrels or mice or anything the instinct is still in them and a glider moves very quickly and randomly, plus they are so small that a dog or cat could accidentally hurt them just by stepping on them or trying to pick them up in their mouth.

The presence of your dog or cats giving the gliders too much attention could stress gliders, especially new arrivals. Gradually introduce them in the same room (introduce as in: let the dog/cat in the room for short periods while the gliders are asleep and awake but don't let the cat or dog bombard the cage/climb on the cage/bark at it). If they are in the same house they will get used to each others' scent but don't just take a glider out and present it to your cat[s]/dog, that could be a disaster! A glider could jump down and run away or be eaten/killed very easily.

I hope that helps, there is a good discussion in the Fact or Fiction section of the forums here that you should check out!

Sabarika
Photography
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: Sabarika] #938735
05/04/10 12:01 AM
05/04/10 12:01 AM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

I have two cats and two dogs as well as six sugar gliders. My cats and dogs don't seem to care about my gliders. I don't let me gliders and other animals close to each other. Even though they don't pay any attention to my gliders when they are in their cages I still don't totally trust them. Cats and dogs can and will go by instinct. Even the calmest will chase a small animal. It's not safe to allow your gliders and other animals to "play" together. If you do that you are asking for trouble. I'm sure you would feel horrible if something were to happen to your gliders.

Also, don't allow your other animals to harrass the gliders in their cages. It will stress them out which can make them self mutilate or have health issues.
My gliders actually harrass my dogs. It's really funny! When one of my dogs walks by my gliders will run to the bottom of their cage and crab at them. My dog then runs away terrified with her tail tucked between her legs and hides! My glider starts chirping like their laughing at my scaredy cat dog! Hehe. A big ole dog scared of a little tiny glider. It's priceless!
wink

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: ] #938744
05/04/10 12:12 AM
05/04/10 12:12 AM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
I have a toy poodle, a miniature poodle and an indoor cat who is extremely lazy and lovable. The poodles could care less about the glider cages. When I have my gliders in pouches with me I don't hold the poodles. I just think it is safer for the gliders and even though the poodles probably wouldn't even give them a second look, I figure the gliders will smell the dogs and it wills stress them.

The cat, on the other hand is curious about the gliders. I had one cage in a location where the cat could sit on a table and look in. I re-located the cage. I don't worry about the cat getting in but, once again, I don't want my little gliders sitting in their home thinking that there is lion just outside the door watching them!

I have a friend who had gliders and her little dog would jump up and down trying to see in the cages. The gliders would crab at him and didn't like him. I am fortunate my dogs don't care about what's in the cages and so when they are in the same room as the cages the gliders don't freak out.

I also keep my 15 month old away from my gliders. He know what they are and that they are tiny. He is very sweet and likes to touch them with one little pointer finger but it is done under close supervision and that is the only contact they have.

Our little suggies are just too fragile to take any chances! I don't even do tent time when my son is in the same room because he wants to go in the cage too!!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: tjlong] #938750
05/04/10 12:19 AM
05/04/10 12:19 AM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
We had a rottweiler (she died a year ago from cancer) and we had 2 cats, one died a little over a year ago from cancer(bad year for us) and we adopted another to keep the remaining cat company.

Our rottweiler liked to watch our suggies. She would just sit in from of the cage and stare at them. Never did anything mean but she was just completely entertained. It was funny.

Our original 2 cats were hand raised. I believe this is why they had absolutely ZERO prey drive. They you watch but really could have cared less about them.

The new kitty liked to swat at them. We corrected this with a water bottle. lol. and NO! and now she doesn't care. We had an issue with her with reptariums after she learned to leave the gliders alone. Since she couldn't see what was moving about in the rept she would try to catch it. She has no interest when she can see them.

I would not recommend 'introducing' a cat or dog to a glider, instead I recommend teaching them that the gliders are off limits. Like I said, I used a water bottle for the cat. When she would swat the gliders/try to play I would squirt her with water and tell her NO. I think training them to stay away is the safest thing to do. smile

HTH

Allie
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #938753
05/04/10 12:28 AM
05/04/10 12:28 AM

B
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
BelladonnasMom
Unregistered
B

No, definately no inter-species intros going on around here. LOL I have 3 cats and a dog, in addition to the 2 cages of gliders. The cats show very little interest in the gliders, except to sit and watch them run in their wheels ocassionally. But still, whenever I have gliders out of their cages, I try to keep the cats away. No matter how well behaved your cats are, they still have that "hunter instinct" in their mind somewhere and you just never know.

Now Bitzy, our chihuahua, is VERY interested. She wants so very badly to be friends with the gliders. But she has also learned that poking her nose through cage bars will cause PAIN!

Bottom line is, its just really best, for your glider's safety, to keep the different animals seperated. You would feel HORRIBLE if something happened to one of your babies.

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: ] #938815
05/04/10 04:57 AM
05/04/10 04:57 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Kozi Offline
Glider Explorer
Kozi  Offline
Glider Explorer

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My gliders have their own room and once in a while when I'm in there tidying up or gathering bedding to wash I'll let my dog and cat in with me, ONLY while I am there to watch and my kitty, Chi, loves to walk right up and sit next to the lower cages or stand on her back legs and look into the others. The gliders will come down to inspect, maybe grab at her and she just wags her tail and watches, sometimes noses at them but never opens her mouth or swats, she enjoys watching them I think and they enjoy trying to tease her, mostly. I've seen one of my girls trying to stick her tail out of the cage intentionally, as far as I could tell, when she saw the kitty was in the room! Naughty naughty glider. The pup just loves to watch, she'll sit and her head will go back and forth like nuts watching them jump and run, otherwise she has no real interest but she gets spooked if they come down to say hello to her. So cute. Beyond that, and ONLY supervised, it's generally advised against.. like others said, they are small, fast and.. mainly bite sized. Very very delicate.

Amber - Loving mommy to lots wonderful little gliders as well as a few other fuzzies and not so fuzzies! :D
(Three joeys currently in pouch! x3)

:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu:
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: Kozi] #938836
05/04/10 08:46 AM
05/04/10 08:46 AM

H
HeatherB
Unregistered
HeatherB
Unregistered
H

I have 2 cats and a dog, and to be honest I don’t think face-to-face introductions are safe in most cases. However, I do think a mutual awareness and setting boundaries for cat/dog is essential. For example, dog is not permitted to bark at cage, and cat cannot
‘play’ with or climb on cage. One of my cats very much enjoyed playing with the gliders through the cages, and I quickly corrected the behavior with a firm no and a little water pistol. He now realizes that he isn’t in any shape or form allowed near the cages. My second cat completely ignores them in cages, but she certainly doesn’t ignore them when outside the cage and I would NOT trust her. Finally, there is my dog, who required no work or adjustments at all. She lacks prey drive and completely ignores gliders and my bunny in and out of cage. She is a very listless dog and rarely lights up. My neighbors make fun of me actually, because when she is in the backyard she will not budge when I call her unless I say the ‘F’ word: Food. At which point she will run to me and then she is done for the day. She is a beagle and the only thing that drives her is the ‘F’ word. :fall: The rest of the time she is napping anywhere she can, which is mainly in the way (hence the nickname: Speedbump). Under supervision, I will periodically allow her around the gliders when they are out. Mainly because their playroom is my bedroom and Miska likes to sleep in ‘her’ bed. She pays no heed to the gliders and sleeps as they bounce around the room. This isn’t so much a result of training or socialization, but her personality that is much like Doopy’s, the basset hound.

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: ] #938871
05/04/10 09:51 AM
05/04/10 09:51 AM

A
Aimee_K
Unregistered
Aimee_K
Unregistered
A

I have 8 cats - several of them have serval blood in them. The gliders have their own room that used to ALWAYS be off limits but I have recently started allowing them in there. They sleep on the cages and on the shelves above them and on the suggie fleece/PVC climbing toys. Some of the cats just like to stare so I let them. My creme-ino actually likes them and will run down to the bottom of the cage to try to grab them through the bars. My F4 Savannah female is my biggest hunter and she has to be monitored closely. She will stare intently at the cages for hours hoping to catch a glimpse of them. If I hear crabbing from the room - usually from my single white female, then everyone gets shooed from the room and they are usually shooed out in the evening after the gliders get up and start running around. I don't think that's it excessively stressful for the gliders, depending on the glider. My husband had our most tame glider out one day and our semi-blind cat was in their and the glider jumped and landed on the cat. The cat was a lot more scared than the glider. Basically, it depends on the cat/dog and on the gliders. Monitor super closely and see how each is reacting. smirk
Best of luck!

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: ] #938876
05/04/10 10:09 AM
05/04/10 10:09 AM
Luverne, Minnesota
B19 Offline
Glider Lover
B19  Offline
Glider Lover

Luverne, Minnesota
I don't let my gliders and dogs interact. My dogs will sometimes sit by the cage and watch them last night and wag their tail at them. But, my dogs are to scared to get close to the cage (even my lab haha) because my lil boy Teddy will run to the bottom of the cage and crab at them.

Brandi

Loving mother to:
:grey: "Ziggy" & "Teddy"
:rtmo: "Pebbles"
1 chocolate Lab: "Gracie Mae"
1 Min Pin: "Daisy Mae"
2 horses: "Scoots" & "Sisco"

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: B19] #938884
05/04/10 10:31 AM
05/04/10 10:31 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
My dog, Kona, will sit by the cage from time to time and poke her nose around to see where they are. If she scares one of my babies, they crab, then Kona cries, then all is well with the world. It's quite humorous to watch. But would I ever let them interact? Absolutely not. I don't care how calm or loving your other animals are, they have instincts and will react to those if given the opportunity. Sadly, many animals that wouldn't actually hurt your gliders will want to "play"...sadly, it's a much rougher play than would be the case with you and I. For me, it's an emphatic NO!

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: DCMuffin] #938896
05/04/10 10:47 AM
05/04/10 10:47 AM

J
Jens
Unregistered
Jens
Unregistered
J

I agree. My dogs don't even bother to look in the cage and I'm glad they're that way! When my two little girls come out to play its in the bedroom with the door closed and the dogs on the other side!

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: ] #938910
05/04/10 11:11 AM
05/04/10 11:11 AM
Delaware
PintoLady09 Offline
Glider Lover
PintoLady09  Offline
Glider Lover

Delaware
I don't know if it's just the breeds I have, but two of my 4 dogs would definitely eat my gliders if they ever met. The Australian Cattle Dog and my German Shepherd. My little 5 lb yorkie doesn't care too much about them, but I wouldn't trust her either. And my rescued pit puppy, well, she's just so offy she'd probably squish them.

I really don't think dogs and gliders should be friends. Before I moved into this house where my gliders have their own room, the cages were off limits to the dogs.

As for cats, my two cats are outside cats and very good mousers, I don't think they would know the difference between a mouse or a glider... it'd be the most expensive dinner they've ever had!

I personally would NOT recommend introducing gliders to any other animals except humans, even then, there are stupid ones. Just use caution with your gliders. They are a precious and fragile little creature that now depends on you to protect them.

Trina

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: PintoLady09] #938985
05/04/10 12:57 PM
05/04/10 12:57 PM
Southern Virginia
R
rdobbie23 Offline
Glider Addict
rdobbie23  Offline
Glider Addict
R

Southern Virginia
Ok no cats here, but 3 dogs, a rottweiler, a pitbull, and a bordeaux. The rottie LOVES the gliders, he visits every night. He has had a bear hug to his muzzle before from Petrie and he just sat there crosseyed.

Axle, the pit had an experiance with Peakers, where he got loose from the horrible vet tech (she was scared to death of him, and he is just so laid back and never crabs!) and Peakers was running up and down Axle's back while he just laid there in the corner waiting his turn for his OV.

Now the Bordeaux comes in durring feedingtime, but I think its more so to catch any crumbs that may fall than an interest in the gliders.

I don't think my dogs would hurt them, but I don't let them intereact face to face , just through the cages.

*Megan*

Owned by:
4 suggies :leu: Sucre & :rtmo: Bijou
:wfb: Bubbles & :rtmo: Baby Girl

Valley bulldog: Chassis
American Bully: Dink
Doberman: Sheba
American Bully: Grady
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: rdobbie23] #938989
05/04/10 01:04 PM
05/04/10 01:04 PM

C
Cr8zyanimalgirl
Unregistered
Cr8zyanimalgirl
Unregistered
C

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. My dogs don't care that they are here. They bark when my gliders bark beause they think it is someone here. LOL But my cats just sit and watch but the minute my gliders start to crab they run from them. I have never let anyone of my animals up close and personal with any of my gliders just through the cage wire. But not even that close to the cages.

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: Durbimad000] #939078
05/04/10 04:20 PM
05/04/10 04:20 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Originally Posted By: Durbimad000
Did you introduce your glider to you cat(s) or dog(s, and how?

( dont have a glider yet and just super curious! )

I have 4 cats. NO I did not introduce my gliders to them. Dangerous!

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: WintersSong] #939185
05/04/10 06:50 PM
05/04/10 06:50 PM
Washington State
Durbimad000 Offline OP
Joey Member
Durbimad000  Offline OP
Joey Member

Washington State
Thanks everyone, seems to me most animals dont mind haha smile and i know i would never just let my cat or dog just wonder around the cage, without supervison, I know that when my sis had a guine pig my dog smelt it but didnt know really much of it cuz we hid the fact there was a such thing living in the house and then she killed it (door was broken also..) and im also not sure if it would make a difference if we slowly introduced them day at a time?

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: Durbimad000] #939186
05/04/10 06:53 PM
05/04/10 06:53 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
Just remember that all it takes is one wrong move from your cat or dog and your glider is gone forever. ONE move..could happen in seconds.

It is not safe to introduce your cat or dog to your gliders.. I will never believe that it is. I've heard WAY too many stories of it ending in death for the glider.

Besides, your gliders really have no desire to play with the cat.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: WintersSong] #939192
05/04/10 07:02 PM
05/04/10 07:02 PM
Washington State
Durbimad000 Offline OP
Joey Member
Durbimad000  Offline OP
Joey Member

Washington State
Im not wanting them to play or anything just to tell them that the glider lives in the house and is okay to be here, but im deff not letting them near the cage, door will be shut 24/7 and closely watched so no dogggy is sneaking up the stairs.. x]

Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: WintersSong] #939204
05/04/10 07:23 PM
05/04/10 07:23 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I definitely agree that it is always better to be safe, than sorry and I don't advise introducing other animals to your gliders (or vice versa). But, I have a cat that gets along with them very well. She is one of Dakota's favorite places to go when he thinks he is 'escaping' from me in their room. He literally makes a b-line for her and hides under her haunches. All of my gliders grew up with Zoe (my oldest cat, and the one that lives part time in the glider room) and my two oldest gliders, Kira and Dakota, are very fond of her and vice-versa. Zoe even joins us during tent time some times.

I also had a dog, Pogo, that barked to let me know when Pascal got out. When I came home Pogo was barking and following him around the room so I knew about where he was.

The other dogs and cat that I have now, I wouldn't trust, nor have I 'introduced' any of them, except to teach them they are not allowed in the glider's room and whenever they show interest in gliders in pouch I sternly say 'Leave It' so they know they are not toys - and this will *hopefully* give them at least a moment's pause if one were to ever run by (that is how it worked with my first dog, but I also know he was special, as is my cat - extremely so).

I'm not going to say there is no one out there that has had good experiences with different types of animals and gliders, because it's not true. BUT...I will also tell you that many, many people have had horrible experiences with (many times) devastating and permanent consequences. There are a LOT of risks to glider ownership, you have to make your own decision about the temperament of your other animals AND your gliders.

If someone decides to take the chance, they also have to accept the responsibility for their actions if something bad should happen. I certainly do MANY, MANY things differently, with my gliders now, than I did 9 years ago when they became part of my life. But I also have many, many funny, cute, sweet stories because I was LUCKY nothing ever happened, and I know it.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: all you folks with a cat and dog and glider! [Re: sugarlope] #939252
05/04/10 09:09 PM
05/04/10 09:09 PM

P
platinumweims
Unregistered
platinumweims
Unregistered
P

The breeder I got my trio from had pugs. One of the gliders use to tease the pug, so when they came to my house he thought he could do the same to my Weims. I have my trio in the living room. We dont use that room and the dogs have never been allowed in there.
Both my Weimaraners hunt so everyone thought I was nuts bringing 3 suggies home. They were allowed to smell a cage set I took out of the rep to wash and since then my youngest weim loves to carry around one of the suggies blankets
The only thing that keeps the weims and gliders seperate is a baby gate and LOTS of training

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024