Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping #899396
01/29/10 07:39 PM
01/29/10 07:39 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
I have to say without a doubt, although they were a small bit more expensive to use, they are by far the BEST airline I have used to ship my gliders and I can only pray that I can use them in the future. Let me tell you about my experience with them.

As most know I just recently moved from Texas to Florida. Well, I had a joey that was ready to ship when we got down here. It would be going to Indiana. I called Continental, as they are the ones I normally use, and they only had one flight going out like the next day and it was leaving at 8 in the morning and not arriving until 1130 pm. No...would NOT do that to one of my gliders. I understand there may be a layover, but I am not going to take the chance with that long of a layover. They said they wouldnt have another *animal flight* available for some time and plus weather was playing a factor we had to watch...
So, after talking with the owner, and explaining how after TWO BAD experiences with American how I would NEVER use them again, he suggested I call Delta. Hmmm...never heard anything about them, so let me call and see their requirements.

First of all, one of the PLUSES I got from them...a health certificate IS A REQUIREMENT. I am SOOO happy to see this. You see with American nor Continental do you HAVE to have one, and Im sorry, but if you are going to be shipping a live animal I think it is a MUST HAVE prior to shipping. Ok, one brownie point...

Next, I asked about where they are kept.

They are kept indoors in a heated area until the plane is ready to go, they are then transferred to a heated van to be taken to the plane. Animals are the last things loaded so that way they dont have to sit in the cargo space with the hatch open too long. Once the plane lands, they are the first ones off, they are loaded into another heated van and either taken to their next plane or inside the heated area to wait for their next flight or owner to pick up. Brownie point 2

If an emergency should arise, they will contact one of the people they have numbers for and find out what they would like done with the animal so the animal does not have to stay overnight at the airport. Although I ship during the day,this was still comforting to know for a *just in case* scenario. Brownie point 3

When I got to the airport to drop her off, the first thing I was greeted with was a Hi there, how are you today? And a smile. Hmmm...ok...kind of odd...but a good odd. FIRST question they asked after I said hi I have a reservation for a sugar glider, was do you have the health certificate. After I said I did, they asked me how the little baby was doing? (brownie point 4)

After doing the paperwork which really surprised me, since they already had it ALL completed and just waiting on my signatures, they assured me I did not need the heat warmer packs and they do not allow the animals in any kind of cold weather other than being unloaded from the van to the plane (brownie point 5). They then double checked to make sure she was snuggled in tight and made sure the paper was packed around her kritterkeeper nice and snug so she didnt feel any *bumpies* as they called it...(brownie point 6)told me to feel free to call if I had any concerns throughout the day, and then pulled up the weather to let me know what the weather would be like for her trip to Indiana...now that may have been a personal touch but one that won me over.

I got a report from the owner about how they were when he went and picked her up and this is what he told me...

[quote]I had a great experience w/ airline. When I got there they had to call terminal & have her brought over. The building you pick cargo up at was not heated so they dont keep animals there. They only bring them, over after the receiver checks in. And he said it would take a couple extra minutes because they had to hook up a heated pull cart. We have a new terminal at airport so cargo location is a good 15 minutes away and they pull those carts behind a tractor-like vehicle & a few of them are enclosed & heated & thats what she was brought over on. There was actually a man sitting down waiting for his 7 boxes & he was getting impatient & the guy at the desk told him it would be a few minutes because transporter had to hook up the heated cart. When the transporter arrived out back, the driver grabbed her & brought her to me first(before the other gentleman got his boxes), when man complained the airline worker said "Sir, this is a live animal and takes priority before all other cargo, which is a service the shipper pays extra for." [/quoted]

Yep that is a BIG brownie point as well.

I HIGHLY recommend Delta/Northwest for shipping your babies. They did a WONDERFUL job not only with my baby, but also with both the new owner, and myself. They also got her there without being as upset as others I have shipped using Continental.

Yea Delta!! clap dance

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: Srlb] #899405
01/29/10 07:50 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
sounds really good, Peggy! What was the cost and do you know if they ship everywhere in the US?

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: Srlb] #899406
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
That is awesome Peggy. Glad to hear how well they treated your baby. That's the way our babies should be cared for on any airline.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: Trigger] #899407
01/29/10 07:52 PM
01/29/10 07:52 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Lynn, I believe Delta/Northwest travel all across the US. They are pretty big up there.

With taxes and all it came up to $211 and some change. But with service like that I dont mind at all.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: Srlb] #899427
01/29/10 08:18 PM
01/29/10 08:18 PM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
So happy for everyone's experience ~ especially that precious cargo heart

Thank you for sharing your whole story! *Filed with usefull information I may need at a later date* grin

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: DirtyPaws] #899442
01/29/10 08:42 PM
01/29/10 08:42 PM
Michigan
G
gliderma Offline
Serious Glideritis
gliderma  Offline
Serious Glideritis
G

Michigan
I know they are big here but wasn't sure if they transport animals on every flight. At $211 it is just about the same as Continental, but sounds way better!

Lynn Martel
616-272-4374
989-400-5686
Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: gliderma] #899474
01/29/10 10:28 PM
01/29/10 10:28 PM
North AL
zookeeper18 Offline
Glider Lover
zookeeper18  Offline
Glider Lover

North AL
Thanks so much for the info! I only have 3 joeys left but, that sure opens up more options for finding good homes.

Theresa
Committed wife! (As in needs to be committed!)
Mom to 3 skin kids, 3 dogs,a cat, and 5 sugar gliders! Adam :wfb: , Apple :wfb: , Pita :wfb: , Zita :wfb: and Bobo :grey:

Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: zookeeper18] #899506
01/30/10 12:11 AM
01/30/10 12:11 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Good info!

Glad to know - sounds as if they are taking animal cargo very seriously indeed.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: ValkyrieMome] #899511
01/30/10 12:33 AM
01/30/10 12:33 AM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
I had a trio shipped to me last year about this time by way of Northwest and it was AWESOME!!!!

I checked out Continental first and the closest they land to me was Atlanta GA. Nope! That wasn't going to work for me at all! So then I checked out Northwest. They flew into Memphis (which was ALOT closer) in the time frame I wanted.

I left early that day to do some shopping since I never go to Memphis and decided to take my teenage daughter and her friend. Needless to say while we were at the mall, the airline called my cell to tell me that the plane had arrived early and I could come pick them up. Early as in an hour and a half early!

The people were SO friendly, it was a great experience and I also highly recommend using them if you can.

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: Sherri] #962750
06/22/10 07:58 PM
06/22/10 07:58 PM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
I know this was posted a few months ago originally... But I felt it was necessary for me to add my experiences with BOTH Continental and Delta:

Continental experience 1:
I had my first 4 gliders shipped together from Florida. When I arrived at the gate (same as where people come in), the lady had no idea where they were, and she finally came back and told me that there was nothing on the flight for me! I was panicked, first I called Alyse, and she had no idea either. It was 4:30 when they were supposed to arrive. After 15 minutes of panicked holding to be connected to someone to know [censored] happened, I was told, "our phones are down" (we were talking on them...duh!) and that the gliders missed their connection in Chicago and that they would get in at 9:30pm. When they finally came there was no place to check them out, so I had to borrow the lady's office to make sure everyone was okay. They were all traumatized and awake.

Delta Experience 1:
I needed to ship twin boys down to Birmingham, AL. First I called continental, but they would ship them through NJ to Atlanta, and no closer. I tried Delta and they said they could ship through Atlanta to Birmingham. We went with Delta out of convenience, but I was glad that we did. The place where I dropped them off is a seperate building where it was easy to get to. The people had questions, I had a health certificate, and they were very friendly.
The boys arrived on time and were picked up without mishap, wanting to play and be social that very night.

Delta Experience 2:
First, I arranged shipment to Michigan, and as the time got closer... i forgot! The buyer called me and I could not believe that i had forgotten. I called Delta immediately and re-scheduled the boys to get sent the next day. (I also gave the buyer $50 back for the inconvenience) The guys at delta were helpful and the boys arrived happy and friendly.

Continental Experience 2:
My breeder tried to find a way to ship my little Preston via Delta, but there wasn't time for the vet check before he was coming here. So we decided to send via Continental. He arrived on time, but that is all the good I can say about it. The animals for Continental arrive in the same place that oversized luggage does. And to my HORROR I watched the man who was unloading things THROW Preston's crate down the little ramp. My poor baby was traumatized, I took him out to check on him right away, and he was terrified. He crabbed at me each time he saw me for a month (but was fine with my husband!).

After those experiences, I am VERY hesitant to ever ship via Continental again. I want my babies to arrive comfortable and happy... not terrified and crabby!

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: wildlifeangel] #963236
06/23/10 01:40 PM
06/23/10 01:40 PM
Houston, TX
wclanton423 Offline
Glider Guardian
wclanton423  Offline
Glider Guardian

Houston, TX
Good to know about Delta. I wonder since I'm a child of a retiree if I get discounts on shipping just like I do for flights.

Whitney

~Southland Sugar Gliders~

Mommy to:
:grey: :rtmo: :leu: :wfb:
my dogs, Duke and Nikki
my cat Puma
my awesome bunny Swayzee

Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: wclanton423] #963256
06/23/10 02:23 PM
06/23/10 02:23 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Im glad you brought this back up. I also wanted to let everyone know that Delta is no longer *requiring* a health certificate to ship sugar gliders. Not sure why they stopped it, but for some I am sure that will be a convenient thing. :-)

I have a baby going to Texas on Friday, and yepper, we are using Delta!!

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: Srlb] #963326
06/23/10 04:37 PM
06/23/10 04:37 PM

J
JamieInWA
Unregistered
JamieInWA
Unregistered
J

I too used Delta to ship my girls from Texas to WA and had a good experience. Picked them up at the cargo center and all went well. Did need a health cert then, but we need one to ship into WA anyways. Importation laws.

Re: Delta/Northwest Airlines & Shipping [Re: ] #964042
06/25/10 08:10 AM
06/25/10 08:10 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Another reason I like Delta.....

I just took Dolly to the airport, her original flight was at 8:30 this morning. She was to arrive at 2:53 this afternoon.
The girl who works check in said, hey why dont I put her on this flight that leaves out of here in a half hour and she will get there at noon, that way we dont have to worry about the heat in Atlanta. OK!! sounds great!! So she zipped through the paperwork and called down, the guy was up there to pick her up to take her to the plane before we even finished with me paying!!

She also said she does not understand why they do not charge us the same fare as they charge for birds, since they require the same fragile care and weigh less than birds...she recommends that anyone that ships with them to at least ask when you call to make a reservation, and maybe if enough of us ask, they will change the shipping cost (that is how they were able to do away with the health certificate). Shipping for birds is only $93.00 a BIG difference from $209.00

Like she said, it cant hurt to ask....all they can do is say no you have to pay the 200 buckaroos....

Anywho, just another great experience I thought I would share!!

Peggy
Critter Love

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 368 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,576 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,161 UTAH
321,685 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024