Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Questions for breeders #970502
07/06/10 10:20 PM
07/06/10 10:20 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

What is more important to you...

Breeding for color?

Breeding for lineage?

Breeding for temperment?

What order of priority exists for you?

Would you retire a pair if their joeys don't match your priority list?

Also, do you think temperment is genetic or environmental or both, and if both, what percentages would you say influence the joeys? (say 60% genetics, 40% environmental)

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Questions for breeders [Re: Dancing] #970515
07/06/10 10:48 PM
07/06/10 10:48 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
All of the above are important to some extent. But...

1. Lineage
2. color
3. temperament

I put temperament at the bottom because 'I' feel that nearly any glider can come around with enough love and attention. We personally have a very crabby pair of gliders that produced a very crabby joey to start with- I spent a lot of time with him while he grew up and now he's my best bud. smile Very quite and sweet. Now if I had an outright MEAN glider- no we would not want to breed them.

Lineage is first and foremost important- healthy babies equal happy babies and happy owners. But since we enjoy breeding the colors- that is also important to us- but we breed colors with a high importance on lineage for the potential joeys. We're still looking for a mate for our platinum boy- mostly because there is only one line that I'm willing to pair him with. Very picky. lol

If a pair does not produce color but produces lovely babies and they have great lineage and temperament- no I would not retire. But if the lineage is faulty and they produce psychotic joeys- then of course yes they would be retired-even if they produce color. Although we wouldn't breed them at all if the lineage was faulty.

Hope that answers your question! smile

Allie
Re: Questions for breeders [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #970629
07/07/10 04:20 AM
07/07/10 04:20 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
clap

I agree. Temperment can usually be a controlled subject. Lineage is the MOST important, and when you are putting lineages together, you are looking to make colors, they go hand in hand. But you look for ways to make colors while protecting lineage.

Temperment is tough, I thought for a while that Adam and Eve's joeys would be mean because their first set were crabby. But then as I bonded better to Adam, he stopped crabbing at me, and the next set of joeys were SWEET. And I also learned that taking the mom out with the joeys can help crabby joeys to relax. (Eve is my angel)

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Questions for breeders [Re: wildlifeangel] #971232
07/08/10 02:20 AM
07/08/10 02:20 AM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

I would love more input if anyone would be kind enough.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Questions for breeders [Re: Dancing] #971647
07/08/10 07:59 PM
07/08/10 07:59 PM
Cincinnati, OH
tacasper Offline
Glider Guardian
tacasper  Offline
Glider Guardian

Cincinnati, OH
Lineage, color, temperment. I've seen even the crabbiest joeys come around with extra bonding time with me and staying with their parents a little longer.

I think that temperment isn't inherited as much as it is picking up habits that parents have taught them. Each one has their own personalities. I think the amount of time and love the parents give them makes an impact too. Most of my joeys are all sweet like their parents, but then you get the occassional crabby, unsure little one that needs extra time to feel secure.

I retire a pair when I feel like they are over-producing, or if they aren't interested in being parents any more, or any other reason it might not work out. They are my pets first. I have also bought a leu with some sketchy lineage and was mislead by a breeder, and decided to have him neutered. It's very important to improve each line.

Teri

Owner of lots of beautiful suggies!
:bb: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo: :cream: :plat:

My fabulous rescue Nanuk
And Kiesha waiting in heaven

And two OCD and neurotic bulldogs Capone and Aspen!

www.sugarhighgliders.com

Re: Questions for breeders [Re: tacasper] #971826
07/09/10 12:48 AM
07/09/10 12:48 AM
Kenosha,WI
J
jen102375 Offline
Glider Lover
jen102375  Offline
Glider Lover
J

Kenosha,WI
Linage,Temperment,Color for me smile

Slave 2
Hubby Jon
3 daughters Ellivia(13)Hanna(10)Alayna(6)
6 Suggies: Harley/Abby, Pongo/Pracilla, Cash/Charity
4 wonderful Rescues

Jen
262 748-4128 24hr help
www.thegliderboutique.com

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEY'S (THANK YOU) smile

Re: Questions for breeders [Re: jen102375] #971867
07/09/10 08:29 AM
07/09/10 08:29 AM
Youngstown, Ohio
TheGliderPlayroom Offline
Glider Slave
TheGliderPlayroom  Offline
Glider Slave

Youngstown, Ohio
I think to an extent, temperament is inherited; it may only be "learn by example", but I think the parents' temperament does make a huge difference.

I'd say that ultimately, temperament and lineage are equally important to me. Color not so much, but I also don't breed just to breed. I have 4 leus here, one is a retired female, the two males were neutered young, and the new girl will eventually be bred to a normal or WF. I have a creamino who will never be bred, and another creamino who will have a max of 4-6 joeys before I retire her, if not sooner. My mosaic boy is neutered, and my mosaic female will 99% not be bred. (If I get a creamino boy born here, I will be sorely tempted!) I generally only breed pairings that I myself want a baby from, and once I get that baby, I retire the pair. Right now, the most any of my females have had was 8 babies, and two of those dropped IP after the male was already neutered.

I am very lucky in that right now, both of my breeding pairs have given me all three- they are all incredibly tame and one pair produces babies that bra train themselves, one pair has very good lineage and the other has AMAZING spectacular lineage, and my possible leu het pair just proved out. If my possible creamino het boy proves out also, I will be over the moon! (And he'll also get neutered either way, poor guy lol.)

Helen
The Glider Playroom
PSG/Sugar Glider Database
Vice-President of the NE.O.B.B.C.
Re: Questions for breeders [Re: TheGliderPlayroom] #971947
07/09/10 10:46 AM
07/09/10 10:46 AM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
I've seen this for a bit and just didn't get how to answer it. Would I retire a pair for not having the color I wanted? Maybe I have to think about supply and demand it feels HORRIBLE saying that but I can't keep all my joeys, and if people don't think they are pretty enough to adopt I'm not going to fill myself up right? Would I retire if my parents had crabby joeys? Yup, I agree that you can tame down any glider and almost always bond with it, but I have enough joeys and pride myself on sending out sweet sweet babies. I had parents where the daddy had already been neutered because they had rejected all their joeys but then they accidently slipped a set in right before I neutered him, I was so scared they would reject them I didn't handle them as much as I should have and they were already naturally crabby, so those ended up being some very crabby gliders. But temprament of the parents doesn't always tell Zach and Abby, well Zach loves me and I him but he is still a LOUD CRABBY BUTT HEAD sometimes but his wifey is probably my favorite sweetest girls aside from ones I've kept but still my favorite and they have a 3/4 ratio of extremely sweet joeys I've had 1 for sure Zach out of all of them and a couple that if they hadn't been sent to the right homes could have turned into probably "mean" gliders. Now lineage.... would I retire a pair for bad lineage yes. Its a hard choice but I've had pairs that at the time I paired them lineage was great, now not so great. I'm at work so I will talk even MORE later but for me if I had to put it in order

Temprament and Color then lineage. I can only say that these are the most important because having the very best lineage is automatic. So its not something I have to put first because if they don't have good lineage well the game is up. It goes without saying my gliders have good lineage. But it does need to be said I'm sending out sweet pretty gliders tounge
Does that makes sense? Doesn't really matter anyway its all pretty equal.

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: Questions for breeders [Re: Laurens_Babies] #972011
07/09/10 12:49 PM
07/09/10 12:49 PM
Dancing Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Thanks to all that have replied. Please keep the replies coming. I'm gathering info for an article. Every answer helps!

620-704-9109

Re: Questions for breeders [Re: Dancing] #972013
07/09/10 12:52 PM
07/09/10 12:52 PM
Homestead, FL
Adri Offline
Glider Guardian
Adri  Offline
Glider Guardian

Homestead, FL
In my breeding program it is:

1. Lineage
2. Temperament
3. Color

Lineage is the foundation for healthy sound joeys. Temperament while it can be learned is most certainly genetic as well. Sweet even tempered joeys make for wonderful pets and happy owners. Color is important but I don't care how beautiful or rare the glider is, if it is not healthy and sweet then what is the purpose? Also a glider that has a good disposition is more likely to be part of the family and there for has a better chance of a loving and permanent home. JMHO

Adri

Mother of 2
Adrian, Sofie
Slave to many glidin' gliders

www.sugarsensation.com

Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved.
Re: Questions for breeders [Re: Adri] #972951
07/10/10 09:44 PM
07/10/10 09:44 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I think that lineage/color go hand in hand. Lineage is extremely important to me so we are not inbreeding gliders or reproducing health/genetic problems. Lineage also determines the outcome of potential color.

Whether you are breeding for color or not, lineage MUST be taken into serious consideration. So I guess that means lineage is most important to me. Color would follow, as they do go hand in hand.

Temperament, in my opinion, is partly inherited, and partly learned/environmental. So out of the three options, that would be the third.

I have had joeys here that I've handled on a daily basis and were sweet as can be, then go into a home as the crabbiest glider ever! (I did offer to take that on back btw. The glider has since bonded very well to that owner.) And, I've had the opposite. I had a set of twin boys that must have just hated me. Never stopped crabbing at me! When their new owner came here for the first time to pick them up, they crawled into a ball in her hand and fell asleep. To this day, they don't crab at her.

So, all that being said:
1. Lineage
2. Color
3. Temperament

Not sure if any of that rambling helped you out or not! LOL

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Questions for breeders [Re: GliderNursery] #972983
07/10/10 10:35 PM
07/10/10 10:35 PM
michigan
cryingoutloud37 Offline
Glider Guardian
cryingoutloud37  Offline
Glider Guardian

michigan
I am a new breeder but being on the receiving end of the joeys I am raising up to be breeders I would definitely say temperament is very important. Of course lineage should be most important gliders should not be inbred....but temperament follows. Especially since the gliders are first and foremost pets. They should be pet quality no matter what. Pet quality meaning handled daily and socialized. I have a couple gliders that just do not like people. Can I change that....maybe only time will tell. But nothing is more beautiful and sweet then a new joey who just curls up in your hand. I personally would pay extra for a sweet temperament joey! Seriously! It took me awhile and a-lot of glider purchases to realize color is just fur deep....... My most beautiful gliders were the cheapest ones! The sweetest ones............They are truly PRICELESS!

-Shannon-

If everyone put their problems in a pile, you just might want to grab yours back!

http://www.motowngliders.com/

Lots of Beautiful and Sweet Gliders

Six Skin Kids: Jake, Alie, Nick, Samantha, Ben and Luci
Re: Questions for breeders [Re: cryingoutloud37] #972992
07/10/10 10:56 PM
07/10/10 10:56 PM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
I have to go with temperament, color, lineage

I have actually neutered males and retired pairs due to temperament. I definitely feel it can be inherited.

I breed for color, specifically to explore new colors and improve existing lineage.

I will not breed any two gliders if the resulting joeys increase the inbred percentage. As for the percentage in the first place, I'm not picky with the parents as long as they and their lines are healthy (no sterility for me). My highest adult is around 6%, last I checked, and their joeys are under 1%.

That being said, I'm not a big breeder. With my recent loss of Mowgli I am down to one trio and one pair. I am very selective and do not breed specifically for profit so I can be very picky about the gliders I choose to have as my pets first and foremost and my breeders secondly.

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024