Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Glider legal in California #985844
08/03/10 01:17 PM
08/03/10 01:17 PM

S
sophie
Unregistered
sophie
Unregistered
S

Is it true that it's illegal to own gliders in California?

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #985847
08/03/10 01:19 PM
08/03/10 01:19 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
True, NOT legal in CA

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Trigger] #985863
08/03/10 01:30 PM
08/03/10 01:30 PM

S
sophie
Unregistered
sophie
Unregistered
S

So what do people do that live in Ca? Have a friend that is wondering....

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #985880
08/03/10 01:52 PM
08/03/10 01:52 PM

262jennifer
Unregistered
262jennifer
Unregistered

They don't own them or move to another state!

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #985887
08/03/10 01:56 PM
08/03/10 01:56 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
I believe the law states that exotics are illegal in CA. I won't ship to people there. I have been asked several times.
frown

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: tjlong] #985893
08/03/10 02:00 PM
08/03/10 02:00 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Can you even ship them there??? Will the airport accept illegal animals? Thats odd, I always assumed they wont allow you to ship them to an illegal state.

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Violet, Lavender & Indigo
Amaretto & Bailey
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :plat: :leu:
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Kayla] #985897
08/03/10 02:09 PM
08/03/10 02:09 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
See that is where the problem is! I can't even imagine that the airline would allow them to be flown in. People ask and I tell them 'no' because they are illegal.

I just want to throw it out there that people do ask. That tells me they haven't looked into what is and isn't even possible before they try to buy.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: tjlong] #985907
08/03/10 02:16 PM
08/03/10 02:16 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I know of a person who lives in Cali and she's got a lone glider and is wanting another glider shipped either by air or railroaded to her but so far, no luck.

I'm not sure how those people get vet care, or if they just don't, in a state they're illegal.

I know when I moved I avoided Cali because I had 2 species (chinchilla and gliders) that are illegal there and didn't want border officers to take my babies even though I was just passing through.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #985914
08/03/10 02:30 PM
08/03/10 02:30 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Thats really weird that an airline would accept them if theyre illegal in the state....
The law doesnt require vets to report illegal animals, plus why would they? Think about how much they could charge someone wanting to take care of their illegal pet, reporting them would lose that business. Its finding a vet that is knowledgeable thats probably tricky. And chinchillas arent illegal there to my knowledge, just ferrets and gliders. When I was visiting my aunt, who is a vet that ended up with a ferret from a client, we went to petco to buy something for it and they had a bunch of chinchillas in a glass cage.

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Amaretto & Bailey
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Kayla] #985917
08/03/10 02:35 PM
08/03/10 02:35 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
It is not the airlines' job to enforce the law. They'll fly anything that they accept on aircraft any where you pay to have it sent.

Good vets don't care about the law, either. They care about animal welfare and health. A friend's vet actually gave her pointers about keeping her ferrets "under the radar." A guy in the waiting room, also with his ferrets, oo'ed and ah'ed about her ferrets, then admitted he was a police officer.

The laws are there for GOOD reasons. Released exotics are destroying the entire eco-system in Florida. California doesn't allow agricultural imports, either! They are trying to protect their state from the kind of idiot that just releases an animal when they don't want it any longer.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ValkyrieMome] #985923
08/03/10 02:46 PM
08/03/10 02:46 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Very true, I know people in cali with gliders as well that always ask me for advice, I pointed them to GC but theyre afraid to post anything about them living in cali because they dont want to seem like "bad" glider parents. When theyre not, esp for researching them, feeding an approved diet, etc. They got them on craigslist. Its sad to know that the same craigslist problem exists in illegal states too.

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Amaretto & Bailey
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #985930
08/03/10 03:05 PM
08/03/10 03:05 PM

T
Tevina
Unregistered
Tevina
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: Megs
I know when I moved I avoided Cali because I had 2 species (chinchilla and gliders) that are illegal there and didn't want border officers to take my babies even though I was just passing through.

Chinchillas are legal to own in Cali. Even big chain pet stores sell them.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Kayla] #985933
08/03/10 03:10 PM
08/03/10 03:10 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: Kayla
theyre afraid to post anything about them living in cali because they dont want to seem like "bad" glider parents

It isn't the members of Glider Central's job to enforce the laws, either. However, sadly, many people can't remember exactly what is "their business" and what isn't. So, rather than offer helpful advice, which is possible even while NOT condoning someone break the law, they tend to get preachy. And in some cases, even make threats. Very sad - because, as usual, the ones hurt are the gliders.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ValkyrieMome] #985958
08/03/10 03:53 PM
08/03/10 03:53 PM
Spring, Texas
Trigger Offline
Glider Addict
Trigger  Offline
Glider Addict

Spring, Texas
A lot of times those preachy people are just concerned that someone is putting an animal in harms way.

What happens to illegal animals when they are found out and confiscated?

»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»
kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla
Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu
www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Trigger] #985972
08/03/10 04:05 PM
08/03/10 04:05 PM

262jennifer
Unregistered
262jennifer
Unregistered

I heard that they are put to sleep and the owners are fined.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #985978
08/03/10 04:14 PM
08/03/10 04:14 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
That is what is provided for by the law. Actually - the law doesn't say they will be put to sleep, it says they will be confiscated and the owner fined.

However, I know of zero instances where either has been done.

I do know of an instance where a glider owner was given a specific amount of time to get gliders out of the state. However, that person had a LOT of gliders. I also know that the "government" never (ever!) came back and verified it had been done.

I know of people who have taken ferrets, hedgehogs, and gliders to public events with them and not had any legal consequences. I'm NOT saying that everyone in California should rush out and break the laws. I would NEVER advocate for breaking laws. I'm merely saying that's what I've seen happen.

I think if people choose to break the laws - that's their responsibility. We should still offer them the support and help we do anyone else.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #985979
08/03/10 04:15 PM
08/03/10 04:15 PM

S
sophie
Unregistered
sophie
Unregistered
S

I'm sorry if I asked a wrong question. It's just that I know people in Ca that own them and I was just wondering how they do it is all. I'll make sure to tell my friend not to get one.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #986024
08/03/10 04:58 PM
08/03/10 04:58 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I had called months back and asked if chinchillas were ok there and was told that they were illegal. This was prior to my getting gliders; I was thinking of moving to Cali.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #986028
08/03/10 05:06 PM
08/03/10 05:06 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: sophie
I'm sorry if I asked a wrong question. It's just that I know people in Ca that own them and I was just wondering how they do it is all. I'll make sure to tell my friend not to get one.

You didn't ask the wrong question!

Just sparked a conversation!

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ] #986030
08/03/10 05:11 PM
08/03/10 05:11 PM

T
Tevina
Unregistered
Tevina
Unregistered
T

Originally Posted By: Megs
I had called months back and asked if chinchillas were ok there and was told that they were illegal. This was prior to my getting gliders; I was thinking of moving to Cali.

Not sure who you talked to, but they obviously had no idea what they were talking about.

http://www.cachins.org/

http://www.chinchillarescue.org/

Even Petco and most pet shops in malls sell them.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ValkyrieMome] #986046
08/03/10 05:54 PM
08/03/10 05:54 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome

I think if people choose to break the laws - that's their responsibility. We should still offer them the support and help we do anyone else.

If anything the people in illegal states need more support, esp when they are rescuing these babies off CL. I can just imagine how someone would feel after they found out that theyre illegal, they might not know that there are vets out there that will treat them. And if they were already in the illegal state, they arent exactly putting them in harms way since they were there to begin with. What matters is that the gliders are being cared for in proper way.

Are any there members on here that live in Cali?

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Amaretto & Bailey
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Kayla] #986051
08/03/10 06:06 PM
08/03/10 06:06 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
I've heard that there have been people from illegal states that have posted on forums like this asking for help. Their IP address was traced and they were fined for keeping the illegal animal.... just what I've heard.

Allie
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #986055
08/03/10 06:18 PM
08/03/10 06:18 PM
Mohave, AZ
Kayla Offline
Glider Lover
Kayla  Offline
Glider Lover

Mohave, AZ
Do people really have the time to do that though? Id think there would be better things to do thn trace IP addresses to find people with harmless illegal animals....

Gizmo & Trinket
Remy, Bolt & Luna
Amaretto & Bailey
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Kayla] #986067
08/03/10 07:05 PM
08/03/10 07:05 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
you'd be surprised. it has happened on a frog forum i know too. And yes one issue with getting caught is its up to them. they COULD confiscate and euthanize. I have heard of it before. they are really cracking down right now. even worse. the issue started with xenopus frogs in the 1980's. we were able to use those frogs to determine if a woman was pregnant. when they figured out how not to use the frogs and use dipsticks for pregnancy tests they released all those xenopus frogs ( very illegal to own now in cali) into the environment. ( you may even see them in the canals there...they are native to Africa) what they did not know is that they carried the deadliest fungus/disease known to frogs. this spread throughout the U.S. and eventually down to latin and s.america. Xenopus are carriers however not affected tho we are losing frogs now. I have some tree frogs through the amphibian steward network to try and conserve them as in a year we prolly wont see them in the wild ever again and reintroduction into the wild when chytrid the disease is there is not an option. Their habitats have been tarnished by this incredibly lethal disease. it is very sad. they are trying to make it illegal for frogs/reptiles now in cali. its in the bill.

hefty fines. yes if someone signs up and puts timbuctoo as their location we can prolly help them and i believe in helping. i will not send one of my babies somewhere where they COULD be confiscated. we care so much about them. we want them to be in permanent forever loving homes that will be able to find vet care and not be hiding from the law and potentially have them need to be rehomes, confiscated, whatever cali does.

so thats how it started and eventually spread to non-native animals. San Franscisco is really doing some odd things! i mean its illegal or they are trying to make it illegal to buy bottled water and soda from a pop machine LOL!

ridiculous if you ask me. vets take an oath when they graduate. an oath that is in the best interest of animals. they also take on insurance. would a vet be willing to potentially loose their practicing license and insurance to provide care for animals? thats a controversial issue. I'm not sure but could they get fined as well? depends on the laws and i havent looked them up in full.

a lot of animals are being put into the bill. frogs/reptiles now too in addition to the dumb python one. which btw is open for comment with the fish and wildlife service now if we want to try and advocate and stop these bans.

I doubt gliders will ever be legal same as ferrets. they have been illegal for some time. do people own them under the radar ...yes. do people take proper care of them? SOME and a lot dont tho because of limited resources.

an ethical question is do vendors help in the care of these animals including gliders? should they? are we supporting them being owned?

i would help with food etc. from my store as i want the best for them. do i necessarily agree with them being owned? prolly not since they are illegal and i worry about their welfare. but i would never turn an animal away that needs proper nutrition etc.

yes people own them and take wonderful care of them there. but i am sure there are also people that don't take so good of care of them. even in legal states we have those kind of people. add on that they are illegal makes it so much worse. dunno

Last edited by kristy55303; 08/03/10 07:43 PM.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: snowbabygliders] #986073
08/03/10 07:29 PM
08/03/10 07:29 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: kristy55303
an ethical question is do vendors help in the care of these animals including gliders? should they? are we supporting them being owned?

Kristy - this came up in a discussion long long ago.

You can do what you want, it is your business. But, in my opinion, GOOD vendors should sell to any one who wants to buy their products. Otherwise, the only thing left is the bad vendors! Gliders are gliders, and they are not responsible for where their owners live. If we are acting "for the good of the glider" then the gliders should not be deprived of healthy diet and safe products based on where the owner resides.

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ValkyrieMome] #986076
08/03/10 07:35 PM
08/03/10 07:35 PM

262jennifer
Unregistered
262jennifer
Unregistered

Good point! It's not the gliders fault!

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: ValkyrieMome] #986077
08/03/10 07:37 PM
08/03/10 07:37 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
oh for sure alden. why i stated i would help any glider needing proper nutriton etc from my store even to california. thumb

it was a question only aimed to see responses and i had hoped the same response as i had stated. That i would never turn down proper diet and supplies for any glider heart 100% agree sweety

i think you may have missed the part where i said that LOL! and only raised the question hun. I did not know there was discussion about it before as i was just posting off the top of my head what some may view as wrong but most ( and i hope all of us agree) may view as right ...right for the gliders by never turning away help wink here is my quote after that question simply stated to see opinions love...

"i would help with food etc. from my store as i want the best for them. do i necessarily agree with them being owned? prolly not since they are illegal and i worry about their welfare. but i would never turn an animal away that needs proper nutrition etc."

Last edited by kristy55303; 08/03/10 07:44 PM.

Re: Glider legal in California [Re: snowbabygliders] #986083
08/03/10 07:54 PM
08/03/10 07:54 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I will sell glider THINGS to any state, just not gliders.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Glider legal in California [Re: Dancing] #986087
08/03/10 08:00 PM
08/03/10 08:00 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
awesome i think that is the way it should be smile we want the best for our gliders so we can't rehome them to cali but we can help those gliders already in cali by making sure there are resources available to give them proper care and nutrition. If we were to not do that, then we would only be contributing to bigger problems and harming gliders in need IMO. agree

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024