Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Diet Talk #989618
08/11/10 12:08 PM
08/11/10 12:08 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Ok, so lets open up some diet talks...seems like there are SEVERAL out there right now and we havent had a good *chat* about them in quite some time.

With all the diets out there do we know how many have been analysed?

Where can you find info like that anyway?

What diet do you have your gliders on and how long have they been on it?

Have you had any health issues lately?

What types of fruits and veggies do you feed with your staple? (for those of you on HPW, BML, Suncoast, Priscillas diet etc...

What are the plus' and the negatives in different diets in your eyes and why?

What do YOU all think could be done to IMPROVE the diets that are currently being offered? Or what do you think would make the best diet to offer for the general population?

(please, lets not get this into a bashing thread on which diet is better. Lets gear this towards all our great minds throwing stuff out there to try to move one step higher than where we are today. Lets face it, we still dont have a *perfect* diet plan for our babies)

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #989650
08/11/10 01:55 PM
08/11/10 01:55 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
OK before the poo hits the fan I will start with my feedings.

With all the diets out there do we know how many have been analyzed?
Those that created the diet should tell us how it was created and who analyzed it, and the results.

The creator of the diet. If you have any questions or concerns you should always contact the creator and ask. Many are very open and willing to discuss concerns you have. Also consult your veterinarian on the diet you choose. He/she should be able to help you choose a good diet.

80% are on modified HPW 20% are on Pricilla's Diet (The Pet Glider Diet). Why 2 diets because I have several glider who no matter how I fix it just will not eat HPW. They eat P's diet well and in my eye's they need to eat their proportion of the staple provided or you get unhealthy gliders. Pricilla's was the original diet I fed for about 2 yrs before meeting Peggy at a gathering. I spoke to Peggy saw gliders from her house all looked very healthy and she had no medical issue's so I switched my gliders to HPW and all seemed to do well on it. They were all on it for about a yr but I have a few picky eaters and had to alter a batch by adding veggies into the mix or other things to get them to eat it and they still picked at it. So knowing these guys loved the chicken in Priscilla's I switched them back to that diet and use her vitamins.

Have you had any health issues lately? No knocks on wood real hard!

What types of fruits and veggies do you feed with your staple? (for those of you on HPW, BML, Suncoast, Priscillas diet etc...
I feed what is available, on sale and a wide variety of fruits and veggies. I go by the safe list to pick what I am feeding and I mix it up so to speak. I try cooking them feeding them raw, chopped shredded how ever I can get them to eat a variety.

I think the creators try to create a diet the gliders will eat and to obtain all the vital nutrition they need while making it as easy for the owners to get supplies and make. Face it these critters are not hard to keep but they require more then the ordinary care of common pets. Plus's are gliders will accually eat it, ease of making it, cost to make it when you have several cages. BUT healthy gliders is the main thing I look at with diet. Negatives guess you can say limited other items you can give to keep the diet balanced, cost.

What do YOU all think could be done to IMPROVE the diets that are currently being offered? Or what do you think would make the best diet to offer for the general population?
There are several to choose from so people have an option on what they feed. Let me think about this a while!!

Last edited by BCChins; 08/11/10 01:57 PM.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Diet Talk [Re: BCChins] #989660
08/11/10 02:11 PM
08/11/10 02:11 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
OK before the poo hits the fan I will start with my feedings.

Lets hope this does NOT happen Brenda!! Negative JuJu be gone!! grin

The ONLY way we, as a community, will ever be able to improve the quality of life for our gliders is if we can all come together and discuss things. We need to know we are not all going to agree with each other, and we need to agree to disagree and keep things in perspective as its not about the person but about the animal. That, after all, is what brought us all here in the first place.

With that being said, one of the reasons I have even started this post is to try and see where people are at in their diets, how their gliders are doing with them, the pros and cons.

I have seen more and more HLP threads starting and this worries me DEEPLY.

Granted, HLP is NORMALLY a secondary condition, however, if there is a way we could increase the chances of it happening LESS, and that be through diet, than we (the community) need to come together and throw some ideas out there as to what we feel would help.

Lets face it, just because some SAYS they are on HPW, BML, Priscillas, etc... doesnt mean they always (if ever) follow it to a T.

How many times have we seen posts that say I just made a batch of ***** but I forgot the ***** or I accidentally put too much ***** and then we have others that say they have this issue or that and they *say* they feed this or that diet but how do we know for certain....

So, I guess we need to all work at finding what would be the best way to make it most beneficial for the gliders yet simple enough for the owners.

MOST of us here dont mind having to mix things up and go to the store and get those special fruits and veggies, but how many of us can sit here and say they have never skimped on a meal because it was too late to go to the store, or you were too tired to make the diet so you skipped it one night and fed something else. Now granted, to do that every now and then is not going to hurt a glider, but what if your every now and then is different from Jane Does every now and then, and more often than not Jane Does gliders arent getting the proper nutrients needed and winds up sick.

See what Im saying? Lets all work together as a team (and a good one when we want to be)and see what we can throw out there as alternatives....

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #989668
08/11/10 02:19 PM
08/11/10 02:19 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
My gliders are on Candy's Blended diet Version 4. I believe they've been on it since Feb, but I would need to check my notes. Before that, they were on BML (which they'd been on since October 28th (or so) to when I switched to Candy's diet.

No health issues, although I have been attempting to figure out why one of them occasionally hisses while pottying. It's been pointed out to me by a few that this could just be a quirk though.

The fruits and veggies vary. They're always on the safe list, and I do calculate ratios -- I try to keep the meals overall ratio between 1.9 to 2.3.

Priscilla's - I've been considering this diet lately -- and truthfully, I like it more than any other diet (on paper, at least) but I dislike the sprinkling of the vitamins on top. How do you know each glider is getting their share? This problem is what keeps me from feeding it.

HPW - I feel that the ratio is low, making it difficult to get the diet to where it needs to be without the use of a veggie relish or fruit smoothie.

BML - I dislike the use of the reptile vitamins, and wish that there were a different multi-vitamin that could be used without changing the diet drastically.

..Each of these diets have worked for others over the years though, which is certainly a plus.

Thinking on this...

Last edited by WintersSong; 08/11/10 02:20 PM.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Diet Talk [Re: WintersSong] #989669
08/11/10 02:21 PM
08/11/10 02:21 PM
Central Connecticut
BCChins Offline
Glider Addict
BCChins  Offline
Glider Addict

Central Connecticut
My bad Peggy :sorry: I think this is a good subject.

Have a Good Day
Brenda &
Mr. Magoo

Friendly Reminder please have an e-collar ready before you need it......
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #989682
08/11/10 02:45 PM
08/11/10 02:45 PM

C
CoconutRumOj
Unregistered
CoconutRumOj
Unregistered
C

I'm a soon-to-be sugar momma and I, for one, absolutely LOVE heart the idea of the post. Most all the questions you posted for others to answer were some of the same questions I have. Especially the what diet and why or why not part. And it puts it all under one post, rather than searching and searching (which I have been doing for weeks now) and going from one post to the next. Geee, why didn't I think to put all the questions under one post shakehead

Great idea!!! dance

Re: Diet Talk [Re: ] #989691
08/11/10 03:09 PM
08/11/10 03:09 PM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
I've fed 4 different diets, so I'll comment on each of them.
BML- the PROs are that the ingredients can all be bought locally and it's already balanced out, so there's no need to do any calculating. The CONS are that it's got a lot of ingredients and thus you have to constantly remember to stock up on them and I also had a problem with many of my gliders not liking it or they stopped eating it over time.
Priscilla's diet(The Pet Glider diet)- The PROs are that it smells nice and doesn't make you wanna gag, lol. Also, it's one of the more natural diets that are out there, which I like. The CONs are that it's a huge pain in the bum to prepare, the vitamins are extremely expensive, and I also worry about gliders not all getting enough of the vitamins because the first gliders to the dish will eat them all.
HPW- The PROs are that when my gliders were on it that had pretty much zilch odor and their fur was really fluffy and it's pretty easy to make. The CONS are that it's got very little nutritional value(compared to other diets) and is insufficient in calcium.
Ensure diet- The PROs are that it's extremely easy to make because there's no blending or anything that needs to be done and my gliders also abosolutely LOVE it. I've never had a glider that didn't go bonkers for Ensure, lol. The CONs are that I've noticed that my gliders are pretty darn stinky on the diet. *blech* I'm willing to suffer the stink to see them happy and healthy though. wink

I'd love to see an all-natural diet made from all the stuff that gliders would eat in the diet, but we know that'll never happen because it's just not practical. I think that we as a community are doing a great job working together to always try and improve. Sadly diets take years to "prove" themselves because many ill-effects of a diet can take a long time to show themselves. However, we live and learn and for now we just need to make changes as we see problems arise. It'd be nice to see more bloodwork being done though because that'd certainly help to catch things BEFORE they become a problem so we can make changes and improvements before it's too late.

As for what the best diet is...I think that depends on the glider and their owner. Some people don't trust themselves to do all the ca:phos calculations, so BML is best. Others prefer a more natural diet, thus something like PP's or Candy's diet would be best. For others, especially those overseas, the Ensure diet would be better because they can get the ingredients more readily. There's no 1 "perfect" diet, imo. I think that there are MULTIPLE good diets, which is great because then it gives owners many diets to choose from that best fit them, their gliders, their location/availablity of ingredients, and their budget.

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Diet Talk [Re: ] #989696
08/11/10 03:26 PM
08/11/10 03:26 PM

G
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
G

Hi,
My three are on Priciila's diet. My two older girls have been eating it for over a year. I just switched my new baby over to it about 3 days ago.

None so far, all three girls will be seeing the vet next week so I will have more info then.

Fruits n veggies always change with each batch. I make two smaller batches that are all blended so its fruits in one and veggies in another. But all veggies and fruits are on the safe list at all times, and I make sure I get the fruits n veggies that rank highest in good for them.

Plus side of this diet is that I can offer different veggies n fruits with each batch and the girls dont get board with it. When Im down to 8 cubes left I go out and get new veggies new fruits and make another batch. So rotating is fun for me too! Down side has to be toping it with the multi-vitamine. Mine hate the stuff, I cant be sure that they are getting what they need they will eat and lick around it if possible.

Im still a newbie so I cant really say much on other diets as Ive only used the one. But for my house hold I just wish there was one pattern to follow that had the vitamines already in it that allows the same freedom of fruits n veggies. Kinda like baby formula, there are different types for each child, as long as you know the medical behind the baby you can choose the right one. ( i maybe a dreamer there) LOL. It would take out some of the worry about not bieng able to get different supplies or limited on the veggie and fruits by location. Ive ready a few posts where calcium was hard to get or the rept-vitamines were hard to get ect, and I know its a real stress. And with the formula we could just set it out knowing they are getting everything they need.
Thanks for listening smile

Re: Diet Talk [Re: Guerita135] #989698
08/11/10 03:29 PM
08/11/10 03:29 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Exactly the kind of response I am hoping others will give as well. Thank you guys.

Quote:
It'd be nice to see more bloodwork being done though because that'd certainly help to catch things BEFORE they become a problem so we can make changes and improvements before it's too late.

Ditto!!

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #989704
08/11/10 04:01 PM
08/11/10 04:01 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
First, what would you consider to be an 'analysis' of a glider diet? I am not sure any of the diets have been evaluated formally by lab type testing and anaylsis - but it would be wonderful if they all could be.

BML and Suncoast may have been analyzed at the time of the first Direnfield study (I'll have to dig out my copy of the article to see)

I developed my diet calculator for the purpose of calculating the glider diets down to a per glider portion so I could compare them to each other. This probably does not qualify as a scientific analysis, but it met my needs and goals.

My gliders are all on my Blended diet. 5 have been on it for almost 2 years now. The others have been on it since coming to me. The 4 Animaniacs and Mindy about 16 months and Kanobles since March.

I have had no health issues

I feed a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. I look at the overall ratio for 7 servings of the Blended Diet and the equivalent of 7 fruit and 7 vegetable servings to see if the AVERAGE ratio for a week's feedings are in the range of 1.5:1 to 2:1. I am comfortable that as long as I use a variety of fruits and vegetables each week that I am easily in the right ratio range so I no longer 'check the ratios' on a regular basis. Feeding my gliders is not at all stressful for me.

BML - I feel the amount of added calcium is excessive and the need to limit the vegetables to the high phosphorus mixed vegetables to balance out the calcium is a limitation on the variety of vegetables one can feed gliders on BML

HPW being on the low end of the calcium content spectrum has made people overly paranoid about choosing fruits and vegetables. I feel it is a good diet and people are just over obsessing with finding just the right fruits and veggies (hence the evolution of the smoothies & relishes that heavily depend on papaya and bok choy to get just the right ratio). I feel a variety of fruits and vegetables can be offered with HPW and gliders will do well as long as the higher ratio ones are included in the weekly selection (not necessarily every day.)

SunCoast and Priscilla Price - are just not specific enough for me. I personally NEED to measure things like vitamins and calcium not trust that I have 'sprinkled the right amounts and that the gliders will eat the stuff that has been sprinkled in a way that each gets the right amount and none get more than necessary.

I wish we had a list of the amounts of nutrients, vitamins and minerals needed by sugar gliders daily that would be the standard for all glider diets.

I believe that simple changes to BML and HPW would simplify the selection of fruits and vegetables that would make the feedings of these diets less stressful for those using them.

If BML is prepared with 1 tsp RepCal Calcium (instead of 2 tsp) the resulting ratio of the diet is 1.9:1. (down from 3.2:1) This relieves the necessity of feeding the high phosphorus mixed vegetables daily and would allow a free choice of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to be used with BML and still have the overall meal in the 1.5:1 to 2:1 range.

If HPW is prepared with 900 mg calcium (3/4 tsp if calcium carbonate 1200 mg/tsp is used) added the ratio is 2.1:1 (up from 1:1). This also would allow a wide variety of fruits and vegetables to be paired with the diet and still remain in the 1.5:1 to 2:1 range.

I would like to see glider owners concentrate on providing a variety of fruits and vegetables with out the level of frustration and stress I see in many posts.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #989725
08/11/10 04:49 PM
08/11/10 04:49 PM
Las Vegas, NV/Columbus, OH
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Analyzed in what way?

No idea, but I'd love to know if anyone has info on that.

They are currently on the Priscilla Price diet. Their diet history goes as follows:

Nika: Priscilla's for approximately 2 years. Before that, Darcy's for approximately 2 months. Before that, the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets diet for a while, not sure how long. All of those were while she was with me.

Ranger: Priscilla's for approximately two years. Before that, Darcy's for approximately 2 months. At the pet store where I bought him, he ate a specialized diet that included Briskys and a fruit smoothie.

Deegee: Priscilla's for approximately 10 months. Before that, BML for over a year. Before BML, probably whatever the owner found around the house.

Nothing recently. The only issue I've had since I got gliders was when Nika had her bloodwork done she had a high white blood cell count, and the vet found that she had a pouch infection and treated it. That was about a year and a half ago.

The fruits vary, but my favorites that are in there almost every batch are rasperries, blackberries, and papaya. Veggies also vary. They generally get peas, carrots, and green beans, but when I feel like treating them I'll throw some corn in too.

Because I've never fed most other diets, I really cant' say. But I can tell you why I chose to feed what I feed.

I chose Priscilla's because it looked the easiest to me at the time (which is a plus for that diet).

I didn't want to have to rely on ordering HPW powder and bee pollen off of the internet because I knew I'd forget and be out of luck, and there wasn't enough room in my freezer to keep an extra store of it (I lived with roommates).

I didn't use BML because at the time I didn't have a blender.

I KEPT using the Priscilla Price diet after the Great diet Scare of 2009 because I had bloodwork done on my gliders and they were all healthy (with the exception of Nika, addressed above).

We HAVE to have conclusive, scientific research. At this point, I feel that is the ONLY way we can improve on the diets we already have.

I don't feel that any of our diets are suitable to be offered to the general population. They just aren't easy enough. I feel that once glider nutrition research is completed, we could formulate an easier, nutritious diet that could be offered to the general population.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Diet Talk [Re: DeeDancer] #989804
08/11/10 08:08 PM
08/11/10 08:08 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
When I first got Gizmo she wasn't on much of a diet, she was to get free choice pellets, that they mixed with parrot pellets, a little honey on your finger, some yogurt 12 mealies a day.....

I promptly put her on BML after which I got Zoey and Widget. They were not eating much if any of the BML mixture and I felt that they were not getting the nutrients they needed. So I switched to HPW. On HPW they cleaned up the HPW mixture and hardly touched their fruits and veggies.

I changed everyone over to Candy's Blended diet and now they are cleaning just about everything up in their dishes.

I have recently lost Zoey, but being her 3 or 4th home I have no idea what her life was like before she came to me. I am waiting for the final necropsy and histopathology reports.

I like the fact that CBD is as close to 2:1 Calcium/Phosphorus allowing for more variety in fruits and veggies.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #989868
08/11/10 10:26 PM
08/11/10 10:26 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I have "heard" through various posts since I've been on GC that HPW and BML were developed with the assistance of vets.

If above statement is true, then the developers and vets should have the records, which I believe should be published for glider owners.

My first diet is what was recommended to me when I bought my fist 2 gliders from Mike McGrath. (yeah, I know better now!) They got Cat Chow and Oatmeal in a 2:1 ratio, 5 raisens/night, apples and calcium sprinkled on top. That went on for about 6 months then I switched to BML. All of my gliders have been on BML since. I've been feeding it for over 3 years.

No (knocks on wood VERY hard)

I feed a pretty strict BML diet. My gliders get a mix of corn, green beans, peas, and carrots every night. I mix up the fruits, but only feed those on the BML list. Being the meanie that I am, they don't get treats - other than mealies.

Not knowing the other diets specifically, I will generalize. I don't like the "sprinkle" idea for vitamins - no "portion control". I don't want to have to order stuff off the internet because I DO run out of stuff and don't want my babies to go without. I also want something idiot-proof, I like the simplicity of having a pre-determined list of what I can feed. I don't want to calculate values.

First, if there's any analysis on the existing diets - publish it so we can all make educated decisions.

Second, we need research. Regardless of the analysis that has/hasn't been done, we don't really know what the daily allowances or needs of a sugar glider are. So how can we know if any of the diets are sufficient?

Third, encourage people to use diets as they were designed. With everyone modifying their own, and no consistency with a particular diet, it makes health issues that much more difficult to trace back to a diet.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Diet Talk [Re: GliderNursery] #989901
08/11/10 11:42 PM
08/11/10 11:42 PM
Wichita Falls, Texas
DirtyPaws Offline
Glider Slave
DirtyPaws  Offline
Glider Slave

Wichita Falls, Texas
What diet do you have your gliders on and how long have they been on it? Taaska had 4 homes before me. The lady who gave her & Sadie to me just fed them whatever fruits & veggies they had around the house, canned nector, pecans. They've been on HPW for 2 yrs w/me. Their 4 babies were born to HPW as were Twinkie & Dolly. Blitzy & Ella were on BML for a yr before coming to me & have been on HPW 1 yr since. Dottie's just a baby and I've just weaned her over to HPW from Priscilla's. Oh treats! We give mealies, yoggies, pine nuts, dried papaya, sunflower seeds all in moderation. And I mean MODERATION. Like only 1 each a week unless I'm 'taming the tiger!'

Have you had any health issues lately? Only that I have 3 that are heavy. I do believe they have a fat gene affecting the daddy & a son & daughter. Mine are all young though with the exception of Taaska and we have no clue how old she is ~ 5-7 maybe.

What types of fruits and veggies do you feed with your staple? (for those of you on HPW, BML, Suncoast, Priscillas diet etc... I always feed what gives me a 2:1 ratio by using 2 fruits & 2 veggies just chopped hand-size for them. These are all in my rotation. Fruits: Papaya, casaba melon, orange (every 10 wks or so,) watermelon, cantalope, honeydew, santa melon, plum, pear, apple, tomato, kiwi, fig, blackberry, blueberry, dark cherry, star fruit, pomegrant, apricot, kiwi, nectarine. Veggies: bok choy, kale, spinach & collard greens (every 10 wks or so,) okra, jicama, sweet potato, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, acorn squash, broccoli, green beans, carrots, cabbage, brussel sprouts, corn & peas very sparringly, asparagus, radish, endive. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. With my veggies I try raw & cooked until I figure out what they eat the best.

What are the plus' and the negatives in different diets in your eyes and why? BML's got a good ratio but I'm not crazy about the fruits & veggies that go with it nor do I believe it gives enough variety. HPW is easy enough to make but can be frusterating when your gliders won't eat all of the mix of fruits & veggies that make the best ratio. Thus the need for blending and I'm all about foraging for diner, kababs etc. Haven't studied PP's diet in depth but I'm liking it all EXCEPT the sprinkling of the vitamins. Easy enough to find ingredients. Options to blend fruits & veggies or not. Don't know alot about other diets but am not comfortable with a pellet as a STAPLE. I just see how much so many of mine LOVE certain fruits & veggies. Even if the kibble was perfect in all nutritional ways, I just feel it would get boring. I watch my dogs eat the same kibble each night and thank God they're easier to entertain than the gliders! I personally feel a dry kibble for gliders as a treat is needed ~ I just haven't settled on one yet ~ still in the research process. If anyone would like to PM me what you like, it's ingredients list, and why you like it I'm more than willing to listen! grin

What do YOU all think could be done to IMPROVE the diets that are currently being offered? I think it would be great to go ahead and add fruits & veggies to the HPW diet. Like give 7 days worth of combonations or something. Common ones that most people can find. But also add to the HPW directions that you can sub fruits & veggies so long as your ratios are right. That way noobs who would like to try it aren't as scared about the ratios. I do believe the ordering of ingredients is another thing that turns people away from certain diets. For me it's fine but growing up in the red neck part of the woods ~ most folks want to go to the store and buy what's already made. So sometimes having to perpair the diet at all is a bit 'out of their way' so to speak. Or what do you think would make the best diet to offer for the general population? No one can even agree on what dogs & cat food should be fed to the masses ~ other than round chunks in a bag. As far as gliders go, I'm not real educated to be able to say. Everyone's needs, gliders & people alike, are so different I'm not sure there really could be just one main diet.

Thank you Peggy for starting this topic! I swear you must have been looking over my shoulder last night as I was looking deeper into the HPW diet and also researching just how much oxalates inhibit calcium absorption. I was wishing I could just find one spot to hear all about what other's have to say. I sure hope others will take the time to 'fill in the blanks' for your questions. Even if we can't agree or if others are modifying the 'approved' diets, it would be so nice to hear what they are doing and WHY so that we all could make better educated decisions as to what is the best diet for our own babies.

I do believe it takes a 'glider's lifetime' to really see what diets are the best. But, if we know what things cause what, at least we can KEEP TRYING to even better our diets and maybe see more gliders living to the ripe old ages that some of us only hear of. grin

Last edited by DirtyPaws; 08/12/10 01:59 AM. Reason: Cook veggies

~~~ Crystal ~~~

Dot Dot heart Woobie heart Isabella heart Beetlejuice

heart Blitzy&Ella ~ Twinkie&Tiramisu ~ Dolly&Doobie

heart Taaska & Sadie ~ Teddy Bear Doodle & Sasha

heart Tiki, MoJo, Ruckus, Napoleon
Re: Diet Talk [Re: GliderNursery] #989952
08/12/10 03:58 AM
08/12/10 03:58 AM
DeeDancer Offline
Glider Guardian
DeeDancer  Offline
Glider Guardian

Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
I don't like the "sprinkle" idea for vitamins - no "portion control".

Just to clarify since I've seen it more than once in this thread, although the Priscilla Price vitamins are "sprinkled", there IS a precise measurement for them. It's not like a "sprinkle whatever you feel like" onto the food.

~Deanna~
Chinchillas: Luke, Yoda, and Pronk
Gliders: Nika, Ranger, and DeeGee

(702)250-5236
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #989987
08/12/10 06:40 AM
08/12/10 06:40 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Originally Posted By: Srlb

There has been many independent studies done but none that I am aware of that many many gliders were on for many years under a scientific study.

Research, research and more research! Ask questions, ask the originating person of the diet how they came up with the diet and what else is fed.

My gliders have always been on PML (Pockets Modified Leadbeaters) EXCEPT for a few tries in the beginning with BML and later with The Pet Glider diet. None of my gliders would touch the BML and only picked at the TPG diet. I have been feeding my gliders PML for close to 7 years.

No. None. The only health issues I have ever had are from gliders that were either rescued or purchased older from a pet shop.

I feed many varieties according to the season, Papaya is a favorite and I incorporate that into the diet either fresh, frozen or made in smoothies with other fruits, yogurt and juices as it is high in calcium. My gliders get 2 to 3 kinds of fruits each night OR a nectar, juice or smoothie. I feed every kind of melon in season, mango, orange (very occasionally), apricot, blueberries, yellow mango, strawberries (occasionally), blackberries, raspberries are the most popular here.

My gliders also get mealworms a couple of days a week and certain flowers seasonally. I give them Australian bee pollen sprinkled on veggies 2 times a week.

Two days out of the week my gliders get boiled chicken breast or scrambled egg with a TINY bit of real shredded cheese and Ensure added instead of milk.

Three or 4 nights a week they get Activia Vanilla yogurt OR Breyers mixed fruit OR one of the many Yoplait yummy yogurts! LOL

I also give them a LOT of choices on vegetables. The "norm" of peas, carrots, g. beans and corn. They also get sweet potato, english cucumber, butternut squash, yellow squash, red bell pepper, asparagus, water chestnuts, broccoli, cauliflower, fresh white button mushrooms (added recently) and many other veggies including a spring mix occasionally. Again, I like to give them fresh veggies but since so many can purchased frozen, it's easier to feed them year round free choice. (unlike many fruits)

I like the variety of foods with the PML I can feed. I don't think gliders should be restricted to only a couple of foods. They LOVE many foods and would have many foods in the wild. I believe variety IS the key with giders and everything fed should be in moderation. (like treats)

Scientific studies. ACTUAL. We need more resources. I also think at times we put too much into worrying about the CA:Ph ratio when their are MANY other factors that play into the diet!

Although I worry constantly about the foods I give and am always aware of the ratios when feeding, I know that if something isn't "balanced" a night or two, it won't kill them. (yes, I was OCD about perfect ratios to the point of exhaustion at one time LOL) The balance is made up over short time periods.

(please, lets not get this into a bashing thread on which diet is better. Lets gear this towards all our great minds throwing stuff out there to try to move one step higher than where we are today. Lets face it, we still dont have a *perfect* diet plan for our babies)

Peg, we don't even have a "perfect diet" for us yet. I doubt we will for gliders either but we try and sometimes, I believe we try so hard that we forget the big picture. Making them happy! smile

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Diet Talk [Re: SugarBlossoms] #990176
08/12/10 02:42 PM
08/12/10 02:42 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
I don't know of any that have been fully analyzed. There was the "diet study" done a couple of years ago but it was far less "controlled" than it should have been and I personally believe the results are useless.

I don't think there IS any info out there. Sadly, the "scientific" community isn't as passionate about gliders as we are. Gliders are low priority (compared to dogs, cats and even ferrets)

I feed Reep's Wambaroo Diet. My gliders have been on it 6 years now.

No, thankfully. I have lost a couple of gliders this year but they were both about 9 years old and came from horrible conditions. They thrived and were sweethearts during the 5-6 years they were with me. I have had many joeys born here on this diet and all have been healthy.

My gliders get the mixed vegies, corn, peas, green beans and carrots nightly. A few nights per month they get other things such as cuccumbers, squash, zuccini. Fruits are fairly limited in variety as they tend to be picky about fruit. Cantelope, honeydew, apples and papaya are the most used but they are offered grapes, pears, peaches and mango on occasion. They won't eat those daily or even two days in a row.

I would love to try Pricilla's but with the number of gliders I have, the cost of the vitamins alone make it impossible. HPW, BML, PML all have a distinct disadvantage for me as I have gliders that will not eat honey or anything with honey in it. I have tried numerous types and "flavors" of honey and they won't touch it. Dexter is one of them. He is over 13 yrs old now and will not touch honey (or bee pollen). He's been on Reep's for 6 years now.

I don't believe there IS a "best" diet for even the general population simply because every glider is different. Where they come from, what life they have had (if rescues), age, their personal taste (some are picky!) and over all health will dictate what diet is best for THAT glider. There are good diets out there but unless the glider will eat it, it doesn't matter how "scientifically good" it is, it won't be any good for THAT glider. I would love to see the current diets being promoted (HPW, BML, Suncoast, Pricilla's, PML, Reep's, Ensure, and the Blended diet as well as the different pellet diets such as those suggested by pocket pets and other brokers) fully analyzed by an independant lab and the results freely published so we can know just what we are feeding our gliders and without that type of analysis, I don't think we are going to be able to move forward. Until then, I think we have to look at over all history of the diet, how many have used it and for how long and with what results.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Dancing] #990203
08/12/10 03:13 PM
08/12/10 03:13 PM
Luverne, Minnesota
B19 Offline
Glider Lover
B19  Offline
Glider Lover

Luverne, Minnesota
Thanks for this topic! I love hearing everyone's opinions on their glider's diet and the outcomes they have seen. smile

I have no idea on this one, I have "heard" of some diets being analyzed.

I supposed lots of research to see if it is true.

I got my first glider this past December and she was on PP diet. Then, I got her cagemate. They both were on PP diet until about a few months ago. Then, decided to switch to HPW, since then their coats have so much more luster to them! I have seen the added benefits, imo, of what HPW has done for them. They get a veggie and fruit relish with the HPW mixture, and they clean their bowls every night.

No, thankfully.

I feed the veggie relish containing bok choy, butternut squash, cucumber. The fruit relish contains frozen berries, apple, orange, papaya, and cantaloupe. The next batch I make, will be in a week or two, will probably be a variation or different relish. In fact, writing this right now, I think I will make a couple different kinds for more variation.

Pros- to me I like HPW because the ease of making it, and the noticeable difference in my babies I have seen happen before my own eyes. They just overall seem happier and healthy after switching. Negs- I have noticed my male has put on some weight after switching diets, and i don't really like the fact you have to order the HPW supplies online...but oculd be worse.

I too would like to see more specific variations to HPW with the fruits and veggies. The ratios still scare me when I'm figuring them. I don't necessarily feel there is a "best diet" for the general population because every glider has different needs and are in different situations. I would love if the more popular/approved diets could be fully analyzed it would be for both the owner's and glider's benefit.

Last edited by B19; 08/12/10 03:16 PM.

Brandi

Loving mother to:
:grey: "Ziggy" & "Teddy"
:rtmo: "Pebbles"
1 chocolate Lab: "Gracie Mae"
1 Min Pin: "Daisy Mae"
2 horses: "Scoots" & "Sisco"

Re: Diet Talk [Re: B19] #990229
08/12/10 03:34 PM
08/12/10 03:34 PM
st.louis, missouri
HappyToBeHere Offline
Glider Lover
HappyToBeHere  Offline
Glider Lover

st.louis, missouri

HPW diet for 5 months now for two of mine and then new guy only 3 weeks!

no! knocks on wood!

What types of fruits and veggies do you feed with your staple?

Oh ok well i get mine from a fruit/salad bar! They change it every weeks so its fun, i always come with my ok list of fruits and veggies. But fruit, cantalope, honeydew, water melon, strawberries, and grapes i believe... uh veggies! dark lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, oh wow im sorry i can not remember all this...

honestly i picked HPW because i could prepare it once a month and that was it, i work and have classes, i cant prepare food every week, its just too hard on me. I dislike how i notice my gliders dont always eat the fruit and veggies and that honestly worries me.

Im thinking bout switching to Darcy's diet which is the ensure diet. (tblspn ensure, tblspn fruits/veggies, and tblspon of protein) The switch is because i drink ensure for breakfast everyone morning! and eggs or chicken for me is something i always have in the fridge, and less dependency on fruit and veggies because mine dont seem to ever eat it all. So i feel like the vitamins they dont get in HPW they will with Ensure. But i have a lot of hpw mix let sooooo gotta use that first! lol

still new too, the vet i went too was okay with HPW but she really said they had to eat their fruits and veggies or id have to find a different diet for their health. So ill bring up Darcys next time im in

smile

LIVE life to the FULLEST, that way you really have no regrets when its over..

Mom to Pickles :grey: Precious :grey: Gizmo :rtmo: Ducky :wfb: and Dizzy :leu:
Re: Diet Talk [Re: HappyToBeHere] #990352
08/12/10 08:06 PM
08/12/10 08:06 PM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
If anyone is looking for the Dr. Dierenfeld study from 2003, a copy of it is here:

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/Sugar-Glider-Diet-Study.pdf

Yes, it would have been nice for the study to use more than 9 gliders across 3 diets, but as far as I know, it's the only recent scientific diet study we have.

I say "we" meaning this community because SunCoast supplied the animals and the Glider Research Fund paid for the trial and analyses. So it is possible for the community to achieve something like this.

Even if you think the sample was too small to be "proof" of anything, there are still lots of interesting comments on glider behavior and diet, for example:

"All diets supplied more energy than needed by the animals,
thus allowing selective feeding behaviors. Given excess, gliders ate preferred items, which resulted in diets consumed that differed in nutrient composition from diets offered."

Which is a really important idea - just because you offer them a nutritionally balanced diet, doesn't mean that's what they end up eating!

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/
Re: Diet Talk [Re: jimbo] #990411
08/12/10 09:43 PM
08/12/10 09:43 PM
Red Oak Texas
anjill_tree Offline
Glider Guardian
anjill_tree  Offline
Glider Guardian

Red Oak Texas

REEPS for over a year now. No health issues yet. Very lively, eyes are nice and clear, fur is nice. They eat all or almost all every night, since I switched. ANd lots of twins are being born

Have you had any health issues lately? NONE

What types of fruits and veggies do you feed with your staple? (for those of you on HPW, BML, Suncoast, Priscillas diet etc..

I use fresh or frozen. I switch out. I like Green giant Steamers, since there is no salt in it. And Doles frozen fruits rock, esp those blueberries, they never leave a blueberry in sight on those nights. Fresh apples, plums( not well liked) Mango, watermelon( not too often)Grapes.
What are the plus' and the negatives in different diets in your eyes and why? I don't care what you feed your glider as long as it keeps your glider healthy. I found what I like,and I am responsible for MY gliders.

I don't think there is " the perfect diet " . And I don't believe there should be only one diet. That's
what is nice about choices.Choosing a diet has everything to do with us, as glider owners, Our life style, what fits in that lifestyle, Time, and what our gliders like. "No diet is good if not eaten"

Great thread Thanks

Cathy Hart

Support Aspergers and Autism Research, help put the pieces together.
www.hartlandsugargliders.com
cathyhart2texas@yahoo.com
469-964-4152
Re: Diet Talk [Re: anjill_tree] #990655
08/13/10 09:11 AM
08/13/10 09:11 AM
Saint Petersburg, FL
Viva La Glider Offline
Glider Guardian
Viva La Glider  Offline
Glider Guardian

Saint Petersburg, FL
I only recommend one diet, and the reason for that is simple. I only use one diet and I don't feel qualified to comment on any others. The diet we use (Suncoast) has been nutritonally tested. The results were posted in Dr Dierenfeld's study. The only change we've made to the diet is to change the staple from Zookeepers Secret to Wholesome Balance which was formulated under the guidance of Dr D. It is the only staple diet made with all human grade ingredients AND soy free.

Using soy in animal diets concerns me because soy is not a complete protein and it has a high measure of phytoestrogens which are female hormones.

We've used this diet for eleven years now with generation after generation and we do not see any significant health issues. I just recently lost Miss Vivian, who was my oldest glider. She was 16. Many of my gliders have averaged ages in excess in ten years (hopefully in another five years of doing this I will have an improved number).

I am skeptical of the newer diets simply because they have not been used over generations and I think that is an important measure of success in a diet plan.

Lisa and Arnold www.sugar-gliders.com
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Viva La Glider] #990668
08/13/10 09:40 AM
08/13/10 09:40 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
what was the big diet scare in 2009 that someone mentioned???

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Viva La Glider] #990669
08/13/10 09:45 AM
08/13/10 09:45 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Originally Posted By: Viva La Glider
The diet we use (Suncoast) has been nutritonally tested. The results were posted in Dr Dierenfeld's study. The only change we've made to the diet is to change the staple from Zookeepers Secret to Wholesome Balance which was formulated under the guidance of Dr D. It is the only staple diet made with all human grade ingredients AND soy free.

We've used this diet for eleven years now with generation after generation and we do not see any significant health issues. I just recently lost Miss Vivian, who was my oldest glider. She was 16. Many of my gliders have averaged ages in excess in ten years (hopefully in another five years of doing this I will have an improved number).

I am skeptical of the newer diets simply because they have not been used over generations and I think that is an important measure of success in a diet plan.

Thank you for this, good to know.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Gizmogirl] #990675
08/13/10 09:54 AM
08/13/10 09:54 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
Using soy in animal diets concerns me because soy is not a complete protein and it has a high measure of phytoestrogens which are female hormones.

If we can keep statements like this from being posted it would be MUCH appreciated. This is NOT a proven fact in gliders. IF it is, please do share where that information can be obtained.
Just as you have stated you have used your diet for eleven years, the Wombaroo has been used for over 7 that I know of with no significant health issues.

Also you stated your diet has been nutritionally tested, can we please have that information on the when, how, where and when be posted so we can all see the test results?

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Diet Talk [Re: Srlb] #990686
08/13/10 10:08 AM
08/13/10 10:08 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Originally Posted By: Srlb
Just as you have stated you have used your diet for eleven years, the Wombaroo has been used for over 7 that I know of with no significant health issues.

Thank you, also good to know, I was asked in SA approximately how long the recognized diets have been around.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Gizmogirl] #990696
08/13/10 10:22 AM
08/13/10 10:22 AM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
Peggy, here is a link to the 2003 study, which is quite complete, describes the exact methodology in a lot of detail:

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/Sugar-Glider-Diet-Study.pdf

I believe when it was done the 3 most popular diets were BML, SunCoast, and monkey biscuit / cereal, which is why these 3 were tested. So this was done before a lot of the other diets became popular. All 3 of the diets tested contained a wide variety of ingredients - veggies, fruits, mealies, etc. 2 of the diets used a supplement.

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/
Re: Diet Talk [Re: jimbo] #990713
08/13/10 11:22 AM
08/13/10 11:22 AM
Florida
LabNGliderMom Offline
Glider Addict
LabNGliderMom  Offline
Glider Addict

Florida
I responded on LGG but am copying/pasting here as well for the benefit of those not on LGG to be able to see my responses:

I have absolutely NO idea- but if ANY have been (see answer to to next question)

Again, no idea, but IF there is a place then I'd LOVE to know where it is so I can do some research...

My gliders are all on HPW and all rescues that come through get HPW as well. My first ever glider was on Glide-R-Chow from Pocket Pets until I found the boards and got some advice. I talked to a few people about diet and then chose HPW based (honestly) on two things: [1] Tammy was close to me and offered to give me some Wombaroo powder and bee pollen so I could try making the diet without any expense and [2] I had "heard" through the grapevine that BML "stinks" and wasn' feeling "up to" the smell.

I lost a glider to bladder prolapse and bowel perforation (that started as a UTI) but since no other gliders in my home have any health issues and they are all on the same diet, I am not inclined to say it "as a related health issue"

I feed a combination of broccoli, green beans, carrots, peas, corn, lima beans, tomatoes, papaya, mango, orange, strawberries, blueberry, blackberry, cantaloupe, honeydew, and pineapple *most* of the time but occasionally add or change out for: apples, plums, kiwi, banana, cauliflower, eggplant, pear, watermelon, cucumber, lettuce, mushrooms, squash, and turnip greens or spinach.

I don't *personally* like the idea of a hard-pellet only diet (*only* because of eventual tooth issues that could conceivably occur, IMO) - BUT I like the idea of a pellet or hard food of SOME kind being added in occasionally to help *clean* the teeth.

In a *perfect world*, I'd like to see a diet that is great for gliders both nutritionally and which stimulates their foraging instincts and which keeps their teeth and organs and coats healthy which is also very easy for even a novice to feed to gliders (so that newcomers to the glider world are not overwhelmed and gliders don't suffer when new owners make mistakes or cut corners). .

And lastly, I'd LOVE to see this topic stay on topic but I am also interested in the SunCoast specific diet info being shared... I have started A NEW TOPIC about that - Because I want to know more...

Last edited by LabNGliderMom; 08/13/10 11:34 AM.

Julie
Hubby: George
Kids: Ayla & Michael
Grandsons: Trysten, Dayton, KJ & Nathyn
The Zoo: Midnight, Severe & Nala - Claude, Pixie, Tippy & Chili - Scout & Soluna, Theo & Deegie

http://hammockhavenpetsplus.com

Re: Diet Talk [Re: LabNGliderMom] #990714
08/13/10 11:26 AM
08/13/10 11:26 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN

I feed the PP diet. My gliders have all been on it since birth as the breeders also fed PP. So, 21 months here. Except for one month that I tried HPW, but didn't like it.

I overfed the vitamin to Oakley for a week (didn't measure it out) and he had calcium crystals in his urine.

I feed as much of a variety that I can. I usually make a point to pick up a couple high calcium items, like papayas, and I stay away from carrots, corn, and peas. But I usually just go to the grocery store and find 8 fruits and 8 veggies to feed. (always safe of course)

Okay, I love the PP diet, it would be nice if the vitamins were mixed in evenly, but I feel like my gliders get their fair share. And it is portioned, 1/8 tsp per glider.
HPW was just a mess over here. I tried to feed it the way Kristy feeds it, with fresh fruits and veggies, but it got to be such a mess at my house! The honey and fruit attracted flies and drove me NUTS! I also enjoy using honey as a licky treat, so I didn't like it in the diet.
I haven't used BML, but when I chose my diet, I didn't like needing to go to the pet store for the vitamins. Same reason I originally didn't want to feed HPW.

I think that the variety of diets offered is beneficial for the community, maybe Priscilla can find a way to make the vitamins able to be frozen. HPW having a plan for produce is a great idea. The idea of adding the calcium to the HPW mixture is a good one as well.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Diet Talk [Re: Gizmogirl] #990720
08/13/10 11:38 AM
08/13/10 11:38 AM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
i use the suncoast diet and have since my first glider (sugar). sugar was on the mike mcgrath diet for abt. 4 mos. when i switched to suncoast, she is now 3 1/2 yrs. old. all of my other gliders were put on suncoast as soon as i got them.
i feed a large variety of fruits/vegs, nectars, bugs, crickets, chicken, eggs (i add organic raw honey, org. apple juice and a few old fashioned mothers oats) and both kind of pellets from suncoast. i buy organic on everything (that is available) and use smart, fiji or a bottled water with the trace minerals, no tap water.

i dont use the reptile calcium or other vitamins/min. but use ensure and add the calcium to it.

since using the ensure (with adding calcium) lakota has gained some weight.
also, leah and lakota dont seem to like meal worms all of a sudden, this has been going on for abt. a month.

my gliders have all been healthy except for sugar(mill breeder) who got an abcess over her r eye and my vet and me worked on her for over a year, it has not come back this last time. thank god.

the other diets have some restrictions re fruits/vegs. or use a product that i dont care for.

i will continue with suncoast.

side note: since i replaced the vits./min. that suncoast calls for and switched to ensure with cal. added their coats are more soft and full. lakota gaining weight is a problem and if i cant stop this weight problem i will go back to the original vits./mins. that suncoast calls for.

regards,
nancy in fl now/detroit
p.s. leah and lakota have very healthy joeys. knock on wood.

Last edited by hwh4ev; 08/13/10 11:44 AM.

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 413 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,692 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024