Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
reducing smell #990269
08/12/10 04:42 PM
08/12/10 04:42 PM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Here is what has been recommended to me so far to keep the musk to a minimum:

Clean everything often (obviuos), but not everything at the same time (so they don't overmark and make everything smell worse bcause they are so upset that all their smell is gone)

Clean the pan OFTEN, every day if you want. And use either nothing in the drop pan or specially purchased pan lines that seem to hide the smell a bit

Glider Kitchen

Try not to use things that hold stench; like wood.

Glider Tea: mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar, honey, and water and put it in their water bottle once a month. (Is there any chance this can hurt them?)

Neuter

I've seen products from Suncoast. Anyone tried these or know of others? Any good or bad results?

Anything else? The cage is in my living room, so we want the least smell possible smile

wave Meri & :grey: :leu:
Re: reducing smell [Re: meri] #990330
08/12/10 07:12 PM
08/12/10 07:12 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Quote:
Glider Tea: mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar, honey, and water and put it in their water bottle once a month. (Is there any chance this can hurt them?)

I do not think I have seen this recommended by any member of this board. I do not think there is anything magical about drinking apple cider vinegar that will eliminate smells.

The only thing that should go in their water bottle is WATER. Honey or anything sugary will clog the ball on most water bottles and that metal tube is difficult to clean.

You will become accustomed to the smell and it will not be noticeable to you unless you have your nose right up to the cage.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: reducing smell [Re: CandyOtte] #990335
08/12/10 07:41 PM
08/12/10 07:41 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
There was a past thread about giving gliders cider vinegar. I can't remember what the consensus was.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: reducing smell [Re: tjlong] #990372
08/12/10 08:57 PM
08/12/10 08:57 PM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Ok, so if the vinegar mixture is deemed ok, then it should go in a bird water silo. I was told you put it in once a month just for one night. I won't use it until I am sure its ok. Tracy, let me know if you find that thread or if anyone else has info on that.

Re: reducing smell [Re: meri] #990376
08/12/10 09:02 PM
08/12/10 09:02 PM
conway south carolina/ us
heidi Offline
Glider Slave
heidi  Offline
Glider Slave

conway south carolina/ us
glidercage liners are the thing that saved my nose....i ordered two for every cage..everyday one goes in the wash then the clean one in the cage...also if the smell is that bad check your diet...there maybe something wrong...

"promise me you'll always remeber:you're braver than you believe,and stronger than you seem,and smarter than you think" christopher robin to pooh
Re: reducing smell [Re: meri] #990377
08/12/10 09:03 PM
08/12/10 09:03 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Check in Health and Hygiene, there was a thread in June. Also, try going to Active Search, click on Search and type in Vinegar then ask to go back 2 years. You'll find a couple of different threads. smile

Last edited by tjlong; 08/12/10 09:05 PM.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: reducing smell [Re: tjlong] #990547
08/13/10 01:17 AM
08/13/10 01:17 AM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Thanks, Tracy!

Ok, so the one from last year said that you should just put a couple of drops in their water bottle (at least, that's what I got out of it). But not for smell, its to keep the bacteria in their intestines down. They also recommended bene bac to help with internal bacteria.

Ok, so nothing about it helping with smell. Someone who has been on here a LONG time told me about that, I thought it was common knowlege among the old timers smile If nobody seems to do it anymore I will skip the vinegar.

Re: reducing smell [Re: meri] #990549
08/13/10 01:21 AM
08/13/10 01:21 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I definitely don't know anything about vinegar and smells so it must have been long before my time. laugh

As for the other things, it sounds like you've got things down pretty well. Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry too much about their smell. If their diet is right on and you're feeding it correctly, and you don't leave the tray for any longer than two days, I doubt you'll smell anything at all. And if you do, it'll be right when you walk up to the cage. I think you'll be fine with it in the livingroom!

Re: reducing smell [Re: DCMuffin] #990554
08/13/10 01:36 AM
08/13/10 01:36 AM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Ok, great smile

Heidi, what cage liners do you love? Have you tried several, or just knew what you wanted and got it?

Re: reducing smell [Re: meri] #990557
08/13/10 01:39 AM
08/13/10 01:39 AM
Illinois
tlc_in_chitown Offline
Glider Explorer
tlc_in_chitown  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
I give my gliders a few new Euc leaves and twigs every time I change out their cage sets and clean their cage. It keeps them smelling fresh in between cage cleanings, especially when they line their pouch with the leaves. It is a natural air freshener for thier cages. I don't know that I would go messing with their intestinal bacteria, because of not liking their smell, without runing it by a respectable vet. I am pretty picky about my guys being clean and do have unneutered males. I clean my cages thoroughly once a week and spot clean every day or two (wiping out their drop pan, wheel, and any visible food bits). If you only have one cage, it should be easy to keep up on cleanings. If it is the males scent that bothers you and everything else doesnt seem to be working well enough for you, then neutering the male reduces scent. Breeding gliders also scent mark more. Try the Euc from Mat at Euc products, he is always helpful and great to work with :-)

I think the thought with vinegar was something to do with PH, but I know I wouldn't want to drink vinegar water if I was them :-(

Re: reducing smell [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #990587
08/13/10 03:19 AM
08/13/10 03:19 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Their smell is faint and is hardly noticeable when you keep their habitat clean, have them on a good diet, and in good health.

I clean the drop trays first thing every morning together with the food bowls and water bottles.

On Mondays I wash pouches, Wednesdays - toy washing (wheels included), Thursdays I wash blankies, and the cages gets thoroughly washed every weekend.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: reducing smell [Re: Gizmogirl] #990635
08/13/10 08:25 AM
08/13/10 08:25 AM

M
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
M

One thing that helps to cut down on smell is remembering NOT to change the pouch and clean the cage simultaneously. This is because gliders will be inclined to want to "rescent' their home to their own smell. So, I never do both at the same time.

I have never heard of this special vinegar watercombination. I do know that putting sugar in the water will cause it to go bad and grow "funk" quickly.

I am intrigued by the euc leaves? Where do you buy them tlc_in _chitown?

Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992380
08/16/10 04:11 PM
08/16/10 04:11 PM

M
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
M

This post got me to thinking about bedding alternatives. I was happy with mine now, but the power of suggestion got me to thinking of other ways to improve it, ease of clean up.

So, I googled PINE shavings for sugar glider bedding. It turns out that some people use it, I never have. I know that cedar is bad, bad, bad, as it is poisonous. Pine is supposed to be pure and free of that sort of contaminate. Yet, I find myself questioning whether or not the shavings would promote allergens or dust particles in the respiratory system. Has anyone ever tried pure pine or even aspen shavings? What are your thoughts? For now, I'm sticking with my tried and true method of changing cage liners daily.

Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992399
08/16/10 04:38 PM
08/16/10 04:38 PM

C
cleorotc
Unregistered
cleorotc
Unregistered
C

I thought Pine was poisonous...

Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992401
08/16/10 04:42 PM
08/16/10 04:42 PM

C
cleorotc
Unregistered
cleorotc
Unregistered
C

Has anyone ever used carbon packets to absorb oder? I bought a small package intended for rodent cages called Eixt Odor from a co called lixit. it was only a buck and says it works for 3 months...

Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992566
08/16/10 10:44 PM
08/16/10 10:44 PM

M
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
M

I have always thought that all wood was poisonous and have never used shavings of any kind. Today I found some different info on the net; however, we know that you can't believe everything that you read. This e-article said that untreated, kiln dried pine was fine for suggies' bedding. I don't know what to think of that. I know that cedar definitely is because of the stuff in it. I had always assumed that ALL wood chips were poisonous and have never used them. This same article also concurred with the universal standard that cedar is not good for gliders). Still, I'm extremely dubious.

So, is everyone in agreement that untreated, kiln dried pine and aspen are poisonous, just as we know that cedar is? Or is there a differing opinion out there?

Also, reiterating my first post about this...I'm also concerned about the respiratory effects on the gliders from inhaling the shavings.

What does everyone think?

Last edited by Miniwidgie; 08/16/10 10:47 PM.
Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992579
08/16/10 11:08 PM
08/16/10 11:08 PM

M
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
M

I haven't used carbon packs for gliders and wouldn't put it close to the cage for fear that somehow they might grab it and drag it inside their cage and eat it. I have used the carbon packs with my cat litter box and didn't notice any difference in odor at all.

Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992580
08/16/10 11:09 PM
08/16/10 11:09 PM
Colorado, USA
Paani Offline
Glider Lover
Paani  Offline
Glider Lover

Colorado, USA
Not sure why aspen would be considered poisonous; I saw it on a list of safe woods along with willow, apple, etc.. I suspect the concern about pine would be with the resins (essentially turpentine) that protect it (and cedar) from rot.

Nala, Ronald & Reuel (formerly Eladio & Petal) :plat:
Judah :rbridge: Anson :rbridge: Lele :rbridge: Laki :rbridge:
Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992581
08/16/10 11:10 PM
08/16/10 11:10 PM

M
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
M

Yeah...me, too...I'm looking for the majority opinion and better yet, a credible source onlin, lol! Thanks for your input..that's 2 for no pine! grin

Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992585
08/16/10 11:23 PM
08/16/10 11:23 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

This link HERE is to the glider safe/unsafe plants & trees. Hopefully it'll help.

Re: reducing smell [Re: DCMuffin] #992599
08/17/10 12:19 AM
08/17/10 12:19 AM
Illinois
tlc_in_chitown Offline
Glider Explorer
tlc_in_chitown  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
Miniwidgie~
Sorry for delay in response. I don't get on here much these days. The website is www.eucproducts.com and I think Matt runs an ad in the classified section here also. Love his stuff and have been using it for a while now. It is safe for our fuzzies. The have mixed starter packs and my gliders love Euc day at my house. It takes their mind off of the fact that I washed all of their stink away :-)

Re: reducing smell [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #992618
08/17/10 01:59 AM
08/17/10 01:59 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I put a mix of dried lemon grass and euc leaves in the bottom of the cage and they smell wonderful. Especially the lemon grass. Covers up any smell there might be. I change the paper in the bottom of the pan twice a week, wipe the pan with a "natures miracle" wipe, add new paper and another sprinkle of the lemon grass. No smell at all...well...except for the lemon grass, which is a nice clean smell.

when I have visitors they mention they are surprised at the lack of animal smell

PM me if you want to know more about the lemon grass

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: reducing smell [Re: tlc_in_chitown] #992739
08/17/10 10:12 AM
08/17/10 10:12 AM

M
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
M

Thanks!

Re: reducing smell [Re: Paani] #992744
08/17/10 10:16 AM
08/17/10 10:16 AM

M
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
Miniwidgie
Unregistered
M

Hey, would you please share with me the link that you found which said Aspen was safe? I didn't see it on the list the DCMuffin gave to me...

Thanks!

Last edited by Miniwidgie; 08/17/10 10:17 AM.
Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992836
08/17/10 12:36 PM
08/17/10 12:36 PM

T
Tokala
Unregistered
Tokala
Unregistered
T

The only thing that really ever gets to smelling funky in my cage is the wheel. I hose down the cage about every weekend and give a really good scrub down once or twice a month. Keeping the pouch clean with really cut down on smell as well. I wash mine pretty often.

And I would just like to say.. who ever thought up the glider kitchen is amazing. You have saved my walls from getting cleaned every week smile I owe you!

Re: reducing smell [Re: ] #992991
08/17/10 06:01 PM
08/17/10 06:01 PM
nc, usa
meri Offline OP
Glider Lover
meri  Offline OP
Glider Lover

nc, usa
Ok, this may be a "no way" but the lemongrass got me thinking, baking soda reduces any smell. Can you just sprinkle baking soda in the bottom, or could it hurt them if they got to it?

Re: reducing smell [Re: meri] #993046
08/17/10 07:18 PM
08/17/10 07:18 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
I feel there are a lot of folks over reacting to the smell of their gliders - in this thread there seems to be a lot of concern by those that do not yet have gliders.

All animals have smells. I had hamsters as a child - they were much worse than my gliders. Do not get me started on cat boxes - we had as many as 6 house cats at one time with boxes in three different bathrooms.

Gliders do have a sweet/musky smell. You will get used to it.

I would not put baking soda, charcoal, wood shavings of any kind or anything else loose in the cage pan. My gliders reach down to retrieve dropped food, stray meal worms and small toys that are in the pan. Any loose odor control substance could be reached and ingested.

A sheet of paper lining the pan, changed daily if you are really worried about smelling anything, is an easy way to quickly clean the pan.

Enjoy your gliders. Like children, there are changes to your lifestyle when gliders become part of the family. Go with the flow and do not create so much stress for yourself over their smell.

You cannot keep them 100% odorless - but you can choose not to own gliders or any other pets if an odorless home is the goal.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: reducing smell [Re: CandyOtte] #993055
08/17/10 07:36 PM
08/17/10 07:36 PM
Missouri
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian
Mastiff_Mama  Offline
Glider Guardian

Missouri
I agree about the smell not being bad and you getting used to it. I have OCD, so before anyone come's to my house, I MUST do a surgical scrub on everything. I better not find a dog hair or anything out of place, yet alone a strange animal smell. My friend's say I am nuts since my house is too clean, but hey, I dont have any kids yet so let me bask in my glory smile

My father in law came over without notice so I went into a panic attack, almost hyper-ventilating. It had been at least or so since I did a FULl scrub on the glider cage. It was the first time he had ever seen the gliders so he immidiately walked over to the cage and stuck his face right up to the bars to see them. I was horrified. I told him to back away from the cage and I would scrub it real quick so he could get a closer look again. He looked at me with the strangest face and said it smelled like a sweet "fermenting" smell. He said it wasn't bad at all and it just smelled like we were making home made beer or something. He also said he only smelled it when he was a few inches away from the cage.

From that moment forward, I haven't freaked out as much about their cage and everything else. I personally do not ever smell them, unless I am scrubbing their wheel (which won't be as bad since I ordered by Stealth)

I can honestly say, I would rather be in a hoome that has 12 gliders, verses a home with 6 cats. No offense to any cat people, I had a cat once too smile

-Amber Nicole
Mama to 2 Mastiffs... Sonja & Angel
and
A Slave To Many... :grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo:
A loving wife to Chris

***Sprinkled With Sugar Paradise***
http://swsp.weebly.com
Re: reducing smell [Re: CandyOtte] #993248
08/18/10 02:47 AM
08/18/10 02:47 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: OtteMom

All animals have smells. I had hamsters as a child - they were much worse than my gliders. Do not get me started on cat boxes - we had as many as 6 house cats at one time with boxes in three different bathrooms.

Gliders do have a sweet/musky smell. You will get used to it.

I would not put baking soda, charcoal, wood shavings of any kind or anything else loose in the cage pan. My gliders reach down to retrieve dropped food, stray meal worms and small toys that are in the pan. Any loose odor control substance could be reached and ingested.

Enjoy your gliders. Like children, there are changes to your lifestyle when gliders become part of the family. Go with the flow and do not create so much stress for yourself over their smell.

You cannot keep them 100% odorless - but you can choose not to own gliders or any other pets if an odorless home is the goal.

good advice! the lemon grass is edible, by the way so safe if they do eat it. but truthfully have never seen them try to.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: reducing smell [Re: meri] #998895
08/30/10 10:42 PM
08/30/10 10:42 PM

S
Shellsdoll
Unregistered
Shellsdoll
Unregistered
S

i bought an air purifier and it's in the room with my gliders. at first they were afraid of it but after a couple nights with it left on they just got used to it. it completly takes the smell away. i love it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024