Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Researching before I adopt #1413871
12/29/17 11:14 AM
12/29/17 11:14 AM
North Carolina, United States
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Hello all! wave
My husband and I are interested in adopting a pair of gliders. Before we do however we want to learn all there is to know so we are well prepared before diving in. I have a ton of questions and any advice is welcome!

1. I found a cage on Amazon that is wrought iron and quite a few reviewers say their gliders love it. Are wrought iron cages good to use for gliders? It's 30x18x72 (very tall).

2. I was raised around caring for and raising birds. As such there are specific toys that they cannot have. Are there any toys I should steer clear of when getting playthings for my gliders? (I plan to have everything ready beforehand)

3. When cage cleaning what is best recommend for cleaning cage, toys, and pouches? (What cleaners)

4. What fruits/vegetables/foods should I stay away from when it comes to their diet? My husband wants to do premade mixes but I would like to mix my own here and there for extra variety.

5. Concerning holes- our living room is made of plank-board walls, old house. I plan to seal any cracks but what should be my main focus size-wise to keep them from getting stuck in or behind the wall/under doors.

6. How/what should be used when bathing them? (Assuming they get some sort of bath/cleaning)

7. For the emergency medical kit what supplies should I always keep on hand to be prepared in case something happens until I get them to a vet.

8. Watering - is there a specific size/type/brand of water dispenser to use for them? Also what water is best? Would a purifier on the sink work or would it be recommended to buy purified bottled water (especially in the odd chance our water is shut off)

So far this is all I can think of. I've done tons of research but find varying answers. I know a lot is dependant on your glider and the breeder but I would like to have a good handle on basics beforehand and easily adjust afterwards.

All advice is welcome, sorry for the long post!!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413873
12/29/17 11:55 AM
12/29/17 11:55 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: PandaPants
Hello all! wave
My husband and I are interested in adopting a pair of gliders. Before we do however we want to learn all there is to know so we are well prepared before diving in. I have a ton of questions and any advice is welcome!

1. I found a cage on Amazon that is wrought iron and quite a few reviewers say their gliders love it. Are wrought iron cages good to use for gliders? It's 30x18x72 (very tall).
That cage should be large enough, what is the bar spacing? It should be 1/2 inch or less.

2. I was raised around caring for and raising birds. As such there are specific toys that they cannot have. Are there any toys I should steer clear of when getting playthings for my gliders? (I plan to have everything ready beforehand)

The gliders should not have anything made of rope, they can get their toe nails caught in it. Everything we make for gliders is fleece, pouches have hidden seams. You should check your pouches daily for loose threads or if they have opened up a seam. Loose threads can get wrapped up around their legs and cut the circulation off. You also need to check pouches for your hair as that will do the same as a long thread.

3. When cage cleaning what is best recommend for cleaning cage, toys, and pouches? (What cleaners)

I use dawn dish soap to wash the cage and toys. I wash their pouches in regular detergent that I use on my clothes.

4. What fruits/vegetables/foods should I stay away from when it comes to their diet? My husband wants to do premade mixes but I would like to mix my own here and there for extra variety.

If you click on the word diet it will take you to the database of diets. I use Critterlove Plus with the recommended salad mixtures. Critterlove diets are the most extensively tested diets and there are 5 salad mixtures that you rotate through. You can find out more about Critterlove on their web site. Critterlove Diets

5. Concerning holes- our living room is made of plank-board walls, old house. I plan to seal any cracks but what should be my main focus size-wise to keep them from getting stuck in or behind the wall/under doors. I would say that anything bigger than 1/2 inch. If you choose to do bathroom time check where the pipes come out of the walls to make sure they can't get into the wall. I recommend tent time over bathroom time.

6. How/what should be used when bathing them? (Assuming they get some sort of bath/cleaning)

Generally gliders don't need to be bathed. If they get into some thing that would make them sick if they were to clean themselves up or if they have been in an ecollar for any length of time. If those circumstances happen then Original Dawn dish soap is what I recommend.

7. For the emergency medical kit what supplies should I always keep on hand to be prepared in case something happens until I get them to a vet.

This link should help you: http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...ared#Post617336

8. Watering - is there a specific size/type/brand of water dispenser to use for them? Also what water is best? Would a purifier on the sink work or would it be recommended to buy purified bottled water (especially in the odd chance our water is shut off)

Tap water is find for them, but if you want to use bottled water that is fine too. Just do not use distilled water.

So far this is all I can think of. I've done tons of research but find varying answers. I know a lot is dependant on your glider and the breeder but I would like to have a good handle on basics beforehand and easily adjust afterwards.

:welcome2:

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: Feather] #1413875
12/29/17 12:05 PM
12/29/17 12:05 PM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Thank you Feather!

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: Feather] #1413876
12/29/17 12:12 PM
12/29/17 12:12 PM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: Feather
Hello all! wave

That cage should be large enough, what is the bar spacing? It should be 1/2 inch or less.

The gliders should not have anything made of rope, they can get their toe nails caught in it. Everything we make for gliders is fleece, pouches have hidden seams. You should check your pouches daily for loose threads or if they have opened up a seam. Loose threads can get wrapped up around their legs and cut the circulation off. You also need to check pouches for your hair as that will do the same as a long thread.

I use dawn dish soap to wash the cage and toys. I wash their pouches in regular detergent that I use on my clothes.

If you click on the word diet it will take you to the database of diets. I use Critterlove Plus with the recommended salad mixtures. Critterlove diets are the most extensively tested diets and there are 5 salad mixtures that you rotate through. You can find out more about Critterlove on their web site. Critterlove Diets

5. Concerning holes- our living room is made of plank-board walls, old house. I plan to seal any cracks but what should be my main focus size-wise to keep them from getting stuck in or behind the wall/under doors. I would say that anything bigger than 1/2 inch. If you choose to do bathroom time check where the pipes come out of the walls to make sure they can't get into the wall. I recommend tent time over bathroom time.

Generally gliders don't need to be bathed. If they get into some thing that would make them sick if they were to clean themselves up or if they have been in an ecollar for any length of time. If those circumstances happen then Original Dawn dish soap is what I recommend.

This link should help you: http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...ared#Post617336

Tap water is find for them, but if you want to use bottled water that is fine too. Just do not use distilled water.

:welcome2:

Sorry my phone does t like to work proper.

The cage spacing is 1/2 inch like you said.
It is good to know that dawn can be used for them as well! It's like a wonder soap haha!

As far as pouches go I've found large and small ones. What would the difference be there? Are smalls for babies?
Also I'll be sure to get ones that are safe, it would be terrible for their feet to get stuck!

Last edited by PandaPants; 12/29/17 12:13 PM. Reason: Auto correct hates me
Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413878
12/29/17 12:41 PM
12/29/17 12:41 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
As far as pouches go I've found large and small ones. What would the difference be there? Are smalls for babies?

The smaller pouches are normally used for a pair of gliders while the large to XXL pouches are used for families or colonies.

It really doesn't matter if you put a large pouch in with a pair especially if there are several little "blankies" in there for them to snuggle down into. That also gives them a choice.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: KarenE] #1413879
12/29/17 01:25 PM
12/29/17 01:25 PM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: KarenE

The smaller pouches are normally used for a pair of gliders while the large to XXL pouches are used for families or colonies.

It really doesn't matter if you put a large pouch in with a pair especially if there are several little "blankies" in there for them to snuggle down into. That also gives them a choice.

Okay that makes sense thank you! And blankets are only fleece ones with hidden seems right?

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413881
12/29/17 02:55 PM
12/29/17 02:55 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Blankets or blankies as some of us call them are simply little squares of fleece we cut for them. Usually anywhere between 4 X 4 or 6 x 6's. This time of year, the more you give them, the better they like it. You will find them all snuggled down into them.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413882
12/29/17 03:04 PM
12/29/17 03:04 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Welcome to Glider Central!

Blankies are 4x4" or 5x5" cut pieces of fleece. No seams to worry about.

Kim has given you a lot of great advise.

My gliders eat Critter Love Complete, and 1 of the 5 salads Srlb (Peggy Brewer) suggests to go with her nectars.

My girls are 3.5 yrd old, and they prefer larger pouches. Plus I can safely reach in with a large piece of fleece when needed and bring them out.

Unless your gliders were hand raised, they won't like to be handled much. Mine still don't like to be held, they do tolerate them now.

Nail clippers you will need to feel good about clipping nails.

The cage you're looking at is plenty big, I cost to go smaller for reaching, cleaning. I'm not as young or skinny like I used to be . Lol!

Please keep us posted, and ask any questions please.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413892
12/30/17 08:38 AM
12/30/17 08:38 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
:welcomegc:

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413893
12/30/17 08:59 AM
12/30/17 08:59 AM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Thank you Daw and Terry. I'll definitely keep y'all posted and you can be sure I'll be asking questions haha!

Does anyone play music for their gliders? Do they like it? Or do noises bother them? I've got a toddler and she can be loud sometimes.

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413895
12/30/17 10:37 AM
12/30/17 10:37 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
You are welcome!

They do grow accustomed to noises. Our house gets too quiet sometimes, and at night, ours will bark. So while we are working at night I sometimes leave the TV going. That's one of the drawbacks of having gliders is they will bark at night. sounds like a small puppy. We sleep through it when we are home.

I do sing to mine. They will sit up at night, and listen to "The song of my people". They will watch me, nibble on their food, or groom themselves while listening. Last night, they sat side by side fidgeting/ grooming. It reminded me of children sitting through a sermon at church. I sang soft melodies, and when my concert was done, they both went to bed for a nap...

Music during the day might help with the sudden bangs of typical toddler play, especially at first. But they will eventually get used to it and will anticipate the noises over time.

Will they be in the same room as the toddler?

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413899
12/30/17 12:58 PM
12/30/17 12:58 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
They will acclimate to whatever is going on in your home once they settle in to their surroundings i.e. sights, sounds, smells, temperature and noise.

True, some gliders are more noise sensitive than others but generally once they get used to whatever happens in your home, they are okay. Most tune out everything once they settle down for the night (our day).

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413906
12/30/17 08:15 PM
12/30/17 08:15 PM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
You are welcome!

They do grow accustomed to noises. Our house gets too quiet sometimes, and at night, ours will bark. So while we are working at night I sometimes leave the TV going. That's one of the drawbacks of having gliders is they will bark at night. sounds like a small puppy. We sleep through it when we are home.

I do sing to mine. They will sit up at night, and listen to "The song of my people". They will watch me, nibble on their food, or groom themselves while listening. Last night, they sat side by side fidgeting/ grooming. It reminded me of children sitting through a sermon at church. I sang soft melodies, and when my concert was done, they both went to bed for a nap...

Music during the day might help with the sudden bangs of typical toddler play, especially at first. But they will eventually get used to it and will anticipate the noises over time.

Will they be in the same room as the toddler?

That is great news that they enjoy music! I will definitely keep the tv or something on to start with so that my toddler's random outbursts don't startle them too much. She loves cartoons anyway so the tv running is already commonplace for us. Hopefully it will help with the dogs barking as they bark if they hear someone pull into the driveway, but they will be completely separated.

As far as being in the same room, no--except for when my daughter is being supervised--we will keep them separate. My husband works from home so he will always be there to monitor. We also plan to get a tall stand/table for our glider cage so that she cannot throw things in the cage or stick her fingers inside.

Do they bark at night because they need something or is it more of a playful type thing? I sleep lightly most of the time but can sleep through things I've gotten used to. My husband sleeps very heavily haha

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413907
12/30/17 08:35 PM
12/30/17 08:35 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Well, the may or may not bark for the following reasons:

A shadow moves

A new smell

The wind blows

They want attention or they miss you

They want a treat(don't start this one Lol)

Just because they want you "Tell you the story of their people"

It is what they do to alert the colony to something.

When Fiona was a single, she was barking to see if any other gliders would answer back.

They normally don't bark all night, and not every night.

We keep ours in our bedroom, so I can sit up and check on them, and they can see us. After all this time, I just smile, and roll over. Its kinda cute, and relaxing to me.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413910
12/30/17 09:05 PM
12/30/17 09:05 PM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
Well, the may or may not bark for the following reasons:

A shadow moves

A new smell

The wind blows

They want attention or they miss you

They want a treat(don't start this one Lol)

Just because they want you "Tell you the story of their people"

It is what they do to alert the colony to something.

When Fiona was a single, she was barking to see if any other gliders would answer back.

They normally don't bark all night, and not every night.

We keep ours in our bedroom, so I can sit up and check on them, and they can see us. After all this time, I just smile, and roll over. Its kinda cute, and relaxing to me.

I most likely will do the same, as far as checking on them and having them near. I have read in multiple places about them barking because of a need or just being playful. They remind me a lot of babies. My husband usually stays up later than I do but I am sure I will be checking on them like a mommy would lol!

I am super excited to adopt my first pair, we are still getting prepared though. We don't want to go in half-ready and realize we are missing important things.

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413911
12/30/17 09:14 PM
12/30/17 09:14 PM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

One last question before I settle the munchkin in for the night,

I know that suggies are natural insectivores but are there bugs that they should not eat?

We sometimes get stinkbugs and ladybugs around outside during parts of the year. Should I be concerned about them getting ahold of one should it get inside?

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: PandaPants] #1413914
12/30/17 10:38 PM
12/30/17 10:38 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin

I know that suggies are natural insectivores but are there bugs that they should not eat?

We sometimes get stinkbugs and ladybugs around outside during parts of the year. Should I be concerned about them getting ahold of one should it get inside?

You don't want them to have outside bugs as you don't know what has come into contact with pesticides or other sprays.

Stick with meal worms, Camille's has the best.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Researching before I adopt [Re: Feather] #1413921
12/31/17 10:54 AM
12/31/17 10:54 AM
PandaPants Offline OP
PandaPants  Offline OP

Originally Posted By: Feather

You don't want them to have outside bugs as you don't know what has come into contact with pesticides or other sprays.

Stick with meal worms, Camille's has the best.

Okay thanks.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 324 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,076 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024