Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) #4996
07/02/00 07:10 PM
07/02/00 07:10 PM
Bee-Bopping round SnakePit USA
B
Bourbon Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
B

Contrary to common beliefs Baybe was NOT a sweet glider when I first got her, she was the "normal" glider that most peole get. I had already researched 6 months when I went to see her, I had to convice my hubby how special they were. I wasn't concerned about his research, as with most men, I took care of the kids, animals and house.. All I had to do was convince him to allow one in the house.. So I kinda snuck in going to see her..It was at a breeder nearby, and all I wanted to do was show him one.. I had no intentions of getting her, I hadn't gotten the cage or wire or anything.. Just looking..<BR>well we pulled up and went into the breeders.. she had a couple very large dogs, when we went into the glider room, she had no carpet on the floor, and the dogs had no prob with jumping on the cages and barking very loudly..The only she was feeding was catfood, and fruit..<BR>She had several cages all with breeders.. I told her I wanted to see what she had.. she pulled Baybe out first..at this time she was already 6 months oop..she reached in with a glove, all of the gliders were crabbing, in Baybe's parents cage, the gliders were biting at the glove.. she brought Baybe out, also biting and crabbing. Baybe came out and jumped on My hubby.. and ran around on him, she chased the dogs out and I shut the door. After about 10 mins of finding out what (not) to feed them, hubby says we will take her. I told him we were not going to take the first one we seen.. she brought out others but they wouldn't come to us, Baybe would not leave hubby..so I ran out to the car and grabbed another shirt and put it on, we left there with her that day, in between both shirts.. We stocked up on bird food, catfood, and fruits and veggies, stopped at the hardware store picked up stuff for a cage. went home and proceeded to build the cage..<BR>We got half of it done by nightfall. While we were building it she jumped from me to the tree, I didn't think my old bones could move so fast.. I got to the first branch before she did.. the whole time she was biting and crabbing...<BR>We took half the cage in the house,, 2'X 2' x 3', and put her in it with a tissue roll and a sock...she was in a spare room, I walked by that evening and layed my shirt on the cage to cover it. much like a bird cage... I tried reaching in and getting her out, again she bit me, this time very very hard, enough to draw blood.<BR>I looked at her deep into her eyes, and told her I deserved that, I knew better, I seen she was very very scared.. I knew I needed to give her time to adjust...<BR> After a month, stories started coming out about the cat food, and bird seed. It was through emails then, we had no message boards for gliders.. Ruth had aquired the recipe for the Taronga Zoo diet.. so on the quest we went to find the ingredients..<BR>I realized then that I was very lucky to have Baybe still alive. I started reading about the emmense hlp that was running rampant through the sg community. and I was heck bent on trying to stop it. Much like a cancer research person. I learned that everything that the breeders said and did was wrong..she knew nothing about these guys, but she seen the dollar signs in her eyes.. The gloves, the crabbing, the biting.. all are sure signs that the gliders are scared, and don't trust their owner..At the time I was working with kids and teens that were in foster homes, I seen the same look that I seen with Baybe before, I knew before anything else would be done, I would have to earn her trust..I would have been perfectly happy to have her just the way she was, although to me, she didn't seem too happy at all. That I was going to change...My dogs became outdoor dogs at that point, I was going to remove anything that may frighten her. I sat in the room for several hours each night when she awoke, talking with her, offering her licky foods, so she would associate my hands with good things..(I won't say what I used at the time), I later learned they were unacceptable.. Without being able to listen to what other people had learned, My Baybe may not have survived as long as long as she has. part 2 at a later date...

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #4997
07/02/00 08:06 PM
07/02/00 08:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is wonderful...Please do tell us more soon. I have visited with Baybee on a few occasions and she is a very special glider...I love hearing all about the begining of you two.

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #4998
07/02/00 08:36 PM
07/02/00 08:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bourbon,<BR>Thank you for sharing. I am looking foward to hearing the rest. I am very interested and am trying to learn as much as I can from your words. I really want to "reach" my glider, if you know what I mean, "bond with her as closely as possible". Thanks again. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]<P>------------------<BR> []http://members.aol.com/chancyglider/myhomepage/chancyglider.jpg[/] <BR><I>Luv,</I><BR><B>Chancy</B>, Crimsie, Clover, Cherie, Mikey, and soon a lil glider! <P><I>"Glider love is the hardest to gain, but the best to obtain!"</I><P><I>"Go for the good of the glider!"</I> - Cynthia Whiteshell<P> []ChancyGlider@aol.com[/]

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #4999
07/02/00 09:59 PM
07/02/00 09:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i also really injoy hearing your story. you two seem to have a very speical bond. and your words really do mean alot to alot of people. i know i have never talked to you personally before but i read every thing you post and find you to be a wonderful resource to many glider owners! and i just wanted to say thank you! []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5000
07/02/00 11:51 PM
07/02/00 11:51 PM
Virginia Beach, VA.
Ellen Offline
Owner:Emeritus-Mother Hen
Ellen  Offline

Virginia Beach, VA.
I have heard this before and it still makes me cry.<P>Can't wait for you to write part 2.<P>Although some may think this belongs in Glider Talk, I want to leave it here as those of us who are try SO HARD to bond with out kids will benifit from this story. Believe me.<P>------------------<BR>Love and kindness is a gift. Use it freely

Love and kindness is a gift. Use it freely....
My Gallery
Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5001
07/03/00 01:02 AM
07/03/00 01:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You should tell stories like this around a campfire at the glider getaway. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] <P>------------------<BR>Amy, Jonesy, Smei<BR>"You lost today, kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it." Indiana Jonesy and the Last Crusade

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5002
07/03/00 04:17 AM
07/03/00 04:17 AM
B
Bourbon Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
B

Ellen, I was very choosy where I posted this, as this entire story is bonding related. I get so many request for the story of Baybe. And many emails that think she was a sweet glider from the start. I had to learn as Chancy put it to "reach" Baybe, with those techniques I not only reached her, I was also able to teach others how to reach theirs.. This would be a great place for others to add their stories, that have used "Baybe's techniques to reach theirs . especially after long periods of time..<BR>Calling out to ...Holly - 4 years, Chris- 6 years, Kim - 6 months, holly and Chris now have pocket Gliders....after those specified times.. I know there are many more here but these cases were very special to my heart..<BR>John, you have your own story... These stories are real. they happen. I have heard from so many people that they just need to know that it MAY be possible.... Tell me all.. is it possible? no matter how mean they are...? Maria, Ellen,....<BR>Amy, we do plan on a special treat for the getaway, yes, I will be there, as will many other veterns. We have a singer from Nashville, coming in who is awsome, and yes, stories out the yingyang.. Baybe is a regualr visitor there as well. I sure hope you are going to make it as well...<p>[This message has been edited by Bourbon (edited 07-03-2000).]

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5003
07/03/00 05:52 AM
07/03/00 05:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bourbon-<BR>I love when you post! You always tell us such great stuff. I love hearing about you n Baybee. I can't wait until part 2 []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/]<BR>Love April

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5004
07/03/00 06:19 AM
07/03/00 06:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, thank you, Bourbon! I love your posts, and I am learning so much! My Stuart will be grateful, too.

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5005
07/03/00 08:30 AM
07/03/00 08:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, Bourbon, it is possible at any age with any glider. I got my first 3 gliders as a trade from the petstore. Apparently they had been told they were illegal and wanted to be able to sic the Dep't of Wildlife on somebody else []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] These little guys were scared to death and it took months (and lots of bites) but by the time it was done, they were all sweet, loving gliders. Even wild caught gliders can be tamed with love & patience.

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5006
07/03/00 05:10 PM
07/03/00 05:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bourbon,<P>I want to take a moment to thank you for this great story... therefor I am happy to give you the Golden Glider Heart Award...<P>If you like you may copy it down and Place it on your web page... You hon are the first to recieve this....<P><BR>Thanks so Much!!!<P> []http://sgpouch.homestead.com/files/GLIDERHEART.JPG[/] <P>------------------<BR>"Glideritis is wonderful and awful at the same time isn't it?" ~ Our Beloved Cynthia Whiteshell<P><B>Jaccobb<BR>Kyle, Donna<BR>Pharaoh, Amen Ra<BR>Anubis, Anuksa Moon<BR>and the babies,<BR>Ba and Ka</B><P>Decaf coffie is for people who just don't get it...

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5007
07/03/00 06:05 PM
07/03/00 06:05 PM
B
Bourbon Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
B

Jaccobb, Dear I would love to proudly post that at the top of the page, I do however have it on the page but, it is at the bottom of the box, as I didn't want to lose sight of why it was recieved.. The information for glider owners.. Thank you my dear, I will treasure it..

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5008
07/03/00 08:40 PM
07/03/00 08:40 PM
Virginia Beach, VA.
Ellen Offline
Ellen  Offline

Virginia Beach, VA.
Bourbon you deserve it my dear. And Jaccobb thank you for makeing that for her.<P>B. when do we get the rest of the story?<P>And yes after 5years of having gliders I can tell you what a differnce it makes even all the work you put into them. The trust you finially build and finially be able to look in to those little eyes and understand them.<P>And to Baybe who is truly outstanding. Bourbon you two are a team and have shown so many folks how a glider human relationship can be. Thank you both.<P>Ellen and Bruce and all the gliders in our home.<P>------------------<BR>Love and kindness is a gift. Use it freely

Love and kindness is a gift. Use it freely....
My Gallery
Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5009
07/03/00 09:22 PM
07/03/00 09:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WEll I didn't have my glider for years before we started bonding. I was very lucky to meet Bourbon before I got my first glider, and she helped us to start bonding early on. However recently my glider has turned aggressive recently because of the death of his mate. He takes out is anger on me...and with Bourbons help things are getting better evryday. He still seems mad at me...but bourbon has helped us to get back on track. I don't believe it is ever too late...or that a glider can ever be too "mean". I belive gliders feel emotions like anger, fear, neglect, and so on. I do believe that gliders express this emotion and that it is our job as their friends to earn their trust and love. I don't believe in gliders being mean...I belive in them expressing their emotions.

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5010
07/04/00 03:16 AM
07/04/00 03:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bourbon, thankyou for writing about u're Baybe. u're page helped me turn the two gliders i got that were biters into sweeties, and my nice little boy is even greater. please tell us more about Baybe. <P>------------------<BR>My reality check just bounced.<BR>Rocky, Bullwinkle and 2 new babies<BR>Natasha and her new baby<BR>" Go for the good of the glider" - Cynthia

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5011
07/04/00 11:21 AM
07/04/00 11:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi Bourbon,<BR>Thanks for sharing about Baybe and the progress you made. I can't wait to hear the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey says []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/]<BR>*** Also, thanks for the advice []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/] Last week I received conflicting advice about traveling with Bailey (new mommy), Gizmo (new daddy) and the new joeys. I had planned to take them with me on a trip to visit my sisters, but someone told me that the parents would become so stressed they would very likely cannabalize the joeys. I was really in a dither and I called Bourbon. It was the first time we had ever talked. We discussed several things, and she basically told me I knew my gliders better than anyone else. I needed that reassurance to make my decision. I decided they would be more upset being left alone and having someone else feed them. So I took them and we all had a great time. I haven't had them long enough to be as close as some of you, but I knew that would be more secure with me. As time goes by, I hope their bond with me will continue to grow and be closer than I can imagine. []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/]<P>------------------<BR>Rosie<BR>"Custodian of a few of God's special creatures"

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5012
07/05/00 01:20 AM
07/05/00 01:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

All i can say is wow.. In the little time i've been here i have learned so much about gliders, but most of all i have learned that you Bourbon are one of the nicest, most caring people that i have ever met. Nicest even []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] I can't wait to hear more of your story!

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5013
07/05/00 05:06 PM
07/05/00 05:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bourbon, Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to hear more. Thank you for all your posts and information. I have learned alot from you. I think you are an amazing person and I am glad that you chose to post on our board. Thanks!<P>Carolyn <BR>Rocki []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<BR>Adrian :0

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5014
07/25/00 08:47 PM
07/25/00 08:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just wondering, hehe, but when do we get the rest of the story? []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/] []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/]<P>~ []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/heart.gif[/]Chancy<P>------------------<BR> []http://members.aol.com/chancyglider/myhomepage/chancyglider.jpg[/] <BR><I>Luv,</I><BR><B>Chancy</B>, Crimsie, Clover, Cherie, Mikey, and soon a lil glider! <P><I>"Glider love is the hardest to gain, but the best to obtain!"</I><P><I>"Go for the good of the glider!"</I> - Cynthia Whiteshell<P> []ChancyGlider@aol.com[/]

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5015
07/26/00 04:00 AM
07/26/00 04:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah come on Mrs B!<P>Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! Bourbon! <BR>Ok ok ok... I'll slow down befor she beats me! =)<P>you know I love ya hun!<P>------------------<BR>"Glideritis is wonderful and awful at the same time isn't it?" ~ Our Beloved Cynthia Whiteshell<P><B>Jaccobb<BR>Kyle, Donna<BR>Pharaoh, Amen Ra<BR>Anubis, Anuksa Moon<BR>and the babies,<BR>Ba and Ka</B><P>Decaf coffie is for people who just don't get it...

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5016
08/10/00 03:34 AM
08/10/00 03:34 AM
B
Bourbon Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
B

Okay, Okay, Okay, Okay Okay...<BR>Part 2 is done... and <BR>Ellen says... Bringing to the top this one needs to be read first

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5017
08/13/00 11:43 AM
08/13/00 11:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bourbon, I have read lots of posts from you and this one really makes me glad that there is so much information available now. You and the message boards are wonderful resources. Thank you for all of your help.

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5018
09/25/00 12:50 AM
09/25/00 12:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Bring'n this up for the Newbies<P><BR>Jaccobb<P><BR>Again... on my hard drive

Re: Baybe's Beginings..part 1 (Long Post) [Re: ] #5019
03/04/01 03:18 PM
03/04/01 03:18 PM
B
Bourbon Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
Bourbon  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
B

bringing to the top as requested

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024