Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! #1270303
06/30/12 02:44 PM
06/30/12 02:44 PM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline OP
Glider Guardian
myliljadagirl  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
Hey everyone...I know most of us are experiencing some high temperatures...but Shan and I are also without electricity. There was a severe storm yesterday, and MD, VA, WV areas were hit with a bad thunderstorm with up to 70 mph winds last night. Our area has over 350,000 homes and businesses w/o power...DC is in the million range!
The point of this post...is we are looking at 97°f heat today...so some things that Shan and I are doing to keep our fuzzie kids cool! We www told there is a chance it could be days before we have power restored! Please ad to this list...so others in our situation will have the know how as well...

Even though our Gliders are from an Amazon climate, they are not accustom to temperatures above what we set our homes...so Shan and I did some strategic ”anti heat plan” for the Gliders. :lol:
-everyone was removed from their ”normal” fleece pouches, and were placed in either open environment pouches...or thinner pouches.
-we added Pedialyte (about 2 Tbsp. per bottle) to every ones water bottles.
-we also purchesed multiple hand held fans (battery run)...and hung them above the cages, in the direction of pouches. (Connie is going to post pic. For us.)
-when the temperature tops out...we are going to ad bags of ice to the tops of the cages, under the fans for even cooler air.

This is our plan...for now...if it gets to severe, we also have the option of going to a hotel...or a friends house. (but for the time...we are fine, and can sit in the house w/o sweating)

PLEASE, EVERYONE CHECK ON YOUR BABIES...KEEP THEM COOL MAKE SURE YOU ARE PREPARED!
Also, don't forget your other animals, dog and cats can get heat stroke. Be sure to offer fresh water. If you suspect you dog or cat may be over heating, take them to the vet...but something you can do to get them cooled down is pour rubbing alcohol on their pads. This will cool down their core body temperature, before you get them to a vet.
(NOTE...I am not a vet, so this is not a treatment...it is something we know will work from both of us working as vet techs. No matter what...take them to the vet!)

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-
Peppermint :leu: & Porsche
Jada, & Orchid :grey:
Benz, :rtmo: Gomer
Preston & Lina :wfb:
:rbridge: Sydney, & Ozzie!
www.Facebook.com/naturalglider
www.Naturalglider.weebly.com

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270308
06/30/12 03:25 PM
06/30/12 03:25 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Here are the pictures:

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270309
06/30/12 03:35 PM
06/30/12 03:35 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
Wow I hope you get power back soon. Good luck staying cool. I'll keep you and all your babies in my prayers!!!

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270311
06/30/12 04:25 PM
06/30/12 04:25 PM
NH
louissa Offline
Glider Lover
louissa  Offline
Glider Lover

NH
That must be tough for you and the gliders!

Hope you get your power back soon, great ideas for keeping your suggies cooler!

If life hands you sugar, then fill the world with sweet lollipops.
Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270312
06/30/12 04:26 PM
06/30/12 04:26 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Make sure you close the curtains and block any sun coming in through the windows too with blankets if your curtains are thin.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270315
06/30/12 04:52 PM
06/30/12 04:52 PM
VA
animalloversfb Offline
Glider Explorer
animalloversfb  Offline
Glider Explorer

VA
We're in the same boat! Gliders have been moved to travel cages downstairs for the night(I'm sure they will NOT be happy when they wake up but they can deal) with a thin blanket to cuddle up in and a bowl full of water(will be checking on that often). I have them in the laundry room to keep them away from the other pets and its not too hot downstairs. Its over 100 degrees outside or as my friend put it "The heat index is somewhere between OMG and [censored]" lol

We have all window coverings closed - if it cools off enough, hopefully I can put them back in their cages at least to eat.

I had to split up my newly merged colony as they were squabbling because they were getting too hot(before moving them downstairs). I'm hoping to pick up some nice cool watermelon/cantaloupe dinner as I'm sure their ice cubes have started to melt(although we have the freezer loaded with huge ice bags so maybe not).

Note to self: get bigger travel cages in case there is a next time...

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: JillMarie] #1270316
06/30/12 05:01 PM
06/30/12 05:01 PM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
Yeah...it stinks...we apparently had a tornado touch down...at the Walmart, and it took out the movie theater.
We are monitoring all of our babies...and everyone is sound asleep...so I think we are doing good! Lol the temp in the glider room says 83°f. We are not going into ”extreme” mode till it gets closer to 90°. (ice bags on cages...and if it gets to bad taking everyone to a hotel/friends/fam. We got options lol) But honestly...the gliders are looking at us like we are nut cases...and are just interrupting their sleep! Lol
The house is not to hot...so we are not sweaty. Thank goodness!
Jill, thanks for that....I forgot to say that. We have the windows open...but the blinds are shut...so the temp is not getting bad.
Since it is 5pm. Here...we think we have made it through the worst of the heat...and is just going to continue to cool down as it gets dark.
We have plenty of diet...plenty of fruit and veggies...5 bags of ice...food for the dogs...food for us, and running water. We also have a pool...so that helps! So were crossing our fingers that we will have power soon!
The most important thing to us...is that others realize how important it is to check on their babies...and be sure they stay cool!

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270324
06/30/12 05:34 PM
06/30/12 05:34 PM
VA
animalloversfb Offline
Glider Explorer
animalloversfb  Offline
Glider Explorer

VA
Yeah my glider room is upstairs and just was way too hot(started getting over 90 degrees and several were really restless) so downstairs they went! Better to be cramped but cool than overheat! Downstairs is probably 70-75(depending on where) - the laundry room and bathrooms are coolest so that is where they are for now. I might try the ice on top of the cages tonight as I know they're going to be awful in the travel cages if they have to stay all night...I already had to separate two from the colony and really no travel cage is big enough for 9 anyways...

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: animalloversfb] #1270327
06/30/12 05:56 PM
06/30/12 05:56 PM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
We have power! Were not having a party yet...in case they are still working on things and we lose it again...but the important thing is currently...we have power! The celling fans are blaring in every room including the glider room...and we arr just happy to have the cool air! Crossing our fingers we don't lose it...but we are still in survival mode at the time. If in about an hour we still have it...the AC will be turned on! But our area is still expecting more ”storms” tonight, into tomorrow...so who knows if we will keep it...but the important thing...is that cool air from the fans! :lol: its amazing what you take for granted!

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270337
06/30/12 06:30 PM
06/30/12 06:30 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Oh do not even GO THERE about what you take for granted...how about starting with an ELECTRIC can opener? And an ELECTRIC coffee pot? I had to dig through the "not so often used" kitchen utensils drawer to find the manual version can opener. The plan for Sunday morning coffee is my camping coffee pot on a propane burner.

Cool air is furnished by opening the east & west windows...capturing whatever breeze Mother Nature may grace us with so there's a cross-wind through the house.

Or I can just cheat and hang out here at the office where there's electricity and a/c and ONE glider to keep me company. :rofl2:

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: minkasmom] #1270352
06/30/12 07:20 PM
06/30/12 07:20 PM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline OP
Glider Guardian
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
I totaly know what you are saying! I made Shan run all over the place this morning so I could have coffee! I got up, and was in a bad mood, it was hot...and I hate sleeping in the heat...walked into the kitchen went to the Kuerig....and realized no coffee...because no power! Lets just say almost every bad word there is...came out of my mouth. So we left in search for coffee...no gas station had power...but Cracker Barrel did...so we go in...figuring we would have some coffee...and breakfast, and suppress the misery of no power...and the heat! Ohhhhhh, no...they had an hour long wait! My genius wife said to the lady...”can we please just have some coffee to go?” So after almost two hours, on the hunt for my love...my life line...the stuff I bleed (can ya tell I love coffee) I FINALLY got a cup of coffee! It was not the best...but at the time...it was the most Devine tasting coffee...and I cherished it to the last drop!

After the coffee...we then had to come back to reality...and went into survival mode, for us...and our fuzzies!
But gosh that coffee was sooooo good! Lol

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270366
06/30/12 08:16 PM
06/30/12 08:16 PM
VA
animalloversfb Offline
Glider Explorer
animalloversfb  Offline
Glider Explorer

VA
SUPPOSEDLY we should have power by 2 pm tomorrow IF the storms tonight do not cause more damage. There is a HUGE tree down on the lines on the main road that I suspect is why we do not have power - they should be headed out soon to address it as downed lines SUPPOSED take priority lol

Gliders are in cages/carriers stacked in the bathroom and I put a huge bag of ice on top of them(put several layers of fabric between the cage and the bag just to be sure they don't rip it open and get a shower lol) It was noticeably cooler in there after just 10 minutes with the ice so that should hold them over until tomorrow and we'll have to go from there!

Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270367
06/30/12 08:17 PM
06/30/12 08:17 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I have a battery charger I got in the auto dept at Walmart. Not only will it charge a dead battery in the car but it has a light on it and a plug in for electric power.

I also have a generator with two plug ins. It's enough for an electric heater or small air conditioner.

When you empty a jug, fill it with water and freeze it. Put one in or on top of each cage.

My heart goes out to the injured and dead from these horrible storms. Sending prayers to all.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Extreme heat, with no electricity! Things to do! [Re: myliljadagirl] #1270522
07/01/12 12:15 PM
07/01/12 12:15 PM
VA
animalloversfb Offline
Glider Explorer
animalloversfb  Offline
Glider Explorer

VA
Well still no power and the bag of ice melted and fell off the cages so the floor was a bit wet and poor Cora's cage had a good amount of water at the bottom(she was smart and stayed up and wasn't wet at all except the tip of her tail). Dried that all out and got her a new pouch to cuddle in, refilled water dishes, handed out treats and everyone seemed to be OK. The bathroom stayed cool.

Power might come back on around 2 - but another storm is hitting us now so we'll see as the crews probably will have to stop working :/ The jug of water or bottles sounds better - I just don't have a way to freeze anything at this point(only a fridge in the hotel) - praying the power comes back on and they can just go back in their cages tonight...

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024