Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
You can take your gliders anywhere #1402589
06/23/16 10:01 AM
06/23/16 10:01 AM
Maryland USA
N
Nstromo Offline OP
Out of Pouch
Nstromo  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
N

Maryland USA
I was given the impression both by Pocket Pets & by other sources that once bonded, they'll stay on you all day & at night jump off & play, but stay near you. I imagined literally that. Delta just hanging out in my shirt or bra or a hoodie pocket, emerging occasionally for pees & poops, & lured out by a treat to meet people who want to see him. Not ever worrying that he will jump off me in a public place making a scene. Here, though, I don't see a lot of posts suggesting that it gets quite to that point. Is this a fantasy that I shouldn't expect lest I find terrible disappointment? Or is it entirely possible depending on Delta's personality? Does it put him in any danger to expect him to stay on me when I go out without a secure enclosure like a bonding pouch (after he's bonded)?

Stuffed animal/security blanket complex:
Fact or fiction?

Last edited by Nstromo; 06/23/16 10:04 AM.
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402591
06/23/16 11:01 AM
06/23/16 11:01 AM
Dallas, TX
R
Rebecca Offline
Joey Member
Rebecca  Offline
Joey Member
R

Dallas, TX
I took my boy Lenox (I've had him since he was a joey) outside in the yard a few days ago and he jumped off me and ran towards my neighbour's fenced backyard. I caught him before he ran under the fence. PHEW!

But lessoned learned, these furry creatures have a mind of their own and will act on instinct. I would say if you are going to take them out, put them in a secure bonding pouch, not the velcro kind.

:grey: Mochi :grey: Nico :grey: Athena :grey: Aries :grey: Lenox (OOP 9.26.2015)
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402593
06/23/16 12:08 PM
06/23/16 12:08 PM
Miami, FL
ichabodandRoux Offline
Joey Member
ichabodandRoux  Offline
Joey Member

Miami, FL
There are some people who take their gliders everywhere. I personally use an infinity scarf that I made that has a hidden fleece zippered pocket. It still is a bit conspicuous, they are a bit lumpy :), but they seem to like being close to me regardless.

Once your gliders are bonded they will want to stay on you, but you can never be too careful. Using a zippered bonding pouch, especially when outside, and in a large crowded place is a must. However, when indoors, in a safe quiet place, having them "chilling in your pocket" is fine. Know your limits and boundaries to keep them safe and happy.

Think of dogs, for example, I know many people who walk their dogs without a leash. I know my lab would probably be fine doing the same, but what if he sees something that catches his attention and darts into the street?? It's a risk most responsible pet owners won't take.

*Cristy

Gaffer Sirius (Black Lab <3)
Wile E. (Berger Picard)
Gliders: Dobby and Marty McFly <3
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402595
06/23/16 12:39 PM
06/23/16 12:39 PM
Maryland USA
N
Nstromo Offline OP
Out of Pouch
Nstromo  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
N

Maryland USA
Thanks! This is pretty common sense stuff & pretty much what I expected but this is my first glider & all the research prior to & since my first step into glider parenthood has time & again turned up the repeated emphasis on how different from any other pet the bond of a glider is. I'm so excited to learn what that truly means & feel he is safer that I've learned now what it *doesn't* mean. I really appreciate the clarification!

Glide safe!

Last edited by Nstromo; 06/23/16 12:40 PM.
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402602
06/23/16 06:49 PM
06/23/16 06:49 PM
indiana
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Glider Explorer
BYK_Chainsaw  Offline
Glider Explorer

indiana
with our first two gliders we wont trust one of them. but gizmo is very bonded with my wife. He will go into the bra and stay there all day sometimes. Usually he will just grab hold of her bra and go to sleep. Sometimes he will wake up and rome around her shirt or poke his head out to see what is going on. But he has never "Jumped" off her. It's very rare he will come out of her shirt at all. he may poke his head out her shirt arm sleeve, or front part, but just peek out not come all the way out.
out of our second two, sophie is also very good to take around in your shirt. the kids put her in their shirt and run around the house all day with her just sleeping away, but they are careful she is in their shirts. We can take her outside with out the bonding pouch, but she has a few times slightly freaked out and started exploring outside our shirts and acted like she might jump off us. BUT the saving grace is she doesn't mind being handled, so if she does get adventurous we can easily grab her and put her in a zipped up bonding pouch we ALWAYS take with us just in case.

So you can bond your glider so you can take them without being in a pouch.
Out of 6 gliders we have had for awhile only 2 would we take outside without being in a pouch. AND by OUTSIDE I really mean, IN our car, IN the church, IN the store 95% of the time.
I have seen some youtube videos that show gliders very bonded and running back to owner if put down away from them.

but I do want to say again, its outside with ONLY 2 of our gliders and not until much time with then INSIDE the house in shirts and bras, so we have some real trust they will not just run away. taking them outside is very risky.

Last edited by BYK_Chainsaw; 06/23/16 06:55 PM.

John and Charlene
Gizmo :grey: / link :bb: / Sophie :wfb: / Riggs :grey: / scarface :grey: / gus :wfb:
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402621
06/24/16 07:01 PM
06/24/16 07:01 PM
South Florida
HoneyChild Offline
Out of Pouch
HoneyChild  Offline
Out of Pouch

South Florida
I remember being so trusting the first week I got my glider. I would bring her out in her pouch, would sit in a shaded part of the garden. Sometimes I would let her perch on my shoulders as I watered the plants. I can't say she ever tried to get away. She's very well behaved but I realized she's still a wild animal that I'm attempting to domesticate. Then I started thinking about the possibility of a bird just swooping in and carrying her away. Long story shorter, I will only bring her out in her bigger, heavier travel bag now. Try and carry that crows!! Lol

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402633
06/24/16 10:13 PM
06/24/16 10:13 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
My late glider, Tucker, was a glider I could take everywhere. He like to be cleavage constable. He would saunter up to the tee shirt collar, use a hand to open it up, look around and dive in.

I used him a lot when we did educational venues as he would let the kids hold him, but he always wanted to come back to me.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402712
06/29/16 05:22 AM
06/29/16 05:22 AM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
Feather/Kimberly: How is your new ambassador coming along?

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402713
06/29/16 05:50 AM
06/29/16 05:50 AM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
I think you have to look back at the progression of what having a pet sugar glider is like and some still believe that a glider is born with being cuddly/calm or not. They say just keep them in a secure pouch or do "tent time" or have them loose in a glider safe room. This is fine if this is what you want.

Some of us(me) want more than that and do things differently. I believe you can train or have the bond that you want. The way I bred my babies was what I saw with Suggie's first baby and how upset she was with baby crying that she took it away from my other half and brought it to me and stared me down, but with loving trusting eyes. So I held moms and babies after that.

I also tried to do more with some of my babies(outside or in public) because I enjoyed it and some were ambassadors or show gliders even mom, dad, and joeys.

Day time in a sleeping area they should stay asleep and with you. Showing them to people in day time also after bonded.

You need to practice indoors alot, handling alot, picking up so to make sure they have no fear of your hand movement around them.

I think part of the community and outside of it are heading in that direction more now than years ago. But every group, forum has their beliefs and rules about what is acceptable.

Just have fun and enjoy your babies.

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402717
06/29/16 02:43 PM
06/29/16 02:43 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
1daddyglider1,

I have three that I carry, they do come close to what Tucker was.

I am hoping for a joey from either Tucker's granddaughter or Tucker's son to take his place. Just waiting for them to get busy.

I think Tucker's granddaughter has her hubby, Mr. Spock buffaloed. She is older than him and I believe she rules the roost and the rooster.

I just gave Tucker's son a new wife.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: 1daddyglider1] #1402718
06/29/16 04:16 PM
06/29/16 04:16 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Originally Posted By: 1daddyglider1
I think you have to look back at the progression of what having a pet sugar glider is like and some still believe that a glider is born with being cuddly/calm or not. They say just keep them in a secure pouch or do "tent time" or have them loose in a glider safe room. This is fine if this is what you want.

Some of us(me) want more than that and do things differently. I believe you can train or have the bond that you want. The way I bred my babies was what I saw with Suggie's first baby and how upset she was with baby crying that she took it away from my other half and brought it to me and stared me down, but with loving trusting eyes. So I held moms and babies after that.

I also tried to do more with some of my babies(outside or in public) because I enjoyed it and some were ambassadors or show gliders even mom, dad, and joeys.

Day time in a sleeping area they should stay asleep and with you. Showing them to people in day time also after bonded.

You need to practice indoors alot, handling alot, picking up so to make sure they have no fear of your hand movement around them.

I think part of the community and outside of it are heading in that direction more now than years ago. But every group, forum has their beliefs and rules about what is acceptable.

Just have fun and enjoy your babies.

I get what you are saying, and do not totally disagree, but some of us have gotten gliders that are not joeys. A lot of us take in re-homes or even rescues. I personally have taken in three re-homes. My first pair, were approximately a year old when I homed them, I was their second home. My first experience with gliders is a long story, but for short story version, they were not that used to human handling. Now my third glider was also a re-home, he was approximately 4 yrs old. He had at least two homes prior to mine, possibly three. The last home he had I know was a good one, but cannot be sure what the others prior were. Considering all those factors and the recent two years of my living circumstances changing dramatically (meaning two moves across country, other personal crisis and situations) my gliders have actually adjusted very well and we have grown in our relationship with each other, but I believe they have limits as to the level that they will bond with me. That being said, as much as I have said and have read that trust building is what bonding is, that doesn't explain bonding thoroughly. My gliders trust me, the girls more so than my boy, but I had them from a younger age, they had less traumatic experiences most likely, they have been with me longer, and they were settled with me much more than my boy was before all the changes occurred in my life. I do not believe that he will ever trust me to the same level my girls do. And, as much as they trust me, I feel it's likely that they will ever trust me as much as they may have if I had gotten them as joeys. I do believe it's possible though, that all three of them can learn to trust me even more than they do now.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402720
06/29/16 10:41 PM
06/29/16 10:41 PM
Louisiana
C
Cathayvet Offline
Joey Member
Cathayvet  Offline
Joey Member
C

Louisiana
Wow. That is amazing. Maybe I will be able to do that with the baby I am raising but none of my adults I would even think about stepping outside. I have hung fleece on parts of the walls , have a cat tree, and some furniture for them to climb on. Basically turning one half of the room a free zone.

Last edited by Cathayvet; 06/29/16 10:42 PM.
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402727
06/30/16 06:43 PM
06/30/16 06:43 PM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
I think there are alot of terms that are kinda meaning close to the same thing but that can be a specialized term. When writing I got tired and thought "bond" or "bonded" was being used to much. Also training so some terms later on got added to articles. But you can say that they mean different things as you move along. Take bonded versus socialized. Which one is higher in your relationship. Relationship is also mis leading as I have one with out side wild squirrels and maybe even some trust as I hand feed one. But we are no where near bonded.

I think Terry you answered your own question or concern as there isn't consistent training(def)--meaning doing something over and over to get a desired result--.
Also trust of glider to human also trust has to go human to glider. By doing inside day time walking, stopping, blocking, picking up to put on shoulder, holding, handling, petting, and etc. Are ways of working with them before even thinking of going outside.

Fake fast walking or in tight circle to make glider hang on for dear life is not a technique that I would use or trust a sugar glider to stay with me.

Art

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1402728
06/30/16 06:44 PM
06/30/16 06:44 PM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
Hope it works out for you Kimberly. I miss Peanut and Charlie line and only have one left(Duke).
Art

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1403210
07/26/16 04:11 PM
07/26/16 04:11 PM
United States
Temulin Offline
Glider Lover
Temulin  Offline
Glider Lover

United States
I think, as with all animals, it's part training, part personality (nature and nurture? :p). Fevy comes everywhere with me, but it took a long time and lots of patience to teach him good adventure glider manners. Some gliders do not enjoy being out during the day at all and I definitely think for safety reasons you should be incredibly cautious when taking gliders out into the world. Fev is currently sitting on my desk, being a paperweight, but even with a lazy glider like him I'm very careful. You never know if something interesting catches their attention. I don't think there's a right/wrong answer - it just depends on the pet. Some dogs are good at dog parks, others aren't. Training helps, but there's no guarantee. I'm good with most animals, have taken training classes to get certified with shelter dogs, and I always give my pets lots of attention, but honestly I've fostered some animals that just did not enjoy my company at all. XD And that is okay. I figure if they are not social butterflies, I can just love them on their terms.

"If we sliced today's tomatoes yesterday, they'd be yesterday's tomatoes."

:grey: Lord Feverstone
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: ichabodandRoux] #1403256
07/31/16 02:06 AM
07/31/16 02:06 AM
TX
T
TKJ Offline
TKJ  Offline
T

TX
Mind sharing the genious behind making that infinity scarf pouch thing? I dont have a sewing machine but I know people who do, or can I sew it by hand? I dont care what it looks like. Thanks!

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: TKJ] #1405286
11/15/16 01:03 AM
11/15/16 01:03 AM
Southeast Missouri
D
Dalton63841 Offline
Out of Pouch
Dalton63841  Offline
Out of Pouch
D

Southeast Missouri
This February will be 2 years I have had my girls. It took nearly ALL of their first year of life, but I can take them almost anywhere. They will jump to other people to check them out, but will quickly jump back.

The one scare I had was standing near a tree with a low hanging limb. Sabrina, the more adventurous of the two, jumped straight onto the limb and ran. Scared me to DEATH. She ran about 4 feet up the limb and when I yelled, "Sabrina NO!", she turned around and dive bombed onto my face! LOL

All that to say that 95% of the time now, I keep them in a secure pouch.

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1405296
11/15/16 04:01 PM
11/15/16 04:01 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
We don't recommend taking them out not in a pouch just for that reason. They can move very fast when they want to.

Kimberley

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Dalton63841] #1405308
11/16/16 12:39 AM
11/16/16 12:39 AM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas
Originally Posted By: Dalton63841
This February will be 2 years I have had my girls. It took nearly ALL of their first year of life, but I can take them almost anywhere. They will jump to other people to check them out, but will quickly jump back.

The one scare I had was standing near a tree with a low hanging limb. Sabrina, the more adventurous of the two, jumped straight onto the limb and ran. Scared me to DEATH. She ran about 4 feet up the limb and when I yelled, "Sabrina NO!", she turned around and dive bombed onto my face! LOL

All that to say that 95% of the time now, I keep them in a secure pouch.

Your above example really illustrates why we recommend only bringing them outside in a securely zippered bonding pouch.

Consider this like a leash law. I've seen too many well behaved dogs randomly bolt on their owners, and those are domesticated dogs of relatively trainable breeds. Sugar gliders are not domesticated animals and certainly should not be trusted to recall or stay on a person. This advice is for the safety of the glider and our hobby in general.

It only takes one mistake to cause an injury or lose a glider forever. For anyone who might stumble into this thread later and wonder about "taking your gliders anywhere", please don't consider it unless they are secure.

And please remember that many public places have rules against pets, often because of food safety or other peoples' comfort. Remember that gliders are illegal in some parts of the US and negative experiences between your gliders and other humans - as well as glider escapes - can lead to further restrictive legislation.

If you think that sounds like an overreaction, keep in mind that is exactly what is currently happening to the US reptile keeping hobby!

Pixel, Aurora & Gaia :leu: Link :rtmo:
Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1405546
12/01/16 04:38 PM
12/01/16 04:38 PM
WA
suggietakeover Offline
In Pouch
suggietakeover  Offline
In Pouch

WA
My class wants to see my gliders after they're bonded....is that safe? If im in a classroom. Theres tons of fish tanks and one lizard and octopus. But its an animal sciences class, and everyones interested. I just dont know about it......

Nutmeg & Vanilla~ my two loves
Along with my 50 other pets smile
{Horses,Goats,Cats,Dogs,Chickens,Ducks,&Beardie}
:grey: :leu:

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: suggietakeover] #1405547
12/01/16 04:39 PM
12/01/16 04:39 PM
WA
suggietakeover Offline
In Pouch
suggietakeover  Offline
In Pouch

WA
There were so many great responses on here, Ive seen so many videos of gliders out in public not in pouches. That honestly scares me, but the point they have that sort of relationship with their gliders is amazing

Nutmeg & Vanilla~ my two loves
Along with my 50 other pets smile
{Horses,Goats,Cats,Dogs,Chickens,Ducks,&Beardie}
:grey: :leu:

Re: You can take your gliders anywhere [Re: Nstromo] #1405557
12/02/16 03:14 PM
12/02/16 03:14 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I only let my most bonded glider out of the pouch outside. There is just too much that can go wrong.

I have seen a hawk swoop down and steal someones parrot off their shoulder so that is my biggest fear.

If you cover the tanks and make sure he or she can't get under the door and out into the hall, I think that they would have a blast for one day.

I would invest in a bird or butterfly net, just in case things get a bit wild.

Kimberley

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024