Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New adopted gliders aren't eating #1406537
01/16/17 02:16 PM
01/16/17 02:16 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
Hi
I just adopted 2 sisters that are 1 year old. I have their cage and all of their cage sets, bonding pouches and toys but the lady I got them from washed everything. She also gave me all her frozen bml diet that she had made. The first night, they ate a little cube of frozen yogurt (after reviewing the bml diet, I saw there is no side of yogurt) . The second night, I left out the yogurt and gave them a tbsp of an approved veg each and same with fruit. They ate the those but the bml was untouched. Should I be worried? They've been in their bonding pouch a lot with me and today they both stopped crabbing when they saw it was me transferring them into the pouch from the cage. They both let me pet their heads with my finger too.
What should I do tonight? Should I just give them the bml cubes to remove choice ? If they don't eat tonight should I prepare the petglider diet instead? Their other home alternated every few weeks. I also looked into the hpw, I can order the ingredients from Torontosugarglider.com but it would take a few days to get here. I live in Ontario and getting the critter love diet is a no go. Shipping and exchange rate is too high.

Joanne
Nyx :grey: and her sister Nova :grey: Mew :plat:
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406538
01/16/17 02:27 PM
01/16/17 02:27 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
It sounds like this will be the third night you have had them, correct?

They have so much to get used to being in a new home, and it certainly would have been helpful if their previous owner had not washed everything, wouldn't it agree They would at least have had all their old smells to give them security, but now they have had to get used to everything being new. I'm wondering if she did that because everything was so dirty dunno

So, you must deal with what is now.

Try the BML one more night with extra fruits/veggies to see if they are eating and possibly are just not wanting the BML. IF you find that is true, then it is time, IMO, to give them a different staple with their fruits/veggies.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: KarenE] #1406539
01/16/17 02:41 PM
01/16/17 02:41 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
Yes, tonight is the third night. I emailed her and she said she gave me a new batch that she prepared. I transferred it to an airtight snaplock container in the freezer. I had the girls in the bonding pouch this morning from about 9 to now and one went in the kitchen and and started to eat a bit. I hadn't yet taken it out of the cage.
Yesterday, after the first night, I removed it first thing in the am. I figured it shouldn't sit more than over night since it has a dairy in it.
I'm still contemplating, after awhile, switching to the hpw or petglider diet because I'm not really comfortable with the reptile vitamins. I also noticed on her diet that she gave me said to give them any fruit and veg (except for the garlic, onions etc) but now I'm worried they've been getting the wrong calcium and ph ratios since the bml is strict on the vegie/fruit options. I've asked her if she gives them yogurt on the side because she didn't mix it into the recipe but she didn't answer that question. Nova's coat has that cracked look but is soft and full still. Both tails are thin, not bushy.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406540
01/16/17 02:45 PM
01/16/17 02:45 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
To feed the BML as intended, the strict list of fruits/veggies should be followed. Yogurt is not a side item unless given as a treat very seldom just like any other treat. The yogurt in the BML mix is to be blended in with the other ingredients.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: KarenE] #1406541
01/16/17 03:33 PM
01/16/17 03:33 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
Originally Posted By: KarenE
To feed the BML as intended, the strict list of fruits/veggies should be followed. Yogurt is not a side item unless given as a treat very seldom just like any other treat. The yogurt in the BML mix is to be blended in with the other ingredients.

That was my understanding too. The previous owner said she did this to ensure they were getting hydrated because they didn't seem to drink a lot. I will be following the diet until I think they won't eat it then I'll switch. I really don't think I like the idea of reptile vitamins when you can get sugar glider ones from reputable places. In Canada, I can order the ones the PP uses from Ontario but since the bml states not to switch those vitamins, I'd prefer to use a diet that uses the proper ones. I can also order the wombaroo protein supplement for the hpw diet here.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406542
01/16/17 03:40 PM
01/16/17 03:40 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: joanneM

That was my understanding too. The previous owner said she did this to ensure they were getting hydrated because they didn't seem to drink a lot. I will be following the diet until I think they won't eat it then I'll switch. I really don't think I like the idea of reptile vitamins when you can get sugar glider ones from reputable places. In Canada, I can order the ones the PP uses from Ontario but since the bml states not to switch those vitamins, I'd prefer to use a diet that uses the proper ones. I can also order the wombaroo protein supplement for the hpw diet here.

There is nothing wrong with the vitamins in the BML diet plan as this diet has been in the latest study. You can read more here.

The Priscilla Price diet uses the sprinkle method for vitamins which the majority of the community do not recommend because you have no way of knowing just how much, if any, of these supplements your gliders are getting. With all other feeding plans, the supplements are mixed in so they have no choice IF they are eating the staple.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: KarenE] #1406543
01/16/17 04:08 PM
01/16/17 04:08 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
Thank you for that! I also wondered about the sprinkling of the vitamins.
Well, the previous owner made a big bTch of food for me so I'll follow the bml diet strictly. I can't get the premixed critterlive diet here but the Toronto sugar gliders sell the Exoticzoo protein powder for the hpw diet which, to my understanding is the same as critterlove. Their owner said after awhile they won't eat the bml and that's when she switches to the pp diet.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406546
01/16/17 04:42 PM
01/16/17 04:42 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
I can't get the premixed critterlive diet here

And why is that? I ship to Canada all the time.
And NO Exotic Nutrition is nothing like the Critter Love® products. It is a knock off and many people say their gliders do not do well on it.
The only thing the two have in common is they are both add water powders.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: Srlb] #1406551
01/16/17 05:22 PM
01/16/17 05:22 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
Originally Posted By: Srlb
Quote:
I can't get the premixed critterlive diet here

And why is that? I ship to Canada all the time.
And NO Exotxic Nutrition is nothing like the Critter Love® products. It is a knock off and many people say their gliders do not do well on it.
The only thing the two have in common is they are both add water powders.

The exchange rate and shipping are crazy. I ordered something fir my kids that was $124 USD and it was $176 CAD plus shipping. I'd prefer diets I can acquire here.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406552
01/16/17 05:33 PM
01/16/17 05:33 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
How close are you to the boarder?

We have a member who posted she orders with ship to on our side, walks across and walks back through customs and has never had a problem. Is that a possibility for you?

Here is her post.

Last edited by KarenE; 01/16/17 05:35 PM.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: KarenE] #1406553
01/16/17 05:46 PM
01/16/17 05:46 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
No, I'm about 3 hours away and I don't have a passport.

If my new girls won't eat the bml, I'll have to suck up the extra cost of ordering from you. I saw you on Awake All Night with Adama and Patrick . Once I decided to get a pair, I watched about the first 6 episodes . I looked on your site and see different sizes and types. If I ordered the smallest size of the complete, to make sure they like it, how long would that last for 2?

Then I saw that shipping is 3x the cost of a small pouch. Is the shipping the same if I ordered a larger amount?

Last edited by joanneM; 01/16/17 07:48 PM.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406560
01/16/17 10:11 PM
01/16/17 10:11 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Peggy, the creator of Critterlove is away from her computer tonight, but will respond tomorrow.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406575
01/17/17 09:03 AM
01/17/17 09:03 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
The exchange rate and shipping are crazy. I ordered something fir my kids that was $124 USD and it was $176 CAD plus shipping. I'd prefer diets I can acquire here.

Did you order from Critter Love®?
We do not have control over the cost of shipping internationally. Unfortunately it is high, however, if you contact me through email at critterlove@critterlove.com you can usually get a better shipping deal as I can look at a couple different shipping options.

Example, a 2lb bag of Complete would only cost $47 dollars to ship.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406603
01/18/17 08:17 AM
01/18/17 08:17 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
diets are an emotional subject out here.

I may as well put some fuel on the fire.

My guys get the Priscilla Price solids mix, but I mix a bunch of Critterlove in there with it. Also I sprinkle, AND provide a little bowl of CL nectar for them to drink.

There is no escaping the Critterlove!

A two lb bag would last you a long time, on two gliders.

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406604
01/18/17 09:15 AM
01/18/17 09:15 AM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
It's really too bad that Critterlove has no Canadian distributors. I'm not paying $75 CAD for shipping. I'm sticking with BML and TPG as an alternate since I can get their vitamins from a Canadian store.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406606
01/18/17 10:42 AM
01/18/17 10:42 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Unfortunately, we have no control over how much shipping is. And costs are just continuously rising.

I agree, it is a shame there are no Canadian Distributors.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406608
01/18/17 11:33 AM
01/18/17 11:33 AM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
I understand that and obvioysly the exchange rate as well. Sugar gliders are not as popular here as in the US. Good breeders sell joeys for very close $1000 and up for one! I adopted mine with a great condition double critter nation cage and a lot of toys and bedding, as well as a fresh batch of bml for $800 CAD. There are very few gliders looking for a home here and none in shelters. They're legal in most places in Ontario as well. I know one other person who has owned them.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406617
01/18/17 08:16 PM
01/18/17 08:16 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Wow! I don't think that's too bad. With all that stuff?

I bet I spent $1200 in the first 3 months. Gliders, cage sets, dishes, BML food start up, toys!, cages,( yes cages-two to be exact plus I got a cage with Fiona.), vet visits, snacks, and fleece. Plus a bunch of stuff I didn't need.

If gliders are hard to find there, you did good!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: Ladymagyver] #1406620
01/18/17 08:48 PM
01/18/17 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I think so too! The cage is in great condition and the girls seem healthy too. I went to the lady's house and she is a real animal lover. She was still hestitant to let them go but hadn't really fully understood how much time it takes to bond with them and give them the attention they need. I think because she got them from the original owner (not the breeder), who sold her everything for $1200, then she felt she had to further lower her asking price. Whatever her reason, I feel I got a good deal and some very cute gliders! I did go through some of the pouches and some had small holes so I threw those out. Most are still very good though.

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: Srlb] #1406621
01/18/17 09:21 PM
01/18/17 09:21 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
Hi Peggy

Because I have no idea if my gliders will like this diet since theyve never had it? Is it possible to get the smallest size of the Critterlove Plus sent through regular mail? Then, if they like it, I could reorder in larger quantities.

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406637
01/19/17 10:49 AM
01/19/17 10:49 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Yes, you want the Plus to add in the eggs, honey, bee pollen, or do you want the Complete, to only add water?

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: TwoDog] #1406641
01/19/17 12:55 PM
01/19/17 12:55 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
diets are an emotional subject out here.

I may as well put some fuel on the fire.

My guys get the Priscilla Price solids mix, but I mix a bunch of Critterlove in there with it. Also I sprinkle, AND provide a little bowl of CL nectar for them to drink.

There is no escaping the Critterlove!

A two lb bag would last you a long time, on two gliders.

If you are offering Critter Love® staples, PLEASE feed it as directed with one of our Critter Love® salad mixtures. These were specifically figured, with measurements of each, to ensure your glider is getting the proper amount of vitamins/minerals/calcium needed for a long life.

Mixing it with another diet will indeed throw all the ratios off and health issues may happen, shortening the life span of your glider.

All the extras are really not needed.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: Srlb] #1406647
01/19/17 06:47 PM
01/19/17 06:47 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline OP
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline OP
In Pouch
J

Canada
Hi Peggy
I have looked over your salads and have some questions!
Some of the ingredients aren't really available in my area such as dragon fruit and cactus fruit. I also already know that these girls don't like green peppers. Is it essential to include everysinge item listed or can some be left out?

Im not sure if I can get Bok Choy so if I can't, can I substitue with a green such as watercress or parsley?

Joanne
Re: New adopted gliders aren't eating [Re: joanneM] #1406666
01/20/17 10:45 AM
01/20/17 10:45 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Joanne,

These salads were created by the Animal Nutritionist I have contracted to make certain it gives you a nutritionally sound and balanced diet when fed along with our powders. So yes, please follow it as closely as you can.

As for the gliders not liking green peppers, try red or yellow instead. Also please read this write up I did for Pickey Gliders.

As for the greens, Dark leafy greens - (such as kale, watercress, arugula, dandelion) provide higher levels of protein, fiber, vitamin A activity, vitamin C, and Ca compared to other greens (such as cabbages, seasonal greens, collards, turnip, mustard).. If want variety, maybe go with 1/2 dark greens and 1/2 alternative greens.

Peggy
Critter Love

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024