Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hi, I am new and need cage suggestions #1406077
12/29/16 12:02 AM
12/29/16 12:02 AM
US
V
VBclick Offline OP
In Pouch
VBclick  Offline OP
In Pouch
V

US
I am new, so new that I am in the research stage (I want to have all my ducks in a row before I buy any sugar gliders). After spending days sifting through all the contradictory information, I am still not sure what to buy for a cage. Does it have to be a special cage, or can it be a bird cage or other critter cage with narrow bars? What type of coating is ok for sure? I don't want a huge cage, but I want it to be big enough for 2 adult gliders. I don't want to spend a ton of money on the cage, I would rather put that money toward the animals themselves (I want some cute colorations other then standard grey). Also, what is a good size for a wheel, diameter-wise? TIA!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Hi, I am new and need cage suggestions [Re: VBclick] #1406078
12/29/16 07:42 AM
12/29/16 07:42 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
:welcomegc:

There are many cage options out there for sure.

Sugar gliders do require a lot of room to play since they like to jump. I bought the sturdy cage from Suncoast gliders about 2 1/2 years ago. It's powder coated and has really held up to the gliders and cleaning. I think exotic nutrition carries nice powder coated cages too. When you think of cages, remember that gliders can live up to 15 years. You will want something sturdy that will last a long time and easy to clean.

The width between the bars should be no wider than 1/2".

When it comes to wheels, the bigger / wider the better. It should be a glider safe wheel. My first wheel I got from attic works ( raptor version) . I also have a spin zone wheel for my cage in our RV.

As far as gliders themselves, special colors are nice but temperment is more important. From others experience on here human handling by the breeders when they are joeys is also important.

I would recommend getting at least 2 gliders so they will have a companion to play with. They are colony animals and enjoy the company of at least one of their own kind. Because they are a colony animal they will also bond to their humans. Since they are nocturnal, they need someone to play and cuddle with while their human is sleeping. They cope with stress better as a pair.

The bonding process with your gliders takes patience, time , consistency, trust and more patience and time.

Before you bring your new gliders home you will want to locate a vet in your area that treats gliders.

One other thing to think about is diet. Your breeder should give you info on what they feed and there is a database here on other options too.

Anything "in blue" on this thread can be clicked on and will take you to more info on that topic.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions and good luck and please keep us posted on your new babies. We like pics too!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Hi, I am new and need cage suggestions [Re: Ladymagyver] #1406089
12/29/16 12:58 PM
12/29/16 12:58 PM
US
V
VBclick Offline OP
In Pouch
VBclick  Offline OP
In Pouch
V

US
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
:welcomegc:

There are many cage options out there for sure.

Sugar gliders do require a lot of room to play since they like to jump. I bought the sturdy cage from Suncoast gliders about 2 1/2 years ago. It's powder coated and has really held up to the gliders and cleaning. I think exotic nutrition carries nice powder coated cages too. When you think of cages, remember that gliders can live up to 15 years. You will want something sturdy that will last a long time and easy to clean.

The width between the bars should be no wider than 1/2".

When it comes to wheels, the bigger / wider the better. It should be a glider safe wheel. My first wheel I got from attic works ( raptor version) . I also have a spin zone wheel for my cage in our RV.

As far as gliders themselves, special colors are nice but temperment is more important. From others experience on here human handling by the breeders when they are joeys is also important.

I would recommend getting at least 2 gliders so they will have a companion to play with. They are colony animals and enjoy the company of at least one of their own kind. Because they are a colony animal they will also bond to their humans. Since they are nocturnal, they need someone to play and cuddle with while their human is sleeping. They cope with stress better as a pair.

The bonding process with your gliders takes patience, time , consistency, trust and more patience and time.

Before you bring your new gliders home you will want to locate a vet in your area that treats gliders.

One other thing to think about is diet. Your breeder should give you info on what they feed and there is a database here on other options too.

Anything "in blue" on this thread can be clicked on and will take you to more info on that topic.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions and good luck and please keep us posted on your new babies. We like pics too!

Thank you!

Re: Hi, I am new and need cage suggestions [Re: VBclick] #1406102
12/30/16 05:15 PM
12/30/16 05:15 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Actually the powder coated cages from Sun Coast are originally bird cages. LOL

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Hi, I am new and need cage suggestions [Re: VBclick] #1406114
12/31/16 10:42 AM
12/31/16 10:42 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
I am a big fan of the Critternation model 162

For wheels,the Stealth wheels seems to be working well for us.

Both sold on Amazon.

Re: Hi, I am new and need cage suggestions [Re: TwoDog] #1406115
12/31/16 11:45 AM
12/31/16 11:45 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Yes Suncoast Glider and EN both sell HQ cages, the ones from Suncoast are called Sturdy & Lrg Sturdy, they have extra windows because of why Kimberly said, they're originally flight cages. The EN are named Brisbane & Congo, I'm guessing because they don't have the extra windows they may have been designed for Sugar Gliders or other caged critters. They are well made, I have personally had the EN Madagascar cage and currently have the Suncoast Lrg Sturdy, and have been happy with both.

The Critter Nation cage is also a very popular cage that is well made.

Dawn gave you some awesome pointers, please continue to read and if you have questions please feel free to post them.

You will find controversy on certain topics related to Sugar Gliders. A large part of that is basically differences of opinion, but also largely contributing is the learning of updated information. As with anything, there is always more to learn and latest discoveries, so some come to have that knowledge a little sooner while others continue to pass along "past information", not exactly intentionally giving false information.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Hi, I am new and need cage suggestions [Re: VBclick] #1406120
12/31/16 04:12 PM
12/31/16 04:12 PM
US
V
VBclick Offline OP
In Pouch
VBclick  Offline OP
In Pouch
V

US
Thank you everybody! Got the wheel part taken care of ( ordered the stealth wheel from Amazon 12"). More suggestions are always welcome.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,629 TEXAS
679,099 OHIO
487,211 OKLAHOMA
432,215 UTAH
321,730 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024