Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brand new to Sugar Gliders...questions #1407210
02/10/17 12:57 PM
02/10/17 12:57 PM
South Texas
D
Deidera Offline OP
Deidera  Offline OP
D

South Texas
Good morning! I live in South Texas and purchased my first sugar glider on an impulse at a fair about 3 weeks ago. I rarely do things like that, but after seeing how cute they were, I couldn't resist. Brought her home and began doing all of my research. I have fallen deeply in love and want only the best for her. I am in outside sales and love to take her with me in her bonding pouch during the day. I've always wondered if it's ok to do this with nothing to eat or drink throughout the day?

Also, after we go to bed, I occasionally hear her barking. What does that mean? Is she happy and having fun or looking for something?

After lots of patience and time, she is now climbing on my hand and will walk up my arm. This morning she walked up my arm and outside of her cage! I absolutely love watching the progress. She only does this in the morning, though. In the pouch, she is still very crabby and will lunge at me. I have have just started putting my fingers slightly in her pouch and taking the bites. She does a little better each time. I'm hoping this is normal progress. I have not held her in my hands yet. Just don't feel like the time is right just yet. Do you think she will get to the point where she will allow me to hold her or do I just start trying to do it myself? I can't hardly wait to be able to cuddle her and have her climb all over me out of her cage! But I don't want to rush anything and make bonding worse either.

Many times when I put my hand in the cage, she will come to me, put her hands on mine, smell me, then bite. She will bite several times and sometimes it really hurts (has never broke the skin, though). She is obviously not biting out of fear so I'm curious if this is just a stage she is going though or what?? I'd like to think it's love bites but she gets a little aggressive with them. smile

I look very forward to your comments and questions you have for me. I know as I travel this journey, I will have many more questions for you all. Thanks for all of your expert advise in advance!

Deidera

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Brand new to Sugar Gliders...questions [Re: Deidera] #1407211
02/10/17 02:04 PM
02/10/17 02:04 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
:welcomegc:. wave

We got Fiona the same way in west Texas. sounds like bonding is going well. You don't have to take the bites, she is being a bit feisty. When she bites "Ssst ,tssssk, or sshhht" her. It is glider talk for I don't like what you are doing. And move her mouth away. You may try giving her something else to bite. Like a small toy or a piece of fleece.

The crabbing and lunging is from her being scared. She might like a small fleece blank (4" ×4" squares) to hang onto. Rub it on your arms or sleep with a few to get your scent on them and change them out every few days.

Have you considered getting her a friend? The barking is her looking for you or another glider. Does she have a glide safe wheels or toys? Since they are nocturnal, they play at night. She is probably lonesome or bored.

Having her in a bonding pouch all day everyday can be stressful. She will need some apples or grapes (seedless ) for a snack. As a joey, she needs her rest and should only be carried 3-4 hours at a time.

What diet did you choose for her?

Any word that is in blue you can click on and it will give you more info.

I know I didn't answer all your questions ( on break) so I'll get back to you. And till then please ask about anything we are here to help.

Please keep us posted on your progress, and we love pics!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Brand new to Sugar Gliders...questions [Re: Deidera] #1407214
02/10/17 02:38 PM
02/10/17 02:38 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Welcome to GliderCENTRAL! Dawn has given you some great information.

Your glider is still a joey, they bite things as a way of seeing what they are.

She crabs in the pouch because she is scared. Take your time and go at her pace.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I am moving this to bonding & Relations for more exposure.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Brand new to Sugar Gliders...questions [Re: Ladymagyver] #1407227
02/10/17 08:18 PM
02/10/17 08:18 PM
South Texas
D
Deidera Offline OP
Deidera  Offline OP
D

South Texas
Thanks for the great advice! I have considered getting her a friend after doing some reading. Just haven't looked far enough into it yet. I will need to know if I should get another joey or adult, male or female (pros and cons of each sex), how to introduce them, etc. I have a large cage now that's stated big enough to house 4 gliders. I do have several toys and a glider wheel (which she LOVES). I plan on making many cage sets as I go along (fleece ropes, hammocks, etc.).
I have been feeding her the homemade BML diet with some fruits and vegetables. After doing some research, I am fixing to convert her to the HPW Complete diet from Critter Love. My shipment should arrive tomorrow. Do you think it will be ok to convert her straight over to it or offer both for a few days? I have also started her on the salad mixtures that she has on her site.
I am enjoying very much learning about these beautiful animals and look foward to my future with them. Please continue with any helpful information I could benefit from.
Thanks again!

Re: Brand new to Sugar Gliders...questions [Re: Deidera] #1407233
02/11/17 05:35 AM
02/11/17 05:35 AM
Lecanto Florida
1daddyglider1 Offline
Glider Guardian
1daddyglider1  Offline
Glider Guardian

Lecanto Florida
Copied same response---Also shows hand at top or looking in at baby first, hand over baby from outside of pouch with slight pressure to stop crabbing and lunging, before sliding hand inside pouch.
I don't like the cupped in your hand and away from your chest method.You also should look at what you are going to do next. You can't hold your hands out in front of you for very long or get up and walk around. Also if baby/adult baby gets squirmy it is harder to keep them from jumping off or escaping.

I prefer to have hand in pouch and my hand over the glider. This also kinda rolls into next step for me which is holding on chest under my cupped hand(s). If sugar glider gets active all I have to do is kinda roll top hand over top of baby/adult and they can't get away, loving of course.

I also can get up and walk around and do things one handed(after little one is comfy and secure on me).

This is a link to show how hands are over glider and semi open hands.
art
http://newagegliderssuggiew.forumsmotion.com/t59-bonding-with-a-pouch

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024