Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Three weeks in, first timer, questions . #1413355
12/12/17 06:42 AM
12/12/17 06:42 AM
Atlantis
billytense aka Lisa11 Offline OP
Joey Member
billytense aka Lisa11  Offline OP
Joey Member

Atlantis
Hi everyone!
Currently picking this out one handed as I have Wendy in her pouch on my chest with my hand lightly on top of her little sleeping body I would speech to text but for some reason my voice makes Wendy very crabby. Even if she's not on my body so not a vibration issue I think.

So that's question one... Noise makes Wendy extra crabby but not Lisa..

Wendy is under two months old and I have had hey for two weeks. Lucy is about three or four months old and I've had her going on four weeks. They are being fed the bml diet with a steady stream of treats such as meal works, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, and a great frozen treats.

I have them in separate cages next to each other. Each had a pouch blanket, wheel, water bottle, water dish, food dish and some toys. I have only tried to introduce them twice. I did this in the play tent. The first time the baby Wendy got on Lucy's back and rode her around. No complaining or crabbing from anyone. But I thought Lucy looked uncomfortable.. Being a newbie though I was alarmed and tried to separate them which ended up being noisyy and stressful for everyone involved. The second time the same thing happened but Lucy got free and hid. Wendy frantically searched the text but even when she passed over the spot on the blanket indeed which Lucy was hiding she could get find her. So much for that super sense of Smell..

Question number two. This seems like baby behavior or dominant behavior, when I house then together I guess I'll find out? Is this normal? Am I going about this correctly?

I
Both gliders are very very eager to get out of the cage... Reminds me of the first Jurassic Park. When the hunter fellow says "when she looks at you, you can see that she's working things out..."
I even think the baby knows when I forget to put a binder clip on one of the cage doors.....

Shouldn't they want to be in/return to their home?

I have let Lucy loose in my bedroom a few times... ( First time by accident) and it was pretty easy to pick her when she would scale the curtains to scoop her up and get her into a pouch and into the cage. But now she isn't very polite about wanting out. As soon as I reach in to maintain or change something, she earnestly tries to go squeeze past my arm to get out and she won't climb the curtains anymore. Basically I have to spend an hour chasing and tiring her out to. She learned that the curtains were a weak spot and now al doesn't use them. She also had been studying how I get in and out of the play tent..,.

When they do get out should I just play the waiting game or should I don some gloves and forcibly (but gently) pick them up and return them to the cage or pouch.? I don't want them to associate me with fear and I feel that if I really Chase them that they will get terrified.

I ordered the biggest cage off of Amazon and it should be Here today. I plan on making the second bedroom the girls room with the cage, play tent camping and hopefully some perches.
Also it's been impossible to get either glider into a pouch. Lucy has had to stay in the play tent the past to nights simply because I didn't want to put on gloves and manhandled her into the pouch just to go drop it in the cage.

Also it's like "50 first dates" with Lucy everyday, it's like she had amnesia everything she wakes up and we have to start all over again.

Wendy the baby seems to remember that she is not particularly fond of me very easily though.
Let's see what else..I always greet them by name and with a licky treat or something but as soon as the go up my arm they want to roam and not come home.

Ok getting tired. I come home from work and spend anywhere from one to three hours with the gliders but it just depends on who is in a good mood that day as to who gets more time.. so that's my long rambling post. Any advice that I haven't already read in the hundreds of great posts or general tips or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Wendy is currently hl awake and trying to chew a hole in her pouch so I think I better put. Her back and start my day waiting for the Amazon delivery...

Thanks in advance!!!!!

PS names bill not Lisa or Lucy to....ha.

Pps for pouch time, it seems like any movement makes them crabby, simple house work, and even walking around, should I just let them cream until they get used to the movement, or should I tuck the pouch under my shirt to minimize the movement?

Last edited by Lisa11; 12/12/17 09:44 AM.

Great googley moogley

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413356
12/12/17 09:51 AM
12/12/17 09:51 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hi Bill, and :welcomegc:

With Wendy being a joey, it's normal for her to try to climb on Lucy's back. Lucy is probably too young to understand what Wendy is doing.

Have you read this?

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/..._Ea#Post1407885

After swapping pouches and cages, try tent time in the morning while they are sleepy. They tire out faster and be more willing to go back to their pouch.

You can also do intros in the bathtub in the morning.(toilet seat down please)

It's best to do this on a day you can be home to observe them through the day to make sure all is well.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413371
12/12/17 07:12 PM
12/12/17 07:12 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
:welcome2:

Please check your PMs, the flashing envelope at the top of the page.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413385
12/12/17 11:46 PM
12/12/17 11:46 PM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Thank you very much for your reply you guys must get really tired answering the same questions over and over and over again. Just had some really good time with Lucy it's amazing sometimes how she just starts learning different things are doing different things and it just blows my mind I've pretty much put every other little project I have on hold and I can't wait to get home and eat and get in the tent and just hang out and see what she does. Today she got real playful and actually like jumped onto my head and jumped off my head very strange sensation. It still seems like she's scared of my hands so I move pretty much in slow motion.
The article you linked was helpful. I need to keep reminding myself that I am on their time and schedule and not mine so 2 weeks to me probably nothing to them especially because they're so young.
I hope my post wasn't too ludicris, it was pretty late.
Thanks again!!
And I'll post soon.

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413386
12/12/17 11:59 PM
12/12/17 11:59 PM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Also would like everyone to know that good idea bad idea I'm trapped inside the tent with Lucy Lucy is smart and she knows when I'm trying to get out of the tent so she's either on my head or on my shoulders are on my arm or on the zipper and she won't let me leave because she wants to leave too. I want to leave because 1 I just can't pee on the floor like some people I know and I also would like to go check on her sister so I might be here for a while

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413392
12/13/17 12:49 AM
12/13/17 12:49 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
:funny: :roflmao2: Sorry, not funny... :roflmao: No really... Not. Funny... :rofl2:

But I've done that myself!!! :fall: Now that my girls are bonded, they just hitch a ride out of the tent, I drop them off at their cage, and do the potty dance all the way down the hall!!! Lol!!!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413395
12/13/17 01:04 AM
12/13/17 01:04 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
shakehead

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413401
12/13/17 11:28 AM
12/13/17 11:28 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Lisa11
I hope my post wasn't too ludicris, it was pretty late.

Nope, all of us have been there!

And I'll post soon.

Good! We love stories & pictures.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413428
12/14/17 03:59 AM
12/14/17 03:59 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
PART TWO OF THE SIEGE. (Again, on my phone so excuse errors)

As I mentioned before I was, for lack of a better word, trapped inside the play tent with Lucy who was as eager to get out of the tent as I perhaps more. Although I don't know why, two wheels, an abundance of food, several sleeping options, toys, puzzles, a sweet sounds system from Aldi's and several other amenities under construction or in the planning phase awaiting budgetary approval were all at her disposal.

Somehow Lucy Had positioned herself between me and The crucial zippers that controlled the exit flap. the tent was warm, I was tired I closed my eyes for a few seconds but it must have turned into a short nap because when I awoke, Lucy had gathered up all of the food supplies and stacked them neatly behind her. Somehow she also had the foresight and strategic wisdom to gather up the water bowls and bottle and place them adjacent to her. It was clear that she was in this for the Long Haul. She has all the resources.

Well I'm human and I have a giant brain and I also have strategery. I slowly made my way towards Lucy and as we began to play I stroked her head slowly and behind her ears and as her eyes drooped I could tell she was headed for a snooze and I made my move.

Slowly ever so slowly I reached up for the zipper and I clicked it one tooth upwards. I had calculated much like Tom Hanks did on the cage wall in "Castaway", that if I do this once every two or three seconds the 562 teeth could be covered in a matter of hours
3.1 to be exact. Factoring in The X of unknown times Lucy might wake up or open one eye to see what was going on I figured around four to five hours would be an approximation before I could taste the sweet sweet air of Freedom outside the tent,
Much like Tom Hanks in Castaway again, I had come to the realization that I would be here for a while I would need an ally so I started carving a friend out of a banana flavored rice puff that Ms. "I have all the food now" somehow missed. I used a fingernail sliver as my tool and soon "Puff Daddy" was formed and ready to do battle.
I had moved the zipper three notches, no movement from my captor..... My plan moved forward....

TO BE CONTINUED....

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Hutch] #1413429
12/14/17 04:26 AM
12/14/17 04:26 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Read your saga, really entertaining and it's helping me a lot since I'm experiencing a lot of the same stuff..😁

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413444
12/14/17 11:38 PM
12/14/17 11:38 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Ok Bill, is there a story behind your name?

Your signature reminds me of an old 70's (?) Song by Tanya Tucker:

"My Name's Not Lisa"

But her name was Julie...

I'm not sure how old you are, but back in the day was very popular!

Oh jeeze! Now it's stuck in my head... shakehead

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 12/14/17 11:40 PM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413447
12/14/17 11:58 PM
12/14/17 11:58 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
The names Lisa and Wendy remind me of characters in a movie. Are they from a movie?

I keep thinking Purple Rain for some reason, there's a song in that movie, I'm thinking those names are in, but could be mistaken.

Last edited by Terry; 12/15/17 12:02 AM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Terry] #1413448
12/15/17 04:59 AM
12/15/17 04:59 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Wendy and Lisa were prince proteges. They had their 15 min of Fame. Lol..
I originally came home after my first day away at work and just spontaneously shouted "Lucy! , I'm home!!!". So that's glider one. I was so tired when I was writing my first post that I thought the signature was the name of your glider but I typed in Lisa instead of Lucy.
Glider 2 was called Wendy so I just kept it. It was either that or saga. Sasha.. still not sure they can recognize names.

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413449
12/15/17 05:00 AM
12/15/17 05:00 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
I have heard that song but unfortunately doesn't have any thing to do with my mistake name...😊

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413453
12/15/17 11:33 AM
12/15/17 11:33 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Wendy and Lisa were prince proteges. They had their 15 min of Fame. Lol..
I originally came home after my first day away at work and just spontaneously shouted "Lucy! , I'm home!!!". So that's glider one. .

:haha:
That is adorable! I knew there would be a story! And I do love her name!

I taught my two their names with treats. I would only say "Fiona" or "Dot" as they received the treat. Now if I get them confused, they freeze, I get a stink eye. Fiona will pout when I call her Dot.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413476
12/15/17 06:41 PM
12/15/17 06:41 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
I taught my two their names with treats. I would only say "Fiona" or "Dot" as they received the treat.

I tried to teach mine their names that way. Now, if I say any of their names, they all come for a treat >.< I think Gwynevere is the only one who knows when I say 'Gwyn' the sounds I make are meant for her.

And, of course, she still expects a treat when hearing her name or I get the stink eye *face palm*

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Hutch] #1413478
12/15/17 07:14 PM
12/15/17 07:14 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I strongly believe Lulu knew or recognized her name, maybe Skadoosh too, sometimes I feel she looked offended when I called her Lulu, but can't be sure that was not my imagination. Lulu, I'm pretty sure, but can't be 100% positive, she did appear to respond to her name several times. Ollie on the other hand, well I don't even know how many names that poor guy had in his first 4 yrs. With me, he doesn't seem to respond, but maybe some day.

Yeah, I thought Wendy and Lisa were in that movie for a short snip, been a long time since I've seen it.

Talk to Karen about the name thing, another member here was able to change his name, perhaps there is still a way to do so, if you want to.

Last edited by Terry; 12/15/17 07:16 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413484
12/15/17 11:33 PM
12/15/17 11:33 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Tucker knew his name, but then Tucker was Tucker. He was a star.

Miss that little buggar.

Kimberley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413493
12/16/17 01:37 PM
12/16/17 01:37 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I have heard that song but unfortunately doesn't have any thing to do with my mistake name...&#128522;

If you are wanting to change your Display Name aka Lisa11, I sent you a PM, so just respond in it letting me know. I'm a whiz at changing those rofl

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413524
12/18/17 08:34 AM
12/18/17 08:34 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
The siege: final chapter.

I'm out. Out of the tent....

Lucy was too smart for her own good. She was seeing me as an obstacle to her freedom. She was seeing me as, well, a human. To gain her trust I had to think like a glider, act like a glider... I had to become. A glider. So I learned the language, I used "raw materials" found in n the tent to

give myself a glider like appearance.
I fashioned a tail out of part of the bedsheet I was using to cover the crinkle floor of the tent.
Actually I didn't do any of this. I just opened the zipper and we both left when Lucy gets tired she jumps on me and doesn't jump off. It's wonderful that everyday I play with them I learn new things just as they are exploring they're world and doing the same. I truly love these girls. I've always had dogs but also people to help take care of them. I would never get a dog just to have him sit alone all day waiting for me to come home and play for an hour. Gliders are the perfect pet for someone in my position. Oh, it's late gotta go.!

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413529
12/18/17 12:03 PM
12/18/17 12:03 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I agree! Since we travel, I hate doing the dog pick up duty... Ya know??

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413780
12/26/17 04:22 PM
12/26/17 04:22 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I know this was your final chapter, but is it getting any easier to vacate the tent? Mine jump off my shoulder once in awhile to explore something interesting, but usually will jump back to me.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413785
12/26/17 05:36 PM
12/26/17 05:36 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Originally Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11
The siege: final chapter.

I'm out. Out of the tent....

Lucy was too smart for her own good. She was seeing me as an obstacle to her freedom. She was seeing me as, well, a human. To gain her trust I had to think like a glider, act like a glider... I had to become. A glider. So I learned the language, I used "raw materials" found in n the tent to

give myself a glider like appearance.
I fashioned a tail out of part of the bedsheet I was using to cover the crinkle floor of the tent.
Actually I didn't do any of this. I just opened the zipper and we both left when Lucy gets tired she jumps on me and doesn't jump off. It's wonderful that everyday I play with them I learn new things just as they are exploring they're world and doing the same. I truly love these girls. I've always had dogs but also people to help take care of them. I would never get a dog just to have him sit alone all day waiting for me to come home and play for an hour. Gliders are the perfect pet for someone in my position. Oh, it's late gotta go.!

:funny: :roflmao2:

I was actually going to suggest you get a pic of that up here, but then read you didn't-----actually----do-----that dunno I was fooled for a few seconds :pointlaugh:

I have a dog, but I'm lucky she didn't have to be home alone for long periods at a time for most of her life, even as my situations were constantly changing, her and I have been lucky!

I had a pet dragon once too, & a Leo, which are great too, but maybe a bit too laid back in the entertainment category. My little dragon though (Rankin's Bearded Dragon), being diurnal would wait up for me to get home in the evening to spend time with me. If I got home too late, he'd be found sleeping with his front feet and face smashed against the front of his enclosure shakehead I'd have to put him in his little hiding place for sleeping, so cute!

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413792
12/26/17 11:59 PM
12/26/17 11:59 PM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
I'm getting a little better at handling the girls. Wendy moves more like a jumping spider, if I didn't know any better I'd say she actually teleports a few inches at a time. She is almost always in the"ready to flee" stance, sorry of low to the ground and legs out.
Lucy is more of a sprinter. Both are very fast and don't show down much unless eating or after we play a lot and I then the bright lights on. One thing I need to get better at is talking to them, some times I just watch and not really say much. They are so similar looking that I often can't tell who I'm trying to talk to until they move. I've also been neglecting of pouch time. Everytime I've tried it it seems like all they do is crab even if I'm being careful not to move too much. I'm not a big tv person and I'm always on the move, so maybe it would be better to just get them in the pouch and watch a movie.
About once every three nights I get in the tent with both and just lay down and watch them. It's usually because of work and I'm beat but I know bonding time is important. They climb all over me, it's pretty relaxing actually.

I watched some nail cutting videos. Yeah, that's not happening, not with my little balls of energy. The lady fed her glider a treat then just casually picked up a leg and started clipping away! Then the other leg and the glider didn't even care! The other video showed a lady pulling feet out of a bag. Ugh.

I bought a whole bunch of stuff for the cage today, everything was like seventh percent off, so I promise I'll get some pics up soon. Love all the communication here and I hope everyone and their gliders had a good holiday!!!!

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413795
12/27/17 02:05 AM
12/27/17 02:05 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Nail clipping :

Mine wouldn't take a treat till they were well bonded and more mature. Like 9+ months old.

Clipping nails should be done in the middle of their sleeptime. I found that 1-2 in the afternoon worked for mine. Get all your stuff ready ahead of time, take sleeping and pouch and all out, pat cuddle them till they settle down. Use a 18×18" fleece to reach in for one. This helps get them out when you sort of roll the fleece under their feet. Try to keep your hands as un involved with touching them as you can except for holding their feet.

It's still a struggle for me sometimes, and I feel your concern.

Movie time is a good time for bonding as long as it's during their sleep/naptime.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: Ladymagyver] #1413796
12/27/17 04:19 AM
12/27/17 04:19 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
You always have the best info! And it's like Grandma's recipes with this stuff, someone is always leaving a crucial point out.
One more week of work and I'll have four weeks to spend with the girls.
I know every glider is different but some sort of timeline/goal/progress chart would be interesting. Almost like levels. I remember the first time I got my hand in and out of the cage with out anyone crabbing or lunging. That was definitely a level up. Most times they will take treats from me but tonight for some reason even the freeze dried chicken necks weren't appealing. Sometimes I feel like we are playing and sometimes I feel like I am chasing them. All in all I think things are going well, I've only missed one night of bonding since I got them. Thanks again for everything. I have to start writing these during regular hours when I'm a little more coherent..

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413817
12/27/17 10:43 PM
12/27/17 10:43 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Like Dawn, I usually do nail trims between 1-2pm, occasionally a little earlier if my schedule demands so, more rarely after 2pm, but never, never, never beyond 3pm lol (although, at 3pm one time was okay).

My girls, who I had for a longer period than Ollie, I was able to work them into what I call the "mealie method".

I started having everything set out: large section of fleece lining the designated area (my desk), the container of freeze dried mealies (crucial), a small glass bowl (for said mealies), nail clippers, bleed stop (corn starch), an emory board, my eye glasses (so I can see), a pouch (if needed, and for Ollie-also crucial) and now I also keep handy an open cuticle trimmer which is occasionally needed. All of this is laid out on my desk in ready fashion and lighting is adjusted.

At first, when I just had the girls I prepared the dish of mealies and just let them feast-all you can eat style. I would pick up their feet randomly, hold their feet, rub their feet gently, first one foot, than another foot. This got them used to the idea of me touch their feet and holding them, while they feasted. I had everything ready just in case the right moment came along to try nail trimming. I believe it was the third time of setting up. I did have to distract them back to the bowl of mealies, and I began after that just doing one at a time. I started leaving one in their canvas carrier while one got trimmed. Even my Lulu (RIP my sweet girl), who was once a severe biter was very good with this method, and even would allow me to hold her in my hand afterwards, petting and offering mealies. You can see a pic of her in my hand in my tribute to her in the Rainbow Bridge forum if you wish.

Then Ollie came along, lol. Unfortunately, he didn't have the time to adjust to this method, nor did I take the same steps, poor little guy was kind of just started where the girls were. So, needless to say, he needs to be pouched for most of his nail trimming. Sometimes he does a little better, last time he got almost all front toes done without being pouched.

I was doing their nails every three weeks, but now have started trying to trim them every other week. Hoping more frequent will help Ollie adjust to the method.

Anyway, hope you found some of this story useful. I personally like nail trim day because I get to spend some handling time with my gliders.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413827
12/28/17 02:12 AM
12/28/17 02:12 AM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
That's great! The only question I have is when you say you adjust the lighting. I'm guessing you dim it to the point of where you can still see but it's not too bothering for the gliders. My girls will stay in wherever they decide to sleep if they think it's too bright and as soon as I dim the lights enough for them they are out in a flash.
I honestly thought all this time I've been spending with them at night was bonding us (and I'm sure it is to a small degree) but

I didn't realize how much I was missing out on the daytime bonding, I tried a few times but quit when the crabbing wouldn't stop. Now I know I gave up too soon.
I'm also guessing that either your girls are well bonded to you so you are not worried that they will"take off" or you are in a goode proof area.
I have been trying to read a few articles a night before I go to bed and every little bit helps but the best information so far has come from here, so thanks again a million times.!

Great googley moogley

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413829
12/28/17 11:48 AM
12/28/17 11:48 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I had an experience similar to yours during tent time. Dot didn't want to be in the tent, she wanted to be on the tent. I had the tent on my bed, so it was difficult to reach her, and she went into panic mode when she was loose. Our bedroom at the time was full of things gliders shouldn't be around. We finally caught her when she got into hubby's cracker barrel filled with fishing rods. It was very funny later, she climbed to the very top of the tallest and could go no further. With her movement, it caused the pole to tilt, then tip over. The tallest place she could jump to was hubby... Dot was a challenge from the day we picked her up, but she learned that day she hated the noise fishing poles make when they start to fall over.

Fiona's first trip from the tent to the cage on my back/shoulder was interesting too. We had been playing in the tent the jumping game where she would climb high and jump to my head, over and over. So dumb me decided to let her stay on my back to get out of the tent. She is the calmer of the two. She just hung out, I climbing from shoulder to the middle of my back, checking things out. While walking through kitchen, all of the sudden she decided to jump to the refrigerator. With nothing the grab, she fell to the floor. I stood still and she was between me and the dark cavern under the beast of the fridge. Not wanting to scare her, I had to calmly bend over and offer her my arm, hand facing down, and pray she chose me over unknown darkness. She looked at both, and then ran, jumped all the way to my shoulder. I almost cried... I quickly took her to the cage where she merrily jumped in, got a drink and snack and went to bed....

Those of you veteran glider slaves are wondering, "what the heck? Why weren't they in their pouch before the "zipper" was opened? Is she crazy, or what?!?" Well, I had my reasons at the time, but that was long ago... All I remember is what happened after the "zipper" was opened...

But yes, they learned I would take them home to their cage after tent time, and for the most part sat on my shoulder for a ride only with a few side trips along the way... 2 years later, they just go for a ride, and nothing else intrests them.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 12/28/17 11:54 AM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Three weeks in, first timer, questions . [Re: billytense aka Lisa11] #1413843
12/28/17 03:18 PM
12/28/17 03:18 PM
Atlantis
Joey Member
Joey Member

Atlantis
Awesome! Man do I know how you feel when you are waiting an eternity for your glider to choose you or the thing you forgot was there. I hate reading these posts at work because in stuck here all day and is much rather be home with the girls.
That story is a really good example of why I should be talking with my gliders more. If they ever disappear somewhere where I can't see them and unfamiliar, the sound of my voice is going to be the only thing that keeps them from panicking and possibly finding their way back.
That should be in the glider 101 class for sure.

Great googley moogley

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024