GliderCENTRAL

Possible new mommy in the making

Posted By: xombae

Possible new mommy in the making - 03/09/17 06:34 AM

My husband has decided to give me the okay to get a couple of joeys. Just curious if anyone has a checklist of things that I'm going to need, cage recommendations, diy food recipes, etc. I've been doing research for about 3 weeks now, but would like some veteran parent suggestions so that I'm prepared. We have 2 cats, so any experience introducing cat to glider would be helpful as well. I'm from Arizona and have found one rescue group and a few breeders but haven't quite decided which route I'm going to take. Thank you so much for any help you can give me to get started!!!
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Possible new mommy in the making - 03/09/17 10:14 AM

:welcomegc:

As far as cages, I have the sturdy cage from Suncoast gliders. It has a hammered powder coat finish and is easy to clean. They charge 9.95 shipping. Cage has to be assembled. My second cage is in our RV and will be replaced soon. Not worth mentioning.

I have 2 different glider safe wheels. One from attic works (my girls favorite). It is cage mounted. One from Spinzone. It is a floor mount.

You will need a cage set which includes 2 sleeping pouches, corner hammocks, and a bridge. I would recommend finding a set with larger sleeping pouches so it can grow with your joeys and as you develop your bonding process, you can spend some fist time with them.

You will need a bonding pouch and blankies (4" square pieces of fleece to put your scent on (tuck under pillow or toss in laundry hamper) so they can be tucked into their sleeping Pouch while they sleep.

I currently use the Critter Love complete diet. The best DIY diet is the BML diet. Everthing can be purchased at a grocery store and a pet store.

I don't have any other pets, but I would recommend that you keep your gliders in a room away from your cats until they at least settle, and your bonding process has begun. Too much stimulation in a new environment is very stressful. Many here can tell you their experience with other pets, but I would not risk it.

I have given you a lot of info. All words in blue can be clicked on and will take you to more on that topic.

The more research, the more questions you will have. Scroll down to bonding and relations topic. There are a few really good reads there.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Possible new mommy in the making - 03/09/17 12:39 PM

Hey there! Welcome to the sugar madness.

For cages I am a fan of the Critter Nation model 162.
(Can see it on Amazon).

Diet is crucial. Make no mistake, a glider will *die* if it doesn't get adequate nutrition. And they will hide their pain from you. So by the time you realize you have a problem, the problem can be quite advanced. The top three diets in play these days seem to be Critterlove Complete, TPG, and BML

TWO water bottles---glass preferred (IMHO)

Small folding pop up tent....like a Genji or something. Invaluable for bonding.

One roll of heavy guage tinfoil, scotch tape...baseball cap.

These little guys can go for 15 years in some cases, so it's a big commitment. Sooo rewarding though...not like any other animal you have had. :-)

Bottled water. I am a recent convert to this. Safety first. A gallon jug from the grocery store will go a long way.

The members on this board make superior quality fleece products to what you can get at the store.

Wheels: I use the Stealth (see it on amazon) but there are many similar--all good.

Bandaids...CDs of soothing music, Xanax.... (those are for you, not them)

Happy Glider-ing!
Posted By: mechnut450

Re: Possible new mommy in the making - 03/09/17 04:53 PM

Like everyone has been saying. I would make sure gliders are in a room the cats wont enter cause a cat will try and catch and kill a glider thinking they a big mouse or small rat. ( plus they cause toxin reaction to the glider if scratched ( and can kill them)

If you not looked at them ( being they are in AZ area ) check out AZ glider rescue they always got sweet gliders ready for homes. OI will warn be prepared to bee peed and pooped on a lot lol they go when they need to and it also help you smell more like them so I consider that a good sign of being welcomed as part of colony.
Posted By: TwoDog

Re: Possible new mommy in the making - 03/09/17 09:31 PM

Hey you are going to be in Phoenix?
IM going to be in Phoenix!
JINX!
Posted By: xombae

Re: Possible new mommy in the making - 03/10/17 12:00 AM

Thank you so much everyone! My older cat is scared of everything under the sun, so I'm not too worried about her even going near the cage. Is $500 for a bonded pair of white face boys a good price?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Possible new mommy in the making - 03/10/17 07:02 PM

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!

You have been given some great information.
Posted By: Hutch

Re: Possible new mommy in the making - 03/10/17 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: xombae
Is $500 for a bonded pair of white face boys a good price?
Based on what I've seen when purchasing joeys from breeders, I think that is a reasonable price. Seems like a lot of sources (online anyways) charges between $200 & $400 for Classic Greys, with variations going up in cost from there.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL