GliderCENTRAL

New Glider Mom

Posted By: Sally53

New Glider Mom - 06/01/17 01:37 PM

Good morning all,
I'm a newbie to gliders. Like many, I first saw gliders at a craft show or something similar many years ago. Finally bought two from Craigslist a week ago. I was told they are both just over a year old. Male (neutered) and female. I believe they were both purchased from one of the many show. They seem to be fairly well adjusted and the people were feeding a reasonable diet. They were a christmas gift for the daughter but my impression was that they moved too fast for her plus the nipping and scratching were off putting.
For the last week I have have mostly just left them alone. I have carried them in a pouch a couple of times and spent time just watching and talking to them. I have started them on the Critter Love diet. I had no idea something that small could eat that much. I have named them Primrose and Jinks (not jinx as in bad luck).
On to my questions. I have had dogs for years and always used Nature's Miracle to clean after them so that was my go to for the glider cage. After reading some other posts, I'm questioning that. Opinions? Another question is how many treats are OK? I'm thinking I'll start doing bathroom time this weekend. Does that sound appropriate?

Thank you for your time,
Sally
Posted By: Alan

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/01/17 02:04 PM

First off welcome!!! There are a ton of great people here with a ton of info that can help you out!!

In terms of bathroom time, I would say if they have been fine in the pouch you should be good. Have you done fist time? Putting your fist into the bag so they get used to it? Have you placed some fleece squares in with them with your scent? That helps a lot! Treats are fine in small amounts. Mine usually get them if they do something good, like come to the front of the cage when I call their names, or when they come out of their pouch in my tent and jump to me. After fist time I usually give them little treats too so they know if they are good with that time they get a treat.

Welcome again!!

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/01/17 02:35 PM

I am doing the fleece stuff but I haven't tried to touch them yet. I think I'm afraid of moving at my pace not theirs.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/01/17 04:51 PM

:welcomegc:

So glad you are here!

Alan has given you some great advise.

Cleaning issue:
I'm not familiar with cleaner you mentioned. Gliders like cats groom every part of their body. And gliders are very small, so it doesn't take much to make them sick. Having said that, if they do get sick (maybe for another reason), using vinegar/water mix for cleaning is what has been strongly recommended. It cleans sanitizes naturally. Dawn dish soap for deep cleaning and rinsed well. I use 1 part cider vinegar to 3 parts water.

It keeps it simple and inexpensive.

BTW, we love pics!

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/01/17 05:08 PM

If you feel like you aren't ready to put your first in, then don't. I didn't feel comfortable at first so I worked up to it with fleece smells and them in the pouch and eventually went for it. I did rent time with them, and now after rent time they climb back into their pouch and I put my fist in and zip the rest up and leave it. It's hard at first, you don't want to show them that any crabbing or nipping will get a reaction from you, but you also don't want to overwhelm them. With the fist, don't move too fast to opening you hand. Just do the fist. I started at 5 min in, then 10, working my way up. It's a balance but once you start tent time it comes naturally for you both. Just keep the scent fleece thing and holding the pouch you'll be great!
Posted By: Terry

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/02/17 12:05 AM

:welcomegc: & Congratulations!

Yes, Alan gave some great suggestions. Also, read all you can on relationship building, move at the pace you're comfortable with, but also take cues from your gliders.

I use v/w solution, 1pt to 3pts as suggested, I mix in a spray bottle to use as I find it more convenient. I use with a sponge (soft side/scrub side type) to wipe down cage bars. I use spray and paper towels each morning in drop tray.
Posted By: Feather

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/02/17 04:10 AM

:welcome2:
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/02/17 02:52 PM

:welcomegc:

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/02/17 02:57 PM

I have taken your advice, Alan, and am now sitting with my fist in the pouch with the furballs. This brings to mind a movie I saw years ago in which the hero had to stick his hand in a box. If something in there bit/stung him, he would die an agonizing death. If not, he was favored and passed the test.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/02/17 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Sally53
If something in there bit/stung him, he would die an agonizing death. If not, he was favored and passed the test.

:gluck:

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/02/17 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: KarenE
Originally Posted By: Sally53
If something in there bit/stung him, he would die an agonizing death. If not, he was favored and passed the test.

:gluck:

:rofl2:

I have issues with sticking my hand in dark places I can't see. Like shoes... I will beat my shoe with a bat before my hand goes in there...

Oh wait!!! Please don't beat... OMG! Not the bat!

Sorry for the humor... Anyway, my point is, look in pouch, make sure only your soft fuzzbutts are in there, tight fist (they can't bite it), relax, breathe in and breathe out... Find your Zen... Slowly intro fist. Happy thoughts are best...

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/02/17 08:06 PM

LOL grin
Posted By: Stef333

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/03/17 01:20 PM

>>> If something in there bit/stung him, he would die an agonizing death. If not, he was favored and passed the test.

Yea, that's pretty much how it goes. May your hand find favor among the guardians of the pouch! smile

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/03/17 01:52 PM

:agreed: :thumb2:

Please keep us posted on your progress...

And once they calm down, slowly open, and run your fingers under them. If they nip, "Sssst or Tsssk" to let them know you don't like it. Just don't flinch. It startles them, and tbey learn real fast how to get rid of you... Bwwaaa ha ha...

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/03/17 02:17 PM

Lol, I never mastered the not flinching part.

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/03/17 11:06 PM

So far, so good. Fist in the pouch was a success. Sat for an hour or so without a problem. Did bathroom time. Fed treats without nips. Prim jumped on my knee and let me pet her. Jinks jumped up but wasn't interested in sitting still.

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/03/17 11:20 PM

Yay!!! I'm glad it went well for you!! Seems like they are coming along well!! Pictures and updates are always appreciated!
Posted By: Feather

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/03/17 11:29 PM

clap

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/04/17 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Alan
Yay!!! I'm glad it went well for you!! Seems like they are coming along well!! Pictures and updates are always appreciated!

:agreed:

dance

Re: New Glider Mom - 06/04/17 03:40 PM

Woo Hoooo!!! :rock: :lshower:
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL