GliderCENTRAL

Daytime bonding

Posted By: haleysbaby

Daytime bonding - 04/19/14 01:22 PM

My work schedule: 8am-12pm then (roughly) 5:00pm- 9:00pm

My glider schedule: In the mornings around 6:30 I get Avi out, feed him his morning 'treats' then let him be on me until he shows me he's sleepy (which doesn't take very long) Then I go to work for the morning. I get home in the afternoon and take him out for some daytime bonding time which entails him sleeping in my pocket or hand. Then when I'm off work at night, I feed him around 9:45 and we play.

My concern is that during that daytime bonding, he is not sleeping enough or am I interrupting his schedule? Because sometimes I will have to move him or he will wake up and see what's going on then go back to sleep. Would he benefit from just being left alone ?(i.e. I put him in my pocket and don't mess with him at all just let him sleep) It's just difficult when he sleeps in my hand because sometimes I do need two hands hahah. Some of what prompted my concern was because I would feed him (@ 9:45 pm), he would eat, be hyper for 5 or so minutes then be sleepy again and I was confused because I thought he would be awake and ready to go. However, I have read (especially because he's just a little joey) they do sometimes eat, play, sleep, repeat.
BUT I just want some input on whether or not that daytime bonding could be making him sleepy or what other gliders do during daytime bonding (like waking up etc.)
Posted By: Soren

Re: Daytime bonding - 04/19/14 08:17 PM

I've only had my joey's a week but mine do the eat, play for few minutes, sleep thing as well. However I've discovered if I turn all the lights off, including the lamp, they come right out and start playing. And they play alllll night until I turn the lamp on in the morning around 8:00am. They'd probably keep playing if I left it off. I leave my laptop on so there's a little bit of light for me to see, but that's it.
Posted By: Kesha

Re: Daytime bonding - 04/20/14 03:33 AM

Yes, they usually only come out at night. Keep them in a room that has a window or you will need to act like the sun.
They need to be able to differentiate the daytime from night time in order to be healthy and well adjusted. They will bond with you during the day. You can keep them in your pocket while you walk around the house or sit to watch t.v. They will be able to get use to your scent.
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Daytime bonding - 04/21/14 02:48 PM

It really depends on you and your glider and it's something only you can determine. It is normal for them to get up for a little bit and then go take a nap. They do this throughout the night.

I used to take my gliders with me every day, but I realized that it was disturbing them too much, so now they stay home in their cage during the day.

If you feel like he's being woken up a lot, it may be better to leave him in his cage.
Posted By: Lisette

Re: Daytime bonding - 04/21/14 04:37 PM

Waking him up during the day "shouldn't" bother him much, but that doesn't mean it won't. Some gliders do wake up sometimes during the day to groom, snack, even play for short periods of time, while others will pretty much sleep solidly through the day. Also, some sleep more heavily than other, some are more bothered by movements than others, it really varies.

If it was me, I would try hanging out with him a couple afternoons out of the week and see if/how it affects him in the evenings compared to the days I leave him be. Maybe it doesn't affect him at all and he just likes to get up, get a bite and nap again for a bit before play time. Maybe it is disruptive to him and he's trying to catch up on lost sleep. Maybe it's something completely different. Gliders will also sometimes change their routines abruptly or gradually so it could just be a phase he's in. Lastly, if you're still worried about it, try just hanging out for shorter periods of time in the afternoons and maybe not every day.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL