GliderCENTRAL

I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O

Posted By: Leila

I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 01:23 AM

I adopted Sassy and Sally almost two years ago. Yesterday I was watching them in their cage when I saw Sassy has a wart/skin tag this on her lower abdominal area. I Googled it and I see nothing about sugar gliders getting warts or skin tags! I did notice that the pictures do look a lot like the mature males! She is acting completely normal. Could it be possible for my girl to be a boy?? She doesn't have the bald spots.

I am very confused!
Posted By: Berg

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 01:34 AM

Without a photo it's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like Sassy may be a Sam. grin He may have had a "pom on" neuter where the testicles are removed but the pom is left.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 01:36 AM

It's very possible that it could be a neutered male with a 'pom on'. That is where they remove the testes and leave the scrotum. It would resemble a deflated balloon.

Maybe this photo will help you out:

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 05:15 AM

It isn't furry, though. It looks exactly like a skin tag.
Posted By: Srlb

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 11:56 AM

If it looks like a skin tag, it may be your female has part of her pouch inverted which is common when they are cleaning the pouch. If it is a soft pink it should fix itself, if it looks red or inflamed/irritated, you need to take her in and have a pouch swab done to rule out a pouch infection.

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 06:58 PM

:agreed:
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Leila
Could it be possible for my girl to be a boy?? She doesn't have the bald spots.

When I got Zoey I was told she was a boy, I happened to be grooming her, looked at her belly and there was a pouch! i was pretty surprised to say the least. She had bald spots, but I think they were from stress/over grooming. You should probably consult a vet like Srlb and GliderNursery suggested. wink

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/04/14 11:49 PM

It is very possible that what is sticking out is one of her teats. That would look exactly like a skin tag. But as Peggy said, if its red, inflamed, or has an odor, then a vet visit is needed. wink

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/05/14 12:18 AM

Thank you all so much for replying! It actually does look like the inverted pouch. It is not red or inflamed so I'm not too concerned. If it changes at all I will be taking her to the vet! =)

Re: I think my sugar glider is a boy?! =O - 09/05/14 12:59 AM

thumb
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL