GliderCENTRAL

Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider

Posted By: TiaNSuggies

Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 03:08 AM

Hi there.

About a month ago I bought an 8 month old male sugar glider from a licensed pet store. I've had sugar gliders before, so I went purely on the bald spot on his head. When I handled him 24 hours later, I saw no scrotum or pom, she also has a pouch. Okay so he's a she. No problem.

Well now I'm working on potty training and her genitalia came out. So I called the vet and explained the whole thing and that I saw 2 genitaliaes. He said he's never heard if such a thing. Actually to be accurate when I asked about pregnancy, he said, well obviously if she has male parts he can't get pregnant. Not sure he is aware of the meaning of hermaphroditie. So I googled it and although rare, it does happen.

So my question is, if housed with an unfixed male, can she get pregnant?

**After further investigation, I felt a bump in her pouch, very small like a teenie tiny worm. Maybe I'm just paranoid. So, if she is pregnant, do I take her to the vet and abort?

If not, I can get our male fixed, but will they fight because he sees her as an intact male?

Also, as far as adding her to a small colony, wouldn't I need to know if she identifies more as male or female? Otherwise, I can't imagine she will have a very happy life with both sexes. But even housed with all females, would she be able to impregnate the females?**

Should I have an ex ray done to see if her testes are stuck inside her body?

Are there any health concerns I should be aware of?

**i posted this in 2 different areas, hope that's not against the rules**
Posted By: Feather

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 03:30 AM

I have found a couple posts in the archives about Hermaphrodites here are the links for them: Hermaphrodites in Sugar Gliders? and Deuce, a special boy (hermaphrodite)

Hopefully someone with experience will come along and post.

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 02:40 PM

Thank you, from what I'm understanding, they have a much shorter life. Do we know how long Deuce lived?

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 03:25 PM

Sadly I don't know if Deuce is alive or who may have have him, Karin passed away 17 months ago and I don't know who all has her gliders.

Hopefully, someone will read this post and know who has Deuce. I only know where Bliss and her last son is and I have Tucker.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 03:28 PM

Deuce's original owner passed away after a long battle with cancer in late May last year, and Deuce was placed with someone else before she became very ill. I cannot remember who has him, but I believe he is still living.

Someone may know who he is with or if I am incorrect with my information that he is still living.

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 03:41 PM

Wait... Deuce had babies?

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 04:58 PM

No, Deuce doesn't have babies that I know of, Bliss and her son are mother and brother to my Tucker and were also Karin's gliders.

I have contacted Alice to see if she knows who has Deuce and she is checking around.

Hopefully we can get some answers for you.

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 05:20 PM

Thank you all!

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 07:56 PM

I just called Dr. David M Brust! For any of you who watch his youtube videos you know what a HUGE. deal it is that he is calling lil ole me! I'll let y'all know what he says!
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 08:17 PM

Most are not a fan of his videos. Some of them have at least been pulled due to the bad info/advice they were giving out.

However, I have heard that he is a good vet. Just wish his videos portrayed more of that skill/knowledge. smirk

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/22/14 08:50 PM

Well, I like most of his videos, though I don't agree with his view on diet or handling. Anyway, he said he hasn't run into this either. He had me send a picture of her bald spot on her head, her scent gland on her chest and her pouch, which just happened to also show her penis because she was upset. I hope to get some answers soon. Most importantly he said this should not affect her life span. That's more in cats and dogs so YAY!
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/23/14 01:40 PM

Janie has Deuce. Pandora is Deuce's sister and she was fine. Deuce is still alive and well and I believe Karins wishes were for Deuce to be sent off for a full necropsy and histopath on his passing.
Posted By: Janie

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/23/14 02:36 PM

I do have deuce. We refer to him as a him because he displays more male traits and has a huge bald spot. His pouch is very small his male parts are non functional. My vet has pulled blood twice and everything looked good. My vet has also done an ultrasound on him that really didn't reveal a lot. He has thinning fur on his tail. Other than that he is completely healthy and normal acting. I believe from what Karin told us that he is around 5 years old now. He is due for another exam and blood draw in December.

Karin told us originally she planned to have a necropsy done when the time came however since we were taking him and his cagemates in that whatever we decided to do in terms of their care was up to us and she would be fine with whatever decisions we make. We don't know what we will do when faced with those decisions.... if we do have a necrospy done it will be by Dr Mcgee in Memphis and I will allow his records to be shared with other vets. Hopefully I have many more years before we need to deal with that thou. Our vet expects a normal lifespan =)
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/23/14 04:39 PM

Janie, thank you for coming in and commenting.

By the way, his birthday is 8-23-2008 wink
Posted By: Janie

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/23/14 06:41 PM

Thank you very much Peggy!!! Tessa and deuce are the only gliders we have that we did not have oop dates for. I will have his medical records updated with that info.

Re: Hermaphrodite Sugar Glider - 10/24/14 05:48 PM

Wow, thank you so much for this information! Janie, I really appreciate you coming in and letting me know!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL