GliderCENTRAL

training to stay on shoulder

Posted By: SugarBean

training to stay on shoulder - 11/03/14 02:58 AM

Is it possible to train a glider to stay on your shoulder? if so, how? And I know this is totally off_topic but how do you upload photos for a profile pic?
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: training to stay on shoulder - 11/03/14 04:30 AM

Some gliders might stay on your shoulder, but most cannot be trusted to do so. Your glider needs to trust you completely for it to want to stay on your shoulder.

Most gliders will want to crawl under your clothing or into a pocket to be out of the light during the day time. A bonding pouch is a good way to carry your glider safely. In the evening when gliders are awake and active it would be very difficult to get them to stay on your shoulder.

I have one that will stay with me - but only as long as I am walking from the cage to our play area. If I stop along the way she just wants to jump off and explore.
Posted By: SugarBean

Re: training to stay on shoulder - 11/03/14 04:15 PM

ok thanks smile
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: training to stay on shoulder - 11/05/14 12:40 AM

To get a glider to stay in a location that you want, you have to be very diligent and consistent to keep them there. All you do is if they move off of your shoulder, gently guide them back. If they move completely off, them put them back.

I was able to accomplish this with a joey that was going to go to a friend that had the inability to reach their back. I trained the glider to stay on my chest and shoulders. If she moved past the center of the shoulder, I would guide her back to where she was allowed. This worked very well, and only twice did she ever crawl onto my back. And when she did, she peed on me and ran right back onto my chest where she belonged.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: training to stay on shoulder - 11/05/14 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: SugarBean
off_topic but how do you upload photos for a profile pic?

You need to click on the arrow next to "My Stuff" and then click on "Edit Profile". Toward the bottom is the avatar (profile picture) section.
Posted By: Kesha

Re: training to stay on shoulder - 11/08/14 04:11 AM

Im able to train my gliders to sit on my leg briefly. I feed them mealworms or peeled green seedless grapes and they will hang out witj me.
Posted By: Kesha

Re: training to stay on shoulder - 11/08/14 04:15 AM

I agree. During the day they will try to hide in your pocket or under my hood when im sitting reading a book during play time. They are curious animals and they love to explore.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: training to stay on shoulder - 11/09/14 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
To get a glider to stay in a location that you want, you have to be very diligent and consistent to keep them there. All you do is if they move off of your shoulder, gently guide them back. If they move completely off, them put them back.

I was able to accomplish this with a joey that was going to go to a friend that had the inability to reach their back. I trained the glider to stay on my chest and shoulders. If she moved past the center of the shoulder, I would guide her back to where she was allowed. This worked very well, and only twice did she ever crawl onto my back. And when she did, she peed on me and ran right back onto my chest where she belonged.

This worked for me as well.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL