GliderCENTRAL

Deciphering between a real nip and a scrape..

Posted By: condescomputers

Deciphering between a real nip and a scrape.. - 06/23/15 09:10 PM

I am new to have sugar gliders as pets. A couple years back I worked at an exotic pet store, and had sugar gliders. I mainly dealt with the snakes at that time, but had enough experience with sugar gliders that I knew eventually I would want at least one. Recently I purchased a glider. He is 12 weeks OOP

Sometimes I get an obvious nip from my glider, usually when I goto take him out of his pouch, but sometimes I can feel his teeth on my skin and its not a bite. I read that scraping has to do with eating sap from trees as that is how they get the sap. I believe the scraping is being caused by the glider liking the soap I use to wash my hand before I handle him.

How can I tell for sure if it is a weak nip or a scrape? Does scraping usually happen after they lick you? Should I be discouraging scraping?

I have been able to find alot of information on biting, but not so much when it comes to scraping.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Deciphering between a real nip and a scrape.. - 06/23/15 09:31 PM

A lot of times scraping is associated with grooming when they do it to humans. It's similar to nipping, but they open their mouths much wider and rake their bottom teeth against your skin in an upward motion.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Deciphering between a real nip and a scrape.. - 06/23/15 11:17 PM

If your soap has a yummy smell, he may be going after it. I don't correct for scraping, it's just part of it.

And,
:welcomegc:
Posted By: Feather

Re: Deciphering between a real nip and a scrape.. - 06/24/15 12:46 AM

You can try gently hissing at him and/or gently blowing on him to deter the rough grooming and nips.
Posted By: condescomputers

Re: Deciphering between a real nip and a scrape.. - 06/24/15 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe
A lot of times scraping is associated with grooming when they do it to humans. It's similar to nipping, but they open their mouths much wider and rake their bottom teeth against your skin in an upward motion.

OK, Thanks for that information. I just need to notice if he is using his bottom teeth or not. To everyone else thanks for the warm welcome, I hope to learn alot.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Deciphering between a real nip and a scrape.. - 06/24/15 02:33 PM

You're welcome! That's just my experience though, others may have a different answer.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL