GliderCENTRAL

Coprophagia

Posted By: MomoShiva

Coprophagia - 11/12/15 11:52 PM

First of all I hope I've started this thread on the right forum, I can't decide whether it should go in the nutrition forum or in this one.

So I've never seen my gliders doing this until I started a nebulizer treatment on my gliders.

When I wake them up for their treatment (treatment is every 12 hours each day) they go potty inside the plastic tub where they get their nebulization.

I've noticed that Momo (male) will eat his faeces; he can't do this in his cage as poop falls down to the tray ( maybe this is why I've never seen this before)

I was wondering if he's lacking something in his diet or if he has problems digesting something.

They're both on Critterlove plus and I'm using the salad mixture 1. But I can't get them to eat Bok choy, celery,kale, parsley, cilantro or dandelion greens.

I don't know if this is the reason behind this behaviour but eitherway I would really like them to eat those vegies. I have tried everything and nothing works. I have been worried about this over a year now and had no choice but to post here.

Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks in advance.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Coprophagia - 11/13/15 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: MomoShiva
First of all I hope I've started this thread on the right forum, I can't decide whether it should go in the nutrition forum or in this one.

So I've never seen my gliders doing this until I started a nebulizer treatment on my gliders.

When I wake them up for their treatment (treatment is every 12 hours each day) they go potty inside the plastic tub where they get their nebulization.

I've noticed that Momo (male) will eat his faeces; he can't do this in his cage as poop falls down to the tray ( maybe this is why I've never seen this before)

I was wondering if he's lacking something in his diet or if he has problems digesting something.

They're both on Critterlove plus and I'm using the salad mixture 1. But I can't get them to eat Bok choy, celery,kale, parsley, cilantro or dandelion greens.

I don't know if this is the reason behind this behaviour but eitherway I would really like them to eat those vegies. I have tried everything and nothing works. I have been worried about this over a year now and had no choice but to post here.

Any suggestions are more than welcome, thanks in advance.

I have not looked back through your posts to see if there is an explanation for why you are doing the nebulizer treatment. Is this something your vet is having you do for an illness?

They should be getting all their nutritional requirements from what you are feeding them, so unless they are leaving large amounts of food uneaten, you shouldn't worry.

Gliders need time when they wake to poop/pee, and then they are usually pretty much ready for something to eat. Being confined in the nebulizer may have something to do with the behavior. I'm really not sure.

You might want to try letting them have bathroom time and a snack prior to going in the nebulizer if that is possible.

Re: Coprophagia - 11/13/15 12:53 AM

You're right sorry, they had some kind of respiratory infection and my vet suggested it. They're pretty much clear but i was told to continue for a while just to be safe.

They eat the normal 2 tbsp it's just they'll always leave those veggies untouched and I thought they might be missing that part of the diet.

I let them go potty and have a treat/fruit before they go inside the tub but I can only do this when they're awake and out of the pouch.
When it comes to their morning treatment they won't pee/poo until they've been inside the tub for a while, otherwise they'll just stay inside their pouch or my shirt.

What makes me wonder is that only Momo will do this while the girl ignores any poop I forget to remove.

Thank you very much
Posted By: Feather

Re: Coprophagia - 11/13/15 08:25 PM

You can give them some yogurt, just make sure there is no artificial sweeteners in it.

He may have an unbalanced gut flora and is eating his poop or the other gliders poop to get the good bacteria back into his digestive system.

Your guys were on antibiotics and that will throw of the good bacteria in their digestive system.

Re: Coprophagia - 11/14/15 12:02 AM

Thank you that is a great idea! I was so focused on the nutrient deficiency that I didn't realize this, it's great to have this forum.

It makes sense, the poor guys have been on so many antibiotics until finally a culture was suggested that it's a miracle they haven't had any hint of diarrhea or discomfort.

I'll definitely look into that. Thanks again
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL