GliderCENTRAL

Vocal Communication

Posted By: TwoDog

Vocal Communication - 04/01/16 04:02 PM

Recently marine biologists proved that cetaceans use vocal speech communication, and further, address each other by name when doing so.
It was a huge revelation and a big win for animal rights--especially cetacean rights, all over the world.

These fuzzballs are at least as smart as my border collies, so it's a cinch that their language is more than just a few sounds. In context with scent or physical or visual queues, it could be really complex...
Or not...
Harley has been talking to the washing machine. I don't know what they are talking about. The belt on the agitator has developed a squeak that sounds just like a glider barking. Apparently so much so, it has her fooled. She barks back and forth with it for the whole cycle.
Recorded glider sounds on the computer get her going too. Don't know what they are saying buy they are clearly responding to it.
Posted By: Takaia

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/01/16 11:25 PM

rotfl
Posted By: Feather

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/02/16 12:38 AM

Well, I have 5 parrots and they imitate the gliders bark so well they can get everyone barking here.

Never a dull moment!

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/02/16 02:50 PM

Five parrots too? Are you a secret zookeeper? :-) That's a lot of luvin'! What kinds of parrots do you have?

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/02/16 05:05 PM

No, not a secret zookeeper. This all came after my parents died. I was their care giver and mom was an adamant about no pets in the house.

Well caregiver + no one to tell me I can't have them in the house = gliders and parrots.

Mom's ashes roll over every time I bring another animal in the house. Muwahahahahahahahaha
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/03/16 01:27 PM

:roflmao2:

Feather, reminds me when I was a kid! Mom barely allowed tropical fish, then a water turtle, then a couple of hamsters... She absolutely put her foot down on a snake... Funny thing was as I had children, They had tropical fish, hamsters gerbils, rabbits, turtles and an iguana. I put my footdown when it came to snakes too! I like them, but I won't have them as a pet. Now my son has one... off_topic Sorry!

My gliders are very vocal too.

I have learned the "scared" crab, "don't disturb me !" crab, "don't put me back in the cage can I stay with you a little longer?" Crab and the " don't sneak up behind me!" crab.

Their barking I have learned the "Watch dog" , "We want attention/ mealie", and " I'm hiding can you find me ?"( Fiona loves this game), and last but not least " We are bored..." bark...

That is from listening and trying to figure them out for a year and a half... Still learning... it has been a wonderful experience.

And yes, they are very smart. The girls know when I'm not feeling well, and "we" (gliders ) are learning not to panic in emergency situations and that the Mommy and Daddy tree will keep us safe...

Ok, I'm editing because I had to google what cetacean was... basically whales and dolphins... My brain was thinking smaller creatures like molluscs. Don't know why. Lol!

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/03/16 04:29 PM

I would love to add a bird or two to the menagerie, at some point.
Have you ever had problems mixing birds and gliders?
I have heard that gliders will eat small birds, and are terrified of large ones.

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/03/16 04:32 PM

I like snakes, but they don't eat kibble. They would starve in my house as I am the one dressing the little white mice up like Stuart Little!
Posted By: SpoiledSehba

Re: Vocal Communication - 04/24/16 05:06 PM

Sehba (seven month old female) will do a quick bark and then one hiss to talk to me. I will return her sound and she does it again. She will continue to do it until I walk to her cage where she jumps on the door waiting for me to play with her. It has become almost a nightly conversation for us.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL