GliderCENTRAL

Color Variations (?)

Posted By: BarkingSquad

Color Variations (?) - 08/19/16 02:48 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and I'm looking forward for any kind of help about gliders.

So, I'm from Indonesia, and I have one pair of adult gliders, and they both are classic grey. I've been doing some research about how many color variations of gliders.

It's quite confusing for awhile to understand it, and so far i've been knowing some of color variations of gliders, which is classic grey, white face, leucistic, piebald, albino, and some others.

Two weeks ago, my friend bought sugar glider from Papua Nugini, and what surprised me that he said the gliders color are odd. I've decided to ask about it on local forums, and they said that my friend's gliders are caramel type. My question is does it (sugar glider caramel) really exist? I mean is it sugar glider or different species ?

Sorry for my bad english, and thank you so much in advance.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Color Variations (?) - 08/19/16 05:54 AM

Yes, the Caramel Gliders are real - and they are a different species from the classic grey gliders.

Caramel gliders are generally a little larger and are said to be very mellow calm gliders.

They should never be allowed to breed with classic grey gliders. It has been found that although they can be bred, the result is often a problem with the male joeys being sterile. The female joeys can carry this trait and pass it on to their own male joeys.

This was a problem here in the US with one family line of Mosaic Gliders and it has taken generations of careful breeding to reduce this health issue in the glider population.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Color Variations (?) - 08/20/16 12:43 AM

I agree with what Candy told you. Personally one of my favorite colors is the classic grey variation called Black Beauty.
Posted By: BarkingSquad

Re: Color Variations (?) - 08/20/16 10:27 AM

Thanks for the reply. At least it's solve one of my problems. I have similar problems with my other Suggies (related to color variations and face texture), but maybe i'll post it on another time. thanks guys.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL