GliderCENTRAL

Sibling biting

Posted By: LoriJ

Sibling biting - 02/06/17 04:05 AM

Hello, I am new to the group and have searched many places looking for answers for my problem. We got girl sibling joeys about 6 months ago. They are in the same pouch and generally get along, but I have one sibling who continuously bites the end of the other's tail. The one who is getting bit keeps her tail curled up almost all of the time. I don't know if I should separate them or keep them together. I did try putting 2 pouches in the cage so that the one could escape from the other when she wanted some "alone time", but that doesn't seem to work either.
Thank you for any ideas or suggestions!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Sibling biting - 02/06/17 07:23 AM

Is this happening while they are eating?

What are they doing when the one starts biting the other one?

Re: Sibling biting - 02/06/17 02:46 PM

Hi Kimberley,
No, it is all the time. She will just be sitting there and sister will grab the end of her tail and chomp. It is ongoing.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Sibling biting - 02/06/17 05:28 PM

Can you see any damage at this point?

Re: Sibling biting - 02/06/17 06:06 PM

The very end of her tail is scabbed but she does not mess with it (grooming). If I could just get her sister to leave her alone, it could heal. I don't want to take her away from her sister, but I don't want her sister bullying her either.

Re: Sibling biting - 02/06/17 06:14 PM

Well if the one won't leave the other alone, you may have to separate them or you could end up with a tail amputation.

Hang another pouch in the cage and see if they sleep apart.

Keep us posted.

Re: Sibling biting - 02/06/17 06:28 PM

I have thought about putting a piece of clear plexiglass in their cage so that they can see each other and hear each other but not touch each other.

Re: Sibling biting - 02/07/17 04:36 AM

You could try that.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL