GliderCENTRAL

Glider Attack

Posted By: alicat

Glider Attack - 12/28/19 07:10 PM

Hi everyone,

Two nights ago one of my gliders (Willow) abruptly began attacking the other (Aspen). It was night, and they had recently woken up and came out of the pouch. Nobody was injured. They are the only 2 gliders I have. They have been in the cage together for 1 1/2 years, with never a problem. I have a hunch that Willow is in heat. But is it possible Willow is now rejecting Aspen?

I have them separated, but want to reintroduce them. Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about it? How long should I wait, should I take time and do pouch swapping. I was going to take them to neutral territory to do it (their playroom).

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Glider Attack - 12/30/19 07:52 PM

It is possible one or the other was in heat.

Did you already have their food in the cage?

Were they balled up or just batting at each other?

I think playtime together supervised is a great idea.

Re: Glider Attack - 12/30/19 10:25 PM

Thank you for the reply. I tried getting them together for playtime, and Willow went after her again. I also tried putting them together in the cage while they were still in their pouches. Aspen got up first, ate, then went into the pouch with Willow. They seemed fine. The next thing I know, Willow is attacking again.

Yes, they are balling up. The first time they fought, there wasn't any food in the cage. Is it possible Willow is rejecting Aspen?
Posted By: Feather

Re: Glider Attack - 01/01/20 05:06 PM

Yes, it is possible.

Keep them separate for now and continue swapping pouches. Give them a cooling off period and try again in a few weeks.
Posted By: Ladymagyver

Re: Glider Attack - 01/02/20 02:58 PM

Just be sure to watch their behaviors and try to keep their cages busy with new things to explore. Like a toy box full of ping pong balls and army men. May even want to swap toys once in a while..

Re: Glider Attack - 01/02/20 05:55 PM

Thanks Dawn and Kimberley. I was thinking of swapping their toys back and forth just to keep one another's scent fresh. I have been trying to watch them closely, but since they have been separated, they don't come out of the pouches much at night (at least while I am still awake). What are some of the behaviors I should look out for, and what would I do about them?

I have been thinking of finding them a new home. My health is not good, and I haven't been able to spend as much time with them as I want, and they need. I would like them to be back together though. Do you have any advice on where/how I can find them a new home?

Thanks.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL