GliderCENTRAL

Question about edible flowers

Posted By: Raelea

Question about edible flowers - 04/29/15 03:51 PM

I've read you can offer your gliders edible flowers as a snack or treat as they eat a lot of nectar in the wild. I'm curious, where can I find a list of safe, edible flowers? Can I get flowers from a florist or a grocery story, are they safe (I'm concerned about fertilizers and such)? And how do you offer them? Do you just put the whole flower in the cage or do you cut the head off and place it in the cage?
My too girls are very needy, lol. Anything they can't pull apart or eat doesn't even get looked at. So far the only toy I've been able to find that they pay any attention to (except foraging toys) are linked together straws. I'm looking for ways to keep them occupied otherwise they over groom each other and one of the girls gets a bald spot. I'm trying to change up toys and such every couple days but having something like offering them a flower once a week could go a long way in making us all feel better.
Thanks.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Question about edible flowers - 04/29/15 03:59 PM

Edible Flowers

Hope this helps. grin
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Question about edible flowers - 04/29/15 06:44 PM

Quote:
Can I get flowers from a florist or a grocery story, are they safe

Please do NOT offer flowers from nurserys or grocery stores. It is advised to plant and grow your own so this way you no there are no chemicals associated with them. If you bring a plant home and plant it in your yard, please do not offer any flowers from it for six months. This will allow time for any chemicals to be removed from the plant.

Some stores such as Whole Foods do carry very small packages of edible flowers in the produce section, however they are very seasonal.
Posted By: zanderfever

Re: Question about edible flowers - 04/30/15 08:51 AM

Is there a way to preserve the flowers for long term storage and eating later? A drying method where the Gliders can eat them later on? I understand fresh is always better, but I don't have a way to grow flowers where I live.
Posted By: zanderfever

Re: Question about edible flowers - 04/30/15 08:56 AM

Oh - also found this through Sweet As Suggies - http://nell.moonfruit.com/#/glider-safe-plants/4568510411

Its a list of Glider safe plants, as the URL suggests.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Question about edible flowers - 05/03/15 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: zanderfever
Is there a way to preserve the flowers for long term storage and eating later? A drying method where the Gliders can eat them later on? I understand fresh is always better, but I don't have a way to grow flowers where I live.

Thinking your question through, I would think since fresh flowers have a pretty short shelf life, there probably isn't a way to store them long term for later use.

Drying them would take away everything that makes eating fresh appealing just as it does when you dry fruit.

As Peggy mentioned, Whole Foods offers edible flowers in their produce department, so that might be best to offer as occasional treats dunno
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL