GliderCENTRAL

vet wants me to use 50% protien??

Posted By: Anonymous

vet wants me to use 50% protien?? - 12/10/04 05:25 PM

what are all your opinions on the 50% protien diet?? I'm using the zookeeper and my vet wants me to call her and teller what the % it on the zookeeper diet?? How much protien% is in bml diet does anyone know this stuff???? thanks
Posted By: agilitygliders

Re: vet wants me to use 50% protien?? - 12/10/04 05:32 PM

A 50/50 of fruit/veggies versus protien is really good for breeding gliders and 40% for non breeding gliders.

Re: vet wants me to use 50% protien?? - 12/10/04 06:03 PM

Does your vet mean that the diet should be 50% ACTUAL protein content or that the diet should be made up of 50% protein SOURCE? There's a big difference. It is often recommended that glider diets are about 50% protein SOURCE.

50% actual protein content would be way to high.

I think that BML is somewhere around 12% actual protein content. There are some statistics on it that you could probably find if you did a search, or someone might remember better than I and come along and correct me.

Re: vet wants me to use 50% protien?? - 12/11/04 12:49 AM

[:"blue"] A very capable exotic vet has given her stamp of approval to the SunCoast Diet.....Dr. J. Cianciola. Ernie's point is well taken. There are several different ways of talking about the amount or % of protein and if you aren't comparing apples with apples the discussion is useless. I don't remember what the protein source value for the SunCoast diet is; but think it is significantly less than 50%. I am not sure that I have ever seen an actual number mentioned; but I will take a look at Lisa's web site and see if I can find something.

As to Ernie's question about the protein content in BML, it is approximately as follows:

33% Protein source
15% Protein(dry weight analysis)
04% Protein(% of total weight)

Re: vet wants me to use 50% protien?? - 12/11/04 01:10 AM

Insectivore Fare according to Zoofood's website:

Crude Protein Min. 20.00%
Crude Fat Min. 7.00%
Crude Fiber Max. 6.00%

It can also be interpreted this way:
Calories from Protein: 61%
Calories from Fat: 21%
Calories from Fiber: 18%

The difference between them is moisture, which has no calories.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL