GliderCENTRAL

Best Diet for a fluffy (shhh fat) glider?

Posted By: Anonymous

Best Diet for a fluffy (shhh fat) glider? - 11/17/09 05:19 PM

I have a very fluffy girl. When her mate passed she lost a lot of weight to the point of a healthy weight. At that point I put my girls on bml. Well, she puffed right back up. I ordered some supplies to put them on hpw hoping I can get her to lose some weight. I had a wheel in there, but she never wanted anything to do with it. Any suggestions?

Re: Best Diet for a fluffy (shhh fat) glider? - 11/17/09 05:35 PM

I have heard that the Priscilla Price diet is known for maintaining healthy weights. I myself have used it for almost two years and it worked wonders for my rescue and smaller female who needed to gain a bit of weight but it also kept my bigger male to a healthier weight.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Best Diet for a fluffy (shhh fat) glider? - 11/17/09 05:44 PM

There are a lot of factors that can lead to "fat" gliders. First you need to make sure she is "fat". Have you weighed her? Healthy adult females can range from 90-140 grams. Some more, some less yet still be healthy.

Second. There are things you can do to help her either loose weight or maintain her weight.

A wheel alone, whether used or not, isn't going to be the sole deciding factor on their weight. It helps but not as much as people think.

They need lots of exersize out side the cage as well. They need to really STRETCH out their bodies. Climbing (hand over hand action), gliding, really running around, are all types of beneficial exersize.

Diet, if fed properly, in the proper amounts shouldn't cause a glider to get "fat". How many "treats" are you giving her? Try to limit the treats drastically. Instead of giving candy (like yogies), use part of her daily diet as treats. Take the corn out of her dinner and set it aside. Then feed that corn as a "treat". Don't increase the amount of food she is getting during dinner. This way, she is getting the same amount of dinner she should be getting but she will now think the corn is a treat.

Re: Best Diet for a fluffy (shhh fat) glider? - 11/17/09 05:58 PM

when on the bml, they really didn't get "treats" but I would feed a few small mealies or 2 large mealies with their dinner. I had reduced the amount of the bml mix also. I have a feeling that my smaller female doesn't care for it and my big girl has been taking up the slack. I guess I will try to weigh her. She is so cute, but I just know that weighing her isn't necessary cause well she is just a huge girl. Can't say I have ever seen a pic of a glider that comes even close to her size.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL