GliderCENTRAL

Mix & Match Diet Plan - questions

Posted By: Anonymous

Mix & Match Diet Plan - questions - 12/19/09 08:51 PM

http://www.babylovegliders.com/Diets.html

I found this diet on this web site.

would like everyone's opinion about this diet?

I am always looking for better ways to improve the care for our fur kids and would like to know what you think about this diet? Thanks
Posted By: josefine

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or Bad? - 12/19/09 09:31 PM

sounds pretty good to me,as I am also always trying my hardest to improve their meals.
talk 2 ya L8R
Posted By: Donnarae

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or Bad? - 12/19/09 09:44 PM

It sounds like a good variety. My "kids" would probably like it.

I hesitate to go with any diet that the ingredients are specific brands of anything or too exotic. If I can't find it readily in the local market, that means I'd have to order it online. If substitutions can be made, that's great. I feed HPW now and know all about ordering and shipping charges.
Posted By: CandyOtte

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/20/09 12:56 AM

I found this diet to be more complicated than I like for things to be.

I developed my own Blended Diet which is quick and easy to mix. If you are looking for other diet options you might want to look at this one also

http://gliderkids.com/BLENDED-GLIDER-DIET.html

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/20/09 04:04 PM

Several people have been feeding the Mix N Match diet with good result. At least one person switched to it because her gliders were rejecting both BML and HPW. I haven't gotten into it, but it looks good to me, I consider it another option among many for glider diet, which is good for everyone to have choices.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/20/09 04:14 PM

For the people out there already using this diet,

can you tell me if your gliders have any smell or odors?

I read somewhere that if you are always mixing up the same thing and feeding it on a daily bases

that your gliders will have a musty smell but if you give them a variety of different foods they stay healthy and have hardly any smell at all.

Has anyone found this to be true with this diet?
Posted By: Berg

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/20/09 04:43 PM

I will second OtteMom's suggestion. We have been using her Blended Diet almost since we have had our gliders. There is no odor with our gliders, and they like the diet and the variety of vegetables and fruit. We like because it is relatively easy to prepare and the ingredients are readily available, but you do have to order the HPW powder. As a side benefit (maybe from any good diet) they have very soft coats, much nicer than when we first got them.

We mix up a batch about once a month and we freeze it in ice cube trays. Candy (OtteMom) also has a Diet/Nutrition calculator you can download. It makes it easy to track the Ca/Phosphorus ratio of everything you might want to feed them.

Variety is good for your gliders. The diet you linked to seems to have it.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/21/09 12:19 AM

Have you asked Kris (BabyLoveGliders) any questions you have about it? It is her diet. dunno
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/21/09 02:03 AM

i think it sounds like a pretty good diet.

regards,
nancy in detroit

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/27/09 07:02 PM

Thank you sugarlope, I sent her a pm asking some? smile

Thanks everyone smile

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 04:07 PM

I am considering switching over to this diet but need more information about it first.

We are using the HPW now but I really like the idea of this diet

it seems more natural and offers a great variety of foods for them so they are not always eating the same thing day to day.

How many people are using this diet?

How long have you been using this diet?

When did this diet start? When did kris post this as an option for us to use?

Are there any links talking about this diet?

How active are your fur kids on this diet?

How healthy are your fur kids with this diet?

Do your fur kids have any smell or odors with this diet?

Thank you for your help and time with these ? I have. smile

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 09:31 PM

Where is everyone????????

I sent out a PM to Kris asking some questions but have not herd back yet, meanwhile I thought I would be able to get some good input from people already using this diet and what they thought.

I am wondering now if there are not that many people using this?

Thanks to everyone who has responed. I hope someone can show up on this and shine some light on this topic. smile
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 10:25 PM

I dont have any answers to your questions, but I will try to pass the word on so she can get it and know you are asking...
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 10:32 PM

I know that Kris researched it TONS, and worked very closely with her exotics vet. I know that some of the ingredients have been shown to have healing effects, and health benefits.

I haven't tried it, because I simply don't have the money to order all the ingredients at this time. However, I did discuss it a bit with Kris, and I think it is a very interesting diet.

It isn't "proven" - but fewer people seem to give a darn about that anymore. I think even the "proven" diets aren't that proven. We are talking about a history that goes back roughly 10 years. It is difficult for anything much to be "proven." But - research and common sense goes a long way in my book.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 11:32 PM

ngs,
like i stated before i think it sounds like a good diet.
some of the proven diets contain to much honey, wambarro?(spelling) powder that is soy based that i believe cause alot of problems in gliders which has been talked abt. lately. personally i use the suncoast diet and if i ever change it would be a diet like that one.

regards and a happy new year to everyone.
nancy in detroit

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 11:42 PM

Quote:
some of the proven diets contain to much honey, wambarro?(spelling) powder that is soy based that i believe cause alot of problems in gliders which has been talked abt. lately.

This is untrue and NO documentation to back this claim up. If I am wrong Nancy, please share with me. However, this is exactly how all the glider myths start. So please, since I have been feeding my gliders HPW going on six years with NO ill side effects, please share with me these problems you talk of with proof to back it up, after all if it is unsafe, I surely do not want to feed it to my glider.

Much like years ago and still today people will say BML is unsafe for gliders due to the honey and the reptile calcium and vitamins it uses...nobody has shown me proof of that yet neither...

I also do not think people will find any issues with Kris's diet, and we really wont know for about 3-5 years for things to start showing up.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 11:48 PM

ngs,
like i stated before i think it sounds like a good diet.
some of the proven diets contain to much honey, wambarro?(spelling) powder that is soy based that i believe cause alot of problems in gliders which has been talked abt. lately. personally i use the suncoast diet and if i ever change it would be a diet like that one.

regards and a happy new year to everyone.
nancy in detroit

can you give me the links where this is talked about?

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/28/09 11:57 PM

Peggy

Do you know when Kris offered or started this diet as another option for gliders? Thanks

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/29/09 12:09 AM

Im not exactly sure. But I did post over on SGN that you were looking for her and had some questions.
She is probably out enjoying her family for the holidays...then again, my brother doesnt live to far off from where she does and I know he is buried in snow...so maybe that is why she hasnt been able to get on to answer you as of yet.

Sorry I cant be of more help.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/29/09 12:15 AM

scrib,
there have been a few breeders on here that fed hpw and
their gliders were sick and the vet said it was diet
related. these were not to long ago.
personally, i do not like soy because if taken to long
it causes cancer and alot of other problems, google soy
and their side effects.
this is my personal belief.

ngs, i dont know how to give links, but look in the past health and hygiene articles.

regards,
nancy in detroit

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/29/09 12:19 AM

ok,thanks smile

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/29/09 12:27 AM

The few breeders that had issues was not proven to be diet related...their gliders had other illnesses which can also lead to a bad ca;p ratio.

When talking about Soy you need to know what type of soy and how it is being digested...humans do not digest their food the same way animals do.

That is why it is important to have documented proof instead of just stating what one believes. Hard to do, but it is the path that we must learn to get on and stay on if we are ever going to find TRUE answers. Ya know?

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or Bad? - 12/29/09 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: NGS

I found this diet on this web site.

would like everyone's opinion about this diet?

I am always looking for better ways to improve the care for our fur kids and would like to know what you think about this diet? Thanks

Since she has used this diet for quite awhile and is happy with the health of her gliders, if it sounds like something you might like, try it. Gliders have their own particular scent regardless of their food, but it is true that certain diets can cause them to have more of a "fragrance". This is not a diet that would do so. Try it if you want.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or Bad? - 12/29/09 03:10 AM

Kris was still working out the ingredients and trying to get the ratios balanced in September. She asked me to help double check her calculations using my diet Calculator. She made some changes to the diet at that time.

There are probably relatively few people using her diet because it has only been posted for 4 months.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or Bad? - 12/29/09 03:34 AM

I was wondering how long it had been around so thank you for letting me know. I appreciate everyones help with this. smile
Posted By: StitchsMom

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/29/09 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: hwh4ev
there have been a few breeders on here that fed hpw and their gliders were sick and the vet said it was diet related

Who are these breeders? Where is the vet documentation? Were these people feeding the diet correctly?

I feed HPW and my vet thinks my gliders are the picture of health. dunno
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/29/09 05:47 PM

I don't feed HPW but I do feed a Wambaroo High Protien Suppliment based diet. I have almost as long as Peggy has fed HPW. I have a house full of healthy gorgous gliders. I've seen the Wambaroo help bring gliders back from death's door. If the soy in the Wambaroo was an issue, there would be a great number of ill gliders by now as so many use the wambaroo based diets. I'm just not seeing ANY evidence at all about wambaroo diet related illnesses. Just the opposite, gorgous, healthy gliders.

As for Kris's diet. I do know of one person that feeds it. I've seen it in the cages being fed and I wouldn't choose that diet for my gliders simply because of the looks of it. It is all blended together and offers little in the way of "stimulation" to the gliders. Most of my gliders like food they can grab ahold of and run to their favorite place to eat. I just don't see that happening with Kris's diet.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/30/09 02:37 PM

I was not aware that it has to be all mushy with no chucks for stimulation. So I went back and read it again and this is what it says for mixing.

"start adding fruits and veggies. Use different settings to get different textures or
HAND CHOP SOME ITEMS, LIQUEFY OTHERS. Add papaya, collards and your chosen add’l fruit and veggies"

This to me means, mix it how you want as far as how big or small you want the food pieces to be.
If you want the food to be chunky so the gliders have more stimulation then you just make it that way.

Which that part of this diet would be how others fix the HPW as well. Some blend more and others choose to cut the food up by hand and mix it in with the blended liqued HPW part or some cut it up by hand put the food separate then put the blended liqued on top of veggies and some put the blended HPW on the side of the dish or in a dish of its own.

From what I am getting she is giving you the option to make that choice for your glider kids.
If your glider kids love it chunky go with chunky if your glider kids like it all mushy then make it mushy. If your glider kids want their food hand chopped and separate with the mushy on top or to the side of their plate then make it that way or if they want everything in separate bowels then do it that way.

and from what I see in her picks her glider kids must like it all mixed up.

If I am reading this wrong or getting it wrong please let me know. smile

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/30/09 03:06 PM

stitchsmom and scrib,
i was referring to gueritta and another breeder who posted
not long ago abt. losing one of her joeys, both of their
vets said it was diet related.
if you check back you will see the postings.

regards,
nancy in detroit
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/30/09 03:09 PM

I feed HPW. I have used only this diet for the almost 2 years I have had gliders. I don't have as much experience as Dancing or Peggy, but I do feel HPW is a good diet. MY gliders are all healthy, happy & active. I do have several intact males, but don't find the odor to be over bearing at all. I do believe this diet provides very well for them along with the fruits, veggies & yogurt I feed. I do not give them the same thing every night. I do offer a variety such as frozen mixed veggies one night, fresh or frozen fruits the next and then a fruit Yoplait yogurt the next. I do not puree any of this as my gliders do seem to like to be able to hold it in their hands and eat. I do not thaw it out before serving either. It does thaw rather quickly on it's own. Some of the favorites here include corn, peas, cantelope and apple. I also use dried tropical fruits & mealies for treats. This has worked out very well for my crew. I hope it helps in your decision making.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/30/09 03:18 PM

Hi gldierma, thanks I believe that HPW is a good diet and I am currently using HPW and have been for a while. I have recently ran into an issue with my little girl being to picky so started looking at more diets out there that may work out better for her. So I am asking questions about this new diet.

I was not aware that it has to be all mushy with no chucks for stimulation. So I went back and read it again and this is what it says for mixing.

"start adding fruits and veggies. Use different settings to get different textures or
HAND CHOP SOME ITEMS, LIQUEFY OTHERS. Add papaya, collards and your chosen add’l fruit and veggies"

This to me means, mix it how you want as far as how big or small you want the food pieces to be.
If you want the food to be chunky so the gliders have more stimulation then you just make it that way.

Which that part of this diet would be how others fix the HPW as well. Some blend more and others choose to cut the food up by hand and mix it in with the blended liqued HPW part or some cut it up by hand put the food separate then put the blended liqued on top of veggies and some put the blended HPW on the side of the dish or in a dish of its own.

From what I am getting she is giving you the option to make that choice for your glider kids.
If your glider kids love it chunky go with chunky if your glider kids like it all mushy then make it mushy. If your glider kids want their food hand chopped and separate with the mushy on top or to the side of their plate then make it that way or if they want everything in separate bowels then do it that way.

and from what I see in her picks her glider kids must like it all mixed up.

If I am reading this wrong or getting it wrong please let me know.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/30/09 03:48 PM

Quote:
stitchsmom and scrib,

If you look back on Gueritta, you will see she had MANY health issues going on at the time and the breeder that lost her joey, I believe you are speaking of Reeny (Not sure though but the only one I can think of) her glider had a staph infection inside of her pouch.

ANY kind of illness will automatically cause the animals body to start sucking vitamins and calcium out.

In order to find out if a glider has a calcium problem from the diet itself, you must take a HEALTHY glider in for testing and have the ca;p levels tested at that point.

EVERY glider I have taken in has always been good on the ca;p ratio part. I believe Kris and TGI were doing some kind of initial study for diets to try to get a grant for further studies, but none of the initial results from the blood work their 15(?) people did was posted for us.

NGS, sorry about that up there, but wanted to make it clear as I dont want anyone being in a panic and blaming an illness on diets when there is no need for it.

Back to your question, you said your glider is becoming picky with the HPW diet? What part of the diet is she being picky with?

Also, I cant answer your questions about Kris's diet as I have not spoken with her about it, nor researched it at all. But I would say yes, I read it the same way as you. You can leave some chunky and some mushy.

She must be out of town for the Holidays, but as soon as she sees this she will post.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/30/09 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hwh4ev
stitchsmom and scrib,

regards,
nancy in detroit

As it was pointed out earlier in this thread, illness and parasites can both have a negative effect on diet. And anyone can say that a vet said, but without documentation from the vet stating as much, there is NO proof what so ever that this indeed was the case.

NGS,
I encourage you to research whatever diet you choose to feed, I think it's great that we now are being more proactive in our gliders health and well being.

The diet you are inquiring about, BLG's diet, is fairly new so that is why there isn't alot of folks feeding it. Kris put alot of research into a diet for her gliders and she was gracious to share with us.

If you like the ingredients and feel comfortable with it to feed your gliders, then by all means give it a try. Leaving some chunks, pureeing some, won't change the ratios of what is included. It is just your or should I say, your gliders, personal preference.
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/30/09 04:06 PM

A diet related health issue, does not necessarily mean the diet itself is bad. There can be many other factors that influence the effectiveness of the diet. If there is already an existing condition that has an effect on how certain vitamins & minerals are used, it will show as a deficeincy. This does not mean that the diet is bad. It's how it is being used in the body. I hope this makes sense. It's not always clear that people are following the diet as it was intended, either.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/31/09 12:30 AM

Hi Peggy, its all ok. This is a place to discuss and figure out things not to worry or be sorry. smile

My boy is doing just fine. My girl on the other hand I feel has just gotten bored with some of the food.

So for her I was just looking around at new diets, thought a change may help her to not be so bored with her fruit and stuff.

She is healthy and I do like the HPW so when I seen there was maybe another way to make the HPW I thought wow that just might be the change I need for her.

Of course though I wanted to do my homework on this new diet and know that it was safe to try. Thanks for all the help and information. I will look forward to Krises reply's when she gets back. smile

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/31/09 12:46 AM

If it is just the fruits and veggies she is being picky with a couple of things to keep in mind...One all gliders go through phases where the love something and the next few nights they wont touch it and then they go back to loving it again...who knows why.

Another thing, you can always switch up the fruits and veggies. They dont have to remain the same. Just watch your ratios is all. And be careful not to overdo foods high in oxalates.

And if you just want to try another diet, well you know what? Thats ok too! Only you can be for sure what is best for YOUR gliders. It is your responsibility to make sure they are being fed, housed, and cared for properly, and although the rest of us can give tons of advice, you are the one making the final choice. And it is very obvious, trying to find a good diet you can feed your gliders and keeping them healthy is certainly what you are doing. So kudos to you!! clap

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 12/31/09 04:50 PM

If you are finding your gliders are being picky with the fruits and veggies you might also try switching up the presentation.

I let my gliders hunt for dinner a couple nights each week. Instead of their usual divided plate, I use hanging bird cups at random locations in the cage. They seem to enjoy finding their food while playing. I always have clean plates on foraging nights.

They may not be tired of the HPW diet. Maybe they are bored finding it in the same spot each night.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/01/10 01:25 AM

Thanks OtteMom, that sound great! I have not tried it this way yet so I think I will. Let's hope this works for her. smile

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/01/10 09:53 PM

Hi guys! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Sorry I am just now getting over here.. I have been having so much FUN cleaning and purging out my house... YES there will be a HUGE mystery box coming..

Anyway... Let me read through this real quick and see if I can answer your questions.

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/01/10 10:42 PM

1- it only looks complicated.. it is VERY VERY easy! LOL I make about 10 batches at a time in under an hour.. tip on time saving.... get a nice size food processor. If you cant stand doing fresh collards because they are HUGE and take the most time to chop and mix, use the ones in bags. Keep in mind though it's not for the lazy glider owners.. no offense you know I love ya.. but it's just not. Glider are exotic animals.. they need and deserve a few exotic things dont ya think?

2- smell... my gliders smell has reduced significantly!! WHY? because everything is natural and not processed. However no matter what you feed, your gliders will have some sorta smell they are animals after all.

3- how many are feeding? I really dont know.. I've been getting more and more emails and PM's lately about it though. I've only had it on my website since early fall and just posted it here on GC maybe a month ago.

4- I have been feeding a variation with minor changes for a year.

5- My gliders look great and are very active. I had blood taken before, during and after their diet changes... and will be retesting everyone again in March.

SOY... ohhhyeeevvaaa... LOL
this is the hottest topic and FULL of debate throughout the health world I think... for every "study" to prove there are 2 more that disprove... Now if someone wants to ask me why I dont believe in a soy based diet for my glider or ANY of my animals.. it's simple.. gliders IMO need animal protein. Soy is just a cheap substandard substitute. I personally like feeding a diet as natural as possible. I think everyone will agree that getting what your body needs from actual food is better.

Quote:
As for Kris's diet. I do know of one person that feeds it. I've seen it in the cages being fed and I wouldn't choose that diet for my gliders simply because of the looks of it. It is all blended together and offers little in the way of "stimulation" to the gliders. Most of my gliders like food they can grab ahold of and run to their favorite place to eat. I just don't see that happening with Kris's diet.

T- not sure what our Ms Lauren is doin over there LOL.. but I take great time.. it's actually why it takes time to prepare in chopping small, med and big pieces with everything in there.. my gliders eat everything with their hands... this is def NOT a bend over and slurp your dinner thing lol. If that's what you saw.. Ms Lauren is being lazy!! LOVE YOU LAUREN!

The HPW diet is all liquid though usually with fruits and veggies on the side.. but I think more and more people are mixing the 2?

I aint even touching the Nicole issue. LOL but there has been several other gliders that are showing calcium deficient. If you are feeding the HPW diet.. please make sure you are balancing the mix AND fruits and veggies out and aim for a 2:1 ratio.

If I missed anything.. just scream at me!

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/01/10 11:07 PM

Oh and you asked about pictures of my gliders and threads.. they are over on Sugar Glider Neighborhood.. just click the link in my siggy!

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/02/10 12:00 AM

Is that a free site like this one?

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/02/10 12:10 AM

sure is!

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/02/10 01:18 AM

Quote:
there has been several other gliders that are showing calcium deficient.

Really? Who else is having issues? I have been trying to keep track and havent seen anything for a while now.

Was it diet related or were there illnesses involved?

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/02/10 01:40 AM

rather let those come forward.. but yes diet related not all HPW though.
Posted By: Chris_R

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/02/10 01:46 AM

Many many "outside" reasons for a gliders inability to absorb calcium occur that is NOT diet related at all....parasites, infection, metabolic issues etc....

Then there is the phosphourus issue...Gliders are nocturnal, their bodies already produce enzymes etc that break down the calcium to be absorbed. If you are feeding the fruits and veggies that are high in phosphours you can actually break down the calcium to much so that it passes through without being absorbed thus causing a defiency........

Ive run bloodwork on my gliders on the HPW diet...My calcium numbers are about as perfect as they get

Re: Would like to know everyones opinion Good or B - 01/02/10 02:37 AM

Very true! There are a huge amount of factors.. that is why balance is the key to nutrition with being a little picky on what you feed.. organic, non processed foods, etc. My diet is not for every glider owner. It's not the cheapest or the easiest but it is balanced with fresh, whole foods.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL