GliderCENTRAL

Intact to Intact Intro

Posted By: Anonymous

Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:09 PM

I've been in search of a cage mate/buddy for my intact male (approx 1 yr old). We've had him over 2 months now and he's done extremely well. His previous owner warned of biting, pouch protectiveness, etc...but he's been a gentle little boy. I carry him in the bonding pouch, spend a lot of time handling him in the early evenings and talking to and interacting with him into the mornings...so he's not lacking attention.

If I were to get another intact male- would that spell trouble? Would it be better to leave him a single boy than to introduce an intact male? I would slowly introduce them to be sure they got along, anyways.

Thanks

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:27 PM

This is a big No-No. Intact males will most likely fight. If you get one or both of them neutered before doing intro's that would be OK. I would suggest neutering both though.

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:28 PM

why dont u get a neutered male?? i just introed a neutered male and an unneutered male and they love each other. just a thought.

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:29 PM

I have house intact males together for years and have never once had a problem having 2 males together. The only draw back to having 2 boys together is the scent marking. 2 males together = 1 big stink.

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:43 PM

the neutered to intact was what I was thinking about doing, but... wondered if mine would show dominance over the neutered and cause problems. I've been in contact with a woman who has an intact that she was going to neuter and intro to her girls, but she may let me adopt him intact.

He's a little stinky and the thought of two stinky boys...is making me reconsider anyways. I've got a good sniffer and can smell everything- well before others can. blush

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:49 PM

Yeah, I am actually getting 3 boys neutered today solely because of the smell. They are all housed together, along with another neutered male, and the smell is ungodly. Just having them out of the house has made a huge difference in smell. I can't wait to have a nice, non-stinky glider room.

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:50 PM

I also have two intact males together (they were together when i got them) and it can get pretty stinky. It seems with my boys if one marks the other is coming up right behind him to mark over the spot. crazy

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 03:57 PM

ok, I think you've convinced me to reconsider this even more. I can't do overload on smell. Like I said, my sniffer works way too well. worried

I will just have to wait until I can get mine neutered and add a female companion or another NM.

Mine is not in any way bored. I just know that they are colony animals and prefer another one around.

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 04:49 PM

Lol nothing wrong with a good sniffer. Just keeping looking and get your little man fixed and it will all work out.

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 05:06 PM

Thank you! I will smile
Posted By: mattysmom

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/19/08 05:26 PM

Hi, I have two intact males together who were introduced young and have been together several years. They never fuss at each other and I guess the thrill is gone - they don't mark/stink either. It can be done, putting two intact males together, but as mentioned, it's a safer bet to neuter or at least have one neutered. I have two WFB brothers together also but they grew up together. So much depends on gliders' personalities too.
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/20/08 05:47 PM

Just thought I'd throw in there that my neutered male STINKS. He is a crazy scent marker. Everyone is under the impression that neutered males don't smell but it's simply not true. Neutering doesn't always solve that problem.

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/21/08 11:17 AM

My intact males hate each other. I've never met sexually mature intact males who don't fight. If introduced very early they may never fight. Usually they will though.

I've tried to introduce very young males to one-year-old males and have never had success. For me it just won't happen, no matter the age.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Intact to Intact Intro - 08/21/08 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Gossamer
Just thought I'd throw in there that my neutered male STINKS. He is a crazy scent marker. Everyone is under the impression that neutered males don't smell but it's simply not true. Neutering doesn't always solve that problem.

None of our neutered males leave a scent or mark anything. We have 5 neutered males .. so far.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL