GliderCENTRAL

Working night shift?

Posted By: SugarSioux

Working night shift? - 12/12/11 01:27 AM

Hi guys,

So I recently got certified as a nurse aide, and the only shift I've been able to secure at the facility where I work now is 11-7. I need to work full-time, and when they initially were hiring me they said I could work days, but something happened at the administrative level and I'm just taking what I can get because in this economy I can't really afford to turn work down.
I'm worried about when to do tent time. I have to leave my home around 10 to get to work on time (it's a 40 minute drive but I live in NJ, and one always has to account for potential traffic issues even at night). I have four gliders, 2 pairs in 2 cages respectively. They're accustomed to being taken out around 11pm or 12 am, and I don't want to stress them by taking them out too early but I don't want them to be in the cage all night either! Is 8 pm too early to take them out to play? I've been trying for a couple of nights but they just crawl back in my shirt and go to sleep (after a few dirty looks, lol). Do you guys think they can adjust to waking up that early or is it cruel? I had hoped they would still play early in the morning because when I get back around 8:30 they are often still out eating, but when I took them in the room where the tent is even with the blinds closed and the lights turned out I think it was too much light for them/they were too sleepy because again, they just crawled back into my sweatshirt and went back to sleep. Does anyone else have a similar situation? I don't want to be unfair to my pets but I also have to work frown
Posted By: Feather

Re: Working night shift? - 12/12/11 02:07 AM

It won't hurt them to come out a little earlier, it may take some time for them to get acclimated to a new schedule.

You could also do one pair at night and one pair when you get home in the morning.

Congrats on the new job.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Working night shift? - 12/12/11 02:23 AM

Another option is to just let them get used to being in their cage at night and do playtime in the mornings when you get home! smile

Re: Working night shift? - 12/12/11 02:29 AM

Thanks guys! I'm so relieved to know there are other options that are okay for them!
Posted By: snugglesmom

Re: Working night shift? - 12/12/11 02:59 AM

I work nights and my babies have gotten use to my schedule very quickly. Their room has black out curtains on it and they are still up and ready to play with mom when I get home. Good luck. I am sure your babies will quickly adjust to your new schedule!
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Working night shift? - 12/12/11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
Another option is to just let them get used to being in their cage at night and do playtime in the mornings when you get home! smile

thumb

Re: Working night shift? - 12/12/11 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: snugglesmom
I work nights and my babies have gotten use to my schedule very quickly. Their room has black out curtains on it and they are still up and ready to play with mom when I get home. Good luck. I am sure your babies will quickly adjust to your new schedule!

Yay, so glad to hear this! Thank you!
Posted By: GliderGuy540

Re: Working night shift? - 12/12/11 05:33 PM

My trio usually doesn't get up until 1030pm or later, but lately they've been getting up around 530pm and wanting to snack and play a bit. Since they were up early we went to the tent and they played more that evening than they had in quite awhile. Moral of the story is that their schedules are pretty flexible! :thumb2:
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL